Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 6, 2022 02:32

Doxa
You know, it is incredible how amazing this band is at its best.. They define rock music in their own terms. Lennon once said that if rock and roll should be renamed it would be called Chuck Berry. Wrong. It is The Rolling Stones. Nothing else even close.

El Mocambo, my babe...

- Doxa

well i think i would says it's chuck berry and the rolling stones

but i agree at there best nothing comes close

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 6, 2022 03:08

Irix
Maindefender

Can only hear 30 seconds, but sounds fine.

Longer preview - [Music.Apple.com] .

thumbs up

Listening to this underlines how tame, weak, and far removed their live performances have become in these latter years - happens to some of the best I suppose.
They've now become shadows for the most part...no Bill, no Charlie. And then there's a feeble Keith, with Chuck filling the void, and the backup singers dominating.
Mick is clearly their biggest strength these days, whereas in the olden days they were a well rounded team, and all were pieces of a puzzle. Even Ronnie was significant piece back then.
Looking forward to this release, and re-experiencing the way they were...back when they were truly a great rock and roll band...somehow much of that greatness disappeared around Steel Wheels...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 6, 2022 03:15

ProfessorWolf
Doxa
You know, it is incredible how amazing this band is at its best.. They define rock music in their own terms. Lennon once said that if rock and roll should be renamed it would be called Chuck Berry. Wrong. It is The Rolling Stones. Nothing else even close.

El Mocambo, my babe...

- Doxa

Chuck Berry created the platform, the original idea. The Stones showed whatever could be done with that, without losing the touch to the origin. The Stones fulfilled the whole idea of rock and roll, by their music, by their image, by everything. The Beatlelogists, or poor old Macca, can only show excuses and tell us funny stories of 'progression' and all that 60's bla bla bla, but in the end, the Stones only bodify eternal rock and roll, like Lennon admitted. Be it good or bad. No one wants to be, if thinking about career in rock music, be any boring Paul McCartney, everyone wants to be Mick Jagger or Keith Richards. Those dudes created the whole idea what 'rock star' is all about.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-06 03:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: lickskeith ()
Date: May 6, 2022 03:42

[m.youtube.com]

Tumbling Dice and Hot Stuff!!!
Cant wait!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 6, 2022 04:32

Doxa
ProfessorWolf
Doxa

El Mocambo, my babe...

- Doxa

Chuck Berry created the platform, the original idea. The Stones showed whatever could be done with that, without losing the touch to the origin. The Stones fulfilled the whole idea of rock and roll, by their music, by their image, by everything. The Beatlelogists, or poor old Macca, can only show excuses and tell us funny stories of 'progression' and all that 60's bla bla bla, but in the end, the Stones only bodify eternal rock and roll, like Lennon admitted. Be it good or bad. No one wants to be, if thinking about career in rock music, be any boring Paul McCartney, everyone wants to be Mick Jagger or Keith Richards. Those dudes created the whole idea what 'rock star' is all about.

- Doxa

some of us aspire to be charlie wattswinking smiley

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: May 6, 2022 08:51

Good groove on Hot Stuff. Just one week to wait !

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 6, 2022 09:51

Hairball
Irix
Maindefender

thumbs up

Listening to this underlines how tame, weak, and far removed their live performances have become in these latter years - happens to some of the best I suppose.
They've now become shadows for the most part...no Bill, no Charlie. And then there's a feeble Keith, with Chuck filling the void, and the backup singers dominating.
Mick is clearly their biggest strength these days, whereas in the olden days they were a well rounded team, and all were pieces of a puzzle. Even Ronnie was significant piece back then.
Looking forward to this release, and re-experiencing the way they were...back when they were truly a great rock and roll band...somehow much of that greatness disappeared around Steel Wheels...
As you say though, Mick has become their biggest strength. He truly evolved to the best frontman in the world, I haven't seen any other guy being able to work a stadium crowd like him. And he can still do it for the most part. To me listening to this old drunk (and whatever drug he was on) Mick always underlines how good he became.
As for the band, I agree with you. Nowadays it's more that the band is there to back up the greatest frontman in the world. And of course it's still great to see Keith and Ronnie up there.

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: May 6, 2022 10:22

Complete tracks:

[music.youtube.com]

Date: May 6, 2022 10:30

What's great about Tumbling Dice is the tempo. They rarely play/ have played it so slow but that's exactly the dragging groove its got to have.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 6, 2022 10:34

Hairball
Irix
Maindefender

thumbs up

I saw greatness in '99. The No Security Tour in Anaheim. Keith and Charlie were both on. After that it was a slow slide down.

