Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 8, 2022 19:23

Keith played great, despite or maybe cause of the drugs. And anyone who doesn’t think Ronnie was a great guitarist in the 1970s should listen to these shows

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 8, 2022 19:39

Taylor1
Keith played great, despite or maybe cause of the drugs. And anyone who doesn’t think Ronnie was a great guitarist in the 1970s should listen to these shows
Yes, Ronnie played truly great, I wonder why he lost so much of that a few years later. In 1981/82 his playing was far more chaotic compared to his early years with the Stones. Maybe he just didn't care that much anymore since it was clear he was bound to stay with the guys, so he just enjoyed the rush and the party.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-08 19:40 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 8, 2022 19:57

StonedRambler
Maybe he just didn't care that much anymore since it was clear he was bound to stay with the guys

Freebasing put him down.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 8, 2022 20:12

Heard Hot Stuff last night. Man they were cooking. Bill was never funkier. As an American we never got this edition of the Stones. This is the '76 Euro Tour Stones. By the time of the short '78 tour, it was all Some Girls.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 8, 2022 20:39

It's a small win for Canada since we didn't get them in 1978.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 8, 2022 22:18

The Stones have never sounded as great without Bill. You can hear what he brought to the band on this El Mocambo release

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 8, 2022 23:02

Taylor1
The Stones have never sounded as great without Bill. You can hear what he brought to the band on this El Mocambo release
Although I'm a big fan of Darryl this release (at least the 4 songs til now) made me appreciate Bill's work much more. What really sets apart Bill is how he plays with the length of he notes - and even more important - with the breaks inbetween the notes. He always lets just enough space so that it can breathe and swing.

Date: May 9, 2022 01:11

Hampton was where you really notice it.

quote=StonedRambler]
Taylor1
Although I'm a big fan of Darryl this release (at least the 4 songs til now) made me appreciate Bill's work much more. What really sets apart Bill is how he plays with the length of he notes - and even more important - with the breaks inbetween the notes. He always lets just enough space so that it can breathe and swing.[/quote]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 9, 2022 04:50

Tumbling Dice sounds incredible. Forget the sound - listen to the band!

Posted by: erad ()
Date: May 9, 2022 07:17

Wow Wood was killing it on Hot Stuff! Funky as hell, remincesent of his Faces era playing.

A shame he would soon be relegated to a second fiddle to Richards.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 9, 2022 14:54

I must say the sound grows on me the more I listen to it. Still too modern and with too much delay and reverb, but overall its better than I thought from the first listens.

What a cooking band man on this release, frigging fantastic. This might be Wood's best ever show.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-09 15:15 by Mathijs.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 9, 2022 15:16

Mathijs
I must say the sound grows on me the more I listen to it. Still to modern and with too much delay and reverb, but overall its better than I thought from the first listens.

What a cooking band man on this release, frigging fantastic. This might be Wood's best ever show.

Mathijs

My first thought after Hot Stuff. Possibly his best show. And just listen to the third side LYL-tracks with or without overdubs.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: May 9, 2022 15:35

Personally been waiting to hear this since LYL.
I guess my bootleg of this show goes into the pile of collectibles.

Stones El Mocambo

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 9, 2022 15:46

erad
Wow Wood was killing it on Hot Stuff! Funky as hell, remincesent of his Faces era playing.

That is an interesting side topic. When and how and if (it did) the Keith/Ronnie interplay changed. To me El Mocambo is when they were at their best. Ronnie is not trying to and doesnt have to step into Taylors shoes. He is his own man, he and Keith play wonderfully off eachother. Top notch. I guess some of that bleeds into the SG sessions but I suspect Keith was in an even worse situation by that time. Despite Burden. I don’t think Ronnie is even close to that -77 magic in 1978. He has his moments in -78 and -81 for sure.

