Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4142434445464748495051...LastNext
Current Page: 46 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 11, 2022 20:04

Mathijs
This is a truly, truly absolutely truly fantastic release! Spoilers now...

The sound is utterly fantastic, much drier than the previously four released tracks. The playing is FANTASTIC, nobody ever played better than this, Preston and Ollie Brown turn it into a party, and Jagger has never sung any better than on this release (in fact so good on Cracking Up that it could have been done in a studio back in the day...). They left a few of the overdubs as well, like Wood's second guitar in Cracking Up, a harmonica in Mannish Boy, and the first solo of Worried Life Blues.

I think this might be the best live release from the Stones. It even blows Ya Ya's out of the water....

Mathijs
I now have high expectations when this arrives for me on Friday .

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 11, 2022 20:06

Mathijs
MadMetaphoricalMax
I have to agree. Bar Brussels 73, and maybe even including that, this is the best live set they'll ever release. Hard to pick a top three - a top 24 is an easier task ...

Ok ok Brussels is mythical...

Top 3 is hard to pick, but on number 1 is Dance Little Sister! Stones RnR doesn't get any better than this. Why they played this one only a few times is beyond me!

Mathijs
yup , great track that would rock good and hard in the modern day setlist. Heck get the crown in a boogie woogie fever for sure .

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 11, 2022 20:08

Having a one listen all I can say that no one does recordings like this no more. But gladly someone still releases them (about time)!

This is what a holy grail sounds like.

No further comments or analysis yet. Now it is time just to listen and enjoy!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-11 20:11 by Doxa.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 11, 2022 20:11

TheflyingDutchman

Ron Wood was the logical choice. Not a big musical ego, easy to work with and a showman, looking like a Rolling Stone. Very important.

And able to stay up for days, cracking some silly jokes, having a big musical culture...

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: May 11, 2022 20:24

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Back in 1977, between the ill-fated Black and Blue and the career-rejuvenating Some Girls, the Rolling Stones managed to keep secret, for a little while anyway, their intentions to play a pair of intimate shows at Toronto's famous El Mocambo club. With fans lined up to see local heroes April Wine, via tickets won through a radio contest, supporting act the Cockroaches looked quite familiar once they took the stage.

The Stones played two shows on March 4 and 5 at the 400-seat club, filled with classic songs ("Honky Tonk Women," "Jumpin' Jack Flash"), old favorites ("Route 66," "Little Red Rooster") and some new cuts ("Worried About You," which wouldn't surface until four years later on Tattoo You). Four songs from the concerts showed up on the concert album Love You Live that September, buried among bloated tracks taken from the road-weary band's 1975-76 tour.

Those songs were always the standouts on the live LP but haven't been heard in their proper context (at least legally) for more than 45 years. Live at the El Mocambo gathers the entirety of the March 5 performance along with three songs from the earlier show, and it's a revelation for anyone who thought 1978's Some Girls was the trigger point for the Stones' return. All they needed, it turned out, was to get out of the spotlight and back to their roots to reclaim their crown as the Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band in the World.

Of course, Some Girls confirmed this as the group confronted its looming dinosaur status by going on the defense against punk and disco, adapting the young genres to their strengths and needs. You can hear them already thinking of this approach in El Mocambo's 23 tracks, reworking old classics by injecting new life into them. Mick Jagger snarls, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood's guitars slash and Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman's on-point rhythm forcefully pushes everything along.

The set list is mostly familiar; many of the songs were staples of their world-conquering tours from the previous half-decade or so: "Tumbling Dice," "Let's Spend the Night Together," "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll" and "Brown Sugar" have been part of Stones shows since they were introduced. What's different here is the band's looseness. Early on they go through the motions for the most part, but once they settle into the smaller stage and an audience that's an integral piece of the performance it's easy to forget they were filling stadiums just months earlier.

So the middle section of the 107-minute album is the launching point of the show's legend. Starting with mid-set covers of Muddy Waters' "Mannish Boy" and Bo Diddley's "Crackin' Up" and ending with a one-two punch of "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll" and a breathless "Rip This Joint," the Stones hadn't sounded this vital onstage since the '60s ended. Check out the snapping "Around and Around" and the way they raunch up the already raunchy "Star Star." And "Little Red Rooster," a Love You Live highlight, takes a similar central position here.