Date: May 6, 2022 10:36

Hot Stuff is fantastic. Some interesting new lyrics there on Tumbling Dice! grinning smiley

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: May 6, 2022 10:55

They're on Spotify now thumbs up

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 6, 2022 12:11

Fantastic new tracks, but I find the mix just horrible. It really captures nothing from small club atmosphere, it sounds just as terrible as the Earls Court 1976 soundboards. Charlie is fantastic though, as is Wood, but Jagger sounds totally coked up....

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 6, 2022 12:15

Mathijs
Jagger sounds totally coked up....

Mathijs

If you read Chet Flippo's book you'll notice MJ was particularly "animated" all thru 77.

Date: May 6, 2022 12:17

Wait til you hear what they do with Luxury...
It's a fabulous release.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 6, 2022 12:28

I’m hoping for a great LUXURY. I was 12 when the album came out and just wasn’t into that song. Now a favorite

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 6, 2022 13:15

Apple Music.

Tumbling Dice and Hot Stuff written by Keith Richards and Mick Jagger, not Jagger/Richards.

Rod

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 6, 2022 13:46

Mathijs
Fantastic new tracks, but I find the mix just horrible. It really captures nothing from small club atmosphere, it sounds just as terrible as the Earls Court 1976 soundboards. Charlie is fantastic though, as is Wood, but Jagger sounds totally coked up....

Mathijs

So I listened to April Wine and Elvis Costello (‘78) El Mocambo and sound is similar. Could be the club? I’m glad there is interaction between songs to get the essence of a club. Very happy with the four released songs. Could be one of Ronnie’s shining moments best Hot Stuff Jagger even has a Fingerprint File moment hot smiley

Date: May 6, 2022 13:55

No, it's just the way Mick wants these mixes to sound. I wrote an email to Bob Clearmountain a while ago because I thought SF live was sounding way too echoey and wanted to know why and he kindly answered that he agrees but that Mick wanted it so sound that way. You can still find the email here on this board but I'm just too lazy to search right now.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 6, 2022 15:11

bitusa2012
Apple Music.

Tumbling Dice and Hot Stuff written by Keith Richards and Mick Jagger, not Jagger/Richards.

Thats how it is on the original Love You Live LP too (or rather 'Richard/Jagger', as Keith didn't go back to his original surname until the following year)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 6, 2022 15:12

Two superb performances. 'Hot Stuff' - a song I always thought had potential to be special - is amazing. Can't wait for the full album release now.

Date: May 6, 2022 15:16

Gazza
Two superb performances. 'Hot Stuff' - a song I always thought had potential to be special - is amazing. Can't wait for the full album release now.

The Stones at their funkiest. Brilliant stuff thumbs up

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 6, 2022 15:35

It could be my (poor boys) sound system, but Hot Stuff sounds great to me.
Can hear every single note by every single instrument. Lots of space.
Maybe it's not everybody's taste, but it's mighty mighty fine by my standards.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 6, 2022 16:08

Ronnie's guitar sound is a bit tweaked (especially on Hot Stuff). I wish they didn't feel the need to "fix" these releases and add a bunch of delay. Not everything has to sound like it was recorded yesterday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-06 16:09 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: May 6, 2022 16:11

TheBlockbuster
Ronnie's guitar sound is a bit tweaked (especially on Hot Stuff). I wish they didn't feel the need to "fix" these releases and add a bunch of delay. Not everything has to sound like it was recorded yesterday.

He had that delay on that tour.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 6, 2022 16:14

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster

He had that delay on that tour.

Yea but it's sounds more aggressive/distorted compared to the bootleg. Don't know if they are adding plug-ins or just doing smaller adjustments to make it sound sharper and fresher.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: May 6, 2022 16:14

TheBlockbuster

The problem with the sound on these releases is that the final say is made by a 78 year old who's been on stage for 60 years. How's his hearing ? I'm 56 and all my upper frequencies are accompanied by the permanent hiss of tinnitus .

sc uk

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 6, 2022 16:27

straycatuk
TheBlockbuster

The problem with the sound on these releases is that the final say is made by a 78 year old who's been on stage for 60 years. How's his hearing ? I'm 56 and all my upper frequencies are accompanied by the permanent hiss of tinnitus .

sc uk

…sorry, what was that?

Rod

Date: May 6, 2022 16:28

Bob Clearmountain is adding a stereo slap back delay on every Rolling Stones live mix for years. Mick wants that.
He even got his own plugin nowadays with a "Rolling Stones live" preset that does just that.
He shows it here at 1:35:
[youtu.be]

I could live with less delay and reverb but I don't really care, I think this mix sounds still phenomenal. So much better than all the Sam Wheat mixes we got on recent releases. I wish Bob would mix all the Stones releases again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-06 16:37 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: May 6, 2022 16:59

IORR and Rip This Joint El Mocambo single is on spotify

[open.spotify.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home