Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465...LastNext
Current Page: 60 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 16, 2022 18:35

DandelionPowderman
There were no overdubs on Crazy Mama. Mick plays the the third, open G-guitar, like on the album.

I agree about the overdub on WLB, though. It doesn't sound necessary.

The first bit of Ronnie's runs - a real fuzzy and bad one - is Ollie? It sounds horrendous!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-16 18:37 by GasLightStreet.

Date: May 16, 2022 18:45

DeeGee
Its fantastic to hear that Preston played a wahwah Clavinett on Mannish Boy -
was completely unhearable on LYL.

Just listened to the SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES edit and I can hear the clavinett in that mix. It's not as prominent but it's there. Mick's overdubbed screams are mixed out in MOCAMBO.

Date: May 16, 2022 19:27

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
There were no overdubs on Crazy Mama. Mick plays the the third, open G-guitar, like on the album.

The first bit of Ronnie's runs - a real fuzzy and bad one - is Ollie? It sounds horrendous!

Second bit of Ronnie’s first lick is Billy. He gets lost, too. It's only rock'n'roll smiling smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 16, 2022 19:50

Bill Wyman is a beast on El Mocambo

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 16, 2022 20:35

bam
"I love Hand of fate - a treat."

Agreed. This version takes HOF from a decent song to something special.

"Decent song"? It is one of their best IMHO, sounded great in '76 as well as in 2002-03. The Cirkus Stockholm version is a killer, so is Paris 6th of june 76.

Beats most other Stones tunes, the lyrics are almost Dylan-esque and the riff is one of their finest with the bridge and that funky Middle 8 as the icing on the cake smileys with beer

Posted by: andreas ()
Date: May 16, 2022 20:44

Fantastic guitar sound on this release as well !
This must be the very first gig they used the awesome Boogie amps ( alone or preamp/pwr with ampegs) .. an early version of the hybrid amp set up that sounded awesome on the 78 tour.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: May 16, 2022 20:55

There aren't many times in your life when something you always dreamed of turns out to be even better than you hoped. El Mocambo is certainly one of them. Im sitting here listening with a great big stoopid smile on my face smiling smiley))

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: May 16, 2022 21:11

MonkeyMan2000
DandelionPowderman

That guitar line that's so loud and which is also on the studio version is overdubbed for sure. You can still hear Ronnie's lead underneath at 2:11 on the left side. It's not Keith playing lead and Mick sticks to rhythm the whole song.

But as I said: I still love the release and it doesn't keep me from listening to it over and over again!

The loud lead guitar is Keith...Ronnie, strangely, doesn't make an appearance before 2:11, with his signature lick. What is he playing the rest of the time...can just make him out at the start and then he's buried in the mix with Mick's guitar D riffing. Keith's lead, might sound like an overdub, because it stands out so clearly, but it is the same lead that was originally played on the Mocambo acetate decades ago (that one that cuts after the first verse). Maybe some auto-tune added? Love the mix on most of the Mocambo tracks, but this one has me a bit baffled.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: May 16, 2022 21:23

MadMax
bam

"Decent song"? It is one of their best IMHO, sounded great in '76 as well as in 2002-03. The Cirkus Stockholm version is a killer, so is Paris 6th of june 76.

Hand Of Fate from Cirkus 2003 is great, just a shame Keith forgets the Middle 8 like in most Licks versions. But it's much better than the Olympia 2003 shambolic mess: [www.youtube.com].

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 16, 2022 22:10

yeababyyea
MadMax
bam

Hand Of Fate from Cirkus 2003 is great, just a shame Keith forgets the Middle 8 like in most Licks versions. But it's much better than the Olympia 2003 shambolic mess: [www.youtube.com].
This Olympia version is actually my favorite version. Yeah it's a bit rough, Mick messes up the lyrics and the cues are not on point but I think it has a really nice groove and they are not rushing through it like on many versions.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: May 16, 2022 23:05

StonedRambler
yeababyyea
MadMax
bam

This Olympia version is actually my favorite version. Yeah it's a bit rough, Mick messes up the lyrics and the cues are not on point but I think it has a really nice groove and they are not rushing through it like on many versions.

Yea the slower tempo gives it a nice groove. But the way Keith messes up Ronnie's solo by playing the wrong chords and the missed cues makes it sound like the whole band is fumbling in the dark wondering what to play next. The heavily edited version on Four Flicks is pretty good though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-16 23:09 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 16, 2022 23:11

The Rolling Stones' 'Live at the El Mocambo' Is Essential Rock History for Toronto and Beyond

[exclaim.ca]

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: May 16, 2022 23:32

Taylor1
Bill Wyman is a beast on El Mocambo
Yes! He sounds so fantastic!