But even the overplayed and relatively weaker tracks come alive in the new context. A minor song like "Hand of Fate" from Black and Blue crackles with energy here, as Jagger and Richards share a call-and-response near the end. The often-played "Jumpin' Jack Flash" doesn't sound like an obligation, as it has onstage for years before and since this Toronto date – especially in the go-for-broke finale. Whether intended or not, the performances heard on Live at the El Mocambo gave the Rolling Stones the jolt that they needed to move forward during a period of doubt. It was another turning point, finally available for all to savor.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: May 11, 2022 20:34

Cant bloody wait to hear this! Almost surreal to know it is actually being released after so many years a Grail item.

Posted by: Matt1984 ()
Date: May 11, 2022 20:39

I’ve only ever bought two live vinyl releases from the band before. The first being Sweet Summer Sun: Live in Hyde Park. I’ve kept it purely because I was at one of the shows, but the sound is pretty awful. The second being the recent A Bigger Bang: Live On Copacabana Beach. I gave it a listen but returned it as there was no way I would ever want to listen to it again. The sound was also terrible and worse than Hyde Park. Anyway, I’m very much looking forward to this release based on what I’ve heard already.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 11, 2022 20:48

Mathijs

The sound is utterly fantastic, much drier than the previously four released tracks. The playing is FANTASTIC, nobody ever played better than this, Preston and Ollie Brown turn it into a party, and Jagger has never sung any better than on this release (in fact so good on Cracking Up that it could have been done in a studio back in the day...). They left a few of the overdubs as well, like Wood's second guitar in Cracking Up, a harmonica in Mannish Boy, and the first solo of Worried Life Blues.

I think this might be the best live release from the Stones. It even blows Ya Ya's out of the water....

Mathijs

Absolutely agree. I heard the album today on a great system in my car and my thoughts are that this is actually better than Ya-Yas.

The recording is of such high quality that the soul of the Stones shines through. Each instrument can breathe and we get none of the muddiness that pretty much every one of their archive releases - with the exception of Brussels - has been hampered with over the last few decades.

It knocks Love You Live for six and there is a warmth, and detail there that made my heart jump. Most importantly of all it reminds you that on their day these guys were truly the greatest rock'n'roll band on the planet.

The recording reveals the true soul of the Rolling Stones, the camaraderie and good time mischief-making but most of all the wonderful musicianship and warmth in their interplay.

I've only listened to it once but the early stand-outs for me are Crazy Mama, Ronnie on fire as he drives the song with that definitive wailing lead style of his; Little Red Rooster which matches any of the blues numbers on Ya-Yas and that's saying something because we all know how on fire they were then.

We all love side 3 of Love You Live, right? - but you ain't heard nuthin' till you hear the versions on this album.

In fact all the Ronnie critics out there - listen to him on this album and you'll hear him like never before. He pretty much steals the show.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 11, 2022 20:48

To those who alreadY have it, you lucky BASTARDS!

C

Date: May 11, 2022 20:58

Mathijs
MadMetaphoricalMax
I have to agree. Bar Brussels 73, and maybe even including that, this is the best live set they'll ever release. Hard to pick a top three - a top 24 is an easier task ...

Ok ok Brussels is mythical...

Top 3 is hard to pick, but on number 1 is Dance Little Sister! Stones RnR doesn't get any better than this. Why they played this one only a few times is beyond me!

Mathijs

And we get the bridge twice!

Sensational show thumbs up

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 11, 2022 21:12

Mathijs

Mathijs

Wait the four recently released tracks sound different on the 2CD release ? None of that silly massive reverb ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 11, 2022 21:25

gotdablouse
Mathijs

Mathijs

Wait the four recently released tracks sound different on the 2CD release ? None of that silly massive reverb ?

That's exactly why some pages ago I petitioned all the complainers here to wait for the final releases' arrival.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: May 11, 2022 21:41

If anyone here wants to share something with me...my E-Mail is visible :-)

Can't wait until friday

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 11, 2022 21:42

One Minor question I have, is that I wonder if when it's released on Spotify, will sound like the singles? It will be great either way.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 11, 2022 21:49

Listening to Hot Stuff now! Oh yes! So funky, the rhythm section is so slinky, in fact they are all the rhythm section at times! And Ronnie's soaring-gnarly solo is the shiznit.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: May 11, 2022 21:58

ryanpow
One Minor question I have, is that I wonder if when it's released on Spotify, will sound like the singles? It will be great either way.

cds sounds a much better than Spotify...

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 11, 2022 22:00

Also: How are you guys listening to this now. I though it wasn't out til Friday?

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 11, 2022 22:03

retired_dog
gotdablouse
Mathijs

Mathijs

That's exactly why some pages ago I petitioned all the complainers here to wait for the final releases' arrival.

