Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 5, 2022 15:05

TheGreek
A point that we must remember is that Daryl Jones does not have a free reign to interpret the bass lines as he does answer and report to a supervisor ( Mick )who tells him what is expected of him in how he holds up the bottom . The Stones are not an improvisational outfit .

That's actually not true. Jones has said in an interview that he is totally free to play whatever he wants. He once copied Wyman note for note on Respectable I believe and he was told not to do that.

I think Jones was the worst choice for the Stones, I dislike just about everything in his playing. Funny thing though that I rehearsed with a conservatory bass player the other week. He said that Jones is his absolute favorite player as his choice of notes and spacing is mind boggling. So go figure.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-05 15:32 by Mathijs.

Date: April 5, 2022 15:14

I think that Jones is the right guy in the wrong place.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 5, 2022 16:44

Actually, Bill did something like 22 studio albums and Darryl has done 2 full albums ,Voodoo Lounge and A Bigger Bang.He playedon only a couple of songs on Bridges.Since Bill left the band has done 3 albums of new material.So Bill played on almost 90 percent of Stones albums.With Darryl they’ve done a lot of live oldies shows

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: April 5, 2022 17:13

Taylor1
Actually, Bill did something like 22 studio albums and Darryl has done 2 full albums ,Voodoo Lounge and A Bigger Bang.He playedon only a couple of songs on Bridges.Since Bill left the band has done 3 albums of new material.So Bill played on almost 90 percent of Stones albums.With Darryl they’ve done a lot of live oldies shows

Good review, fortunately Darryl has the carisma and good play needed to set into the Stones!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 5, 2022 18:34

Mathijs
TheGreek
A point that we must remember is that Daryl Jones does not have a free reign to interpret the bass lines as he does answer and report to a supervisor ( Mick )who tells him what is expected of him in how he holds up the bottom . The Stones are not an improvisational outfit .

That's actually not true. Jones has said in an interview that he is totally free to play whatever he wants. He once copied Wyman note for note on Respectable I believe and he was told not to do that.

I think Jones was the worst choice for the Stones, I dislike just about everything in his playing. Funny thing though that I rehearsed with a conservatory bass player the other week. He said that Jones is his absolute favorite player as his choice of notes and spacing is mind boggling. So go figure.

Mathijs
I stand corrected ! I am not perfect and make mistakes as I am human . Funny the only time you take time to respond is when I MAKE A MISTAKE . Thank You Kindly !

Date: April 5, 2022 18:36

rogerriffin
Taylor1

Good review, fortunately Darryl has the carisma and good play needed to set into the Stones!

Fitting in and playing nice in the big sand box with the Stones is a must .

Date: April 5, 2022 19:35

TheGreek

I stand corrected ! I am not perfect and make mistakes as I am human . Funny the only time you take time to respond is when I MAKE A MISTAKE . Thank You Kindly !

Apologies, I absolutely have no intention to do that.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-05 19:35 by Mathijs.

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: April 5, 2022 19:37

Mathijs
TheGreek

Mathijs

jones has to obey keith, otherwise....

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: April 5, 2022 20:01

Please Mathijs, TheGreek and anyone - use a whatsapp group or whatever. But do not hijack this thread. This is about El Mocambo but not a bass OT discussion. Thanks.

A decent deal is 22,99 for 2 CDs
[www.jpc.de]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 5, 2022 21:08

Munichhilton
24FPS
Yes, Darryl lacks something. Maybe he quit playing like Bill after Voodoo Lounge, but what did he replace it with? A meandering, emotionless playing that does nothing to enhance the sound. Bill wasn't afraid to assert his playing and could lead the band, or gather it when it was wobbling too far.

I can think of Bill bass lines that are absolutely essential, and memorable. Satisfaction, Under My Thumb, Miss You, Harlem Shuffle as examples. His live playing on Live With Me and Long Black Limousine really stand out. I can't think of one Stones song in 30 years where Darryl adds one note of emotion to a song. One note of humor.

Sure, Bill's been gone for half of the Stones' career. But what does Darryl's magnificent, unprecedented genius jazz playing add up to on Stones records, or live? Zilch. And the overwhelming amount of songs on the Stones setlist are ones Bill created the bass line.

Although I’m not certain, I think you may have only one ear and two noses…
Both are great bass players…incredibly so. Listen harder to the second half of life…

Is 'one ear and two noses' a real burn of a saying somewhere on the planet? I've never heard it, and what does it mean? 'Second half of life'. What does that mean? Life what? Where? Is that a song, an album? I don't know if Bill and Darryl are both great bass players. I know Bill is a great rock and blues bassist. Darryl is not. And I've heard both on record and live.

Darryl might be a great jazz bassist, though I've never heard such. Maybe Bill isn't a great jazz player, though he's not bad on Terrifying off Steel Wheels. And he's great away from the Stone with Muddy/Buddy Guy/Junior Wells at Montreaux 1974. He doesn't sound at all like he does with the Stones. He could adapt to the music. Which makes me sad at the end of The Quiet One he gets all emotional recounting when Ray Charles wanted him to play on his next album and Bill said he wasn't good enough. Of course he was. Ray Charles heard it and wanted him, period.

