Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at El Mocambo to be released
Date: March 16, 2022 00:50

Dorn
DandelionPowderman
Dorn

about 10 years ago some exec from the music industry told me that for some time already there was only one mastering , used for all formats, and that is mp3. even for vinyl releases

He was pulling your leg.

mine ? i was not even involved in this discussions so far

He told you, didn't he? Btw, it's easy to see the difference in the spectrograms between vinyl and all the digital formats / cd (I think your exec was talking about the latter here, even though cds and flac/high/res aren't mp3, of course))

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-16 00:56 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: HTD ()
Date: March 16, 2022 00:59

Well, not that my opinion makes any difference, but after listening to the IORR/RTJ mp3, I'm not overwhelmed with the mix either. The overdone reverb on Mick removes the intimacy of the club gig. Unfortunate.

Now, I'm in the camp that now loves LYL. I admit, I didn't at first when it came out, but it was live Stones, so I played the hell out of it, 8 track, cassette, and vinyl. It grew on me. I've now added in the soundboard tracks from "LYL 2016 Mixes" (Idol Mind) and I find myself listening to it a lot in the car.

When I listened to LYL, I would always listen to the Paris tracks as a single performance and then, on occasion, the El Mocambo tracks. I have to admit, I didn't listen to the El Mocambo very much because of the song selection. Just didn't grab me. But what I did like about it was the intimacy of the mix. I felt like I was sitting in the front row, stage right, looking over Bill's shoulder. As someone said, this mix is sorta like sitting in the back row, behind the other 499 people there. Stripped, Totally Stripped also made you feel like you were right there in club. Wish they had done that with this release.

On the positive side, I really like the performance I've heard so far. I've got a couple of bootleg Mocambo CDs with various tracks, but this definitely outshines them in terms of enabling you to appreciate the band and the performance. I'm excited about the set list. I've been waiting for an official live release of Fool to Cry for 45 years -- and I always loved Melody, so, I'm buying this one. It won't be perfect and once again, another missed opportunity for the Stones marketing, but it will be all I listen to for a month after it comes out, nonetheless.

Duck

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 16, 2022 02:49

Cristiano Radtke
Taylor1
TravelinMan
georgemcdonnell314
I remember reading somewhere that they played Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Wild Horses live at one or two shows in 1971. I think maybe it was in one of Bill's books that I read it. It was right before the album came somewhere in the UK.

If the this is true, at least to me, this would be one of the Holy Grail concerts to release.

That’s the Holy Grail, the White Whale, etc for me too. I don’t care if the performance wasn’t up to their standards, they had higher standards back then!

My hope is the Stones taped a bunch of performances and have them in the vault somewhere. I have to imagine a bootleg would have surfaced by now.
Other holy grails:1968 New Music Express performance of JJ Flash, a complete film of any 1972 or1973show, preferably 1972; Any additional recordings of Ry Cooder and the Stones; complete film of 1975 stadium show; any Beggars Banquet or Let it Bleed sessions with additional contributions by Brian;any recordings of Gram Parsons and Keith ;a great sounding 1972 show

Crawdaddy 1963 is on top of my list of holy grails. That recording deserves a release, regardless of how its sound quality may be.

I was always under the impression that "holy grail" was in the singular as in there's only one holy grail. Wishlists of multiple holy grails sort of takes the "holy" out of the equation, and ultimately seems an unholy endeavor.
That said, I agree with Crawdaddy 1963 being a "holy grail", and from a personal perspective I would add Vredenburg '03 as I was there, along with multiple live shows from the Brian era as well as the Mick Taylor era.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 16, 2022 03:35

Hairball
Cristiano Radtke
Taylor1
TravelinMan
georgemcdonnell314
I remember reading somewhere that they played Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Wild Horses live at one or two shows in 1971. I think maybe it was in one of Bill's books that I read it. It was right before the album came somewhere in the UK.

If the this is true, at least to me, this would be one of the Holy Grail concerts to release.

That’s the Holy Grail, the White Whale, etc for me too. I don’t care if the performance wasn’t up to their standards, they had higher standards back then!

