Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 14, 2022 11:47

This performance is one of their greatest without any doubt. And it works astonishingly in the absence of the so called warhorses, but maybe because of the absence. The band once again confirms that they are at their best when they focus on the blues. Many then new songs gain in quality when played live. "Melody" is a highlight as well as "Fool To Cry", a song I didn't like so much on "Black and Blue". All that's really missing is a killer version of "Hey Negrita," a song they played frequently in 76, one of my favorite Stones songs. But Paris 76 is still to come ... I hope.

Posted by: Erhard51 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 12:34

Arrived today.

Limited edition heavyweight 4 x neon vinyl including special etching.

Thanks. Very cool.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: May 14, 2022 12:53

RobertJohnson
...The band once again confirms that they are at their best when they focus on the blues...
I totally agree. On this show Keith and Ronnie play more like the guitar trading Keith and MT used to do. It's a much more defined lead and rythm approach. Ronnie really get the opporunity to shine and he does. In the end of JJF he play on full capasity and shows how great he really is. Its funky and bluesy and his right hand just flows perfect. I never tend to get nerdy about his playing, but on this release I find myself going back and repeating the best licks and trye to incorporate to my own playing. -And one more thing: the mix has the guitars way up front!! Thank you Ronnie and the Rolling Stonesthumbs up

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 13:28

Great release! smiling bouncing smiley

First official release with descent sound in a long time.

As the vinyl is only for the rich I have chosen the HiRes download.

Posted by: danicarton ()
Date: May 14, 2022 13:28

Best Live release ever. Hot Stuff grooves as hell!!! Hand of fate is outstanding. Charlie's on fire, Ronnie's shining all over the place, Bill kills it (listen carefully to the bass lines, a real joy). Only one thing, I prefer Keith Buck up vocals than Billy's. Miss the back up vocals from Keith specially on "Let's spend the night together" and "Luxury". Another thing, the keyboard lines at the begginig of Luxury is the worst thing Billy Preston has done in his entire career. Ja ja ja.
Really love the mistakes here, the false endings, the song structure struggle, Mick giving up with the falsetto in "Worried", that cocaine voice... (the Bill bassline in this one is awesome). Pure Stones at his best, raw, dirty, rock'n'roll.
If there was any doubt, not for me, once again, they prove that they are the best Rock'n'roll band in history. This time they prove it 45 years later.
Thank you Rolling Stones.

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 13:31

danicarton
Best Live release ever. Hot Stuff grooves as hell!!!...

I tend to vote Ya-Ya's spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: May 14, 2022 13:31

Just listening to it again, and not sure if it has been mentioned before but I love the way Ronnie play on Brown Sugar.

HMN

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 14, 2022 13:33

Mocambo goes on Mt.(bums) Rushmore with Ya Ya, Leeds, Brussels, LA Friday. No need to say one is better than the other IMO.

Still would love HQ LA ‘73 and Toads Place

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: May 14, 2022 13:48

Recovering from my listening party last night. Speechless.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 14:25

ShootsWaterRats
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I think the sound on this release is disappointing for all the reasons one might anticipate these days: brickwalled, compressed, fake reverb added. It's like Bob Clearmountain is trying to appeal to today's youth audience that is used to music being overly processed and polished.

I'm baffled by comments from IORR folks who say they actually like the mixes here better than the far more live sounding El Mocambo mixes on Love You Live.

I’m baffled that you’re baffled. Individual tastes. Simple.

Rod

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 14:30

danicarton
Best Live release ever. Hot Stuff grooves as hell!!! Hand of fate is outstanding. Charlie's on fire, Ronnie's shining all over the place, Bill kills it (listen carefully to the bass lines, a real joy). Only one thing, I prefer Keith Buck up vocals than Billy's. Miss the back up vocals from Keith specially on "Let's spend the night together" and "Luxury". Another thing, the keyboard lines at the begginig of Luxury is the worst thing Billy Preston has done in his entire career. Ja ja ja.
Really love the mistakes here, the false endings, the song structure struggle, Mick giving up with the falsetto in "Worried", that cocaine voice... (the Bill bassline in this one is awesome). Pure Stones at his best, raw, dirty, rock'n'roll.
If there was any doubt, not for me, once again, they prove that they are the best Rock'n'roll band in history. This time they prove it 45 years later.
No it’s not.Brusses1973 and LA 1975 and Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out and Altlantic City 1989 and otherscould claim that they are the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-14 14:31 by Taylor1.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: May 14, 2022 15:00

By the 3rd song I had tears in my eyes. What a gem, wat a band. Rock 'n roll doesn't get any better than this. Thank you Bill and Charlie, thank you Rolling Stones.

