Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061...LastNext
Current Page: 56 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: z ()
Date: May 14, 2022 21:44

SomeTorontoGirl
Just happened to wander by the ElMO, there’s Something happening. Live radio stream starting around 2:45, likely on Q107. More later. grinning smiley

[youtu.be]

To celebrate the release of Live At The El Mocambo this week - join a LIVE STREAM of an incredible expert panel - featuring people who were actually at the legendary 1977 shows & those who put it together.
Saturday 14 May at 2:30pm EST (waiting room open from 1pm EST).

[m.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-14 21:51 by z.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 14, 2022 22:00

It gets better too with every listen. I have the cd and think I need to spring for the vinyl now.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 22:09

It is really mind boggling that they have this kind of material sitting in the vault for 40 years. A multitrack recording of rare club shows with very interesting set lists…..and it just collects dust? For a band that’s never been shy about maximizing their earnings you really have to scratch your head. The Grateful Dead has led the pack for decades making live vault material readily available but Springsteen, Pearl Jam, and others have also jumped on this easy money bandwagon. Why the Stones haven’t fully embraced it is truly baffling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-14 23:38 by mnewman505.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 22:09

I am going to wear this CD out!! Need one for the car and one for work too!! Definitely worth the wait!!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 14, 2022 22:20

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's obsessed.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: May 14, 2022 22:23

They should've released this as the new studio album.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: May 14, 2022 22:28

I still have no idea how in 1977 they listen to these tapes and only release 4 songs. This would have been absolutely legendary to release as Love you Live

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 14, 2022 22:52

DrPete
I still have no idea how in 1977 they listen to these tapes and only release 4 songs. This would have been absolutely legendary to release as Love you Live

Yes, it's sad, almost tragic. This as "Love You Live" could have changed their reception in the record-buying public - whereas the "Love You Live" we actually got back then largely confirmed the "boring old farts"-slogan the emerging punk rock scene threw against them.

And their next live album, "Still Life" wasn't all too convincing either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-14 22:54 by retired_dog.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 23:04

I’m glad they included the extended versions of Mannish Boy and Crackin Up, with a slightly different mix, plus an alternate Little Red Rooster from the other night. Worried Life Blues could have made the cut for the 5th track on the El Mocambo side of Love You Live. And we get an alternate Let’s Spend The Night Together that we have heard from the bootleg.
Love this release, I only wish the vocals had less reverb. The 3 bonus tracks could have been inserted in the running order of the show, the quality is still excellent. The original Rooster could have been a bonus.
Some photos show Mick with guitar. I assume Fingerprint File was played but didn’t make the cut.
Anyway, my dream release since 1977 has come true. Unbelievable!

And Bill Wyman is phenomenal on this recording, he’s carrying the band, amazing. His absence now is sad.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-15 00:26 by deardoctortake1.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 23:07

deardoctortake1
I’m glad they included the extended versions of Mannish Boy and Crackin Up, with a slightly different mix, plus an alternate Little Red Rooster from the other night. Worried Life Blues could have made the cut for the 5th track on the El Mocambo side of Love You Live.
Love this release, I only wish the vocals had less reverb. The 3 bonus tracks could have been inserted in the running order of the show, the quality is still excellent. The original Rooster could have been a bonus.
Some photos show Mick with guitar. I assume Fingerprint File was played but didn’t make the cut.
Anyway, my dream release since 1977 has come true. Unbelievable!

Doesn't Mick play guitar on Crazy Mama?

Date: May 14, 2022 23:33

Dear Management,

Double Door 1997.
One CD and one standard def Blu-Ray, two disc set.

Knebworth 1976.
Two CD and one standard def Blu-Ray, three disc set.

Please and thank you.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 23:54

Doesn't Mick play guitar on Crazy Mama?[/quote]

Yes, in 1997, 5 string open G tele

But this looks like a 6 string strat type he used on Fingerprint file in 75-76, I thought the only song he played guitar on live until When The Whip Comes Down in 78

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 15, 2022 00:15

Bill Wyman is sounding especially good on this. A little disappointed there's no "Happy" but Keith obviously had some issues at this time. I really like the early version of "Worried About You". Love that song. They played it at the club show I saw in 2002 & it was 1 of the highlights. "Star Star" is great, too. I know it's politically incorrect but the lyrics are very funny & Mick changed them constantly. + Keith gets to do his Chuck Berry in outer space thing.

Date: May 15, 2022 00:19

deardoctortake1
Doesn't Mick play guitar on Crazy Mama?

Yes, in 1997, 5 string open G tele

But this looks like a 6 string strat type he used on Fingerprint file in 75-76, I thought the only song he played guitar on live until When The Whip Comes Down in 78[/quote]

In 1977 and 1997 smiling smiley

Posted by: dcarey ()
Date: May 15, 2022 00:38

I haven't listened to the El Mocambo release all the way thru yet, but I sure hope the great band introductions including "Bill Wyman just wants to take photographs of girl's legs" hasn't been edited out

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: May 15, 2022 00:39

Of all the retrospective releases since 2009 this is my favorite. Rough and dirty Rock & Roll and blues, great setlist, small band, Ian Stewart still on piano, two great guests (Billy Preston and Ollie Brown). Fantastic.

Bring on Paris 1976.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 15, 2022 00:57

Not fair to compare maybe, but this is clearly light years better than Fonda Theater/Sticky Fingers release from several years ago for a variety of reasons.
On the flipside, it's not quite as ferocious as Brussels, or as groundbreaking as YaYas, or as all around great as some other boots from the prime years.
But it's great for what it is - the Stones in a very small club c'77, and it's one to be grateful for. It's amazing, and a small miracle it's has seen the light of day officially.

