Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5455565758596061626364...LastNext
Current Page: 59 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 16, 2022 00:26

retired_dog
EddieByword
retired_dog

However, it must be said that Europe 1976 in particular was not exactly praised by critics and many fans and regarded as a low point in their live career so far.

I know the critics were already down on the stones in '76 but fans?....Who says these things? Earl's court was sold out for 6 nights (it was about the same size as MSG) and apparently, according to the press, there were over a million ticket applications and................2 months after this "low point" 250,000 turned up at Knebworth to see and hear it all again..........

I really enjoyed Earl's court and Knebworth as did everyone else I know who went ........... confused smiley

Sold tickets and actual reaction afterwards are two different things. I know I felt it was a step down after experiencing shows in 1969 (ok, Hyde Park was a bit shaky, but there was a reason for that), 1970, 1971 and 1973 and general talk amongst fans back then was the same, possibly due to Mick Taylor's absence. Whatever - the shows I went to in 1976 had very little in common with the energy and vigour of El Mocambo.

I guess personal perception/experience is all a big factor but as I say, the band toured Europe and 2 months after that they put on Knebworth and a further 1/4 million showed up - I guess they did something right for all those who attended the tour shows?

Personally I had wild time at the first Earl's court show as did my friends and especially this old guy (about 70) dancing in the aisle with his daughter all through.......(And then, I dreamt the whole show again in technicolour .............brilliant...

'73 was hell of a tour follow and I guess it was a bit of a different feel with the funk of Black and blue.......but I loved it and it kept me coming back for 46 years

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-16 00:27 by EddieByword.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 16, 2022 00:30

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 16, 2022 00:36

reiziger99
They play Let’s Spend The Night in E here, whereas it is normally in D. Got the feeling Mick is finding it difficult to sing, specially in the beginning of the song.
But surely E was what they meant to start in E; nobody else seems confused.

What a great release. Great to hear those B&B and IORR songs live. Plenty of warhorses on other releases. This is a bonus!!

Edit: tired. Misread it. Haven't played guitar along with anything to really notice any changes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-16 00:38 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: May 16, 2022 00:41

Good lord, all of the reverb talk.

This thing sounds awesome and is awesome.

Truly a great release, and possibly now my favorite Wood era live album.

Yeah, 'Love You Live' Side 3 sounds more clubby......whatever, this sounds amazing.

I am really enjoying it and I'm beyond happy that it's finally out.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 16, 2022 00:47

albop
donvis
Love the performance. But why oh why the horrible echo/ reverb? There was absolutely nothing wrong with the sound of Side 3 of Love You Live. The uniqueness of the whole thing was a club setting. Now it just sounds like another arena show. The Elvis FTD label is run by former fans. That is what these vault releases need. A fan/collector/expert tempering Mick’s instincts. As much as you all love it how much better would it sound if it sounded like Side three of love you live????

I agree.

Yes, very odd they would choose to give it a cavernous arena atmosphere vs. the actual intimacy and vibe of a small club.
It doesn't take away from the sizzling performances themselves, but it does give it an all around artificial sensation.

Date: May 16, 2022 08:07

Sounds l8ke a fantastic club show to me. Not even once did I get the 'arena feeling'.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 16, 2022 09:01

DandelionPowderman
Sounds l8ke a fantastic club show to me. Not even once did I get the 'arena feeling'.

It's all about peoples' mindsets. If they want to find a stone in the shoe, they'll always find one.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 16, 2022 09:06

The four choices on LYL release were smart selections. They still stand out(understand that rooster is from the other night)

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 16, 2022 09:19

I simply don’t hear this as anything BUT a club show. As someone who attended the Enmore Theatre Licks show in Sydney in 2003, THIS IS what it sounded like. Loud, shambolic (in a GREAT STONES WAY), RAW and “heavy” WITH a slight reverb in Micks vocal. Side 3 on LYL, which I love, sounds a bit thin compared to what the Enmore sounded like.

So to me, THIS is truly representative. A FANTASTIC, great, and so bloody overdue, release.

Honestly, no pleasing some people.

