Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo is released
Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: March 27, 2022 22:52

24FPS
LeonidP
24FPS
LeonidP
24FPS
jackflash27
A little off topic, but I after reading a bit about the background story of the El Mocamba club show, a question came up.

The Stones came to Toronto in February 1977 for the Toronto club show and reserved some time for rehearsals. Keith was arrested in his hotel room on February 27th, 1977, for possession of a serious amount of heroin (and intent to traffic) and some cocaine. He was released on bail (I assume the same day), so he returned to the hotel.

The El Mocambo shows where on 4th and 5th of March. So practically Keith had 4 or 5 days to sober up and do the first show. So my question is: did Keith get clean in this short period (cold turkey)? It seems unlikely to me, because I can't imagine that 'after three days of climbing walls' someone is able to stand on his feet normally, not to say perform a show. I know, we're talking about Keith Richards, not a good example what is 'normal', but anyway it's still pretty impressing.

More likely would be that he was still into heroin the week after the bust. But if that's the case, didn't he take a huge risk of getting caught again and face years and years in prison?

Really curious how he got in shape for the El Mocamba shows. Does anyone have information about his condition on stage during those shows (probably not too bad, regarding the good reviews of the two nights)?

According to Bill Wyman he went out and copped some junk for Keith. So....there's that.

Actually that was according to Keith, from his book Life. Wyman may have confirmed the story later though...

Actually that was first reported in Bill's book, 'Rolling With the Stones' published 2002.

You're probably right, I never read that one. First I ever heard that story was from the Keith book, don't recall anyone ever bringing that up before, not on this msg. board. Hence why I thought Keith was the first reveal.

I remember reading it and feeling it was a bit of betrayal on Bill's part. Maybe that was something that should have been kept private between Bill and Keith. And I thought it could have created ill feelings between the two. It doesn't appear so, and as you noted, Keith did mention it in his later book.

Thanks all for these insights. I read both books and now I indeed remember reading Bill scoring some smack for his bandmate. Classic rock ‘n roll story!

Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 27, 2022 22:58

24FPS

According to Bill Wyman he went out and copped some junk for Keith. So....there's that.

There's always a good side to not looking like a rock star... winking smiley
Joke aside it took some genuine courage from Bill to go score as the hotels the band members were staying at were crawling with plain-clothes cops, probably eager to add another one to their head count.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 28, 2022 07:20

dcba
24FPS

Joke aside it took some genuine courage from Bill to go score as the hotels the band members were staying at were crawling with plain-clothes cops, probably eager to add another one to their head count.

Yeah, I thought about that too. I think Bill is the only Stone never to do smack. He managed to avoid most hard drugs around the band. Think of all the inconvenience over the years it caused him waiting for Keith to show up, or come out of the bathroom. Don't know if he copped the junk to help his friend Keith, or for Bill's band, the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: March 28, 2022 16:09

For the fans living in Belgium, Black vinyl for only €29,69

[www.fr.fnac.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-28 16:12 by Lien.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: March 28, 2022 16:45

I listened to It's Only Rock'n Roll and Rip This Joint. Great!
Bill is very present and one can hear and realize his contribution very well. His playing was swinging, rolling, warm and creative.
I'm looking real forward to this release! When LYL was released, I just turned 14 and I still have my Vinyl from 77.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-28 16:46 by micha063.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 28, 2022 17:29

24FPS
dcba
24FPS

Yeah, I thought about that too. I think Bill is the only Stone never to do smack. He managed to avoid most hard drugs around the band. Think of all the inconvenience over the years it caused him waiting for Keith to show up, or come out of the bathroom. Don't know if he copped the junk to help his friend Keith, or for Bill's band, the Rolling Stones.

