Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at El Mocambo to be released
Posted by: steadyrollinman ()
Date: March 25, 2022 15:37

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 25, 2022 15:47

Japanese version is the same as for the ROW, there is not a single bonus track. And SHM format hardly helps a lot.
[www.universal-music.co.jp]
This is a wasted opportunity.
I am not buying it.
winking smiley

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: March 25, 2022 15:50

Why Bob use this reverb on the voice?

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: March 25, 2022 16:10

AntoineParis
Why Bob use this reverb on the voice?
Because Mick wants it. I wrote Bob an Email a few years ago since I was wondering why Sticky Fingers Live had so much reverb and got a kind answear from Bob that this was at Mick's request. I posted the answear here on IORR back then, maybe someone can find it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-25 16:11 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 25, 2022 16:43

GetYerAngie
bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
Thin? How?

[www.youtube.com]

To my ears the sound of Still Life has always been “thin”, as in, not full. It’s always sounded empty. Compared to the sound of YaYas and LYL it is completely devoid of soul. It’s empty. It’s.. thin. Plus, I HATE Jagger’s vocals on this record, in this era.

No amount of repeated listening (and I DO listen to it, well Going to a GoGo and Twenty Flight Rock and occasionally Time is on my Side) or watching that dreadful concert video/DVD improves it. It’s quite listless and easily the worst sounding official live Stones record there is, even worse that the shiny Flashpoint.

I agree. Still Life was (and is) a disaster. I had been fan since 1974, but SL made me take a break I returned to Stones-fandom by Steel Wheels (which hasn't aged that well though). I look forward to the El Mocambo-release...

Still Life sucked and the 1981 tour was a disaster. There is a reason they never toured without backups again. Even the astilbes knew they were not very good in 1981.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 25, 2022 16:48

hockenheim95
flairville
It’s on their Facebook page, the number of negative ‘fans’ on here at times is odd. Well done to the guy who broke the news ages ago now as he was spot on. Let more moaning commence!

I thought people would understand my ironic comment smiling smiley

I surely did! drinking smiley

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: March 25, 2022 16:53

stanlove
GetYerAngie
bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
Thin? How?

[www.youtube.com]

To my ears the sound of Still Life has always been “thin”, as in, not full. It’s always sounded empty. Compared to the sound of YaYas and LYL it is completely devoid of soul. It’s empty. It’s.. thin. Plus, I HATE Jagger’s vocals on this record, in this era.

No amount of repeated listening (and I DO listen to it, well Going to a GoGo and Twenty Flight Rock and occasionally Time is on my Side) or watching that dreadful concert video/DVD improves it. It’s quite listless and easily the worst sounding official live Stones record there is, even worse that the shiny Flashpoint.

I agree. Still Life was (and is) a disaster. I had been fan since 1974, but SL made me take a break I returned to Stones-fandom by Steel Wheels (which hasn't aged that well though). I look forward to the El Mocambo-release...

Still Life sucked and the 1981 tour was a disaster. There is a reason they never toured without backups again. Even the astilbes knew they were not very good in 1981.
I saw them three times in '81. They burned the house down every show! Some of the best times of my life.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 25, 2022 17:00

stanlove

What a total load of bollocks.

Mathijs

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 25, 2022 17:09

Mathijs
stanlove

Mathijs

It was awful. Worst tour ever for The Stones. Garbage 80's releases. It was an embarrassing drug infused mess. I went to 3 shows. What a joke looking back.

Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo is released
Date: March 25, 2022 17:14

Interesting to read the different perception of various people.

Date: March 25, 2022 17:17

Mathijs
stanlove

Mathijs

There were dead crowds all over the place because the tour sucked. Do we need to go to the videos again?
People who liked that tour are people who would like any Stones show just because its the Stones. There is a reason they used backups after that and never toured like 1981 again, I remember in 1989 when Jagger dissed the 1981 tour and promised 89 woukd be much better and he was correct. Night and day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-25 17:19 by stanlove.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: March 25, 2022 17:41

stanlove
Mathijs
stanlove

Mathijs

There were dead crowds all over the place because the tour sucked. Do we need to go to the videos again?
People who liked that tour are people who would like any Stones show just because its the Stones. There is a reason they used backups after that and never toured like 1981 again, I remember in 1989 when Jagger dissed the 1981 tour and promised 89 woukd be much better and he was correct. Night and day.
A video on YouTube is definitely the same as being at a show with 80,000 people. Everyones a critic...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 25, 2022 17:51

