Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6061626364656667686970...LastNext
Current Page: 65 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 20, 2022 01:49

Taylor1
dcba
TravelinMan

By what standards?!?!

Leeds crushes this and I'll take L&G with worse sonics because the performance is incredible and they were at their absolute peak.

Exile band = greatest R&R band of all time.

some people think the band reached its live apex after Taylor left, probably around the time of the Hampton ppv.
This is not their best live release.Some of it is as great as they’ve been live.But nothing topsMidnight Rambler,You Can’t Always Get What You Want,Street FightingMan,from Brussels, Love in Vain from L&G, Sympathy from Get Yer Ya Ya’sOut, songs from LA Friday, Happy and others from Atlantic City 1989.And there other live performances during their incomparable career

Of course it's subjective what is their best live release. MOCAMBO is in the top 5 for me. Is it their best? Time will tell.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 20, 2022 03:57

GasLightStreet
Taylor1
dcba
TravelinMan

By what standards?!?!

Leeds crushes this and I'll take L&G with worse sonics because the performance is incredible and they were at their absolute peak.

some people think the band reached its live apex after Taylor left, probably around the time of the Hampton ppv.
This is not their best live release.Some of it is as great as they’ve been live.But nothing topsMidnight Rambler,You Can’t Always Get What You Want,Street FightingMan,from Brussels, Love in Vain from L&G, Sympathy from Get Yer Ya Ya’sOut, songs from LA Friday, Happy and others from Atlantic City 1989.And there other live performances during their incomparable career

Of course it's subjective what is their best live release. MOCAMBO is in the top 5 for me. Is it their best? Time will tell.

Of course it’s subjective and of course fans are going to have overly emotional reactions about a new release.

BUT…There’s a reason that most of Stones’ lore has been centered around Exile, the South of France, and the 1972 North American Tour. I don’t see that changing. Books, documentaries, films; it’s unequivocally their peak in pop culture and musicianship.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 20, 2022 04:11

OK, right here, right now, this is my very favorite Stones live album. Mainly because it is new, exciting, vibrant, and just downright excellent! But, that being said, when the smoke clears and things settle down, there are at least four Taylor-era official Live albums that I would rank above this. But right now, God dammit, this album is so much fun! I can’t get enough of it! I can only hope there are some more releases like this in the future. “Got enough to drink, ‘ave ya?”

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: May 20, 2022 05:12

Ok, call me a crazy mama (no pun intended spinning smiley sticking its tongue out) but is the version of Crazy Mama a mix of the March 4th show and March 5th show? I'm listening to them side by side and I'm hearing a lot of similarities and differences:

Differences: March 4th he sings "If you don't believe I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna bust your knees with a bullet" while March 5th he sings "If you don't believe I'm gonna do it, wait for the speed of the bullet."

Similar: March 4th & 5th he says, "You gonna pay high prices for your sacrifices, yes you will child."

Am I crazy? lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-20 05:13 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 20, 2022 07:56

I’ll put it top 5 in my favorite official releases……

Brussels Affair ‘73
El Mocambo ‘77
Texas ‘78
Hampton ‘81
Paradiso ‘95

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-20 08:02 by mnewman505.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 20, 2022 07:58

For 2022... MOCAMBO is the best live recording The Rolling Stones have ever released.

It really is amazing.

Part of the joy of it, like YA YAS, and SOME GIRLS, is the focus of recent and new material and then... the blues covers. 5 from BLACK AND BLUE, plus 1 from those sessions... 3 from IORR. The intent of the BAB songs comes through - they were still rolling on that album, rightfully so, and the performances are fantastic.

The beauty of MOCAMBO is that it's different, like NO SECURITY was different.

Maybe by fall I'll think otherwise and get back to YA YAS being the best or whatever, SOME GIRLS is exceptional. But for now this has captured my ear like no other live release.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 20, 2022 08:16

JordyLicks96
schwonek
hockenheim95
RobertJohnson
Here the complete setlists from both nights:

[www.setlist.fm]

[www.setlist.fm]

No, this is not the complete setlist. For the first night it even says most likely incomplete in the notes.

I also doubt they opened with Route 66.

They actually did open with Route 66. Small portion of a story from someone who there both nights. Bottom right, "they kick off with Route 66 as everyone in the place immediately stands on tables and chiars."

Yeah it's the same info in The Stones Setlist Bible from 1997 and Jacques' scrapbook from the 1977-78 period.

What is so inconciveable with open up with Route 66 at a club gig?!?!?!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-20 08:16 by MadMax.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 20, 2022 11:42

Taylor1
dcba
TravelinMan

By what standards?!?!

I said 'this is their best OFFICIAL live release'.