Date: May 14, 2022 16:38

Maindefender
Mocambo goes on Mt.(bums) Rushmore with Ya Ya, Leeds, Brussels, LA Friday. No need to say one is better than the other IMO.

Still would love HQ LA ‘73 and Toads Place
You got it right.And if there were a recording from the 1972 American tour or the 1973Pacific/ Australian show that had as good a mix and sound as what Clearmountain got on El Mocambo it would be awesome

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 14, 2022 16:43

Amazing............ drinking smiley .........all I'd like now is Knebworth and a complete '76 tour show and I'll be well pleased.

Posted by: BN78 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 17:01

"if you wanna dance with Billy on the piano - you can"

What a treasure this is!

Worried about you, the raw sound on Hot Stuff, Hand of Fate, Tumbling really capture their sound of the times and why they're still today the lead for everyone else to follow in rock n'roll music/history. Of course my bias is blushing spinning smiley sticking its tongue out!!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 14, 2022 17:26

EddieByword
Amazing............ drinking smiley .........all I'd like now is Knebworth and a complete '76 tour show and I'll be well pleased.

Knebworth wasn't the easiest gig for them as they had to follow a smoking hot Lynyrd Skynyrd. Those boys came to play! Ronnie pushed the guitar players out on the tongue of the stage which they had been forbidden to trod upon. They were all good but the late Steve Gaines in particular was outstanding. So sad. He had just joined the band at that point & he never got to live long in his bright future. I would like to see the Stones set, too. & you know the film exists as the whole Skynyrd set came out on video last year.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: May 14, 2022 17:37

Taylor1
danicarton
No it’s not.Brusses1973 and LA 1975 and Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out and Altlantic City 1989 and otherscould claim that they are the best.

What did you edit? It's still full of mistakes.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 14, 2022 17:51

crholmstrom
EddieByword

Knebworth wasn't the easiest gig for them as they had to follow a smoking hot Lynyrd Skynyrd. Those boys came to play! Ronnie pushed the guitar players out on the tongue of the stage which they had been forbidden to trod upon. They were all good but the late Steve Gaines in particular was outstanding. So sad. He had just joined the band at that point & he never got to live long in his bright future. I would like to see the Stones set, too. & you know the film exists as the whole Skynyrd set came out on video last year.

Yeah, I was at Knebworth but didn't feel the Stones were even thinking about Skynyrd regardless that they were really superb....(I wasn't either and only heard of 'issue' of Skynyrd blowing the Stones away years later.

A lot happened between those sets, 10cc (for what they were worth and a 2 hour wait for the Stones.........judging by the vibe from the Stones, I reckon Keith was more concerned about the razor blade laceration (if anything) on his finger than the "abuse" of the tongue and the appreciation of Skynyrd.........

I hope the Stones have all the set. I had a friend working at the BBC about 20 years ago, he said there were (and got for me) just 8 tracks on film.

As I say, I hope the band have everything too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-14 17:59 by EddieByword.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 14, 2022 18:16

This one's so good it makes you languish for a 4cd edition comprised of both nights.
(and an additional CD of the "Cine-a-Vision Studio" pre-gigs rehearsals? I'm sure this sessions include a WLBlues sung by Keith and Ron).

In the meantime... thumbs up smileys with beer

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 14, 2022 18:33

That cowbell on Honkey Tonk Women...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 14, 2022 18:46

After one listen through, my response is WOW!

The energy! Ronnie's playing. Watts and Wyman (Bill was on top of his game)! Of course, The Glimmers. Hell, even ole Billy Preston sounds great!