This is such fantastic news!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 11, 2022 22:05

peoplewitheyes

How are you guys listening to this now. I though it wasn't out til Friday?

If someone has already the CDs .... [iorr.org] .

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 11, 2022 22:09

deardoctor
retired_dog
gotdablouse
Mathijs

Mathijs

This is such fantastic news!

It's my second favourite live album of all time, behind Brussels, and I haven't even heard it yet! I hope I actually like it too!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 11, 2022 22:24

hockenheim95
If anyone here wants to share something with me...my E-Mail is visible :-)

Can't wait until friday

or at least share crazy mama here

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 11, 2022 22:24

Will be interesting indeed if the mix is different on CD than on Spotify

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 11, 2022 22:25

Such treasures. The L.A. Forum 'Live in '75' we thought we'd never see and hear except in a muddy video bootleg. Brussells '73, confirming that they reached their live peak on that tour. Some Girls in Texas, '78, changing the perception of that short tour entirely by compressing them in basically a club date. 'Charlie Is My Darling', showing what the Stones '65 was all about. All kicked off in 1996 with 'The Rock and Roll Circus', showing us the '68 Stones, and the sad state of Brian Jones. Live and mimed performances from Ed Sullivan, Hyde Park '69.

And now El Mocambo. I think we're getting near the back of the vault, unless they're holding onto Knebworth, or Paris '76. A better version of Paris '67, or anywhere in Europe. A previously unknown tape of their American tour '66. I'm so grateful.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: May 11, 2022 22:33

24FPS
...I think we're getting near the back of the vault, unless they're holding onto Knebworth, or Paris '76. A better version of Paris '67, or anywhere in Europe. A previously unknown tape of their American tour '66. I'm so grateful.

I would add one show from the always forgotten European Tour '70.

HMN

Date: May 11, 2022 22:36

24FPS
Such treasures. The L.A. Forum 'Live in '75' we thought we'd never see and hear except in a muddy video bootleg. Brussells '73, confirming that they reached their live peak on that tour. Some Girls in Texas, '78, changing the perception of that short tour entirely by compressing them in basically a club date. 'Charlie Is My Darling', showing what the Stones '65 was all about. All kicked off in 1996 with 'The Rock and Roll Circus', showing us the '68 Stones, and the sad state of Brian Jones. Live and mimed performances from Ed Sullivan, Hyde Park '69.

And now El Mocambo. I think we're getting near the back of the vault, unless they're holding onto Knebworth, or Paris '76. A better version of Paris '67, or anywhere in Europe. A previously unknown tape of their American tour '66. I'm so grateful.

for video before 89 there doesn't seem to be much left with some notable exceptions

but as for soundboards from 65-81 its just the tip of the iceberg

just off the top of my mind i'd like to see memphis and lexington, kentucky 78 released

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-11 22:42 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: May 11, 2022 22:38

Well, the real hot and long digged show has come to a release and this is along with Leeds 71 and Brussels 73 the ultimate release. I'm looking very forward to listen to it!

Date: May 11, 2022 22:45

also sighunts msg 69 boxset too

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 11, 2022 22:50

Honestman
24FPS
...I think we're getting near the back of the vault, unless they're holding onto Knebworth, or Paris '76. A better version of Paris '67, or anywhere in Europe. A previously unknown tape of their American tour '66. I'm so grateful.

Is it really any different from the '69 American Tour? They weren't playing Sticky Fingers songs until '71, if I'm correct, although it appears that Dead Flowers was played regularly.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 11, 2022 22:55

This almost makes you forget they haven't released a new studio of originals in nearly 17 years, and it's possible this will give them something "new" to add to the stagnant setlists.
Dance little Sister would be my wish, followed by Hot Stuff, but sadly I doubt they could play them anywhere near as good as they used to. Crazy Mama might be easier to pull off in this latter era...a bit simpler...
Might as well enjoy the release for what it is - a wondeful time capsule of a long lost distant era...when they arguably were the Worlds Greatest Rock and Roll Band...a long 45 years ago...

Date: May 11, 2022 23:03

24FPS
Honestman
24FPS

Is it really any different from the '69 American Tour? They weren't playing Sticky Fingers songs until '71, if I'm correct, although it appears that Dead Flowers was played regularly.

they also played brown sugar and roll over beethoven

but the biggest difference is the inclusion of a horn section for the first time

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4142434445464748495051...LastNext
Current Page: 46 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home