To me, nothing beats the Brussels Affair bootleg, with the Wembley version of Happy, GS and SFM instead of the Brussels version. But this is also partially nostalgia, as I have listened to this boot since I was 10, and basically learned how to play guitar over it.

All the rest is just taste. I love the pure and raw energy of 1972 Stones, and Taylor is a fabulous lead player, but as a band they indeed got better with age, culminating into their best ever performance at Hampton 1981.

I find Charlie Watts to be at his peak on the 1975 tour, and the Mocambo recording is an excellent showcase of that. Wyman got better and better, going from decent in the early 1970's to this terrific melodic bass player in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

And for as much as I love Taylor's leads, as a musician and guitar player I simply find the interplay of Wood and Richards way more interesting, and much harder to do right. There's a dozen Mick Taylor's out their being able to play amazing solo's, but nobody can play these intricate Wood and Richards rhythm lines where two parts become much more than just that. What Wood and Richards where able to pull off in 1978 and 1981 on a good night hasn't been bettered ever since.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-20 14:35 by Mathijs.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 20, 2022 15:00

Mathijs
Taylor1
dcba
TravelinMan

By what standards?!?!

To me, nothing beats the Brussels Affair bootleg, with the Wembley version of Happy, GS and SFM instead of the Brussels version. But this is also partially nostalgia, as I have listened to this boot since I was 10, and basically learned how to play guitar over it.

All the rest is just taste. I love the pure and raw energy of 1972 Stones, and Taylor is a fabulous lead player, but as a band they indeed got better with age, culminating into their best ever performance at Hampton 1981.

I find Charlie Watts to be at his peak on the 1975 tour, and the Mocambo recording is an excellent showcase of that. Wyman got better and better, going from decent in the early 1970's to this terrific melodic bass player in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

And for as much as I love Taylor's leads, as a musician and guitar player I simply find the interplay of Wood and Richards way more interesting, and much harder to do right. There's a dozen Mick Taylor's out their being able to play amazing solo's, but nobody can play these intricate Wood and Richards rhythm lines where two parts become much more than just that. What Wood and Richards where able to pull off in 1978 and 1981 on a good night hasn't been bettered ever since.

Mathijs
I like the way Wood and Richards played in 1975-1977 much better than the so called two guitar one sound of1978-1981.You are a extremely knowledgeable about guitar playing, but I think the weaving sound was not as good a listening experience. And the band wasn’t as good

Date: May 20, 2022 15:11

Mathijs
Taylor1
dcba
TravelinMan

By what standards?!?!

Mathijs

I have never been able to get into 1981 because it seems safe and there is a sax playing over everything the whole time it seems. The KC gig was interesting because Taylor was there, but I’ve never been floored by the performances.

I prefer Hopkins to any other piano player they’ve had and I love the Keys/Price tasteful horn combo as well.

Which songs on this release have that intricate Richards/Wood guitar playing? It’s definitely not the end of Jumpin Jack!

Date: May 20, 2022 15:31

TravelinMan

I have never been able to get into 1981 because it seems safe and there is a sax playing over everything the whole time it seems. The KC gig was interesting because Taylor was there, but I’ve never been floored by the performances.

I prefer Hopkins to any other piano player they’ve had and I love the Keys/Price tasteful horn combo as well.

Which songs on this release have that intricate Richards/Wood guitar playing? It’s definitely not the end of Jumpin Jack!

Just listen to Hampton five times and you will find out it really is one of their best gigs. Ernie Watts, while adding his own flavor, really pushes Keith and Ron to jam, with call and response, sometimes even in a jazz kind of way. Ian Stewart is playing boogie on most tracks, with Ian McLagan adding great hammond flavor to tracks like Imagination.

Really the entire gig is fantastic, but they did run out of steam on JJF and Satisfaction in my opinion. The solo bit on YCAGWY might have been great when you were there, but listening to it isn't the best experience.

Asolute fave's: Shattered, Black Lima, Imagination (no better Wyman than here, and Richards/Wood and Ernie Watts keep going for 10 minutes), Go-Go, Beast of Burden (best guitar interplay ever), Waiting on A Friend (with Richards playing the part everybody thinks Taylor does on record) and the mighty Let it Bleed with Keith's best solo of the day. Then Miss You is the best -and last ever - version.

Mathijs

Date: May 20, 2022 15:40

TravelinMan
Mathijs
Taylor1
dcba
TravelinMan

By what standards?!?!