I don't really know what Mick, or Keith, think they accomplish be having Darryl not play the bass lines the way the song was created. They do. They mimic their vocal and guitar parts as close as they can. Jordan respects Charlie's parts. Maybe they're like little kids, still pissed that Bill walked away. Maybe they don't like being reminded of his greatness. A greatness you'll be able to hear soon............on the upcoming El Mocambo release!

Date: April 5, 2022 21:24

24FPS - you are OT, my friend. This is El Mocambo, Darryl was never and will never be part of it. Please stop it.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 5, 2022 21:50

Mathijs

Jones has said in an interview that he is totally free to play whatever he wants. He once copied Wyman note for note on Respectable I believe and he was told not to do that.

In that case he is not free to play whatever he wants... (the poor dude used his freedom and wanted to play like Wyman...)

I might understand the idea, but still it is funny think that one can play whatever he wants in a Stones tune, but not like how the original part goes...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-05 21:52 by Doxa.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 5, 2022 21:57

Not sure if it’s appropriate to post this here. It’s about the El Mocambo. winking smiley

[youtu.be]

(Apologies if already posted.)

Date: April 5, 2022 22:08

How about answering a questionnaire on the upcoming release LATEM - instead of more Jones?

1) What track from LATEM are you most looking forward too?
2) LATEM Vinyl or CD or stream?
3) Do you like the slipmat?
4) How do you like the design?

Date: April 5, 2022 22:11

schwonek
How about answering a questionnaire on the upcoming release LATEM - instead of more Jones?

Great idea. Thanks. I will start
1) Melody, for sure. And Honky Tonk Woman - starting an intimate show, people going nuts seeing the stones, this will be interesting.
2) CD for now, have to hear the entire mix first
3) Yes but wont buy it
4) I was expecting sth totally different, more LYL, but I like it. Fresh somehow.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 5, 2022 22:18

Taylor1

Other than playing loads of oldies/nostalgia shows, Darryl hasn't really added much at all when you consider all of that.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 5, 2022 22:28

schwonek

I don't know what 'slipmat' means, but I think quite many of us have answered to the other questions in this thread already. We need more questions, like:

(5) If Darryl really was Charlie's choice, what we should think about Charlie's judgment. And how that affects to Charlie's legacy?

Okay, okay, just kidding.grinning smiley You are absolutely right about the purpose of this thread (although the great tradition of IORR is threads going OT, and some of the best discussions ever here have been born like that).

But yeah, back to El Mocambo...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-05 22:32 by Doxa.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 5, 2022 22:36

SomeTorontoGirl
Not sure if it’s appropriate to post this here. It’s about the El Mocambo. winking smiley

[youtu.be]

(Apologies if already posted.)

Sorry, this has turned into the Bill vs. Darryl thread, so no, that is not appropriate! winking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 5, 2022 23:15

schwonek
24FPS - you are OT, my friend. This is El Mocambo, Darryl was never and will never be part of it. Please stop it.

You didn't stay for my last sentence? 'A greatness you'll be able to hear soon............on the upcoming El Mocambo release!'

Date: April 5, 2022 23:18

24FPS
You didn't stay for my last sentence?

Come on, dude. Really? Writing 95% OT is still OT. Back to Mocambo, please.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 6, 2022 19:25

I am curious....I have a few coloured vinyl's, but I've never opened any of them. Do they sound as good as the black vinyl's? Do they hold up over time?

Date: April 6, 2022 19:47

schwonek
Please Mathijs, TheGreek and anyone - use a whatsapp group or whatever. But do not hijack this thread. This is about El Mocambo but not a bass OT discussion. Thanks.

A decent deal is 22,99 for 2 CDs
[www.jpc.de]

It happens that when there's not much left to be said after 35 pages people turn to a different subject.

Mathijs

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 6, 2022 22:25

VoodooLounge13

I am curious....I have a few coloured vinyl's, but I've never opened any of them. Do they sound as good as the black vinyl's? Do they hold up over time?

See here - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 6, 2022 22:35

Meow

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-07 03:56 by ryanpow.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 6, 2022 22:58

Irix
VoodooLounge13

See here - [iorr.org] .

Thanks for this Irix!!

Date: April 7, 2022 13:17

ryanpow
Meow
purrrrrrrrrrrr

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: April 7, 2022 16:08

TheGreek
Mathijs
TheGreek

Mathijs

I’ve called him out a few times. He’s not as Mr Know It All. He will make things up when you prove him wrong. Every time I see a post by him I think to myself here we go with the bull again.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 7, 2022 16:45

Cooltoplady
TheGreek
Mathijs
TheGreek

Mathijs

I’ve called him out a few times. He’s not as Mr Know It All. He will make things up when you prove him wrong. Every time I see a post by him I think to myself here we go with the bull again.

He has good knowledge in certain things like guitar playing and gear, but is surely not the Mr Know It All he sometimes like to come across. I've once had a lengthy discussion here about public domain releases and copyright aspects and despite all the facts I offerered he insisted that I was wrong more or less because he just felt I was wrong - without any facts, not to speak of facts with any legal substance. In the end, he just asked me to stop the discussion what I found, eh, a bit strange to say the least.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-07 20:16 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 7, 2022 16:56

As fonzie would say...whooaaa!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 7, 2022 22:01

Eleanor Rigby
As fonzie would say...whooaaa!

I thought he said aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home