Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4950515253545556575859...LastNext
Current Page: 54 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 13, 2022 22:29

the cds sound good to me. then again i'm half deaf in one ear (shingles). i think love you live was the first stones record i bought when it first came out so it's cool to me to have the whole el macombo show

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 13, 2022 22:43

Kurt
To me, this is THE ROLLING STONES.
The best time in the band's history...best lineup, best fire, best drive, best interplay, best equipment, best venue, best best best.

Wow.
Not the best lineup. All three lineups were great. The Brussels 1973 Stones had untoppable ferociously energentic playing. But I also love the best of the Wood years

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-13 22:46 by Taylor1.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 13, 2022 23:01

slewan
must have been a major disappointment for those who saw the shows – I mean: they came to see a brand new band called 'The Cockroaches' and all they got were them ol' Stones instead… grinning smiley

beside that – it most likely the most exciting Stones live release since I don't know when

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 13, 2022 23:34

The Rolling Stones Finally Release Their Legendary ‘El Mocambo 1977’ Small-Club Concert: Album Review

Jem Aswad
May 13, 2022

Like virtually every major rock act in the mid-1970s, the Rolling Stones had become bloated and overblown. After the generation-defining singles of the ‘60s and the stellar string of albums running from “Beggars Banquet” to “Exile on Main Street,” they’d eked out three comparatively uninspired sets that, due to Keith Richards’ formidable heroin addiction and its multiple accompanying legal problems, found Mick Jagger seeking musical foils in guitarist Mick Taylor and then guest keyboardist Billy Preston. Consequently, those albums — “Goat’s Head Soup,” “It’s Only Rock n’ Roll” and “Black and Blue,” the latter of which many fans consider a nadir in the band’s career — at times sounded more like fusiony rock or ‘70s funk than the Stones. Their concerts had suffered as well, with their 1975-’76 sets meandering toward the three-hour mark, loaded with subpar songs from the above albums and even a dozen-minute, de facto intermission set from Preston.

But if one thing can snap a band out of a daze, it’s the prospect of its guitarist, co-songwriter and musical cornerstone — Richards — facing many years in a Canadian prison on drug charges, which is exactly the circumstances under which this unusual and remarkable concert was recorded in March of 1977. Seeking to spice up a forthcoming live album with some clubbier tracks, the Stones had booked two secret shows at Toronto’s legendary, 300-capacity El Mocambo nightclub — and just days before, Richards and longtime paramour Anita Pallenberg were busted at the border with heroin. While ultimately a deal was reached and Richards received only a suspended sentence, that outcome was far in the future during these dramatic shows.

Musically, that make-or-break vibe was exacerbated by the recent rise of punk rock, which had placed bands like the Stones squarely in its sights, even though every punk rock band owed a huge debt to a group that more than any other had shaped the genre’s attitudes a dozen years earlier. But as they’ve showed time and time again, having their backs to the wall brings the best out of the Rolling Stones. The group — with Ron Wood having replaced Taylor on guitar in 1975 — hadn’t played live in several months and the first night was shaky. But by the second show, they’d shaken off the cobwebs and were in classic form.

Along with the stage show, the group’s setlist was downsized for the venue as well: Apart from several (i.e. too many) tracks from “Black and Blue,” the band went straight for the jugular, replacing most of their standard ballads or arena-sized epics like “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” “Sympathy for the Devil” and “Midnight Rambler” with club-era from their very earliest days, like “Around and Around,” “Crackin’ Up,” “Route 66” an even Big Maceo Merriweather’s “Worried Life Blues,” many of which they’d rarely played in the previous dozen years if at all. As Richards says in the liner notes, “The minute I got onstage, it felt just like another Sunday gig at the Crawdaddy. It immediately felt the same…it was one of those weird things in Toronto. Everybody’s going around talking doom and disaster, and we’re up on stage at the El Mocambo, and we never felt better. I mean, we sounded great.”

He’s not joking: He and Wood had locked into the two-guitars-sounding-like-one tag team Richards had enjoyed with Brian Jones in the band’s early days; the eternally underrated Bill Wyman’s paradoxically low-key and flashy bass playing zooms and swoops; and Charlie Watts drives the band with the uptight laid-backness that is the foundation of their greatness. Jagger is not only in fine voice, he’s hilarious, telling his bandmates to “watch out for their bottoms” and continually baiting the critics, asking if they’ve had enough to drink. All of this is captured in pristine sound quality — that’s Richards’ guitar in the right channel and Wood in the left — even the weak, historic-interest-only songs from night one that are tacked onto the end.