Mathijs

I doubt there is nobody else could play those intricate guitar parts Wood-Richards played in1978-1981.As many as the lead guitarists you say Could play Taylor’s parts.In fact there are moments where Taylor and Richards do that, like the alternate All Down the Line from the Exile Deluxe release .But personally,I think that two guitar one sound band wasn’t as good live as1975-1977

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 20, 2022 16:22

Mathijs
Asolute fave's: Shattered, Black Lima, Imagination (no better Wyman than here, and Richards/Wood and Ernie Watts keep going for 10 minutes), Go-Go, Beast of Burden (best guitar interplay ever), Waiting on A Friend (with Richards playing the part everybody thinks Taylor does on record) and the mighty Let it Bleed with Keith's best solo of the day. Then Miss You is the best -and last ever - version.

I would add When the whip comes down as a real Bill Wyman showcase.

I read what you write about Ernie's role. There are a few moments that it's a bit
too much to my taste, but yeah, otherwise great, great, great.
It's amazing how much more I am attracted to the Hampton show than the Wembley 1982.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: May 20, 2022 16:28

JordyLicks96
Ok, call me a crazy mama (no pun intended spinning smiley sticking its tongue out) but is the version of Crazy Mama a mix of the March 4th show and March 5th show? I'm listening to them side by side and I'm hearing a lot of similarities and differences:

Differences: March 4th he sings "If you don't believe I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna bust your knees with a bullet" while March 5th he sings "If you don't believe I'm gonna do it, wait for the speed of the bullet."

Similar: March 4th & 5th he says, "You gonna pay high prices for your sacrifices, yes you will child."

Am I crazy? lol

Where do you have a recording of Crazy Mama from March 4?

Date: May 20, 2022 16:31

marcovandereijk
Mathijs

I would add When the whip comes down as a real Bill Wyman showcase.

I read what you write about Ernie's role. There are a few moments that it's a bit
too much to my taste, but yeah, otherwise great, great, great.
It's amazing how much more I am attracted to the Hampton show than the Wembley 1982.

I made a playlist on Spotify recently, with a song from Still Life and another one from Wembley back to back. I think it was Going To A Go-Go and Hang Fire.

I was stunned by how much better the Still Life track sounded (and I never complained about the Wembley release). The drums and guitars on Hang Fire were almost non-existent compared to that of Going To A Go-Go smiling smiley

Date: May 20, 2022 17:27

Mathijs
TravelinMan

Just listen to Hampton five times and you will find out it really is one of their best gigs. Ernie Watts, while adding his own flavor, really pushes Keith and Ron to jam, with call and response, sometimes even in a jazz kind of way. Ian Stewart is playing boogie on most tracks, with Ian McLagan adding great hammond flavor to tracks like Imagination.

Really the entire gig is fantastic, but they did run out of steam on JJF and Satisfaction in my opinion. The solo bit on YCAGWY might have been great when you were there, but listening to it isn't the best experience.

Mathijs

I will give Hampton another listen.

But what guitar interplay on Mocambo sets it apart? I've listened through once and I don't know, maybe I'm missing something. I also had just listened to a 72 boot, so that was fresh in my mind.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 20, 2022 17:41

Mathijs
Taylor1
dcba
TravelinMan

By what standards?!?!

Mathijs

I have Hampton 81. I rarely listen to it anymore as I find the sound of it, and all the ‘81 shows I have, to be too .. “weedy”. Can’t really describe it. The sound is “thin” and the tones just “off”. I often think they played out of tune. They didn’t, but such was the tone. MUCH prefer the loud, raucous, shambolic El Mocambo we’ve just been lucky to have been served. But as pointed out, it’s all personally subjective. And will time preserve the El Mocambo magic? We’ll see …

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-20 17:42 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 20, 2022 17:45

bitusa2012
Mathijs
Taylor1
dcba
TravelinMan

By what standards?!?!

Mathijs

I have Hampton 81. I rarely listen to it anymore as I find the sound of it, and all the ‘81 shows I have, to be too .. “weedy”. Can’t really describe it. The sound is “thin” and the tones just “off”. I often think they played out of tune. They didn’t, but such was the tone. MUCH prefer the loud, raucous, shambolic El Mocambo we’ve just been lucky to have been served. But as pointed out, it’s all personally subjective. And will time preserve the El Mocambo magic? We’ll see …

Time already did. We had LYL 45 years ago and for 45 years we craved an expanded "side 3", the far and away best side of LYL and we finally have it.

Date: May 20, 2022 17:45

Taylor1
I doubt there is nobody else could play those intricate guitar parts Wood-Richards played in1978-1981.As many as the lead guitarists you say Could play Taylor’s parts.In fact there are moments where Taylor and Richards do that, like the alternate All Down the Line from the Exile Deluxe release .But personally,I think that two guitar one sound band wasn’t as good live as1975-1977

There's really nothing to doubt. I do not know of any band that comes close to what Richards and Wood did in 1981, not even Richards and Wood themselves before and certainly after.