My hope is the Stones taped a bunch of performances and have them in the vault somewhere. I have to imagine a bootleg would have surfaced by now.
Other holy grails:1968 New Music Express performance of JJ Flash, a complete film of any 1972 or1973show, preferably 1972; Any additional recordings of Ry Cooder and the Stones; complete film of 1975 stadium show; any Beggars Banquet or Let it Bleed sessions with additional contributions by Brian;any recordings of Gram Parsons and Keith ;a great sounding 1972 show

Crawdaddy 1963 is on top of my list of holy grails. That recording deserves a release, regardless of how its sound quality may be.

I was always under the impression that "holy grail" was in the singular as in there's only one holy grail. Wishlists of multiple holy grails sort of takes the "holy" out of the equation, and ultimately seems an unholy endeavor.
That said, I agree with Crawdaddy 1963 being a "holy grail", and from a personal perspective I would add Vredenburg '03 as I was there, along with multiple live shows from the Brian era as well as the Mick Taylor era.

If you take the holy out of holy grail, it's just plain grail.

But if you also take the 'l' out of grail and swap it with an 'n', then it becomes 'grain'.

Now...isn't that a rye observation?

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: March 16, 2022 03:46

HTD
Well, not that my opinion makes any difference, but after listening to the IORR/RTJ mp3, I'm not overwhelmed with the mix either. The overdone reverb on Mick removes the intimacy of the club gig. Unfortunate.

Now, I'm in the camp that now loves LYL. I admit, I didn't at first when it came out, but it was live Stones, so I played the hell out of it, 8 track, cassette, and vinyl. It grew on me. I've now added in the soundboard tracks from "LYL 2016 Mixes" (Idol Mind) and I find myself listening to it a lot in the car.

When I listened to LYL, I would always listen to the Paris tracks as a single performance and then, on occasion, the El Mocambo tracks. I have to admit, I didn't listen to the El Mocambo very much because of the song selection. Just didn't grab me. But what I did like about it was the intimacy of the mix. I felt like I was sitting in the front row, stage right, looking over Bill's shoulder. As someone said, this mix is sorta like sitting in the back row, behind the other 499 people there. Stripped, Totally Stripped also made you feel like you were right there in club. Wish they had done that with this release.

On the positive side, I really like the performance I've heard so far. I've got a couple of bootleg Mocambo CDs with various tracks, but this definitely outshines them in terms of enabling you to appreciate the band and the performance. I'm excited about the set list. I've been waiting for an official live release of Fool to Cry for 45 years -- and I always loved Melody, so, I'm buying this one. It won't be perfect and once again, another missed opportunity for the Stones marketing, but it will be all I listen to for a month after it comes out, nonetheless.

Duck

Cool Right on.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: March 16, 2022 03:48

AntoineParis
z
donvis
IORR is tuned in G here not B, am I correct?

B

open G capo 4
Thank you. I thought it was G but I’m not a musician! I prefer the G version similar to the record and the Foo Fighters SNL version.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 16, 2022 09:31

Well it's no more listed on the FNAC site, it look that they are waiting for more informations probably (just my guess) about the making of the release itself.
I've heard that since the european events we all know, vinyl prices in the factory have increase and they don't know really about the time they will get new raw material to make it available, last time I've checked the site mentionned May.
Stay tuned...

HMN

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 16, 2022 09:55

Cristiano Radtke
Taylor1
TravelinMan
georgemcdonnell314

it's up there for me too

but i would assume it has zero to no chance of making them money out of a normal release

so come mick eazy sleazy it and just stick it up on youtube for us stones freaks to drool overgrinning smiley

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 16, 2022 10:06

dcba
TravelinMan

My hope is the Stones taped a bunch of performances and have them in the vault somewhere.

Logically if we follow the taping pattern of other tours (69 70 71 72 73) pro-tapes are made of the last gigs of a tour when the band is "hot".

An early gig should only exist as a raw "board" cassette.

i have some questions about these "raw" board cassettes

when did they start making them?

how often did they get made?

what happened to all them?

i mean really did keith and ronnie just give them away, did they record over them, or where they archived and preserved in some way?

i know some found there way onto bootlegs

but except passaic 78 which was grabbed off the board by a fan all of them seem to be several generations down from the master

i can't imagine back then they thought these had commercial value so did they even bother to try and preserve or hold onto them?

Date: March 16, 2022 10:28

Honestman
Well it's no more listed on the FNAC site, it look that they are waiting for more informations probably (just my guess) about the making of the release itself.
I've heard that since the european events we all know, vinyl prices in the factory have increase and they don't know really about the time they will get new raw material to make it available, last time I've checked the site mentionned May.
Stay tuned...