I also love the production values. More like Bob Seger's Live Bullet than the recently releases live stuff.

Most of these versions beat LYL totally.

All around - A+

A question: Has Hey Negrita ever been played live?

Date: May 14, 2022 18:50

Disregard question as it is answered in the top post on this page. So all of BAB got a live airing.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 14, 2022 19:03

Elmo Lewis

A question: Has Hey Negrita ever been played live?

I'm pretty sure I heard it on some 1976 show recordings

Date: May 14, 2022 19:09

crholmstrom
EddieByword

I had seen Skynyrd on August 1, 1976 and young Steve Gaines was indeed a rising star. A band with as well known a lead singer as RVZ let him sing lead on a couple of songs on Street Survivors and Allen and Gary had both picked up their game after playing with Steve. A tragedy on so many levels.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 14, 2022 19:41

Elmo Lewis
crholmstrom
EddieByword

I had seen Skynyrd on August 1, 1976 and young Steve Gaines was indeed a rising star. A band with as well known a lead singer as RVZ let him sing lead on a couple of songs on Street Survivors and Allen and Gary had both picked up their game after playing with Steve. A tragedy on so many levels.

Ya, I saw them when they were supporting 1 More From the Road. Journey (pre Steve Perry) opened & another band. It was a whole $6! I was supposed to see them on the Street Survivors tour but we sadly know how that turned out.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 14, 2022 20:11

I would like to call this the Brussels of the Woody era.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 14, 2022 20:29

Gazza

Interestingly (or not), while they've left in the between song banter from LYL from the 5/3/77, the actual band intros are missing so either they come from another night or (more likely) they just edited them out. The 'Alright Margaret' shout out to Mrs Trudeau just before 'around & around' on LYL has also been omitted!

I'm guessing the intros are from the other night. On this show when he "Introduces" Charlie and Ollie after Worried Life Blues, it reminds me of the Handsome Girls boot where he says something like " I think you know everyone here" and only introduces Mac and Stu.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-15 00:32 by ryanpow.

Date: May 14, 2022 20:54

gimme_shelter
Taylor1
danicarton

What?It is not their best show ever. It is a great show , but so is Brussels 1973. The Midnight Rambler,Gimme Shelter You Can't Always Get What You Want and Street Fighting Man from Brussels are as great as anything on this El Mocambo release. And there is stuff on London Roundhouse , LA 1975 and Atlantic City 1989 that are as great as anything here. I would say El Mocambo has the best live performances of Tumbling Dice, Hand of Fate , Hot Stuff, Route 66,Rip This Joint I have heard them play. But there are some weaker, still good tracks. Luxury , Fool To Cry and Dance Little Sister are not as good as the album cuts. And Clearmountain did an incredible job of getting everything to be balanced and sound great. Let him do that with a 1972 show and see what you have .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-14 21:06 by Taylor1.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 14, 2022 21:32

Taylor1
gimme_shelter
Taylor1
danicarton

What?It is not their best show ever. It is a great show , but so is Brussels 1973. The Midnight Rambler,Gimme Shelter You Can't Always Get What You Want and Street Fighting Man from Brussels are as great as anything on this El Mocambo release. And there is stuff on London Roundhouse , LA 1975 and Atlantic City 1989 that are as great as anything here. I would say El Mocambo has the best live performances of Tumbling Dice, Hand of Fate , Hot Stuff, Route 66,Rip This Joint I have heard them play. But there are some weaker, still good tracks. Luxury , Fool To Cry and Dance Little Sister are not as good as the album cuts. And Clearmountain did an incredible job of getting everything to be balanced and sound great. Let him do that with a 1972 show and see what you have .

But it´s the setlist, Honey...
And Mick is in top form, his singing is so cool and the announcements never been funnier.
and Ronnie shines - and everybody else.
That false reverb still disturbes me and I prefered if we got the better version of LSTNT from the day before, but HEY - THIS IS WHAT I ALWAYS WANTED - and we got it after all that years. I´m very happy

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 14, 2022 21:35

Just happened to wander by the ElMO, there’s Something happening. Live radio stream starting around 2:45, likely on Q107. More later. grinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1780
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home