Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 15, 2022 17:28

I'm a happy man!

Happy Boy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-15 17:29 by LeonidP.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 15, 2022 17:35

Taylor1
crholmstrom
Hairball
keefgotsoul
[vocal.media]

“The new live release captures the last time the Stones were truly dangerous.

By 1977, the Rolling Stones were in trouble. Their previous albums, It’s Only Rock’n Roll and Black and Blue, did not match the heights of their halcyon run of legendary albums from 1968 to 1973. The loss of Mick Taylor was a tremendous blow to them artistically, and Keith Richards’ drug habit was spiraling out of control and affecting his musical ability. Despite bringing in former Faces guitarist Ron Wood to the fold, the band struggled to match the fireworks of their peak years, and their live shows had become sloppy and lethargic, lacking in the vigor and danger that made their 1971-73 treks among rock’s most celebrated live experiences.
After their widely criticized 1976 tour of Europe, the band themselves realized what everyone had known for some time: the Stones needed an injection. Not the kind that was slowly killing Keith, but a fresh, energetic platform to reestablish themselves as rock’s most exciting band and a true force to be reckoned with.
On March 4th and 5th, 1977, the band booked two gigs at Toronto’s legendary El Mocambo club, a 500 seat venue where local bands made their bones, as opposed to the 20,000 seat arenas the World’s Greatest Rock and Roll Band had grown accustomed to since their 1960s’ heyday. Keith had just been busted in Toronto on a heroine charge, so the performance was a sort of goodwill gesture in that regard. The band hadn’t played in a venue of this size since they were starting out.
Bootlegs of this show have circulated in fragmented form since shortly after the show was performed, but in 2022, in preparation for the band’s 60th anniversary, the Stones have finally released tracks from both shows in their entirety. The release, simply titled El Mocambo ’77, confirms what was thought of all this years: the El Mocambo shows are among the greatest and most important Rolling Stones shows of all time.
From end to end, this is the Stones at their best: raw, loud, gritty, snarling, dangerous, teetering on the edge of chaos. Sloppy, but ‘good sloppy’: the entire band is in a groove and playing for their lives, especially Keith who got his shit together for these shows and gave some of the most searing guitar work of his entire career. He owns this entire show and crushes every dirty lick, riff and rhythm that comes his way. Mick is at his lascivious best, Wyman and Watts hold down the fort as forcefully as they always have, and Wood fully comes into his own, perfecting his signature ‘weaving’ with Keith and laying down some smoking hot axe work of his own on tracks like “Crackin’ Up” and “Worried About You.”
There isn’t a weak performance of any of the 23 songs, but some of the highlights include arresting renditions of Stones classics “Honky Tonk Women” and “Jumping Jack Flash,” a pulsating “Hot Stuff,” and the forgotten gem “Dance Little Sister” that barely stays on track but manages to be one of the most exciting Stones live cuts of all time. The blues cuts, particularly “Worried Life Blues” and “Mannish Boy,” show why the Stones are the only white boys who can do black blues music justice, injecting their own personalities into music while maintaining reverence for their progenitors.
The sound quality brings out the revelatory quality of the full performances out further, not losing any nuances or making the music sound too clean for its own good. Everything you’re meant to hear jumps right out of the speakers.
Coupled with beautiful packaging that delves deep into the shows’ legacy, El Mocambo ’77 sits comfortably up there with Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out and Brussels Affair ’73 as one of their best live releases, a forceful reminder of when they were far more than rock’s most entertaining nostalgia act and truly the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World.”

"The new live release captures the last time the Stones were truly dangerous..."

And from there, they slowly but surely turned in to a Disneyland meets Vegas type of act - caricatures of their former selves.
Still fun to see them live even to this day for the nostalgia and entertainment, but a far cry from when they truly mattered as a "dangerous" rock and roll band.

1978 was still pretty stripped down. Even the stadium shows were pretty raw. Just the band + Ian Mclagan & Stu. No sax player even. 1981 (sponsored by Jovan) things got a little more showbiz with the cherry picker & such. The music was still pretty basic although they did add Ernie Watts on sax. I was lucky I got to see 1 show in 78 & 2 in 81.
How was 1975-1976 bloated as opposed to El Mocambo? Exact same musicians , the Stonesus Brown Preston and Stewart. So this is bloated? video: [youtu.be]If You Can’t Rock Me /Get Off My Cloud , LA1975,is great rock , as great as anything on El Mocambo

However, it must be said that Europe 1976 in particular was not exactly praised by critics and many fans and regarded as a low point in their live career so far.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 15, 2022 17:36

TravelinMan
schillid
GUITARISTS sound focused.
Unusually FOCUSED

Suspiciously focused.

