Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Date: May 6, 2022 17:06

omg that tumbling dice is the best ever. goosebumps

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: May 6, 2022 18:10

Can't stop listening to Hot Stuff. What a band!

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: May 6, 2022 18:42

Both songs sound pretty good and Charlie and Ron on Hot Stuff are just awesome and really groovy .

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 6, 2022 18:45

Doxa
ProfessorWolf
Doxa
You know, it is incredible how amazing this band is at its best.. They define rock music in their own terms. Lennon once said that if rock and roll should be renamed it would be called Chuck Berry. Wrong. It is The Rolling Stones. Nothing else even close.

El Mocambo, my babe...

- Doxa

well i think i would says it's chuck berry and the rolling stones

but i agree at there best nothing comes close

Chuck Berry created the platform, the original idea. The Stones showed whatever could be done with that, without losing the touch to the origin. The Stones fulfilled the whole idea of rock and roll, by their music, by their image, by everything. The Beatlelogists, or poor old Macca, can only show excuses and tell us funny stories of 'progression' and all that 60's bla bla bla, but in the end, the Stones only bodify eternal rock and roll, like Lennon admitted. Be it good or bad. No one wants to be, if thinking about career in rock music, be any boring Paul McCartney, everyone wants to be Mick Jagger or Keith Richards. Those dudes created the whole idea what 'rock star' is all about.

- Doxa

Brother Doxa, you said it. This is, by far, their best release in decades and man oh man do they deliever. Stones 1977 is so incredibly good I can’t believe my ears. I knew it was gonna be great, this is one of the - if not the - holy grail, but this is more than expected.

The Rolling Stones defined rock n roll. Brian-era, Taylor-era and yes the -75-81 Ronnie-era. With and without all the key collaborators, influences, co-players etc they truly were number one. They made rock music roll.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 6, 2022 18:58

Oh, bloody hell! Onboard the train home from an arduous days’ slog, wanting to listen to what everyone here is raving about; my earphone battery has died! eye rolling smiley

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 6, 2022 19:11

One week!!!

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: May 6, 2022 19:40

Big Al
Oh, bloody hell! Onboard the train home from an arduous days’ slog, wanting to listen to what everyone here is raving about; my earphone battery has died! eye rolling smiley

Musical super mess...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 6, 2022 19:53

Billy's and Olli's contributions are really essential, particularly on Hot Stuff.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: May 6, 2022 19:56

Looking forward to this dream release for years; can’t wait to hear the whole thing.
The band sounds tight and great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-06 20:51 by deardoctortake1.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: May 6, 2022 20:28

Tumbling Dice sounds awesome

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 6, 2022 21:41

I never bought Love you live. Did not like the sound 75-76. But this sounds great. Cool. Hot stuff!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 6, 2022 21:52

Bjorn
I never bought Love you live. Did not like the sound 75-76. But this sounds great. Cool. Hot stuff!

With you. The only side I really like is side 3.

Can you imagine if they had released this, instead of LYL, and we actually had a Brussels release in 73 or 74?

The Stones legacy as a live band is already great, but GYYYO, Brussels and El Mocambo would have been legendary. Hell, throw in a 1979 release of Live in Texas and the legacy would have been completely unassailable.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: May 6, 2022 21:55

Tumbling Dice was still interesting here. In 1978 they started to rush it, and never really slowed it down again. The BTB-tour was a nice exception though when it was a bit groovier again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-06 21:57 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 6, 2022 22:02

Yes, Treaclefingers. Hard to beat the heartbeat on those records. smiling smiley

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 6, 2022 22:40

yeababyyea
Tumbling Dice was still interesting here. In 1978 they started to rush it, and never really slowed it down again. The BTB-tour was a nice exception though when it was a bit groovier again.
True, but I think they rushed it before. 1973 (e.g. Brussels) is already quite fast. This El Mocambo performance was rather an exception. Most of the 1976/77 performances weren't that slow either. Also agree that the BTB versions are great, good tempo. Unfortunately guitar wise a bit sparsely compared to the El Macombo versions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-06 22:41 by StonedRambler.

Date: May 6, 2022 22:46

Also as someone who always defends Darryl I have to say Bill's bass totally kicks ass on Dice. You can feel it right in your gut and it gives this slow dragging groove so much drive.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 6, 2022 23:04

24FPS
Hairball
Irix
Maindefender

Can only hear 30 seconds, but sounds fine.

