Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667...LastNext
Current Page: 62 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: May 18, 2022 11:23

RobertJohnson
Here the complete setlists from both nights:

[www.setlist.fm]

[www.setlist.fm]

No, this is not the complete setlist. For the first night it even says most likely incomplete in the notes.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 18, 2022 11:35

Listening to it on Spotify now. Sounds amazing, definitely a top performance, the whole band sound inspired. I've never cared all that much for Billy Preston's contributions to the Stones, but he sure plays well here. The mixture of new material from '76 together with the oldies and some mid-70s rarities is fantastic, of course.

All songs are good, but this has got to be the best version of Hot Stuff ever. What a groove.

I agree with GasLightStreet – it could easily have been released as an LP with only Mocambo tunes back in '77. I guess they were already stuck with the plan to release something from '75–76.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 18, 2022 11:39

Damn, Ronnie is killing it on Let's Spend The Night Together! Perhaps the only good version of that song? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: May 18, 2022 12:44

hockenheim95
RobertJohnson
Here the complete setlists from both nights:

[www.setlist.fm]

[www.setlist.fm]

No, this is not the complete setlist. For the first night it even says most likely incomplete in the notes.

I also doubt they opened with Route 66.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 18, 2022 12:53

That second show at El Mocambo is the last time Billy Preston played live with the Rolling Stones.
Great performance by Billy.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 18, 2022 13:12

I gotta admit that the setlist for this release is outstanding and then some and really features all the key songs for me .smiling smiley

Date: May 18, 2022 13:13

rollmops
That second show at El Mocambo is the last time Billy Preston played live with the Rolling Stones.
Rockandroll,
Mops
To me that is very sad

Posted by: erad ()
Date: May 18, 2022 13:17

Wyman kills it on Worried About You. I'm not one to slag off Darryl like some on here but Bill really kills it on this track, no comparison to the numerous versions Darryl has played on imo. Bill is just so in the pocket!

A shame it was never performed live by this version of the band apart from this one off - 4 years before it was released on Tattoo You!

I have played it a few times just today!

Date: May 18, 2022 13:21

retired_dog
rollmops
That take of Fool to Cry is excellent. Billy Preston had a great influence on Mick and the Stones' music for a while. Beside the keyboards, Preston used his voice pretty efficiently, falsetto, high pitched harmonies, responses to Mick ad libs and funny vocal tricks. Those two were doing vocal weaving while Keithandronnie used their guitars to rock-crochet a l'ancienne!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Yes, absolutely. Billy Preston is the so far largely unsung hero here in this thread. Great musicianship all around. A truly valuable sideman!

Billy was great on those tours. Him and Jagger had great chemistry and energy together, the way he responded to Mick's funny ad-libs was great. Not to mention the keyboard wizardy!

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: May 18, 2022 14:00

The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo is just incredible.

The 75-77 version of the band at the peak of their powers.

Raw, funky, dirty, grimey, greasy, rockin, rollin.

Makes u remember why you fell in love with this all those years ago.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 18, 2022 14:31

jigsaw69

THIS

Date: May 18, 2022 14:38

Another tidbit from me: Hearing Ronnie and Keith both on slide for Little Red Rooster is a treat on this mix.

Personally I don't understand the complaints about the mix/SQ - I sure as hell could picture being in that club while listening!

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: May 18, 2022 15:31

rollmops
Rockandroll,
Mops

Is this the time BP showed up with his own sound guys? Thus, his removal from performances?

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: May 18, 2022 15:45

I prefer this to any Taylor recordings. Just everything that a rock n' roll band should be. It sounds like they all absolutely love what they're doing, are completely committed and everyone bought their A game. What an utter joy to hear. Songs that I thought I was tired of are all injected with a new lease of life whilst the deeper cuts sound sensationally fresh, vital and exciting,

This album goes into the all time great Stones recordings with ease. I would play this to someone who'd never heard the band before and wanted to know what the fuss was about.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 18, 2022 15:46

I understand that Billy wanted an equal cut of the money. Mick said "See ya".

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: May 18, 2022 15:47

Rip This
jigsaw69

THIS

THIS aka The Rolling Stones !!!!!!!!!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: May 18, 2022 16:10

rollmops
Rockandroll,
Mops
Yes, it was his last show with the Stones. He inspired their music and was a great piano player and singer.
Some weeks ago I saw a clip with him playing piano and singin for some older black ladies. Impressing artist.

Date: May 18, 2022 16:15

dennycranium
rollmops
Rockandroll,
Mops

Is this the time BP showed up with his own sound guys? Thus, his removal from performances?
I heard it was over Billy asking for a raise and was denied and that was all she wrote . Darn shame for sure !