El Studio was involved! smoking smiley
Did Clearmountain use some kind of note or pitch control.Wish he’d do that on a1972 or Pacific Tour 1973 show if he did

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 15, 2022 18:12

crholmstrom
Hairball
keefgotsoul
[vocal.media]

“The new live release captures the last time the Stones were truly dangerous.

By 1977, the Rolling Stones were in trouble. Their previous albums, It’s Only Rock’n Roll and Black and Blue, did not match the heights of their halcyon run of legendary albums from 1968 to 1973. The loss of Mick Taylor was a tremendous blow to them artistically, and Keith Richards’ drug habit was spiraling out of control and affecting his musical ability. Despite bringing in former Faces guitarist Ron Wood to the fold, the band struggled to match the fireworks of their peak years, and their live shows had become sloppy and lethargic, lacking in the vigor and danger that made their 1971-73 treks among rock’s most celebrated live experiences.
After their widely criticized 1976 tour of Europe, the band themselves realized what everyone had known for some time: the Stones needed an injection. Not the kind that was slowly killing Keith, but a fresh, energetic platform to reestablish themselves as rock’s most exciting band and a true force to be reckoned with.
On March 4th and 5th, 1977, the band booked two gigs at Toronto’s legendary El Mocambo club, a 500 seat venue where local bands made their bones, as opposed to the 20,000 seat arenas the World’s Greatest Rock and Roll Band had grown accustomed to since their 1960s’ heyday. Keith had just been busted in Toronto on a heroine charge, so the performance was a sort of goodwill gesture in that regard. The band hadn’t played in a venue of this size since they were starting out.
Bootlegs of this show have circulated in fragmented form since shortly after the show was performed, but in 2022, in preparation for the band’s 60th anniversary, the Stones have finally released tracks from both shows in their entirety. The release, simply titled El Mocambo ’77, confirms what was thought of all this years: the El Mocambo shows are among the greatest and most important Rolling Stones shows of all time.
From end to end, this is the Stones at their best: raw, loud, gritty, snarling, dangerous, teetering on the edge of chaos. Sloppy, but ‘good sloppy’: the entire band is in a groove and playing for their lives, especially Keith who got his shit together for these shows and gave some of the most searing guitar work of his entire career. He owns this entire show and crushes every dirty lick, riff and rhythm that comes his way. Mick is at his lascivious best, Wyman and Watts hold down the fort as forcefully as they always have, and Wood fully comes into his own, perfecting his signature ‘weaving’ with Keith and laying down some smoking hot axe work of his own on tracks like “Crackin’ Up” and “Worried About You.”
There isn’t a weak performance of any of the 23 songs, but some of the highlights include arresting renditions of Stones classics “Honky Tonk Women” and “Jumping Jack Flash,” a pulsating “Hot Stuff,” and the forgotten gem “Dance Little Sister” that barely stays on track but manages to be one of the most exciting Stones live cuts of all time. The blues cuts, particularly “Worried Life Blues” and “Mannish Boy,” show why the Stones are the only white boys who can do black blues music justice, injecting their own personalities into music while maintaining reverence for their progenitors.
The sound quality brings out the revelatory quality of the full performances out further, not losing any nuances or making the music sound too clean for its own good. Everything you’re meant to hear jumps right out of the speakers.
Coupled with beautiful packaging that delves deep into the shows’ legacy, El Mocambo ’77 sits comfortably up there with Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out and Brussels Affair ’73 as one of their best live releases, a forceful reminder of when they were far more than rock’s most entertaining nostalgia act and truly the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World.”

"The new live release captures the last time the Stones were truly dangerous..."

And from there, they slowly but surely turned in to a Disneyland meets Vegas type of act - caricatures of their former selves.
Still fun to see them live even to this day for the nostalgia and entertainment, but a far cry from when they truly mattered as a "dangerous" rock and roll band.

1978 was still pretty stripped down. Even the stadium shows were pretty raw. Just the band + Ian Mclagan & Stu. No sax player even. 1981 (sponsored by Jovan) things got a little more showbiz with the cherry picker & such. The music was still pretty basic although they did add Ernie Watts on sax. I was lucky I got to see 1 show in 78 & 2 in 81.

Yes, I did say "slowly but surely" and '78 and '81/'82 were still raw and stripped down compared to what they would eventually become with the Disneyland meets Vegas type act.
1989 onwards with Steel Wheels, Voodoo, and Bridges...massive stadiums with massive stages...with all the bells and whistles...fireworks, and all the distractions... interesting and memorable from a special effects, props, and sensory overload perspective, but the music itself almost became secondary....it was sterilized and calculated. It wasn't until No Security, and then Licks they must have realized that type of bloated atmosphere was more show than substance. The concept for Licks was stadiums, arenas, and small theaters and clubs, and a great concept it was, but unfortunately by then their actual performances were faltering more so than ever. So back to the massively bloated stages with ABB (a monstrosity with the fans on stage) to promote a mediocre album with performances that overall might be the worst of their entire career. I first saw them in '81 and thankfully so - when it was still real and raw for the most part, and since then I've seen the evolution and detours that lead us to where we are today. 60th anniversary. Oldies but goodies, Warhorses. Nostalgia. And still NO NEW ALBUM of original material in almost 17 years. Disneyland meets Vegas.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-15 18:23 by Hairball.

