Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Date: March 30, 2022 12:51

I wonder if these boogies are collector's items or still in use a lot. Any guitarists over here?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-30 13:09 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 30, 2022 13:58

Mathijs
Great pics! First time I see the 10-band EQ from MXR on top of Keith's Boogie amp.

Mathijs
Sharp eyes how you spotted that along with the assorted clutter . You certainly know your stuff .

Date: March 30, 2022 13:59

TheflyingDutchman
I wonder if these boogies are collector's items or still in use a lot. Any guitarists over here?
I know a guy that I grew up with that has a Boogie MK 1 and still uses it to this day . This is a great amp .

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 30, 2022 16:52

saintmick
It's called HEAVEN

No, that was not played.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 30, 2022 17:07

TheflyingDutchman

Yes they are, but to be honest that's for a large part due to Santana and Metallica. Santana used a Boogie MK1 for his best albums, and many people seek out his tone. Metallica used a Boogie IIC+ for their most famous work, and these amps are almost impossible to find. So people use MK1's and MKIIB's to simulate that tone.

The most sought after Boogie's are the ones with the complete package: hardwood cabinet with wicker cane, Altec Lansing AlNiCo speaker, 60/100 watt simulclass, international power supply, reverb and the 5-band EQ. These go for around $4000, but incredibly difficult to find as only about 300 were made with the full package.

My Boogie MK1 has the full package, but with black covering, not hardwood. It's four numbers away from Keith's, and part of a batch ordered by the Stones and manufactured in February 1977. Eight of them went to the Stones, 1 to Andy Summers of the Police, and one to a Munich rental company, much like S.I.R. The latter is the one I bought about 10 years ago.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-30 17:28 by Mathijs.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 30, 2022 17:09

great photos by Ken Regan!

Date: March 30, 2022 17:18

I'd sure like to have that poster Keith is autographing.

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: March 30, 2022 17:41

this page 31, second ken regan-photo (nr. 172073404) ...
ian stewart is wearing a mocambo-t-shirt with printing "cockroaches 1977",
i want to buy that one :-)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 30, 2022 17:55

thomashanck

Yeah, that palm tree should have made it on the album cover

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 30, 2022 19:46

mnewman505

Oh the a-hole on the left with a fag in his mouth trying to look blase and cool...
eye rolling smiley grinning smiley

Date: March 30, 2022 19:49

Mathijs

My Boogie MK1 has the full package, but with black covering, not hardwood. It's four numbers away from Keith's, and part of a batch ordered by the Stones and manufactured in February 1977. Eight of them went to the Stones
Mathijs

Didn't they record SG with them?
Didn't Randall Smith have a rather hard time gtting paid for his work?
(I'm quoting you from memory Mathijs).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 30, 2022 20:16

Lookwise Keith wasn't probably at his most elegant (even in his own blessed wasted terms) in El Mocambo, but let's say it wasn't either Mick's best moment lookwise.... That damn white overalls, and I think Mick's over-all habitus showed some signs of the lived life, even with some extra fat in his face, as unbelievable as it is (now or usually) to think... (probably Jerry was right at the time that the dude needed to clean his act, something Mick seemingly did).

Probably the legendary El Mocambo gigs and 1977 over-all was the last stop of the hedonistic, druggie life style the band was used during the decadent 70's. It started to catch them in many ways (not just creatively). It wasn't just Keith.

But oh boy, they played mighty mighty fine....

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-30 20:26 by Doxa.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: March 30, 2022 20:18

Did Keith played the Musicman Silhouette already in 1977 (first picture on this page)?

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: March 30, 2022 20:19

dcba
mnewman505

Oh the a-hole on the left with a fag in his mouth trying to look blase and cool...

He was there to see April Wine. winking smiley

Date: March 30, 2022 21:02

dcba
Mathijs

My Boogie MK1 has the full package, but with black covering, not hardwood. It's four numbers away from Keith's, and part of a batch ordered by the Stones and manufactured in February 1977. Eight of them went to the Stones
Mathijs

Didn't they record SG with them?
Didn't Randall Smith have a rather hard time gtting paid for his work?
(I'm quoting you from memory Mathijs).
As far as I know Smith was never paid and thus it was gratis .

