Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4849505152535455565758...LastNext
Current Page: 53 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 13, 2022 17:57

Oooo Dance Little Sister is great. Picked up on "Dance the fire, dance" I believe in the lyrics, love that line(if that's what it is)

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: May 13, 2022 18:09

Stoneage
I think the late seventies was the last time the Stones really mattered. Producing new albums every other year and bringing them onstage. In many ways the 1981/82 tour was the farewell to that.
Yes, I agree. 1981 / 1982 was their last Rock'n Roll tour. Everything after this was different, more pollished or "Las Vegas". But this does not mean, they should have dtopped or anything like that. They changed after a crisis, they got older etc.
They still play concerts and we love them.
But this El Mocambo release is showing how vital they were in the late 70s.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 13, 2022 18:12

bye bye johnny
Review: The Stones Roll Back The Clock to Release 1977 Historic El Mocambo Club Show

By Hal Horowitz
May 13, 2022

Rolling Stones
Live at the El Mocambo
(UMe)
4 out of 5 stars

[americansongwriter.com]

Wow looks like Keith wanted an all blues set, glad that didn't happen.....

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 13, 2022 18:47

To me, this is THE ROLLING STONES.
The best time in the band's history...best lineup, best fire, best drive, best interplay, best equipment, best venue, best best best.

Wow.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 13, 2022 18:51

How The Rolling Stones Set Up Their Secret Toronto Gigs Of 1977

This excerpt from the liner notes to ‘Live At The El Mocambo’ details how the group pulled off a wild secret gig.

Published on May 13, 2022
By Paul Sexton

Photo: Bettman/Getty Images

In 1977, the Rolling Stones played secret shows over the course of two nights at Toronto’s El Mocambo. Now available officially for the first time, Live At The El Mocambo collects the best of those performances, showcasing the band at the top of their game in the most intimate of settings. In this excerpt from the liner notes to the release, Paul Sexton describes how the band pulled off the secret gig.

As ever when the Rolling Stones blew into any town with a “secret” gig on their minds, the dates at the 300-capacity club known locally as El Mo had to be set up with considerable subterfuge. The smokescreen came in the form of Montreal rock favorites April Wine, who would later make their big international play with such Capitol albums as Harder…Faster and the platinum-selling The Nature of the Beast.

Keeping anything on the down low when it involved the most famous rock ‘n’ roll band in the world was always a challenge… [But] the visit had been scoped out months before, by Mick Jagger and tour manager Peter Rudge. The previous year, they had walked into the city’s bespoke Windsor Arms Hotel, a bolthole for visiting celebrities, as they scouted potential sites for the club idea. Duff Roman, radio personality and executive and a bastion of the Canadian music business, happened to be there too.

“I saw [them] walk in,” he later told the National Post. “I tried to play it cool, and wrote a message on my CHUM FM business card that said, ‘I’m here if you need anything.’ I called the waiter over and had him take it to Mick and Peter’s table. Rudge looked at it first and then Mick wanted to see. After a while, they looked over and I nodded, smiled and pointed. Then they left. It was months before I heard from them again.”

When he did, Rudge asked Roman if he thought he could pull off the events without incurring a media orgy. “I told him that we could,” Roman recalled, “and then started thinking about how we could actually do it without anyone knowing.”

The booker for the venue, Dave Bluestein, came up with the idea of announcing the March shows as by April Wine. A radio contest was organized in which listeners were asked the question “What would you do to see the Rolling Stones play live?” It was a tactic that ensured a full house of real devotees, even if it also prompted the arrival of more than a few nude polaroids. The prize was tickets to see April Wine with an unknown band called the Cockroaches. Guess who.

“We had natural cover,” says Bluestein, “because if anything got out, we could say, ‘No, look, April Wine is playing. That’s the gig. It says so right here. Another band was added to the April Wine shows called the Cockroaches, which was the Stones’ alias. On the day of the first show, the band rehearsed upstairs and soundchecked for the live recording.”

The band had not played live in seven months. They were dealing with a welter of internal issues, including their attempts to prevent the News of the World from publishing images from Robert Frank’s infamous 1972 film C*cksucker Blues. Halfway through rehearsals in Toronto, Mick had to rush to New York, where his daughter Jade had appendicitis. But it was Keith’s debilitating burdens that were most urgent in their minds.