He liked 13 year old girls instead

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: March 28, 2022 18:26

Lien
For the fans living in Belgium, Black vinyl for only €29,69

[www.fr.fnac.be]

It's 79,19 right now? Maybe it was a mistake and they corrected it quickly,

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: March 28, 2022 18:29

According to this site (and Google translate) the Japan version gets 3 bonustracks from the 4th show. But I am really curious if it are different tracks than Luxury, Melody and Worried about you which are the bonus on the normal version. The site doesn't mention which songs are Japan exclusive

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 28, 2022 18:55

Maybe it'll be "March.4 only" tracks?

Acc. to Nico the setlist from the 1st night was much longer than the 2nd's.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 28, 2022 18:55

Mabru
According to this site (and Google translate) the Japan version gets 3 bonustracks from the 4th show. But I am really curious if it are different tracks than Luxury, Melody and Worried about you which are the bonus on the normal version. The site doesn't mention which songs are Japan exclusive

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

From their description:

"In addition to the entire March 5 show, three bonus tracks from the March 4 show added."

It's not very clear, but to me it's the very same tracks you've mentioned.

Posted by: jason8903 ()
Date: March 28, 2022 18:57

Does anyone have an offical set set from the March 4th show.

Date: March 28, 2022 19:10

Cooltoplady
24FPS
dcba
24FPS

Before you cast the first STONE, remember, there might be others in the group with the same prediliction. 'I hear the click clack of yo' feet on the stairs...'

Date: March 28, 2022 20:03

24FPS
Cooltoplady
24FPS
dcba
24FPS

Before you cast the first STONE, remember, there might be others in the group with the same prediliction. 'I hear the click clack of yo' feet on the stairs...'

Don’t use words that you can not spell

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 28, 2022 22:09

24FPS
Cooltoplady
24FPS
dcba
24FPS

Well I remember it caused a scandal at the time and the other Stones looked a little embarrassed.
I am not aware that the others in the band have ever had similar behavior.
However, I do not judge anyone, nor those who have used drugs in his life, nor those who have behaved on the verge of decency.
This is just to say that Bill wasn't a saint either.
Among other things, Bill in the last years of his militancy in the Stones, was often absent and disinterested, so much so that very often he was replaced by Ronnie or Keith. So it wasn't Bill waiting for Keith outside the bathroom, but the other Stones waiting for Bill.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 28, 2022 23:31

"Absent and disinterested"? Maybe he didn't like working late night, early morning, shifts (Keith time)? Keith ran the show, Jagger showed up between his solo work.
The Biff @#$%& trio ruled. Wyman wasn't part of that.

Date: March 28, 2022 23:33

I guess this is the best re-issue so far. The lazy sleeve art work spoils it a bit though. Another tongue...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 28, 2022 23:44

Stoneage
lazy sleeve art work... Another tongue...

agree

Date: March 29, 2022 00:26

Cooltoplady
24FPS
Cooltoplady
24FPS
dcba
24FPS

Do you know what a contraction is? The common usage is cannot, not can not.

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: March 29, 2022 00:30

Now we know where Keef got his habit of climbing Coconut trees.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: March 29, 2022 00:47

dcba
Maybe it'll be "March.4 only" tracks?

Acc. to Nico the setlist from the 1st night was much longer than the 2nd's.

I think you have it mixed up. The first night was shorter and the second night was longer. 15 songs the first night and 20 songs the second night.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: March 29, 2022 00:50

jason8903
Does anyone have an offical set set from the March 4th show.

Not official but probably very close to what was played in this order:

Route 66
Honky Tonk Women
Hand Of Fate
Fool To Cry
Crazy Mama
Crackin' Up
Around and Around
Melody
Star Star
Worried About You
Let's Spend The Night Together
Little Red Rooster
Luxury
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash

Date: March 29, 2022 01:25

24FPS
Cooltoplady
24FPS
Cooltoplady
24FPS
dcba
24FPS

prediliction.....try again. Do I have to spell it out for you. Geeeez.

Date: March 29, 2022 01:32

That neon sign palm tree would have been the perfect sleeve design.