But you and TravelinMan on many occasions sound exactly like these Brian Jones fans who think that everything great was due to Brian or stolen from Brian or whatever. I find it all very narrow minded.

Mathijs

Date: May 20, 2022 18:22

Mathijs
Taylor1

There's really nothing to doubt. I do not know of any band that comes close to what Richards and Wood did in 1981, not even Richards and Wood themselves before and certainly after.

But you and TravelinMan on many occasions sound exactly like these Brian Jones fans who think that everything great was due to Brian or stolen from Brian or whatever. I find it all very narrow minded.

Mathijs

I've never attributed the Rolling Stones to being great due to one singular member. In fact, I preached the opposite here in this thread by saying the side musicians were the best they had in 1971 to early 1973 (just look at their credits). They added the Exile sound to that '72 tour, and subjectively that's my favorite era, therefore it is the best IMO.

As a guitarist of many years, I do not find the Ron Wood era particularly interesting. I do not find it hard at all to copy Ron Wood and I don't really enjoy his lead guitar tones. Perhaps if I didn't play guitar, I would be more enamored by his playing. drinking smiley

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 20, 2022 18:29

JordyLicks96

Am I crazy? lol

I really dig the version of Crazy Mama on El Mo. Re-listening to this album now. I agree with many on here. It is by far one of their best - if not THE best - live album ever released. The sound is amazing. I don't think it sounds compressed at all. The versions are incredible. Most of B&B played live - UNTHINKABLE by today's band!!! So many great deep, "rare" songs on here. Such was the intent of No Security, but this release succeeds where that one feels like a tossed together mess - No flow. I've always had a soft spot for B&B, as it was released the year I was born, and I find the versions of the songs on this release stellar. Really it is a phenomenal release, and I really enjoy the colored Tongues that are all over the place and associated with this release as well. They really did this one right. The best archival release in a long while!!!!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 20, 2022 18:46

And actually just thinking about the various colored tongues as I listen again on YT, there was a missed marketing opportunity for this one!! They could have released a limited edition deluxe CD bundle that came in a special box with a cord to plug the box into a computer or USB drive - similar to AC/DC's Power Up, and then have the cover tongue change colors! That would have been So Divine!!!

Date: May 20, 2022 19:51

Mathijs
Taylor1

Mathijs
I actually love all 3 versions of the band. No doubt the albums from 1966 - 1978 were their best. I just think their were certain live peaks , mostly with Taylor but in that class 1975-1977, 1989 and 1990. But its all subjective opinion. And I don't think they were at a peak from 1969 to 1974 soley because of Taylor. Mick and Keith were writing great songs at that time. Bill was as big a loss as Taylor. And the Brian years were great also.As for this weaving you talk about, aren't Taylor and Richards doing that here?video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 20, 2022 20:32

Holy Holy this album rips! Just received it this morning

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: May 20, 2022 21:11

This is agreat release!

Better mixing / mastering than most of the releases in the last years. And something really new. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 20, 2022 21:41

Taylor1
Mathijs
Taylor1

Mathijs
I actually love all 3 versions of the band. No doubt the albums from 1966 - 1978 were their best. I just think their were certain live peaks , mostly with Taylor but in that class 1975-1977, 1989 and 1990. But its all subjective opinion. And I don't think they were at a peak from 1969 to 1974 soley because of Taylor. Mick and Keith were writing great songs at that time. Bill was as big a loss as Taylor. And the Brian years were great also.As for this weaving you talk about, aren't Taylor and Richards doing that here?video: [youtu.be]
Sure sounds like it to me

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: May 20, 2022 22:00

I'm totally addicted to this. Literally played nothing else. Just magnificent!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 20, 2022 22:13

Keith and Ron, and the Stones in General had such a specific sound and way of playing in the late 70's and early 80's...they put so much of their own personality into it. It can only be "imitated, not duplicated", as they say. I think this is true of any of the eras up through the 80s, the main point being no one else can sound like them.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-20 23:05 by ryanpow.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: May 20, 2022 22:51

Already page 65. It surely is one of their top live releases and it shows how strong they were in the late 70s.
I am glad, that I can listen to one whole Mocambo gig. I was 14 when LYL was released and I loved it from the beginning. I still have my very girst vinyl of it. What a band!

Date: May 20, 2022 22:52

I agree Wyman's bass on Hampton is awesome. Imagination is just incredible from Hampton. You can watch Keith at the end trying to keep it going.

Want to hear Wood and Richards weave listen to YCAGWYW.

Mathijs
TravelinMan

Mathijs

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6061626364656667686970...LastNext
Current Page: 65 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home