I guess their bromance was over by 1980.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 9, 2022 18:23

I concur that the more you listen to these tracks, the better it sounds. The same thing happened for me when IORR/Rip This Joint was released. The mix is kind of like the audio equivalent of HDTV. When it first came out it looked so strange, but then your eyes adjust to it and it's normal.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-09 18:24 by ryanpow.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: May 9, 2022 20:11

Looking forward to the colourful vinyl arriving.Being greedy it would have been great to have a booklet with images from the gig etc.But this is a great release,particularly when your first Stones album was Love u Live

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: May 9, 2022 22:34

Pre-sale price on Amazon (US) appears to be 29.99 for the 2CD. Seems high based on past similar 2CD releases that've been around 17.99-18.99. I'm still going to buy this one (and really it's worth every penny) just notable that it's so high.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 9, 2022 22:45

floodonthepage
Pre-sale price on Amazon (US) appears to be 29.99 for the 2CD. Seems high based on past similar 2CD releases that've been around 17.99-18.99. I'm still going to buy this one (and really it's worth every penny) just notable that it's so high.

Ebay UK has some decent prices from various sellers......... [www.ebay.co.uk] .........Might be worth trying Ebay US.....

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: May 9, 2022 23:06

Seems to be Slipcase with cutting tongue silhouette, at least the 2cd version:

Date: May 9, 2022 23:32

erad

Frankly I was more impressed by Harvey Mandel's contribution on Black and Blue- Hot Stuff- The Wah Wah guitar solos in particular; one of the most interesting solo's I ever heard during the entire Rolling Stones career.

Date: May 9, 2022 23:55

Well, he is playing live as opposed to Mandel in the studio.But I also love Mandel on Hot Stuff.Wood sounds great on this release.Compared to how he mostlyplayed in 1997-2006

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-09 23:58 by Taylor1.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: May 10, 2022 00:19

EddieByword
floodonthepage

Ebay UK has some decent prices from various sellers......... [www.ebay.co.uk] .........Might be worth trying Ebay US.....

I looked at eBay (US) as well and it was even worse. But maybe it'll drop before release day. Either way, very excited for this one!

Date: May 10, 2022 01:07

Taylor1
Well, he is playing live as opposed to Mandel in the studio.But I also love Mandel on Hot Stuff.Wood sounds great on this release.Compared to how he mostlyplayed in 1997-2006

It has not so much to do with live or studio playing. Mandel's solo on Hot Stuff is well-thought-out as opposed to Ron's solo that is more based on traditional/cliche licks, or even Mick Taylor whose solo's are based on melodic intuition and also traditional blues licks. I think Mandel's approach probably was too "intellectual" for the Stones. Maybe one of the reasons why Jagger didn't want him for the Stones. Keith: I don't know what he thought about it.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 10, 2022 01:28

floodonthepage
EddieByword
floodonthepage

I looked at eBay (US) as well and it was even worse. But maybe it'll drop before release day. Either way, very excited for this one!

Funny,I thought the same thing about the price. Then I remembered the old bootleg days when I would have gladly thrown down a hunsky for a pristine soundboard bootleg of an entire ElMocambo show…with bonus tracks! Worth the wait I guess. Friday will be fun!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 10, 2022 02:24

Just a few more days until heaven!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 10, 2022 05:49

For those that haven't yet:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-10 05:53 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 10, 2022 06:08

georgemcdonnell314
Hampton was where you really notice it.

quote=StonedRambler]
Taylor1
Although I'm a big fan of Darryl this release (at least the 4 songs til now) made me appreciate Bill's work much more. What really sets apart Bill is how he plays with the length of he notes - and even more important - with the breaks inbetween the notes. He always lets just enough space so that it can breathe and swing.
[/quote]

Another thing he does is vary what he plays each time. Some bass players just thump out the same riff over and over. Bill adds something different every time at the end.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 10, 2022 08:48

It is my grandfather's 100th birthday on friday so everything's come full circle.

We'll turn this mother up LOUD!smileys with beer

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 10, 2022 09:08

MadMax
It is my grandfather's 100th birthday on friday so everything's come full circle.

We'll turn this mother up LOUD!smileys with beer

so by "We'll turn this mother up LOUD!" i assume you mean you and your grandfather will be listening to the show together

which in my book makes your grandfather the coolest centenarian evergrinning smiley

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: May 10, 2022 09:13

The guitars on Hot Stuff sound great. Bob Clearmountain did a fantastic job bringing them out in all there glory. Clean sounding

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1535
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home