Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: May 7, 2022 17:36

It's amazing listening to this that Love You Live wasn't just this show. Might be the best Live Stones release ever

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 7, 2022 18:21

Is this the first time Worried Life played live? Keith sang it on the Barbarians tour, correct?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 7, 2022 19:49

The Stones songs played by the New Barbarians were:

Honky Tonk Women
Love In Vain (Robert Johnson)
JJF
Before They Make Me Run

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 7, 2022 20:21

DrPete
It's amazing listening to this that Love You Live wasn't just this show. Might be the best Live Stones release ever
Nope .See Brussels1973 or LA 1975 among others, but it’s a great show, top ten .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-07 20:24 by Taylor1.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 7, 2022 21:00

Taylor1
DrPete
Nope .See Brussels1973 or LA 1975 among others, but it’s a great show, top ten .

way too early to judge – we haven't even heard the whole show yet

Date: May 7, 2022 21:01

Elmo Lewis

Honky Tonk Women
JJF
Before They Make Me Run

Worried Life is not a Stones song. Performed by NB and confirmed song by Keith in ‘79. What a pleasure if he sings at El Mocambo

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 7, 2022 21:10

Finally, the much anticipated (by me) Hot Stuff from El Mocambo!

My initial comments:

Gotta say, a little disappointed in the mix. Hot Stuff is a great live track, and I really wanted to hear how having it played in a small club changed the dynamic. It sounds like it's being played in a large theatre/arena...

That being said, its a really good "arena mix", with clear separation of the instruments. I like the performance, loose but in the pocket. The effects on the rhythm guitar remind me of BOB from the 78 tour. I'm impressed by how other aspects of the song like keys and percussion are so close to the album version. It is superior to the LYL version.

TD is great, I like the slower tempo. This is perhaps the best document of how the song was played in this era.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-07 22:48 by ryanpow.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 7, 2022 22:19

DrPete
It's amazing listening to this that Love You Live wasn't just this show.

They would have slapped themselves in face by doing so.

I mean doing a whole tour of America (taping about 15 nights) then doing a whole tour of Europe (taping Paris and London) to come to the realization that a couple of hastily arranged dates in a club while the band was "cold" (minus a few days of rehearsals...) with a main guitarist who was in bad health WERE BETTER??

They couldn't not sell the fans a more or less faithful representation of 2 years of touring, even though the Mocambo coda was better.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 7, 2022 22:30

MadMax
JumpingKentFlash
I absolutely love how they’re playing. It’s killer! But what in the name of all things holy was Bob Clearmountain thinking with that mix? It sounds like it’s in a stadium. The club intimacy is nowhere to be found. What’s even worse is that in between songs you can hear it’s in a club. When the music plays it’s very different. It’s really a strange decision. I would have expected it to sound more like the LYL El Macombo side.

I agree 100%! If it's in a club it should sound like it's in a club. Don't they think it's exciting enough with the sound of the 3rd side of LYL?

Maybe some day they'll release a "stripped" version of El Mocambo to get rid of the lame "arena mix"...a shame they had to taint it like that as the performances themselves are amazing.

gotdablouse
Too bad Keith didn't bother to step in here, would certainly have been more useful than what he's been doing stalling the "new album" for a Decade + !

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-07 22:35 by Hairball.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 7, 2022 22:38

I want it to sound like Side 3!!!!!!

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: May 7, 2022 22:51

Redhotcarpet
Doxa
ProfessorWolf
Doxa
You know, it is incredible how amazing this band is at its best.. They define rock music in their own terms. Lennon once said that if rock and roll should be renamed it would be called Chuck Berry. Wrong. It is The Rolling Stones. Nothing else even close.

El Mocambo, my babe...

- Doxa

well i think i would says it's chuck berry and the rolling stones

but i agree at there best nothing comes close

Chuck Berry created the platform, the original idea. The Stones showed whatever could be done with that, without losing the touch to the origin. The Stones fulfilled the whole idea of rock and roll, by their music, by their image, by everything. The Beatlelogists, or poor old Macca, can only show excuses and tell us funny stories of 'progression' and all that 60's bla bla bla, but in the end, the Stones only bodify eternal rock and roll, like Lennon admitted. Be it good or bad. No one wants to be, if thinking about career in rock music, be any boring Paul McCartney, everyone wants to be Mick Jagger or Keith Richards. Those dudes created the whole idea what 'rock star' is all about.

- Doxa

Brother Doxa, you said it. This is, by far, their best release in decades and man oh man do they deliever. Stones 1977 is so incredibly good I can’t believe my ears. I knew it was gonna be great, this is one of the - if not the - holy grail, but this is more than expected.

The Rolling Stones defined rock n roll. Brian-era, Taylor-era and yes the -75-81 Ronnie-era. With and without all the key collaborators, influences, co-players etc they truly were number one. They made rock music roll.

"No one wants to be, if thinking about career in rock music, be any boring Paul McCartney, everyone wants to be Mick Jagger or Keith Richards. Those dudes created the whole idea what 'rock star' is all about"

- true, they really do define it. A quote I live, slightly paraphrased: "Theres a feeling that, when they do leave the stage for the last time, someone will turn out the lights and say - ladies and gentlemen, THAT (career) was rock'n'roll".

Cannot wait to hear El Mocambo in full next week. Arena sound in production, but it still sounds amazing. Hot Stuff simply cooks!

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: May 7, 2022 22:52

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-07 22:56 by IrelandCalling4.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 7, 2022 23:00

Nice to see the complainers already taking over this thread on the basis of some overly compressed low-bitrate YouTube sound files...