As was mentioned previously, they could do like the Grateful Dead and release multiple live shows one after the other - they could probably release one every month for eternity.
Aside from the diehards, not many other will buy El Mocambo, and doubt any other show would ever sell much, but they could be a continuous gift for the lifelong fans.
They could even incorportate them in to their lame new "Rewards" program...buy two, get the third free, and after purchasing 25 of them earn $1 towards a future purchase.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-15 01:00 by Hairball.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 15, 2022 01:03

And now let's talk about overdubs on this one winking smiley

Date: May 15, 2022 01:04

ironbelly

Worried Life Blues smiling smiley

Date: May 15, 2022 01:10

crholmstrom
EddieByword
Amazing............ drinking smiley .........all I'd like now is Knebworth and a complete '76 tour show and I'll be well pleased.

Knebworth wasn't the easiest gig for them as they had to follow a smoking hot Lynyrd Skynyrd. Those boys came to play! Ronnie pushed the guitar players out on the tongue of the stage which they had been forbidden to trod upon. They were all good but the late Steve Gaines in particular was outstanding. So sad. He had just joined the band at that point & he never got to live long in his bright future. I would like to see the Stones set, too. & you know the film exists as the whole Skynyrd set came out on video last year.
No argument — Skynyrd was great that day — truly at the top of their game and the Stones were somewhat sloppier than usual. That being said, I’d love to see this finally get an official release.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 15, 2022 01:50

Hot Stuff so funk it can kill joint pain ....
Worried Life classic and the Jagger power of Mannish...PLAY LOUD

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 15, 2022 01:58

Ordered.

I've been a bit reluctant with some of these live releases. I have HAMPTON, BEUNOS and ATLANTIC CITY.

But MOCAMBO is a must have.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: May 15, 2022 02:05

Rockman

How's that Blue Emu stuff Johnny Bench talks about?

,,,and you won't stink.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 15, 2022 02:12

Putting aside the great playing by the band,did Clearmountain do any pitch or note correction? Because I have never heard alive Stones show sound this balanced or good .He should given all the tapes left from 1964-1978.Maybe there’s a Brian show he could enhance

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 15, 2022 02:16

Listening online... Route 66 is great! Very surprised with how alive Hand Of Fate is.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 15, 2022 02:28

Thanks for the livestream link, z. Not sure if anyone tuned in. I literally stumbled on this, was just driving by and saw the marquee showing a Rolling Stones album release event.

The event was hosted by local radio guy Jeff Woods and the panel consisted of Rob Bowman (attended the first night concert as a fan, later became a Musicologist, earned a PhD and wrote a book about the Stones); David Bluestein (was in charge of booking gigs there at the time); Duff Roman (was the program director at CHUM and facilitated the gig); David Marksell of The Museum (which hosted Exhibitionism in Kitchener and soon will in Winnipeg) and Michael Wekerle, who bought and restored the ElMo.

There was a recorded interview to start, with Myles Goodwyn of April Wine. He noted that, when the Stones’ equipment truck blew up in Montreal in ‘72 their band scrambled and got all the equipment the Stones needed to perform. Five years later, when looking for a band to open and be a decoy, they got the call. Nice karma.

There were some great stories - and a table full of free stuff!

[photos.smugmug.com]

[photos.smugmug.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-15 03:12 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 15, 2022 04:35

ironbelly

And the lame cover design.
And why no pictures of Bill?

Can't judge a book by it's cover though, and the actual recordings speak for themselves, but they might as well have just packaged it in a plain brown paper bag.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 15, 2022 05:20

deardoctortake1

But this looks like a 6 string strat type he used on Fingerprint file in 75-76, I thought the only song he played guitar on live until When The Whip Comes Down in 78

'Fingerprint File' was only ever performed in 1975. It was dropped in 1976. This new release features all the songs played on 5/3/77 (a friend of mine who I dont think posts here anymore was at this show and confirmed that - contrary to some listings that claim Keith sang 'Happy' - he did not sing lead on any songs at this gig)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-15 05:21 by Gazza.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 15, 2022 05:21

SomeTorontoGirl
Thanks for the livestream link, z. Not sure if anyone tuned in. I literally stumbled on this, was just driving by and saw the marquee showing a Rolling Stones album release event.

The event was hosted by local radio guy Jeff Woods and the panel consisted of Rob Bowman (attended the first night concert as a fan, later became a Musicologist, earned a PhD and wrote a book about the Stones); David Bluestein (was in charge of booking gigs there at the time); Duff Roman (was the program director at CHUM and facilitated the gig); David Marksell of The Museum (which hosted Exhibitionism in Kitchener and soon will in Winnipeg) and Michael Wekerle, who bought and restored the ElMo.

There was a recorded interview to start, with Myles Goodwyn of April Wine. He noted that, when the Stones’ equipment truck blew up in Montreal in ‘72 their band scrambled and got all the equipment the Stones needed to perform. Five years later, when looking for a band to open and be a decoy, they got the call. Nice karma.

There were some great stories - and a table full of free stuff!

[photos.smugmug.com]

[photos.smugmug.com]

This is cool! Thanks for sharing!

Date: May 15, 2022 05:37

Rockman

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-15 05:37 by mnewman505.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061...LastNext
Current Page: 56 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1275
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home