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: May 15, 2022 18:50

Every listen I find more guitar work that amazes me and some kick ass drums.

Rocks Off has some absolutely fantastic guitar work in last two minutes. Just blazing as Ronnie and Keith trade licks. Listening with my AirPods at beach right now and production has brought out some great guitar work between the two.

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: May 15, 2022 19:08

He worked magic (Though he obviously had something good to start with) with what was laid down and damn it sounds great. Having been at75 and 78 both Florida shows this was great sound in comparison to either. Of course one can only go by memory’s which fade.

Date: May 15, 2022 19:14

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
If there isn't weaving on the songs in standard tuning, there never was any smiling smiley
Where is the weaving on Hand of Fate,Hot Stuff, Brown Sugaror Rip This Joint? It sounds just like Taylor Richards circa 1973. Wood is clearly soloing over Keith’s guitar.By your definition of weaving Taylor and Richards also were weaving.Taylor was weaving a second guitar when he wasn’t soloing.He wasn’t off stage taking a bathroom break.The El Mocambo Rip this Joint guitars arrangement sound just like the Brussels except Wood takes the Trevor Lawrence solo as well.

I said standard tuning. Hot Stuff needs a steady rhythm.

However, there is weaving on HTW, DLS and some other open G-tunes as well. It sounds looser than 1973.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 15, 2022 19:16

Re-listening to the El Mocambo acetate, it sounds like all the tracks there are from the March 5 show and not the March 4 show as many previously believed. Am I mistaken?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 15, 2022 19:45

My only knock is Ollie is too damn busy on Hot Stuff.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 15, 2022 19:48

LeonidP
I'm a happy man!

Happy Boy!

RIP Country Dick Montana. I knew him & he was an awesome guy. Wild man for sure but there was another side of him. I got to hang out with him until dawn after his final New Year's Eve show. Good times. Gone far too young.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 15, 2022 20:16

retired_dog

However, it must be said that Europe 1976 in particular was not exactly praised by critics and many fans and regarded as a low point in their live career so far.

I know the critics were already down on the stones in '76 but fans?....Who says these things? Earl's court was sold out for 6 nights (it was about the same size as MSG) and apparently, according to the press, there were over a million ticket applications and................2 months after this "low point" 250,000 turned up at Knebworth to see and hear it all again..........

I really enjoyed Earl's court and Knebworth as did everyone else I know who went ........... confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-15 20:17 by EddieByword.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 15, 2022 20:36

crholmstrom
LeonidP
I'm a happy man!

Happy Boy!

RIP Country Dick Montana. I knew him & he was an awesome guy. Wild man for sure but there was another side of him. I got to hang out with him until dawn after his final New Year's Eve show. Good times. Gone far too young.

Didn't know of him, nor much of the band really. Our local radio station used to play this song back in the day, endlessly it seems, it just came to mind!

RIP!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 15, 2022 20:43

Elmo Lewis
My only knock is Ollie is too damn busy on Hot Stuff.

I think it's what gives this version that extra umph.

Charlie Watts - Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: witterings ()
Date: May 13, 2022 18:08

Today I've bought and downloaded the Live at the El Mocambo as hi-res audio 24bit - 96 kHz, as official download from qobuz. After unzipping the files, I've got these Files in my directory:

01-01-Charlie_Watts-Honky_Tonk_Women-SMR.flac
01-02-Charlie_Watts-All_Down_The_Line-SMR.flac
01-03-Charlie_Watts-Hand_Of_Fate-SMR.flac
01-04-Charlie_Watts-Route_66-SMR.flac
01-05-Charlie_Watts-Fool_To_Cry-SMR.flac
01-06-Charlie_Watts-Crazy_Mama-SMR.flac
01-07-Muddy_Waters-Mannish_Boy-SMR.flac
01-08-Charlie_Watts-Crackin_Up-SMR.flac
01-09-Charlie_Watts-Dance_Little_Sister-SMR.flac
01-10-Charlie_Watts-Around_And_Around-SMR.flac
01-11-Charlie_Watts-Tumbling_Dice-SMR.flac
01-12-Charlie_Watts-Hot_Stuff-SMR.flac
01-13-Charlie_Watts-Star_Star-SMR.flac
01-14-Charlie_Watts-Let_s_Spend_The_Night_Together-SMR.flac
01-15-Charlie_Watts-Worried_Life_Blues-SMR.flac
01-16-Willie_Dixon-Little_Red_Rooster-SMR.flac
01-17-Charlie_Watts-It_s_Only_Rock_N_Roll_But_I_Like_It-SMR.flac
01-18-Charlie_Watts-Rip_This_Joint-SMR.flac
01-19-Charlie_Watts-Brown_Sugar-SMR.flac
01-20-Charlie_Watts-Jumpin_Jack_Flash-SMR.flac
01-21-Charlie_Watts-Melody-SMR.flac
01-22-Charlie_Watts-Luxury-SMR.flac
01-23-Charlie_Watts-Worried_About_You-SMR.flac

I think it's a very nice gesture, whoever it comes from!
Long live The Rolling Stones!