Posted by: heart34 ()
Date: March 29, 2022 01:35

In France, at the moment, it is not possible to order the vinyl color neon edition, on any site, including fnac, amazon.fr, cultura, etc.
Is it impossible to order this item from France (and from a French site, I mean)?
Thanks if someone has got some information. However see you in Lyon and Paris!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 29, 2022 01:55

DandelionPowderman
DrPete
Of the tracks now available on bootleg, which are from the 4th?

Worried About You

We dont know yet until we can compare the soundboard with the upcoming release. WAY wasnt played on 5th March it seems, so the bootlegged version is therefore definitely from the 4th. The previous assumption that all the circulating tracks (on both the soundboard and LYL) are from 5th March is incorrect, although its probably safe to say that most of them are. The band intro from LYL is definitely from March 5th anyway!

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 29, 2022 01:56

Stoneage
That neon sign palm tree would have been the perfect sleeve design.

It would have been but the Stones have put zero effort in the cover sleeve since Dirty Work with which I LOVE the cover.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 29, 2022 02:20

Stoneage
"Absent and disinterested"? Maybe he didn't like working late night, early morning, shifts (Keith time)? Keith ran the show, Jagger showed up between his solo work.
The Biff @#$%& trio ruled. Wyman wasn't part of that.

Are they playing rock 'n' roll? ... or Candyland?

Date: March 29, 2022 03:14

Cooltoplady
24FPS
Cooltoplady
24FPS
Cooltoplady
24FPS
dcba
24FPS

prediliction.....try again. Do I have to spell it out for you. Geeeez.

Oh, I got it. Didn't think it was important enough to correct. But since you were being a pedant, I thought I'd correct your contractions. Geeeez.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: March 29, 2022 11:37

Gazza
DandelionPowderman
DrPete
Of the tracks now available on bootleg, which are from the 4th?

Worried About You

We dont know yet until we can compare the soundboard with the upcoming release. WAY wasnt played on 5th March it seems, so the bootlegged version is therefore definitely from the 4th. The previous assumption that all the circulating tracks (on both the soundboard and LYL) are from 5th March is incorrect, although its probably safe to say that most of them are. The band intro from LYL is definitely from March 5th anyway!

I can't say if this cover is by Studio Fury, yet. They should not be proud to have supplied the least inspired covers of the Rolling Stones ever: a tongue, each Stone gets his own inner sleeves and that's all, mission accomplished. Ask any bootleger and you'll a much better job done.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: March 29, 2022 11:45

Looks like some VIPs are already trading the music;

here's what Nico is writing

770304A 4th March: Toronto, Canada, El Mocambo Tavern, incl.
(Melody/Worried About You/Let’s Spend The Night Together/Band
introduction/Little Red Rooster/Luxury)
Line-up: most probably as below (770305A).
Note: Apparently the Stones started the show with route 66 and played even more
songs than on March 5. The songs above are the only ones circulating.
The whole show was professionally recorded by sound engineer Eddie
Kramer. Little Red Rooster and the band introduction were released on the
live album Love You Live (see 770923A).

770305A 5th March: Toronto, Canada, El Mocambo Tavern
(Honky Tonk Women/All Down The Line/Hand Of Fate/Route 66/Fool To
Cry/Crazy Mama/Mannish Boy/Crackin’ Up/Dance Little Sister/Around
And Around/Tumbling Dice/Hot Stuff/Star Star/Let's Spend The Night
Together/Worried Life Blues/Little Red Rooster/It’s Only Rock’n Roll/
Rip This Joint/Band introduction/Brown Sugar/Jumpin' Jack Flash)
Line-up: MJ (voc, harm, gtr)/KR (gtr)/RW (gtr)/BW (bass)/CW (dr)/Billy Preston
(keyb, bvoc)/Ollie Brown (perc)
Note: Professionally recorded by sound engineer Eddie Kramer. Mannish Boy,
Crackin’ Up and Around And Around were released on the live album Love
You Live (see 770923A).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1451
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home