Posted by: Harry ()
Date: March 30, 2022 21:16

thomashanck

[therollingstonesshop.co.uk]

not the same but close

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-30 21:21 by Harry.

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: March 30, 2022 21:23

thanks harry,

well possibly i will give it a try ...

Date: March 30, 2022 22:06

NashvilleBlues
dcba
mnewman505

Or is it Lou Reed incognito, dressed like a college boy and fuming with jealousy?

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 30, 2022 22:17

GasLightStreet
24FPS
Testify
Bill in the last years of his militancy in the Stones, was often absent and disinterested, so much so that very often he was replaced by Ronnie or Keith. So it wasn't Bill waiting for Keith outside the bathroom, but the other Stones waiting for Bill.

I don't know where you get that impression. Most accounts of studio time with the Stones have Bill and Charlie arriving first, and then waiting. And waiting. The only time they had to kowtow to Bill was when he told them he was leaving. He's not on two or three throw away songs on Steel Wheels, probably because he was getting married. But excepting Continental Drift, he's on all the songs that matter. Bill always made the best songs better.

Harlem Shuffle is the best thing on Dirty Work, and it's a great Bill song. Ronnie had one good bass part playing bass for the Stones, Emotional Rescue.

And he's great on El Mocambo. His playing often brings a sense of humor to songs. Try doing that with a bass.

The tracks without Wyman were done when he was off dealing with his future marital disaster's health issues.
Bill has been missing on many songs even on Emotional Rescue and also on many songs from 70s albums.
However, I'm not accusing Bill of anything, I'm just saying he wasn't the saint that many paint. Bill is the only Stones who has often been assende, there must be a reason! Charlie has always been on all tracks except IORR which was recorded at Ronnie's house and Charlie wasn't there, like no other Stones but Mick.

Date: March 30, 2022 22:20

Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman

Yes they are, but to be honest that's for a large part due to Santana and Metallica. Santana used a Boogie MK1 for his best albums, and many people seek out his tone. Metallica used a Boogie IIC+ for their most famous work, and these amps are almost impossible to find. So people use MK1's and MKIIB's to simulate that tone.

The most sought after Boogie's are the ones with the complete package: hardwood cabinet with wicker cane, Altec Lansing AlNiCo speaker, 60/100 watt simulclass, international power supply, reverb and the 5-band EQ. These go for around $4000, but incredibly difficult to find as only about 300 were made with the full package.

My Boogie MK1 has the full package, but with black covering, not hardwood. It's four numbers away from Keith's, and part of a batch ordered by the Stones and manufactured in February 1977. Eight of them went to the Stones, 1 to Andy Summers of the Police, and one to a Munich rental company, much like S.I.R. The latter is the one I bought about 10 years ago.

Mathijs

thumbs up

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: March 30, 2022 22:25

Wow, i dont think ive ever seen Charlie use a black dot drum head on the snare before.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 30, 2022 22:52

Testify
GasLightStreet
24FPS
Testify
Bill in the last years of his militancy in the Stones, was often absent and disinterested, so much so that very often he was replaced by Ronnie or Keith. So it wasn't Bill waiting for Keith outside the bathroom, but the other Stones waiting for Bill.

I don't know where you get that impression. Most accounts of studio time with the Stones have Bill and Charlie arriving first, and then waiting. And waiting. The only time they had to kowtow to Bill was when he told them he was leaving. He's not on two or three throw away songs on Steel Wheels, probably because he was getting married. But excepting Continental Drift, he's on all the songs that matter. Bill always made the best songs better.

Harlem Shuffle is the best thing on Dirty Work, and it's a great Bill song. Ronnie had one good bass part playing bass for the Stones, Emotional Rescue.

And he's great on El Mocambo. His playing often brings a sense of humor to songs. Try doing that with a bass.

