Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 11, 2022 10:07

GasLightStreet
Hairball
Looks like Bill didn't make it in to any of the pics whatsoever - not even any of the pics in the booklet. A shame....

He was never exciting or engaging. He just kinda stood there.

Seems reasonable.

He just stood there? I always thought, he was the bass player.

But in this case they have to remove Mick Taylor in all the old pictures as well - he just kinda stood there. No jumping around at all. And what about Charlie?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 11, 2022 11:05

deardoctor
GasLightStreet
Hairball
Looks like Bill didn't make it in to any of the pics whatsoever - not even any of the pics in the booklet. A shame....

He was never exciting or engaging. He just kinda stood there.

Seems reasonable.

He just stood there? I always thought, he was the bass player.

But in this case they have to remove Mick Taylor in all the old pictures as well - he just kinda stood there. No jumping around at all. And what about Charlie?

Charlie? He just sat there.

Date: May 11, 2022 12:15

Here's my preview piece for The Arts Desk on El Mocambo as well as SIXTY and the upcoming tour. All I can say is, while there may be complaints about the sound of this release V LYL side 3, everything negative drops away once you drop the needle on the tracks. Or should do. Maybe not on this forum.... the Black & Blue cuts are my favourites, then the club cuts - a fantastic Little Red Rooster that's different by some ways from Love You Live, and an incredible band performance. Mannish Boy sans the overdubs is less scrappy and shouty. The final trio of Luxury, Melody and Worried About You - fantastically loose but bang on target. There's some kind of bouncy electronic track going on in Luxury that has to snake dance with Keith's guitar to find its place... It does. There's no argument with the music - review based on online files. Can't wait to get an actual physical copy.

[theartsdesk.com]

Date: May 11, 2022 12:53

Nice write-up, Max thumbs up

Posted by: edwinholland ()
Date: May 11, 2022 13:34

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 11, 2022 14:48

edwinholland

[www.youtube.com]

It's the same Unboxing-Video like here - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: DeeGee ()
Date: May 11, 2022 15:05

instead of unboxing it for us, he should have played
the bloody cd winking smiley))

Date: May 11, 2022 15:06

Posted by: edwinholland ()
Date: May 11, 2022 15:47

Irix
edwinholland

[www.youtube.com]

It's the same Unboxing-Video like here - [iorr.org] .

Sorry

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: May 11, 2022 16:36

Imagine being lucky enough to have been there to watch that!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 11, 2022 16:49

Always nice to see STU playing his major chords boogie on stage!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: May 11, 2022 16:54

absolutely

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 11, 2022 17:04

What will you do when receive the record?

Was thinking of inviting friends for a listening party with very loud music and lost of alcohol ... but I am not too sure that I will be able to wait for the friends to arrive!

C

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 11, 2022 17:24

MadMetaphoricalMax
Here's my preview piece for The Arts Desk on El Mocambo as well as SIXTY and the upcoming tour. All I can say is, while there may be complaints about the sound of this release V LYL side 3, everything negative drops away once you drop the needle on the tracks. Or should do. Maybe not on this forum.... the Black & Blue cuts are my favourites, then the club cuts - a fantastic Little Red Rooster that's different by some ways from Love You Live, and an incredible band performance. Mannish Boy sans the overdubs is less scrappy and shouty. The final trio of Luxury, Melody and Worried About You - fantastically loose but bang on target. There's some kind of bouncy electronic track going on in Luxury that has to snake dance with Keith's guitar to find its place... It does. There's no argument with the music - review based on online files. Can't wait to get an actual physical copy.

[theartsdesk.com]

Great read, now I'm really pumped!! Love Ian Stewart's shirt in the photo above.....

Date: May 11, 2022 17:24

liddas

Was thinking of inviting friends for a listening party with very loud music and lost of alcohol ... but I am not too sure that I will be able to wait for the friends to arrive!

C

Like the conversation at the end of tumbling dice:
"Ronnie is inviting you all to his room - will be tight - bring your own beer"

something like that winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-11 17:48 by DeeGee.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 11, 2022 17:39

TravelinMan
Nobody wanted Mandel yet he was specifically invited to play on the sessions? I think you need to read the interview he gave on the topic.

Richards wanted Perkins because they got along great, and Jagger wanted Mandel because he was more experimental. That’s why they were invited to the sessions. In the end, they compromised with a British guy.

Is there an interview with Mandel on his Stones auditions?

The thing is that only a few guitarists were specifically invited by Jagger (Beck, Wood), but most were invited by Ian Stewart on advise from other musicians like Eric Clapton. Apparently the Stones weren't really on the ball of great guitarists. Wyman commented that it was Clapton who advised on Mandel and Perkins, and Wyman has stated in an interview that they thought all the effects Mandel used where just gimmicks and not fitting the band.

Mathijs

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: May 11, 2022 17:44

DeeGee

sure i did it my friend!!!

the mix its a great job on this audio, i listened entirely yesterday and i can tell you it´s the greatest release in recent years!!!

Date: May 11, 2022 17:49

rogerriffin
DeeGee

sure i did it my friend!!!

the mix its a great job on this audio, i listened entirely yesterday and i can tell you it´s the greatest release in recent years!!!

