Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5960616263646566676869...LastNext
Current Page: 64 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 19, 2022 13:02

Looks like the album is going to be number 7 in the U.K. not bad for a 45 year old recording that truly comprises of more rarities than big hits.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 19, 2022 13:02

Maindefender
TheGreek
dennycranium
rollmops
That second show at El Mocambo is the last time Billy Preston played live with the Rolling Stones.
Great performance by Billy.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Is this the time BP showed up with his own sound guys? Thus, his removal from performances?
I heard it was over Billy asking for a raise and was denied and that was all she wrote . Darn shame for sure !

Would Some Girls have happened with Preston in tow? How would he have fit on that album?
deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-19 13:03 by TheGreek.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 19, 2022 13:44

Amazon has the 4 LP set on sale for $100.

Great deal.. and comes with a digital copy.
[www.amazon.com]

Also ordered a Cockroaches tee direct from El Mocambo..

"An exact replica of the "Cockroaches 1977" tee - from when the mighty Rolling Stones surprised our stage under that moniker!"
[shop.elmocambo.com]

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 19, 2022 16:05

Bashlets
Looks like the album is going to be number 7 in the U.K. not bad for a 45 year old recording that truly comprises of more rarities than big hits.

It's down to #12 on yesterday's update, with no streaming and no price sale it will chart even lower tomorrow.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 19, 2022 16:20

MisterDDDD
Amazon has the 4 LP set on sale for $100.

Great deal.. and comes with a digital copy.
[www.amazon.com]

Also ordered a Cockroaches tee direct from El Mocambo..

"An exact replica of the "Cockroaches 1977" tee - from when the mighty Rolling Stones surprised our stage under that moniker!"
[shop.elmocambo.com]

That must have been a very short sale - at $112 now, and I very briefly got excited, but it's the black vinyl version LOL

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 19, 2022 16:36

georgelicks
Bashlets

It's down to #12 on yesterday's update, with no streaming and no price sale it will chart even lower tomorrow.

Price cannot be an issue here: the double CD is 16 euro on the official site.

I think that charts say a lot of the distance there is between internet bubbles and the real world.

Just compare these sales figures with:

- the number of tickets sold for RS concerts in the past 10 years

- the number of subscribers to this and other fan sites

- the number of posts to this and other fan sites since the first vault release asking for the Mocambo (taking into account that most of us not only still buy physical copies, but in many cases even multiple copies of the same release).

C

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 19, 2022 17:21

I must be missing something ...
Why are there FOUR vinyl discs ?

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: May 19, 2022 17:27

schillid

Only 3 - 4 tracks per LP side allow more dynamic (or how do you call this for vinyl?). And the last LP side is blank.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 19, 2022 18:22

Bill is brutal on Around and Around - last chorus... cool smiley

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 19, 2022 18:34

wiredallnight
schillid

Only 3 - 4 tracks per LP side allow more dynamic (or how do you call this for vinyl?). And the last LP side is blank.

Sound isn't impacted until around 22-23 minutes per side. If you make the first 5 sides four songs and side 6 three songs, all sides would be 21 minutes or less. They could've done 3 LPs (6 full sides) WITHOUT impacting sound quality.

Here's how it'd go:
A- 14:22
B- 20:16
C- 19:13
D- 18:32
E- 16:00
F- 18:07

There must be another reason, as the sound quality argument doesn't work in this situation (as I said in an earlier post in this thread).

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-19 18:45 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: May 19, 2022 19:20

WorriedAboutYou
I prefer this to any Taylor recordings. Just everything that a rock n' roll band should be. It sounds like they all absolutely love what they're doing, are completely committed and everyone bought their A game. What an utter joy to hear. Songs that I thought I was tired of are all injected with a new lease of life whilst the deeper cuts sound sensationally fresh, vital and exciting,

This album goes into the all time great Stones recordings with ease. I would play this to someone who'd never heard the band before and wanted to know what the fuss was about.