The world’s greatest rock and roll band is surprisingly unspontaneous on stage — locking down a tour’s setlist after the first night or two and rarely deviating from it — but outlier shows like this one can find them comically confused: At one point, Wood says to Jagger, “Don’t let the audience hear, but what [song] are we doing?”

“I don’t know!” Jagger replies. “Keith keeps putting on guitars and taking them off again.” But then they break into a killer version of “Little Red Rooster,” a deep blues that is one of the greatest songs of their early catalog and an unlikely No. 1 single in the U.K. in 1964: Richards and Wood duel on slide guitars while Ian Stewart, a founding member of the band and longtime road manager, plays some dazzling blues piano.

In the months that followed these shows, Richards kicked heroin, took a clear-eyed look at his band and apparently thought, “Wot’s all this?” Preston and percussionist Ollie Brown were out, and although the group actually followed its funk-leaning proclivities with the even-less timeless disco of “Miss You,” their next album, “Some Girls,” was filled with a supercharged version of classic Stones rock and roll — incorporating both the energy of punk and the swing of dance music into a template that would see them through the rest of their long, long career.

One could argue, in the parlance of the era, that the concert captured here was the first day of the rest of the Stones’ lives — and 45 years later, you’re in that sweaty club with them.

[variety.com]

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 00:09

Number 1, the Stones were not bloated in the early1970s.Exile and Sticky are 2of their best 4albums.Goat,IORR and Black nBlue were better than most groups could dream of with some great songs.1972-1973, they were at a peak live.If you listen to El Mocambo most of the songs have a lead/rhythm tandem, not two guitars , one sound,where you can’t tell if it’s Richards or Wood playing.On Rip This Joint Wood is playing like Taylor on Brussels and it’s great.This is nonsense

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 14, 2022 00:26

Taylor1
Number 1, the Stones were not bloated in the early1970s.Exile and Sticky are 2of their best 4albums.Goat,IORR and Black nBlue were better than most groups could dream of with some great songs.1972-1973, they were at a peak live.If you listen to El Mocambo most of the songs have a lead/rhythm tandem, not two guitars , one sound,where you can’t tell if it’s Richards or Wood playing.On Rip This Joint Wood is playing like Taylor on Brussels and it’s great.This is nonsense

totally agree with you

Date: May 14, 2022 00:44

"The weak, historic-interest-only songs from night one that are tacked onto the end" is also nonsense.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 14, 2022 00:44

"One could argue, in the parlance of the era, that the concert captured here was the first day of the rest of the Stones’ lives..."

Or one could argue, it was the beginning of the end of the last great chapter of the Stones which ultimately burned out c'81/'82 for the most part.

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: May 14, 2022 00:55

what is this? an atmos actual release or ???

Posted by: jason8903 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 00:56

The Stones post 82 tour fell victim to the MTV era/rap/electronic music scene as well as the choreographed stage show.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 01:27

I've had a long day & night at work and I just managed to get into HMV before they closed at 9PM and went straight to The Stones section but El Mocambo was not there. It must be in the new releases section I thought? It wasn't!!!! So I ask this kid working there and he told me that they did not get many delivered, but he is sure that he saw a copy about 20 mins ago but he could not remember where. We both start looking and he spots it snuggled up to the Depeche Mode CDs. I could have hugged him, but I gave him a fiver instead.

I've just listened to it once, and once is all I need to know that it's a bit special. It's the sound of The Greatest Rock n Roll band in the world in damn fine form.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-14 01:28 by strat72.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 02:52

Dig dang, Jumpin' Jack Flash! That's one for the ages.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 02:56

Billy is introducing a synth-pop element to Luxury, wow.

Posted by: ShootsWaterRats ()
Date: May 14, 2022 03:04

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I think the sound on this release is disappointing for all the reasons one might anticipate these days: brickwalled, compressed, fake reverb added. It's like Bob Clearmountain is trying to appeal to today's youth audience that is used to music being overly processed and polished.