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: May 16, 2022 23:36

bakersfield
There aren't many times in your life when something you always dreamed of turns out to be even better than you hoped. El Mocambo is certainly one of them. Im sitting here listening with a great big stoopid smile on my face smiling smiley))
Yes! I was 14 when LYL was released and I loved it. The El Mocambo side was my favorite part of it. And now I'm 59 and smiling.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 17, 2022 02:32

bitusa2012
I simply don’t hear this as anything BUT a club show. As someone who attended the Enmore Theatre Licks show in Sydney in 2003, THIS IS what it sounded like. Loud, shambolic (in a GREAT STONES WAY), RAW and “heavy” WITH a slight reverb in Micks vocal. Side 3 on LYL, which I love, sounds a bit thin compared to what the Enmore sounded like.

So to me, THIS is truly representative. A FANTASTIC, great, and so bloody overdue, release.

Honestly, no pleasing some people.

This is no doubt a great release on almost every level.

You say this sounds just like the show you attended in 2003, but the Enmore Theater is much larger and has a capacity of apprx. 2,000 vs. the tiny El Mocambo with only apprx. 300 in attendance.
I also attended some small theater/club shows during Licks w/the Astoria having the smallest capacity at apprx. 1600 which is WAY more than just the 300 at El Mocambo, and the differencess can be heard on boots.
The atmosphere and vibe as heard on side 3 of LYL sounds more representative of a tiny club show w/ only 300 in attendance more than a theater show of apprx. 1500-2000 possibly could - for me it does anyways.
While this new release might not bellow and echo like a giant 10,000 seat indoor arena, it definitely sounds like a much bigger venue than it was in reality with side 3 of LYL being a more accurate representation imo.
Anyhow, just nitpicking a bit comparing venue sizes and capacity, and it doesn't take away from the all around great performances - happy to have this in my collection, and wish I could have been there.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 17, 2022 02:41

Nitpicking is the operative word here.

Date: May 17, 2022 06:41

I hear the performance.

That's way more than enough.

And it's BRILLIANT.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: May 17, 2022 11:26

I read some posts here, and on the Steve Hoffman forum about the 'arena' sound on the recordings. People mention the big echo on it opposed to the 'clubby' experience it should have. I don't understand and hear this at all. On my equipment (which is probably a bit above average quality) it just sounds as a club recording, the way it supposed to. So where does this come from. Is it the difference between cd / vinyl (I have the coloured vinyl), is it the equipment people are using? It does not make sense in my opinion.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 17, 2022 11:45

And now listen to LSTNT from VGP bootleg from 2003 and new version. Especially the 1st verse winking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 17, 2022 12:02

MKjan
Nitpicking is the operative word here.

Yeah that's how we - the IORR crowd - think we're above the average fan... grinning smiley

Posted by: Matt1984 ()
Date: May 17, 2022 12:36

To my ears, this sounds very much like a club recording. Don’t get an arena or stadium sound at all.

Posted by: DeeGee ()
Date: May 17, 2022 13:06

Matt1984
To my ears, this sounds very much like a club recording. Don’t get an arena or stadium sound at all.

We are turning in circles here, aren't we?

winking smiley

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: May 17, 2022 13:32

ironbelly
And now listen to LSTNT from VGP bootleg from 2003 and new version. Especially the 1st verse winking smiley

LSTNT from VGP is from March, 4th and played differently, compared to this release from the following day. The first complete LSTNT of this boot version also came as a very bad sounding copy. Imo, the oldest version, that only circulated as a cut in the 80ies, was sounding great. But thanks God, we all have different tastes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-17 13:33 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 17, 2022 13:49

That take of Fool to Cry is excellent. Billy Preston had a great influence on Mick and the Stones' music for a while. Beside the keyboards, Preston used his voice pretty efficiently, falsetto, high pitched harmonies, responses to Mick ad libs and funny vocal tricks. Those two were doing vocal weaving while Keithandronnie used their guitars to rock-crochet a l'ancienne!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 17, 2022 14:42

Cracking up: I guess to hear a third guitar (keith comes later), mainly in the begining. Played by Jagger or is it an overdub?

Date: May 17, 2022 15:51

deardoctor
Cracking up: I guess to hear a third guitar (keith comes later), mainly in the begining. Played by Jagger or is it an overdub?

Same Ronnie overdub as on LYL.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 17, 2022 16:13

DandelionPowderman
deardoctor

Thank you.
Interesting: different mix and edits but same overdubs...

Date: May 17, 2022 16:18

deardoctor
DandelionPowderman
deardoctor

Thank you.

Mannish Boy is a different edit, though. At least there is no harp while Mick is singing here smiling smiley

Posted by: z ()
Date: May 17, 2022 16:37

DandelionPowderman
deardoctor
DandelionPowderman
deardoctor

Thank you.

Mannish Boy is a different edit, though. At least there is no harp while Mick is singing here smiling smiley

Of course there is. smiling smiley

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 17, 2022 16:45

Does the vinyl sound any drier?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465...LastNext
Current Page: 60 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1016
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home