If it's not the setlist or general performance, it's now the sound, and of course, Mick must be responsible for this. What about Keith, isn't he a Stones member with at least some say in the final product anymore?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 7, 2022 23:20

A great version of "Tumbling Dice" indeed! Already thought that I have heard any imaginable version of the song, but then they came up with this hidden gem.

A good version of "Hot Stuff" as well.

It's going to be an amazing release.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-07 23:21 by Doxa.

Date: May 7, 2022 23:21

retired_dog
Nice to see the complainers already taking over this thread on the basis of some overly compressed low-bitrate YouTube sound files...

If it's not the setlist or general performance, it's now the sound, and of course, Mick must be responsible for this. What about Keith, isn't he a Stones member with at least some say in the final product anymore?

To be fair, it's on Spotify. eye popping smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 7, 2022 23:25

retired_dog, any chance you might be wrong? I get your point but there's some valid points here. By the way the first 2 songs I bought in HD quality from Qobuz and it's basically the same sound as the MP3's, over compressed and probably a 9 on Dynamic Range. That's less than acceptable to an audiophile. Absolutely the side on LYL is superior. Believe me when I say I'm real sorry about this because I want to be excited, after all it is the Holy Grail for us. Just like the Stripped set I'm afraid this will get one full play and nothing more. That's really upsetting.confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-07 23:25 by frankotero.

Date: May 7, 2022 23:28

frankotero
retired_dog, any chance you might be wrong? I get your point but there's some valid points here. By the way the first 2 songs I bought in HD quality from Qobuz and it's basically the same sound as the MP3's, over compressed and probably a 9 on Dynamic Range. That's less than acceptable to an audiophile. Absolutely the side on LYL is superior. Believe me when I say I'm real sorry about this because I want to be excited, after all it is the Holy Grail for us. Just like the Stripped set I'm afraid this will get one full play and nothing more. That's really upsetting.confused smiley

IMO, this is overkill. Yes, I'm a little disappointed with the Mix, but this is still going to be an excellent release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-07 23:30 by ryanpow.

Date: May 8, 2022 00:09

frankotero

Of course, just like any human being I could be wrong - I'm no infallible entity, you know! I just think that the final product will prove me right or wrong.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: May 8, 2022 00:20

frankotero

I think since around the introduction of the iPod music is made fore earbuds and therefore everything is mixed up to the max at the cost of dynamics. The masses don't listen to music for the sound, but more the feel, beats, etcetera.

Alas A Bigger Bang was the first Stones album without dynamic range and made for iPods.

Date: May 8, 2022 01:51

All the songs sound great, to my ears.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 8, 2022 02:40

frankotero

There's a cavernous sensation going on as if it was recorded in a massive deep and dark echo chamber with thousands of people vs. the intimate sensation of small room with a couple of hundred people which is where it was actually performed and recorded, and as heard on the original LYL release. Still, it will be nice to have and I'll listen to it repeatedly for at least a couple of weeks, but will always wonder why they decided to screw up the all around vibe, atmosphere, and sound quality in this way. Unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 8, 2022 03:40

And what's with the price? Amazon is currently charging $30 USD in the states. It should be under $20 at the most. Complete Blu Ray Stones concerts have cost less.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 8, 2022 09:57

It's like you can have it but not completely. The band is cooking and as long as I can put it out of my head they're not in a club it's enjoyable. Then I'm reminded it is a club between songs. This has already been said. Anyhow I'm buying it, and I hope to live long enough for the uncompressed edition. Also everything else released after Bridges To Babylon. On a positive note I can say the Dolby Atmos Goats Head Soup wows me to no end.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: May 8, 2022 10:27

Maindefender
Elmo Lewis

Honky Tonk Women
JJF
Before They Make Me Run

Worried Life is not a Stones song. Performed by NB and confirmed song by Keith in ‘79. What a pleasure if he sings at El Mocambo

Jagger sang it at the El Mocambo. It looks like Keith didn't even sing Happy on those nights.

N

Date: May 8, 2022 13:11

frankotero
It's like you can have it but not completely. The band is cooking and as long as I can put it out of my head they're not in a club it's enjoyable. Then I'm reminded it is a club between songs. This has already been said. Anyhow I'm buying it, and I hope to live long enough for the uncompressed edition. Also everything else released after Bridges To Babylon. On a positive note I can say the Dolby Atmos Goats Head Soup wows me to no end.

Appreciate your honesty frankotero. To hang with this release you must be tough tough tough tough tough tough tough. Go Bruins

Date: May 8, 2022 13:12

NeddieFlanders
Maindefender
Elmo Lewis

Honky Tonk Women
JJF
Before They Make Me Run

Jagger sang it at the El Mocambo. It looks like Keith didn't even sing Happy on those nights.

N

Thank you smileys with beer

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 8, 2022 14:26

retired_dog

Of course mate, there has to be an autopsy on the perceived failings with the mix. I find it quiter funny because we all hear slightly differently and age-related hearing loss is quite common. It is what it is at the end of the day.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 8, 2022 15:01

keefgotsoul
They’ll release El Mocambo “club mix” next month and we’ll all buy it again lol $$

Haha

TD sounds stadium...
Hot Stuff more club..

Weird mix I reckon...but they sound quite good nonetheless.

Date: May 8, 2022 16:49

NeddieFlanders
Maindefender
Elmo Lewis

Honky Tonk Women
JJF
Before They Make Me Run

N

I believe Keith did Happy at the first show.

Date: May 8, 2022 18:14

DandelionPowderman
NeddieFlanders
Maindefender
Elmo Lewis

Honky Tonk Women
JJF
Before They Make Me Run

N

I believe Keith did Happy at the first show.

If he really did, maybe he realized that he didn't feel all too happy considering the circumstances and therefore skipped it for the next show!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1957
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home