I'm baffled by comments from IORR folks who say they actually like the mixes here better than the far more live sounding El Mocambo mixes on Love You Live.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 14, 2022 03:38

ShootsWaterRats
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I think the sound on this release is disappointing for all the reasons one might anticipate these days: brickwalled, compressed, fake reverb added. It's like Bob Clearmountain is trying to appeal to today's youth audience that is used to music being overly processed and polished.

I'm baffled by comments from IORR folks who say they actually like the mixes here better than the far more live sounding El Mocambo mixes on Love You Live.

Not worth commenting on here. Sonic awareness is absent on this board. Its been fixed and sounds much better if you know where to look.

What a great show. I cannot believe Keiths tone on Luxury! Sooooooo Good

Very pleased. Best LIVE since Ya Ya's

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 04:14

ShootsWaterRats

ZZZZZZZs

Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 14, 2022 04:32

I’m listening on Qobuz. This is really a great release. Great show, and sounds great for a release from ‘77. Glad to have it.

(Could really do without Hot Stuff, though.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-14 04:54 by bam.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: May 14, 2022 04:39

You "brickwalled" people are so weird. The sound is outstanding here.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: May 14, 2022 04:43

Billy Preston really knows how to bring out the best in other musicians it seems.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 14, 2022 05:34

bam
I’m listening on Qobuz. This is really a great release. Great show, and sounds great for a release from ‘77. Glad to have it.

Seriously? Its an absolute highlight for me. They've rarely sounded funkier. This elevates a track which on B&B was little more than a good groove into a monster.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 14, 2022 05:41

Gazza
bam

Seriously? Its an absolute highlight for me. They've rarely sounded funkier. This elevates a track which on B&B was little more than a good groove into a monster.

Yup, just gonna have to disagree on that one. Love every track, except Hot Stuff and LSTNT.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 14, 2022 07:16

Just got through listening the show. It was a pure delight. The Stones were put on this Earth to show us how to have a good time.

A couple of early comments:

I like the set list, it's paced totally different from how they normally do a show.

I liked Fool To Cry. Mick's "Huh Huh" during the break is priceless. I wonder what he's laughing at?

Lets Spend The Night Together is really cool. I didn't care for the bootleg version of the song from this show, but when I hear it on this mix I like how they played it.

Also I really like Route 66.

I don't know if the mix I heard is the same as the singles or not, but it worked for me. It captures a warmth and charm.

I'm saving the bonus tracks for tomorrow.

Well done all around.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-14 07:43 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 14, 2022 07:27

Gazza
bam

100%

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 14, 2022 07:38

jahisnotdead
Billy Preston really knows how to bring out the best in other musicians it seems.

I think Billy's contributions with the Beatles was way more influential mainly due to him adding a dabble of blues and soul to a band that greatly lacked it compared to the Stones. His contributions here don't carry as much weight. To me, the presence of Ollie Brown affected the band more so than Billy did.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 14, 2022 07:39

Taylor1
Number 1, the Stones were not bloated in the early1970s.e

I think they were, but they wore it well.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: May 14, 2022 07:40

For those of you who are still wanting the coloured vinyl,the Stones shop is taking orders again.Some crazy prices been touted on E bay right now.£101.94 at the Stones shop and that includes shipping,which is only slightly higher than the regular black vinyl,

Posted by: rereuk ()
Date: May 14, 2022 10:37

yes EL MOCAMBO is great. amazing how great they were. sad really...

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: May 14, 2022 10:54

Taylor1

You are absolutely right but this is a typical journalistic cliche where in order to praise something they need to damn what preceded it: the 70s music scene was dreadful until punk came along for example. Also utter crap - the 70s music scene was great from day one.

Posted by: edwinholland ()
Date: May 14, 2022 10:55

To The Rolling Stones:

Thank you very and very much for this release.

This brings happiness

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 11:13

Taylor1
Kurt
To me, this is THE ROLLING STONES.
The best time in the band's history...best lineup, best fire, best drive, best interplay, best equipment, best venue, best best best.

Wow.
Not the best lineup. All three lineups were great. The Brussels 1973 Stones had untoppable ferociously energentic playing. But I also love the best of the Wood years

Yes, Brussels and Leeds are shining too. The Mocambo and Texas 78 give an impression of their peak with Ronnie Wood.
I can't stop thinking and saying: This Mocambo release is one of their top releases. What could be more to come?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4950515253545556575859...LastNext
Current Page: 54 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1555
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home