Rod

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: May 16, 2022 09:40

I think it's truly a fantastic release! Moved me to tears the first time I've listened to it. The playing, the energy, the banter, Mick's humor...I really love the late 70's early 80's Stones because at that point they had sort of given up embodying a dangerous Rock'n'Roll-band (as if anything like that ever existed) and didn't take themselves too seriously anymore. And I think you hear that in the playing and in the music they made in this period.
Also what I like about the feel of this show is that it seems to me more like a studio session than a concert...can't tell you why but I love it! Maybe because the interplaying of the core band is what you hear on so many demos from that time.

But there's one thing that bothers me a bit: The overdubs weren't dealt with with care. The guitar playing during the show is actually very focused but when the overdubs come in it becomes messy. They are either too loud like on Crazy Mama or they just don't blend in very well like in Worried Life Blues. It seems like Bob didn't mute the original tracks by Ronnie - maybe because there was too much bleed in the other microphones...I'd probably have muted the overdubs altogether because what they played at the show is already killer.

Date: May 16, 2022 10:01

There were no overdubs on Crazy Mama. Mick plays the the third, open G-guitar, like on the album.

I agree about the overdub on WLB, though. It doesn't sound necessary.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 16, 2022 10:13

reiziger99
They play Let’s Spend The Night in E here, whereas it is normally in D. Got the feeling Mick is finding it difficult to sing, specially in the beginning of the song.
But surely E was what they meant to start in E; nobody else seems confused.

What a great release. Great to hear those B&B and IORR songs live. Plenty of warhorses on other releases. This is a bonus!!
Totally agree. Said that too already some pages ago. Therefore this version of LSTNT is one of the weakest if not the weakest song on this release IMHO. They didn't learn to play it probably live until the 1981 versions.

Date: May 16, 2022 10:16

I was busy for the most part yesterday. When did the mood change from everybody saying it sounds awesome to "too much reverb" and "the overdubs are bothering me"?

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: May 16, 2022 11:14

Reverb people - if you listen to it on Apple using Dolby Atmos, most of the reverb is gone. Of course you will need stereo equipment eg. headphones.

Date: May 16, 2022 11:33

DandelionPowderman
There were no overdubs on Crazy Mama. Mick plays the the third, open G-guitar, like on the album.

That guitar line that's so loud and which is also on the studio version is overdubbed for sure. You can still hear Ronnie's lead underneath at 2:11 on the left side. It's not Keith playing lead and Mick sticks to rhythm the whole song.

But as I said: I still love the release and it doesn't keep me from listening to it over and over again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-16 11:33 by MonkeyMan2000.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: May 16, 2022 11:36

MonkeyMan2000
DandelionPowderman

That guitar line that's so loud and which is also on the studio version is overdubbed for sure. You can still hear Ronnie's lead underneath at 2:11 on the left side. It's not Keith playing lead and Mick sticks to rhythm the whole song.

The question is are any overdubs new or were they worked on for LYL ?

sc uk

Posted by: z ()
Date: May 16, 2022 12:33

straycatuk
MonkeyMan2000
DandelionPowderman

sc uk

Isn't it Billy Preston playing the line in the middle?

Date: May 16, 2022 12:50

MonkeyMan2000
DandelionPowderman

But as I said: I still love the release and it doesn't keep me from listening to it over and over again!

Keith plays lead/licks during most of the song, just like he did on the album. Right channel. Mick is center and is lower in the mix. Ronnie is left.

Date: May 16, 2022 12:51

z
straycatuk
MonkeyMan2000
DandelionPowderman

sc uk

Center left, trying to double with Ronnie (with hilarious results smiling smiley )

Posted by: z ()
Date: May 16, 2022 12:59

DandelionPowderman
z
straycatuk
MonkeyMan2000
DandelionPowderman

sc uk

Center left, trying to double with Ronnie (with hilarious results smiling smiley )

I think MM2000 is mistaking Preston for an OD guitar...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-16 13:02 by z.

Date: May 16, 2022 14:17

z
DandelionPowderman
z
straycatuk
MonkeyMan2000
DandelionPowderman

sc uk

I think MM2000 is mistaking Preston for an OD guitar...