Longer preview - [Music.Apple.com] .

thumbs up

Listening to this underlines how tame, weak, and far removed their live performances have become in these latter years - happens to some of the best I suppose.
They've now become shadows for the most part...no Bill, no Charlie. And then there's a feeble Keith, with Chuck filling the void, and the backup singers dominating.
Mick is clearly their biggest strength these days, whereas in the olden days they were a well rounded team, and all were pieces of a puzzle. Even Ronnie was significant piece back then.
Looking forward to this release, and re-experiencing the way they were...back when they were truly a great rock and roll band...somehow much of that greatness disappeared around Steel Wheels...

I saw greatness in '99. The No Security Tour in Anaheim. Keith and Charlie were both on. After that it was a slow slide down.

There will always be certain elements of that old greatness, but the overall consistency of when they were firing on all cylinders as a team seems to have become a thing of the distant past.
Keith, Mick, Charlie, Bill..and even Ronnie...there was a certain synergy between them that no longer exists. Take away Bill, take away Charlie, add a bunch of filler, and it's impossible to replicate.
But there's still some magical moments and probably always will be as long as they play live...they're just fewer and far in between...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-06 23:04 by Hairball.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 6, 2022 23:10

I never liked TD off of LYL with all the overdubbed vocals.

Date: May 6, 2022 23:24

Bashlets
I never liked TD off of LYL with all the overdubbed vocals.
I always though the extra percussion were really weird and not fitting to the groove.

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: May 6, 2022 23:27

They’ll release El Mocambo “club mix” next month and we’ll all buy it again lol $$

Date: May 6, 2022 23:53

RobertJohnson
Billy's and Olli's contributions are really essential, particularly on Hot Stuff.

Love their work with the Stones. Love it. They were the frenzy of -75.

Date: May 6, 2022 23:54

stargroover
Tumbling Dice sounds awesome
Yes it does.

Posted by: Matt1984 ()
Date: May 7, 2022 02:26

Limited copies of the colour vinyl back up on the UK store. Also just noticed that it’s a die-cut slipcase. Looks to be a very nice set.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: May 7, 2022 04:36

Paul Kersey
Can't stop listening to Hot Stuff. What a band!

Just listened to it in my kitchen. Danced my ass off!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 7, 2022 09:33

I absolutely love how they’re playing. It’s killer! But what in the name of all things holy was Bob Clearmountain thinking with that mix? It sounds like it’s in a stadium. The club intimacy is nowhere to be found. What’s even worse is that in between songs you can hear it’s in a club. When the music plays it’s very different. It’s really a strange decision. I would have expected it to sound more like the LYL El Macombo side.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 7, 2022 11:23

JumpingKentFlash
I absolutely love how they’re playing. It’s killer! But what in the name of all things holy was Bob Clearmountain thinking with that mix? It sounds like it’s in a stadium. The club intimacy is nowhere to be found. What’s even worse is that in between songs you can hear it’s in a club. When the music plays it’s very different. It’s really a strange decision. I would have expected it to sound more like the LYL El Macombo side.

I agree 100%! If it's in a club it should sound like it's in a club. Don't they think it's exciting enough with the sound of the 3rd side of LYL?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 7, 2022 11:30

a couple dozen pages back someone mentioned that when asked why he mixes these shows this way clearmoutain said mick requested it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-07 11:31 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 7, 2022 11:32

Too bad Keith didn't bother to step in here, would certainly have been more useful than what he's been doing stalling the "new album" for a Decade + !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 7, 2022 14:36

Here the reply Bob Clearmountain gave me a few years ago when I asked him about the Sticky Fingers mix having so much echo (sorry that the image is so big but I don't know how to make it smaller)

Bob's a really humble and down to earth guy.

All the releases Clearmountain mixed (Havana Moon, Totally Stripped etc.) in recent years had that much echo so I guess it's clear that this is what Mick wants.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-07 14:36 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 7, 2022 17:15

Redhotcarpet
RobertJohnson

Love their work with the Stones. Love it. They were the frenzy of -75.

Billy Preston is truly a genius. You can see quite clearly in the film Let It Be how he gets the Beatles out of the impasse so that they pull themselves together once again. And he did that with his musicality alone. It's a pity that the Stones didn't work with him longer.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2078
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home