“I can tell you, I cared about Keith, and not just as a work colleague,” said Bill Wyman in his Rolling With The Stones book of 2002. “We had been through so much in the previous 13 years, conquered the world, shared in an adventure the likes of which mere words cannot do justice to. But it was true, Keith didn’t have to live by the rules of normal society…but when all is said and done, it’s Keith’s life.”

On the day of the first El Mocambo date, the Stones arrived for a soundcheck at 4.30pm. Passers-by, catching the echoes of ‘Honky Tonk Women’ or ‘Tumbling Dice,’ no doubt marveled at the authenticity of the Stones covers act that must surely be playing that night. When the band returned for the show, April Wine were naturally now in a support slot that would yield their own Live At The El Mocambo album later that year. Indeed, the cachet of their involvement in this unforgettable moment would earn them their passport to the international stage.

As if the Stones weren’t already occupying enough unwanted column inches, there was more red meat for the media when Margaret Trudeau, Canada’s First Lady and wife of Prime Minister Pierre, turned up for the gig with Mick and Ronnie. This was before the public knew that Trudeaus’ six-year marriage, the anniversary of which they were notably not celebrating together, was in tatters.

Margaret attended both shows, leaping up and down near the mixing desk. Curtains twitched, editors frothed. Back home, News At Ten ran a report. “She just wanted to see the shows, and that’s the end of it,” Mick told the CBC.

[As a result] the cat was out of the bag, and the Cockroaches out in the open, by the second night. “Word had got out,” remembered Bill, “and it was very difficult to get in.” Keith, undoubtedly relieved to escape the press frenzy even for the length of the gig, reflected: “The minute I got onstage, it felt just like another Sunday gig at the Crawdaddy. It immediately felt the same…it was one of those weird things in Toronto. Everybody’s going around talking doom and disaster, and we’re up on stage at the El Mocambo, and we never felt better. I mean, we sounded great.”

To read the full liner notes, including a lengthy description of the second night’s show, buy or stream Live At The El Mocambo.

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 13, 2022 18:54

Yes, this didn´t hurt... smiling smiley

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: May 13, 2022 19:19

This is a great, great release. I just listened to the vinyl the first time. Maybe one of the best releases in years, and one of the best live concerts officially released. I think it's better than Brussels Affair to be honest.
The 'extra' disc (side G on vinyl) doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the high level of the first 3 discs. On "Melody' I hear the 2022 Mick singing (overdub?). On 'Luxury' Mick sings way out of tune and sounds like a whole different song compared to the original. The vocals on 'Worried about you' are kinda strange in the first 2 minutes.Mick's falsetto has not yet developed yet to the levels of 'emotional rescue'. After that, it's really good!

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 13, 2022 19:43

I don't hear any 2022 Mick on Melody

Date: May 13, 2022 19:45

Have to say I don't really dig that Let's spend the night together version. They chose a higher pitch than normally and it's just too high for Mick that way. Clearly they were still trying to figure out how to play it live. Form 1981 on they knew how.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-13 19:47 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: May 13, 2022 20:07

Hey, where are the dynamic range measurement guys?

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 13, 2022 20:12

Ya'll got me to purchase this when I wasn't planning on it.. I "have" expectations and they are high

Date: May 13, 2022 20:14

drwatts

Still measuring.

Posted by: rolling1us ()
Date: May 13, 2022 20:23

This is fantastic!! Best live album of their entire career, easily.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: May 13, 2022 20:23

StonedRambler
z
ProfessorWolf
now it's just being released but i predict that this will end up being the most well received release from the stones on this site in a long time

just saying so far not a lotta complaints

Everything alright in the critics section?
This is the usual euphoria in the beginning. Then the guys with the dynamic range mesurements come ahead and from there it's downhill winking smiley

or there's always that guy that complains about the way Jagger sings.