TheflyingDutchman

And imho direct witnesses (aka "I was there dude!") are often NOT the best persons to assess a tour or a show.
If they were stoned or drunk (69 72 75) it was "best show evah". If they saw a stadium gig (81 89) in the nosebleeds they'd tend to report it was poor or boring.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: March 25, 2022 18:33

$35 per LP + shipping? This is the holy grail, obviously, but I'm going to have to hear it all before I pull the trigger on this set.

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: March 25, 2022 18:34

My fave '81 moment was when people threw shit at Prince...so ironic

Posted by: alfstone ()
Date: March 25, 2022 18:39

Irix
Bundles:

Colour Vinyl + 1977 T-Shirt - [TheRollingStonesShop.co.uk] , Colour Vinyl + Slipmat - [TheRollingStonesShop.co.uk] , Colour Vinyl + Ladies T-Shirt - [TheRollingStonesShop.co.uk]

So Is it cheaper buyin a bundle that only the four neon vinyl without slipmat or t-shirts? Do I miss something? Can anybody clarify this offer with the bundle?

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: March 25, 2022 18:40

rbk
$35 per LP + shipping? This is the holy grail, obviously, but I'm going to have to hear it all before I pull the trigger on this set.

And one of the LP's only plays on one side. The other side is just a logo.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 25, 2022 18:42

1981 was a triumph of sorts. Keith emerged from junkieville and played some damn good guitar that only got better on the '82 European leg. The 1978 Tour is the one that was perceived as a disaster. I think they went for more good timey rock and roll on the '81 tour, instead of messianic too satanic. And that's where they are today, with forty more years of emotional separation from their songs.

I don't think Mick was at his best on the '81 tour, or Ronnie, which may be why Mick doesn't like it. But Charlie, Bill and Keith were outstanding. That 20 Flight Rock/Going to a Go Go coupling is still a highlight.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: March 25, 2022 18:50

I thought Ronnie was brilliant in 1981.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 25, 2022 19:03

$29.99 for a double cd seems a bit exorbitant - pre-ordered on Amazon, but why the outrageous price? As for vinyl, will patiently wait for the usual clearance sale - the GHS Deluxe 4 lp vinyl has dropped to around $55.
And seems a bit odd they would release this concurrently with the upcoming tour as part of the 60th anniversary. Any newbie/casual fan who buys this, hears the energy of a relatively youthful Stones hammering away in a small club, and then attends a massive stadium show this tour....well the difference between then and now will be startling to say the least - especially considering no Bill, no Charlie, their near 80 year old age, their declining skills (especially Keith), and the all around nostalgic Vegas/Disney aspect of the current *Stones. Maybe they'll release a live No Filter show also, but for now looking forward to May 13 to receive this cd set. thumbs up

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 25, 2022 19:21

Hairball
$29.99 for a double cd seems a bit exorbitant - pre-ordered on Amazon, but why the outrageous price? As for vinyl, will patiently wait for the usual clearance sale - the GHS Deluxe 4 lp vinyl has dropped to around $55.
And seems a bit odd they would release this concurrently with the upcoming tour as part of the 60th anniversary. Any newbie/casual fan who buys this, hears the energy of a relatively youthful Stones hammering away in a small club, and then attends a massive stadium show this tour....well the difference between then and now will be startling to say the least - especially considering no Bill, no Charlie, their near 80 year old age, their declining skills (especially Keith), and the all around nostalgic Vegas/Disney aspect of the current *Stones. Maybe they'll release a live No Filter show also, but for now looking forward to May 13 to receive this cd set. thumbs up

you're giving too much credit to the newbie/casual person either for buying this and for being able and willing to make a comparison. we live in the age of social media

Date: March 25, 2022 19:23

Hairball

A lot of younger people I have talked to about this topic said they find the older, more professional Stones (in this forum traditionally called the "Vegas Stones") much more appealing than the young drunken and drug-wasted Stones. It's because styles of music have changed and many of the young artists have a professional and disciplined standard of live performing that young people are used to nowadays. Threfore young people often cannot identify with the drunk Jagger of the 70s and early 80s. Those who like the Stones often prefer the later live performances in my experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-25 19:23 by StonedRambler.