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 18, 2022 16:34

Such an incredible release! Still just euphorically listening to it, no any detailed analysis yet. Love reading my fellow fan impressions and reviews here, but as far as 'professional' reviews go, I noticed I am not interested at all reading them. Usually I like checking them, but this time I feel there's nothing they can say. There is nothing they know I wouldn't, and I couldn't care less of their personal opinions. This release of the first-class historical importance meeting the highest quality just goes way beyond the contingent taste of 'critic section'.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-18 16:43 by Doxa.

Date: May 18, 2022 16:38

Elmo Lewis
I understand that Billy wanted an equal cut of the money. Mick said "See ya".
Exactly how all the good ones get away . The Twins sure did learn there lessons all too well from Andrew Loog Oldham . Oldham along with Eric Easton set up a company called Impact Sound . So instead of having the Stones sign a record deal with Decca , they signed with Impact Sound , which retained control of the groups masters , which were then leased to Decca . An idea learned for Phil Spector . Impact Sound received a 14% royalty from Decca ,but paid the Stones only 6% out of which Oldham and Eric Easton received 25% management fee . I forgot to mention that Oldham was the one that brought in Allan Klein (thanks ) . So in 1967 when Oldham was forced to resign as manager of the Stones ,Oldham sold his rights to ALLAN KLEIN ! One more footnote is that Oldham today is 78 years old , same age as the Twins !

Date: May 18, 2022 16:43

Doxa
Such an incredible release! Still just euphorically listening to it, no any detailed analysis yet. Love reading my fellow fan impressions and reviews here, but as far as 'professional' reviews go, I noticed I am not interested at all reading them. There is nothing they know I wouldn't, and I couldn't care less of their personal opinions. This release of the first-class historical importance meeting the highest quality just goes way beyond the contingent taste of 'critic section'. There's nothing they can add to it.

- Doxa
Exactly , as I read one the other day that mentioned something to the effect of that El Mocambo was a "comeback" of sorts . Really ? As if this reviewer must have been living in a cave or something . My goodness the Stones were at the ultimate top of the summit / peak of there powers , and to read this comment really got my dander up about the ignorance from this so called journalist .

Posted by: jason8903 ()
Date: May 18, 2022 17:04

Does anyone think that Mick, keith or Ronnie have listened to this show. I dont think they were involved in any of the re-mixing. would be cool if they listened to it at the rehearsal studio.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 18, 2022 17:19

Crazy to me that the SHM CD's aren't much more than the regular CD version. It's a no brainer, IMO, to spring for the better version........

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 18, 2022 17:31

That last few minutes of JJF. JESUS H CHRIST. WHAT WERE THEY ON? Don’t answer that…

Rod

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 18, 2022 18:06

bitusa2012
That last few minutes of JJF. JESUS H CHRIST. WHAT WERE THEY ON? Don’t answer that…

I still try.smiling smiley Knowing Keith's troubles and the uncertainty of the future, it could be very well that they were going like 'this is it, could be the very last time we ever play together live'...

- Doxa

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: May 18, 2022 18:11

Last few minutes of Star Star are absolutely epic as well. What a phenomenal performance!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 18, 2022 18:55

WorriedAboutYou
Last few minutes of Star Star are absolutely epic as well. What a phenomenal performance!

Chuck Berry in outer space... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 18, 2022 19:12

crholmstrom
WorriedAboutYou

Chuck Berry in outer space... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

That would be "Outa-Space".

Signed,

Billy Preston

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 18, 2022 19:22

jason8903
Does anyone think that Mick, keith or Ronnie have listened to this show. I dont think they were involved in any of the re-mixing. would be cool if they listened to it at the rehearsal studio.

Mick listens to the various mixes and then ok's then one he thinks is best. So yes he is involved.

I think this is the first release where Mick approved three flawed tracks to be released: Melody, which is an impromptu jam while Ronnie is away, Luxury, which is as Mick calls it aptly 'a shambles', and Worried About You, which has Keith very much out of tune for most it the track.

Still, this is the best ever official Stones release.

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 18, 2022 19:58

Mathijs

I think this is the first release where Mick approved three flawed tracks to be released: Melody, which is an impromptu jam while Ronnie is away, Luxury, which is as Mick calls it aptly 'a shambles', and Worried About You, which has Keith very much out of tune for most it the track.

Mathijs

I see it as a kind gesture from Mick to the trainspotters aka the IORR crowd. Flawed or "tentative" they're included in the release to make sure we can enjoy one version of all the songs played during these 2 nights... (yeah!)

I'd add WLBlues to these three : the Mick "control freak" Jagger we knew a few years would have never let this one see the light.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667...LastNext
Current Page: 62 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1525
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home