It`s nice to be here, .....

Re: Charlie Watts - Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 13, 2022 18:30

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: May 13, 2022 19:59

Well that just makes me happy to see that! Thank you!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 13, 2022 20:26

Why not also tour as The Charlie Watts

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: May 13, 2022 21:21

Charlie is absolutely sublime on this release. Well, they all are but it's so nice to hear him again.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 13, 2022 21:25

rebelrebel
Charlie is absolutely sublime on this release. Well, they all are but it's so nice to hear him again.
Bill is quite good on this, too. He & Charlie whip the rest of the band into shape!

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 14, 2022 00:49

witterings
Today I've bought and downloaded the Live at the El Mocambo as hi-res audio 24bit - 96 kHz, as official download from qobuz. After unzipping the files, I've got these Files in my directory:

01-01-Charlie_Watts-Honky_Tonk_Women-SMR.flac

I think it's a very nice gesture, whoever it comes from!
Long live The Rolling Stones!

Qobuz has been putting someone's name on the DLs for a while. It's nice to see Charlie in the song titles.

I find Qobuz is the highest quality, higher then the HD DLs. A really cool aspect of Qobuz is that you can buy songs without buy the entire album.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 15, 2022 21:34

chevysales

Rocks Off has some absolutely fantastic guitar work in last two minutes.

???
I don't think Rocks Off is on this

Posted by: reiziger99 ()
Date: May 15, 2022 22:07

They play Let’s Spend The Night in E here, whereas it is normally in D. Got the feeling Mick is finding it difficult to sing, specially in the beginning of the song.
But surely E was what they meant to start in E; nobody else seems confused.

What a great release. Great to hear those B&B and IORR songs live. Plenty of warhorses on other releases. This is a bonus!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-16 00:33 by reiziger99.

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: May 15, 2022 22:36

Man they could have included Little Red Rooster from the 4th as bonus.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 15, 2022 22:57

Wood played great 1975-1978.I think that was his best live playing with the band.He was good again in 1989-1995. But this century I don’t think his playing is at that level

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: May 15, 2022 23:10

schillid
chevysales

Rocks Off has some absolutely fantastic guitar work in last two minutes.

???
I don't think Rocks Off is on this

Must be a non Stones fan

Date: May 15, 2022 23:10

EddieByword
retired_dog

I know the critics were already down on the stones in '76 but fans?....Who says these things? Earl's court was sold out for 6 nights (it was about the same size as MSG) and apparently, according to the press, there were over a million ticket applications and................2 months after this "low point" 250,000 turned up at Knebworth to see and hear it all again..........

I really enjoyed Earl's court and Knebworth as did everyone else I know who went ........... confused smiley

Sold tickets and actual reaction afterwards are two different things. I know I felt it was a step down after experiencing shows in 1969 (ok, Hyde Park was a bit shaky, but there was a reason for that), 1970, 1971 and 1973 and general talk amongst fans back then was the same, possibly due to Mick Taylor's absence. Whatever - the shows I went to in 1976 had very little in common with the energy and vigour of El Mocambo.

Date: May 15, 2022 23:12

Nikkei
Why not also tour as The Charlie Watts

"Charlie Watts' Fabulous Rolling Stones"

Date: May 15, 2022 23:47

Sorry I just saw this. Yes it’s excellent!

Date: May 16, 2022 00:10

Love the performance. But why oh why the horrible echo/ reverb? There was absolutely nothing wrong with the sound of Side 3 of Love You Live. The uniqueness of the whole thing was a club setting. Now it just sounds like another arena show. The Elvis FTD label is run by former fans. That is what these vault releases need. A fan/collector/expert tempering Mick’s instincts. As much as you all love it how much better would it sound if it sounded like Side three of love you live????

Posted by: albop ()
Date: May 16, 2022 00:17

donvis
Love the performance. But why oh why the horrible echo/ reverb? There was absolutely nothing wrong with the sound of Side 3 of Love You Live. The uniqueness of the whole thing was a club setting. Now it just sounds like another arena show. The Elvis FTD label is run by former fans. That is what these vault releases need. A fan/collector/expert tempering Mick’s instincts. As much as you all love it how much better would it sound if it sounded like Side three of love you live????

I agree.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home