Date: March 25, 2022 19:39

dcba
TheflyingDutchman

And imho direct witnesses (aka "I was there dude!") are often NOT the best persons to assess a tour or a show.
If they were stoned or drunk (69 72 75) it was "best show evah". If they saw a stadium gig (81 89) in the nosebleeds they'd tend to report it was poor or boring.
I think your personal emotions play a big part in how you perceive and remember a concert. A lot of people look back to a time where they were younger and had their first Stones concerts ever so it was still something really special and exciting. I think a lot of people don't seperate these personal memories and emotions from the actual performances of the Stones. And most people also did not went sober to Stones concerts when they were young and neither did the Stones. That surely plays a part as well. At my first Stones concert I was also completely out of my mind. It surely was a trip that made the concert special and I probably will never experience a concert like this again. But not because of the Stones' performance, it has more to do with myself. But some people won't admit that...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 25, 2022 19:43

Hairball
$29.99 for a double cd seems a bit exorbitant - pre-ordered on Amazon, but why the outrageous price? ...

I certainly prefer paying lower, but in reality, if they made this an exclusive and charged $300, I'd probably still get it, and happily!

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: March 25, 2022 19:46

Will this be released on cassette?

Date: March 25, 2022 19:47

drwatts
stanlove
Mathijs
stanlove

Mathijs

A video on YouTube is definitely the same as being at a show with 80,000 people. Everyones a critic...

I was at a couple of shows. They were both dead, I know other people not huge Stones fans who said it was all hype and sucked. Just what I observed and heard.

It’s always make me laugh when people try to argue that in 1981 and 1981 alone crowds for whatever reason just look bored and disappointed at Stone shows. I guess it was just a cultural norm from the time. In 1981 crowds were dead because there was a ton of buildup to what ended up being a weak show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-25 20:01 by stanlove.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 25, 2022 19:49

Does Wood play the solos on Luxury and Dance Little Sister? I think Taylor played the solos on Dance Little Sister on the album.On Luxury I always thought Keith played the first solo and Taylor the outro solo, but people say it’s all Keith.Which begs the question why didn’t he then play the solos on Luxury live

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-25 19:50 by Taylor1.

Date: March 25, 2022 19:59

StonedRambler
dcba
TheflyingDutchman

I think your personal emotions play a big part in how you perceive and remember a concert. A lot of people look back to a time where they were younger and had their first Stones concerts ever so it was still something really special and exciting. I think a lot of people don't seperate these personal memories and emotions from the actual performances of the Stones. And most people also did not went sober to Stones concerts when they were young and neither did the Stones. That surely plays a part as well. At my first Stones concert I was also completely out of my mind. It surely was a trip that made the concert special and I probably will never experience a concert like this again. But not because of the Stones' performance, it has more to do with myself. But some people won't admit that...

Great post. I don’t know anyone personally who saw the Stones in 1981 and talked about how much the Stones rocked, they talk about what a great experience it was.
I had a great time at the concerts ( don’t do drugs or drink in public ) and me and friends still talk sbout what a great experience it was but nobody has ever said the Stones were good because they weren’t.

Stones are by far my favorite group ever but I went 8 years thinking they were just hype as a live band. Then I saw them in 1989 and they were amazing, I was with someone who was a massive Springsteen fan who had seen Springsteen and even he said the 89 show was the best concert he had bern to. Night and day from 81.

The crowds were actually into the music in 1989.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: March 25, 2022 20:00

Speaking of how the younger generation views this release. They are about excited with this reissue as we would have been in 1977 with a reissue of music from 1932...Thankfully, I'm of the older generation and can't wait!

Date: March 25, 2022 20:06

ThePaleRider
Speaking of how the younger generation views this release. They are about excited with this reissue as we would have been in 1977 with a reissue of music from 1932...Thankfully, I'm of the older generation and can't wait!

Hmmm, like those 1930s Robert Johnson songs that blew everyone's young minds in 1961 and 1970!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1022
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home