As great as MT was, I think he could not have fitted the late 70s and so forth Stones.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: May 19, 2022 19:22

NashvilleBlues

There must be another reason, as the sound quality argument doesn't work in this situation (as I said in an earlier post in this thread).

Yep, a cosmetic argument, a record and sleeve for each Stone minus Bill.

HMN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 19, 2022 19:28

Honestman
NashvilleBlues

Yep, a cosmetic argument, a record and sleeve for each Stone minus Bill.

I see the 4th record as the bonus record.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 19, 2022 19:40

NashvilleBlues
wiredallnight
schillid

Sound isn't impacted until around 22-23 minutes per side. If you make the first 5 sides four songs and side 6 three songs, all sides would be 21 minutes or less. They could've done 3 LPs (6 full sides) WITHOUT impacting sound quality.

Here's how it'd go:

As a co-owner of a vinyl record pressing plant some decades ago I can tell that the general rule was "keep it to up to 20 minutes per LP side to guarantee no quality loss". Of course, this 20 minutes maximum general rule, as almost everything in life, depends on various factors, the nature of the content being only one of them - if the music has a lot of quiet passages or parts with no drums or bass for example, you could reach these 22-23 minutes you describe. One could certainly argue that the audience noise parts and stage banter between songs would count as such passages.

However, it seems that they have strictly followed the "maximum 20 minutes" - rule to be on the "safe side". Plus they may have preferred to have the bonus tracks on a separate side. I don't think that monetary greed is of any concern here. The people who buy the 4 LP-set at these prices would most likely have paid the very same prices for a 3 LP-set. This stuff is aimed at the collector, and these serious collectors are like, well, junkies - and the band and their record company only know that all too well!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-19 20:58 by retired_dog.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 19, 2022 20:03

retired_dog
...Plus they may have preferred to have the bonus tracks on a separate side.

What are considered to be the bonus tracks?

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 19, 2022 20:06

Mathijs
jason8903
Does anyone think that Mick, keith or Ronnie have listened to this show. I dont think they were involved in any of the re-mixing. would be cool if they listened to it at the rehearsal studio.

Mick listens to the various mixes and then ok's then one he thinks is best. So yes he is involved.

I think this is the first release where Mick approved three flawed tracks to be released: Melody, which is an impromptu jam while Ronnie is away, Luxury, which is as Mick calls it aptly 'a shambles', and Worried About You, which has Keith very much out of tune for most it the track.

Still, this is the best ever official Stones release.

Mathijs

By what standards?!?!

Leeds crushes this and I'll take L&G with worse sonics because the performance is incredible and they were at their absolute peak.

Exile band = greatest R&R band of all time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-19 20:06 by TravelinMan.

Date: May 19, 2022 20:17

retired_dog
NashvilleBlues
wiredallnight
schillid

Here's how it'd go:

As a co-owner of a vinyl record pressing plant some decades ago I can tell that the general rule was "keep it to up to 20 minutes per LP side to guarantee no quality loss". Of course, these 20 minutes maximum general rule, as almost everything in life, depends on various factors, the nature of the content being only one of them - if the music has a lot of quiet passages or parts with no drums or bass for example, you could reach these 22-23 minutes you describe. One could certainly argue that the audience noise parts and stage banter between songs would count as such passages.

However, it seems that they have strictly followed the "maximum 20 minutes" - rule to be on the "safe side". Plus they may have preferred to have the bonus tracks on a separate side. I don't think that monetary greed is of any concern here. The people who buy the 4 LP-set at these prices would most likely have paid the very same prices for a 3 LP-set. This stuff is aimed at the collector, and these serious collectors are like, well, junkies - and the band and their record company only know that all too well!

Thanks for your input!

Date: May 19, 2022 20:35

LeonidP
retired_dog

Melody, Luxury and Worried About You (from the other show).