To me it sounds like he's talking about Keith's guitar. But you're right, it could be either one.

Date: May 16, 2022 14:18

DandelionPowderman
MonkeyMan2000
DandelionPowderman

Keith plays lead/licks during most of the song, just like he did on the album. Right channel. Mick is center and is lower in the mix. Ronnie is left.

Yeah I chose the wrong words: I know Keith plays lead but he doesn‘t play the lead line I seem to hear under Ronnie‘s lead riff. I‘ll listen to it again, maybe I really mistake Billy‘s part for Ronnie. But I think I heard Keith (rhythm and his lead riff, you couldn’t mistake him for any other guitarist) and Mick (rhythm) do their thing, Billy do whatever that was :-) and a louder and quieter Ronnie on top of one another…but I‘ll check it out again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-16 14:21 by MonkeyMan2000.

Date: May 16, 2022 14:28

Ah, I understand!

Ronnie is @#$%& up his lead line, and the same happens to Billy when he tries to double it. It is a single keyboard line smiling smiley

Z was right here (as usual), hehe.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 16, 2022 16:24

Hand of Fate and Luxury are absolutely fabulously performed at this show thumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 16, 2022 17:33

Interesting Cherry O didn't make the setlist.......oh well can't have it all. Think of all the songs they could have played on those two nights, ridiculous amounts

Posted by: DeeGee ()
Date: May 16, 2022 17:34

DandelionPowderman
Ah, I understand!

Ronnie is @#$%& up his lead line, and the same happens to Billy when he tries to double it. It is a single keyboard line smiling smiley

Billy and Ronnie both seemed to have difficulties
with Harvey Mandel's Lick winking smiley

Though Ronnie managed to play it right in 97 (Double Door)

Posted by: DeeGee ()
Date: May 16, 2022 17:44

My thoughts on El Mo'77

Yes - it's the holy grail - a promise keeped.
LYL could or should have been the Elmo show + a few addons.

All down the line is great

Its fantastic to hear that Preston played a wahwah Clavinett on Mannish Boy -
was completely unhearable on LYL.
The Rooster version from March 5th is imo way cooler.

I love Hand of fate - a treat (stop throwing your dirty old drumsticks at me, Charlie)

Fool to cry - love it - wonder what made Jagger laugh in the falsetto break

Hot Stuff is a killer - made me dance (not in public)
(Ronnies inviting you all to his room - bring your own beer)

Tumbling Dice - love it, though Keef is out of tune.

Crazy Mama: i was looking forward to it - doesn't move me too much but anyway...
(the bootleg version is different - must be 4th then)

Dance Little Sister - super cool- Keef's Guitar - tears in my eyes

Let's Spend The Night: Doesnt work in "E". sounds too deep - dislike it

Starf***** & Worried Life Blues - not my cup of tea to be blunt.

Brown sugar: great

JJF: Huge at the end.

Melody & Luxury - wonderful - love the synth melody mess in the beginning winking smiley

Worried bout you - loved the bootleg version - love this one winking smiley

Since a long time a release I enjoy listing to in one piece.

Have a nice day
DeeGee (Flo)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-16 18:37 by DeeGee.

Date: May 16, 2022 18:11

DeeGee
DandelionPowderman
Ah, I understand!

Billy and Ronnie both seemed to have difficulties
with Harvey Mandel's Lick winking smiley

Though Ronnie managed to play it right in 97 (Double Door)

It is Ronnie’s lick on BAB.

Date: May 16, 2022 18:16

DeeGee
Let's Spend The Night: Doesnt work in "E". sounds too deep - dislike it
Normally it's in G, here it's in A. So one whole step higher, now lower.
(Or if you take the chorus chord as the root then it's normally in D and here in E, as you said. Still higher though.).

I also think it doesn't work at all in that pitch.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 16, 2022 18:29

"I love Hand of fate - a treat."

Agreed. This version takes HOF from a decent song to something special.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5455565758596061626364...LastNext
Current Page: 59 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2071
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home