Date: May 13, 2022 20:34

gimme_shelter
StonedRambler
z
ProfessorWolf
now it's just being released but i predict that this will end up being the most well received release from the stones on this site in a long time

just saying so far not a lotta complaints

Everything alright in the critics section?
This is the usual euphoria in the beginning. Then the guys with the dynamic range mesurements come
ahead and from there it's downhill winking smiley

or there's always that guy that complains about the way Jagger sings.
Yeah that guy's the worst haha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-13 20:34 by StonedRambler.

Date: May 13, 2022 20:37

drwatts
Already going strong at the Steve Hoffmann forum. But I will not post it here. So many people saying it sounds good speaks for itself. Actually the DR isn't that bad, there have been more compressed releases in recent years

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 13, 2022 20:39

It seems everybody's happy, are you happy? drinking smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 13, 2022 20:46

StonedRambler

there were overdubs done for LYL in 1977 so any that appear on this record may have been added then

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: May 13, 2022 20:55

Got that art from Twitter, who ever did it, it's way cool !

HMN

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 13, 2022 21:00

Let´spend the night together is different from the bootleg-version, which is the better one

Posted by: mattstones ()
Date: May 13, 2022 21:15

Hand of Fate is sublime

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: May 13, 2022 21:22

deardoctor
Let´spend the night together is different from the bootleg-version, which is the better one

LSTNT Bootleg version is from March, 4th.

Posted by: Gram ()
Date: May 13, 2022 21:27

Love it…what a great release. Now, just imagine someone had filmed one of the two nights as well…

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 13, 2022 21:29

micha063
Stoneage
I think the late seventies was the last time the Stones really mattered. Producing new albums every other year and bringing them onstage. In many ways the 1981/82 tour was the farewell to that.
Yes, I agree. 1981 / 1982 was their last Rock'n Roll tour. Everything after this was different, more pollished or "Las Vegas". But this does not mean, they should have dtopped or anything like that. They changed after a crisis, they got older etc.
They still play concerts and we love them.
But this El Mocambo release is showing how vital they were in the late 70s.

thumbs up

This great release lines up well with their current strategy of nostalgia and living in the past. From setlists consisting mostly of their greatest tunes over 40+ years old, to great live releases of performances that are over 40+ years old. There has still been sporadic instances of that Stonesy greatness throughout the years post '81/'82 studio-wise, but those instances are very few and far between. They seems to have thrived and survived better in a live setting playing the massive stadiums and arenas with all he bells and whistles, along with a few great club/theater shows. Today it's become simply an embarrassment they can't even release a new album of originals, but at least there's still some fun moments live to please the masses. Mick is still a great front man, and will continue to lead the few remnants of the band to the end...even if he has to drag them across the finish line. In the meantime, best to appreciate their former greatness to it's fullest with releases such as this, and ultimately, they're close to 80 years old - bless them.. Not many of the general public will buy this overpriced release, but in a way that's what makes it even more special. There will be no inflated sales numbers based on massive Christmas times sales, and it's a release aimed mostly at the diehards who are willing to overpay for nostalgia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-13 21:39 by Hairball.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 13, 2022 21:32

Gazza
StonedRambler

there were overdubs done for LYL in 1977 so any that appear on this record may have been added then

Do the bootlegs of this have overdubs?

I’m interested to know what’s been overdubbed because my guess is there are definitely some guitars being replaced.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: May 13, 2022 21:42

Who is playing the harp on Mannish Boy?

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: May 13, 2022 21:46

mattstones
Hand of Fate is sublime

Why did Clearmountain mix this track differently than the other tracks? Ron Wood’s guitar is mixed to the center in this song. Also lower. Odd…

Same as Brown Sugar from Marquee 1971. Just 1 song mixed different than the rest of the show.

Posted by: TaurocTony ()
Date: May 13, 2022 21:53

Will soon be released on the RSTG label.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 13, 2022 22:19

must have been a major disappointment for those who saw the shows – I mean: they came to see a brand new band called 'The Cockroaches' and all they got were them ol' Stones instead… grinning smiley

Date: May 13, 2022 22:21

TravelinMan
Gazza
StonedRambler

Do the bootlegs of this have overdubs?

I’m interested to know what’s been overdubbed because my guess is there are definitely some guitars being replaced.

Not replaced, but added.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4849505152535455565758...LastNext
Current Page: 53 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1980
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home