Date: May 19, 2022 20:43

Here's how to make all 6 sides less than 20 minutes:
A- 19:20 (5 songs)
B- 15:18 (3)
C- 19:13 (4)
D- 18:32 (4)
E- 16:00 (4)
F- 18:07 (3) (All bonus songs still on one side)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-19 20:44 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 19, 2022 21:08

NashvilleBlues
Here's how to make all 6 sides less than 20 minutes:
A- 19:20 (5 songs)
B- 15:18 (3)
C- 19:13 (4)
D- 18:32 (4)
E- 16:00 (4)
F- 18:07 (3) (All bonus songs still on one side)

This is indeed how it could have been done even by strictly following the 20 minute general rule... I mean, even your side B- 20:16 in your former post would have been ok, 16 seconds above 20 minutes surely make no difference, in particular as there are audience noises between songs.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: May 19, 2022 21:55

schwonek
hockenheim95
RobertJohnson
Here the complete setlists from both nights:

[www.setlist.fm]

[www.setlist.fm]

No, this is not the complete setlist. For the first night it even says most likely incomplete in the notes.

I also doubt they opened with Route 66.

They actually did open with Route 66. Small portion of a story from someone who there both nights. Bottom right, "they kick off with Route 66 as everyone in the place immediately stands on tables and chiars."

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: May 19, 2022 22:01

I believe these are the confirmed songs played from the first night (obviously from the 4 officially released including Little Red Rooster from LOVE YOU LIVE and 2 from bootlegs):

Route 66
Let's Spend The Night Together
Crackin' Up
Worried About You
Dance Little Sister
Melody
Crazy Mama
Luxury
Little Red Rooster
Around and Around
+ more orthodox stage numbers

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: May 19, 2022 22:30

I wonder if the positive response to El Mocambo will have any influence on the setlists for upcoming shows. Crackin up, Crazy Mama, dance little sister or Hand of fate would be nice.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 19, 2022 22:30

To listen the (incredible) stuff now, it is funny how casually one of the principals recalls the gigs, nothing extraordinary there, business as normal:

"Musically, our opening night at the El Mocambe was not that good. We were all very loose and the first half was far from right. The second part went very much better and, overall, we had a good time. We played many of the songs from the Knebworth set, including a lot of the old numbers. By the second night, word had got around and it was very difficult to get in. Our playing was much improved and Eddie Kramer, who used to work at Olympic Studio, recorded the whole thing. The next day we listened to the tapes, trying to relax before Keith appeared in court the next day." (Bill Wyman, ROLLING WITH THE STONES.)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-19 22:33 by Doxa.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 19, 2022 22:56

TravelinMan

By what standards?!?!

Leeds crushes this and I'll take L&G with worse sonics because the performance is incredible and they were at their absolute peak.

some people think the band reached its live apex after Taylor left, probably around the time of the Hampton ppv.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 19, 2022 23:15

dcba
TravelinMan

By what standards?!?!

some people think the band reached its live apex after Taylor left, probably around the time of the Hampton ppv.
This is not their best live release.Some of it is as great as they’ve been live.But nothing topsMidnight Rambler,You Can’t Always Get What You Want,Street FightingMan,from Brussels, Love in Vain from L&G, Sympathy from Get Yer Ya Ya’sOut, songs from LA Friday, Happy and others from Atlantic City 1989.And there other live performances during their incomparable career

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-19 23:17 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 19, 2022 23:32

Somehow related to this thread:

Trial Transcript of Keith Richards' infamous heroin bust. Toronto, Ontario: New Court House, 23-24 October, 1978

[www.sothebys.com]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 20, 2022 00:16

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
retired_dog

Melody, Luxury and Worried About You (from the other show).

smileys with beer

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 20, 2022 00:21

I wonder who will buy the transcript…? (And whether it will be in time for the Museum opening? grinning smiley)

There are still some good stories out there about the events surrounding the arrest, the trial etc, and I’m trying to nudge one particularly good one to be shared.

Nudge, nudge.

You know who you are! winking smiley

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 20, 2022 00:47

I love Billy P's back up vox, just great, especially on 'Cray-ay-ayzy Mama'.

A loose and soulful concoction

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5960616263646566676869...LastNext
Current Page: 64 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2005
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home