Whats your top Three songs on this release?

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: May 11, 2022 18:10

There is not a top songs, all they are very good played, the band was on fire, you can listen every instrument in excellent perfonrmance.

it was a great setlist!

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: May 11, 2022 18:33

Helpful hint: record distributors got the album on Monday. And if you know the wrong people...

Spoiler alert: guess who plays piano on Worried Life!

At the Keith/ Bobby Keys birthday party after Hampton '81 show, I saw Bob Clearmountain standing next to the Saxophone cake and simply told him, "Man, you got great ears." Still true.

I'm also reminded of the Country Club Jagger-Beck mini-concert. After a handful of covers, aware of the ongoing "Stones Feud", I saw a half-chuckle when I cautiously asked Mick, "How 'bout some Cockroaches?" Next song: Miss You.

Have a great loud weekend with this fabulous release.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 11, 2022 18:33

rogerriffin
There is not a top songs, all they are very good played, the band was on fire, you can listen every instrument in excellent perfonrmance.

it was a great setlist!

Right!! Nothing to complain about for this one. Just 2 more days for me (cd for me, i think, unless store i go to has the vinyl <-- definitely possible)

Date: May 11, 2022 18:56

This is a truly, truly absolutely truly fantastic release! Spoilers now...

The sound is utterly fantastic, much drier than the previously four released tracks. The playing is FANTASTIC, nobody ever played better than this, Preston and Ollie Brown turn it into a party, and Jagger has never sung any better than on this release (in fact so good on Cracking Up that it could have been done in a studio back in the day...). They left a few of the overdubs as well, like Wood's second guitar in Cracking Up, a harmonica in Mannish Boy, and the first solo of Worried Life Blues.

I think this might be the best live release from the Stones. It even blows Ya Ya's out of the water....

Mathijs

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 11, 2022 19:01

Now I’m really excited after reading this.thumbs up

Date: May 11, 2022 19:04

Mathijs
This is a truly, truly absolutely truly fantastic release! Spoilers now...

The sound is utterly fantastic, much drier than the previously four released tracks. The playing is FANTASTIC, nobody ever played better than this, Preston and Ollie Brown turn it into a party, and Jagger has never sung any better than on this release (in fact so good on Cracking Up that it could have been done in a studio back in the day...). They left a few of the overdubs as well, like Wood's second guitar in Cracking Up, a harmonica in Mannish Boy, and the first solo of Worried Life Blues.

I think this might be the best live release from the Stones. It even blows Ya Ya's out of the water....

Mathijs

I have to agree. Bar Brussels 73, and maybe even including that, this is the best live set they'll ever release. Hard to pick a top three - a top 24 is an easier task ...

Date: May 11, 2022 19:13

MadMetaphoricalMax
I have to agree. Bar Brussels 73, and maybe even including that, this is the best live set they'll ever release. Hard to pick a top three - a top 24 is an easier task ...

Ok ok Brussels is mythical...

Top 3 is hard to pick, but on number 1 is Dance Little Sister! Stones RnR doesn't get any better than this. Why they played this one only a few times is beyond me!

Mathijs

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 11, 2022 19:15

MadMetaphoricalMax
Here's my preview piece for The Arts Desk on El Mocambo as well as SIXTY and the upcoming tour.
[theartsdesk.com]

"It's one of those discs that shows you exactly why they are the greatest rock'n'roll band the world ever will hear or see."

Spot on!

Date: May 11, 2022 19:28

Cristiano Radtke
MadMetaphoricalMax
Here's my preview piece for The Arts Desk on El Mocambo as well as SIXTY and the upcoming tour.
[theartsdesk.com]

"It's one of those discs that shows you exactly why they are the greatest rock'n'roll band the world ever will hear or see."

Spot on!

Thanks to you and others for the positive comments on the Arts Desk piece ... I did try to contact Ollie E Brown via his real estate business to see if I could talk to him about El Mocambo and the Stones, but alas, that didn't work out...
Agreed re Dance Little Sister, which is peerless...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 11, 2022 19:31

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 11, 2022 19:54

liddas

C

When I listen to it, I'm just gunna have a couple of beers. I don't want to be drunk, I just want to have a nice buzz.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 11, 2022 20:01

Mathijs
TravelinMan
Nobody wanted Mandel yet he was specifically invited to play on the sessions? I think you need to read the interview he gave on the topic.

Richards wanted Perkins because they got along great, and Jagger wanted Mandel because he was more experimental. That’s why they were invited to the sessions. In the end, they compromised with a British guy.

Is there an interview with Mandel on his Stones auditions?

The thing is that only a few guitarists were specifically invited by Jagger (Beck, Wood), but most were invited by Ian Stewart on advise from other musicians like Eric Clapton. Apparently the Stones weren't really on the ball of great guitarists. Wyman commented that it was Clapton who advised on Mandel and Perkins, and Wyman has stated in an interview that they thought all the effects Mandel used where just gimmicks and not fitting the band.

Mathijs
That's pretty wild about the effects that Mandel used were just gimmicks and not fitting the band . That is just too true not to believe about the Twins .

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1275
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home