The tracks without Wyman were done when he was off dealing with his future marital disaster's health issues.
Bill has been missing on many songs even on Emotional Rescue and also on many songs from 70s albums.
However, I'm not accusing Bill of anything, I'm just saying he wasn't the saint that many paint. Bill is the only Stones who has often been assende, there must be a reason! Charlie has always been on all tracks except IORR which was recorded at Ronnie's house and Charlie wasn't there, like no other Stones but Mick.

No one said he was a saint. But he was a professional. Never missed a gig with the Stones. Never endangered the group by his arrests. (Pissing on a service station wall didn't stop anything). How about 'Heaven', where it's only him, and the two Micks? Or 'Moonlight Mile' where Keith doesn't participate? Except for maybe 'SFTD', I can't think of a Stones song Bill might have not been able to play on as good, or better. And no Charlie wasn't on all tracks. Ever heard of You Can't Always Good What You Want? Jimmy Miller. 'I Just Want To See His Face'. 'Shine A Light' - Jimmy Miller. 'Happy' - Jimmy Miller.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 31, 2022 01:30

24FPS
No one said he was a saint. But he was a professional. Never missed a gig with the Stones. Never endangered the group by his arrests. (Pissing on a service station wall didn't stop anything)...

Arrests and pissing etc. are what makes the Stones the Stones. Its certainly the music but also the attitude, atmosphere, antagonistic, etc. that builds legends! Reading about those stories when I was a young'n is what got me hooked for life.

God bless the Stones!

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: March 31, 2022 03:03

Sold out at Universal Music Mexico store

[umusicstore.com.mx]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 31, 2022 03:09

NashvilleBlues
dcba
mnewman505

By the look of things, that appears to be 'the critics section'

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 31, 2022 03:58

Doxa
Lookwise Keith wasn't probably at his most elegant (even in his own blessed wasted terms) in El Mocambo, but let's say it wasn't either Mick's best moment lookwise.... That damn white overalls, and I think Mick's over-all habitus showed some signs of the lived life, even with some extra fat in his face, as unbelievable as it is (now or usually) to think... (probably Jerry was right at the time that the dude needed to clean his act, something Mick seemingly did).

Probably the legendary El Mocambo gigs and 1977 over-all was the last stop of the hedonistic, druggie life style the band was used during the decadent 70's. It started to catch them in many ways (not just creatively). It wasn't just Keith.

But oh boy, they played mighty mighty fine....

- Doxa
Extra fat on Mick’s face? Where?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 31, 2022 04:50

24FPS
Testify
GasLightStreet
24FPS
Testify

No one said he was a saint. But he was a professional. Never missed a gig with the Stones. Never endangered the group by his arrests. (Pissing on a service station wall didn't stop anything). How about 'Heaven', where it's only him, and the two Micks? Or 'Moonlight Mile' where Keith doesn't participate? Except for maybe 'SFTD', I can't think of a Stones song Bill might have not been able to play on as good, or better. And no Charlie wasn't on all tracks. Ever heard of You Can't Always Good What You Want? Jimmy Miller. 'I Just Want To See His Face'. 'Shine A Light' - Jimmy Miller. 'Happy' - Jimmy Miller.

Heaven was recorded during the 1979 EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions. Charlie, Mick, Bill and Chris.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 31, 2022 06:51

GasLightStreet
24FPS
Testify
GasLightStreet
24FPS
Testify

Heaven was recorded during the 1979 EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions. Charlie, Mick, Bill and Chris.

That's right. I got it mixed up with all the Keith absences. Bill played guitar, bass, and synthesizer.

Date: March 31, 2022 08:20

Testify
GasLightStreet
24FPS
Testify

Charlie was not on YCAGWYW, Shine A Light, Happy and the last half of Tumbling Dice.

There are lots of tracks where Bill didn't play tha bass, in the 60s, 70s and 80s - for different reasons.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-31 11:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: mike567 ()
Date: March 31, 2022 10:56

MartinB
Did Keith played the Musicman Silhouette already in 1977 (first picture on this page)?

I think that's a Gibson S-1

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home