Most likely, Universal has asked them to wait - as the release has been postponed, allegedly.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 16, 2022 12:15

DandelionPowderman
Honestman
Stay tuned...

Most likely, Universal has asked them to wait - as the release has been postponed, allegedly.

Possibly withdrawn altogether due to too many less than enthusiastic voices here from their "hardcore fan base" which this release was aimed at...

Date: March 16, 2022 12:33

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
Honestman
Stay tuned...

Possibly withdrawn altogether due to too many less than enthusiastic voices here from their "hardcore fan base" which this release was aimed at...

grinning smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 16, 2022 12:39

Sorry I voiced my opinion about the loudness war, dynamic range and brickwalling. I hope the music industry continues their downward spiral on the subject. People seem to like it.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 16, 2022 13:47

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
Honestman
Stay tuned...

grinning smiley

Yeah. They probably played for a while with the idea that the hardcore might like this release, but finally understood that they really can't win. Wrongly mixed, constructed, awful cover, you name it. People will hate it anyway. No one should release anything any longer, since it is wrongly done anyway. At least if you are The Rolling Stones. How much better the world would be if they even not exist? In that scenario, I'd be happy and write long essays on a site devoted to a Liverpoolian band that quitted from the business over 50 years ago.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-16 13:52 by Doxa.

Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: March 16, 2022 14:15

I guess Nico was wrong.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: March 16, 2022 14:35

DandelionPowderman
Honestman
Stay tuned...

It might be to optimistic, but it could also mean that the new album is coming closer.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: March 16, 2022 14:43

Amazing how all the people here judge the sound quality from that one bad MP3 of IORR

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 16, 2022 14:45

GetYerAngie

It might be to optimistic, but it could also mean that the new album is coming closer.

Keith said recently twice that they'll continue the work on the new Studio-Album after the SIXTY-Tour - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 16, 2022 14:48

Irix
GetYerAngie

Keith said recently twice that they'll continue the work on the new Studio-Album after the SIXTY-Tour - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Maybe a new single?

Whatever the case, a shame this is being delayed....

Date: March 16, 2022 15:40

Hairball

If there's a postponement then probably due to the general Vinyl delay - [www.NME.com] , [Variety.com] .

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 16, 2022 15:42

Hairball
Irix
GetYerAngie

Maybe a new single?

I am sure you must be a happy man. The more Stones screwing things up, the better it suits to your anti-Stones agenda.

- Doxa

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 16, 2022 15:46

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
Honestman
Stay tuned...

grinning smiley

Yeah. They probably played for a while with the idea that the hardcore might like this release, but finally understood that they really can't win. Wrongly mixed, constructed, awful cover, you name it. People will hate it anyway. No one should release anything any longer, since it is wrongly done anyway. At least if you are The Rolling Stones. How much better the world would be if they even not exist? In that scenario, I'd be happy and write long essays on a site devoted to a Liverpoolian band that quitted from the business over 50 years ago.

- Doxa

At least we got those two new El Mocambo tracks (IORR/Rip This Joint) that somehow slipped out, albeit in mp3 quality only. Likely just what their fan base deserves - the deeper cuts from the show may be too adventurous for them.

Date: March 16, 2022 15:50

Irix
GetYerAngie

Keith said recently twice that they'll might continue the work on the new Studio-Album after the SIXTY-Tour or that they could release it WITH the tour - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Date: March 16, 2022 16:48

[/quote]

- Doxa[/quote]

At least we got those two new El Mocambo tracks (IORR/Rip This Joint) that somehow slipped out, albeit in mp3 quality only. Likely just what their fan base deserves - the deeper cuts from the show may be too adventurous for them.[/quote]

Yeah and that version of IORR is so brilliant, and beautiful - the band moves and flexes like a beast. Ah well, the foghorns of sour negativity always sound the loudest, on almost every thread too - threads for the fans who truly hate the Rolling Stones. I think I actually got more positivity from all those Stones-loathing NME hacks from the 1980s... Why don't they hack off to a Herman's Hermits site? Not that you expect uniformity or constant adulation, but I can't help but ask, sometimes, at some of the comments, you're a FAN? REALLY?!

Date: March 16, 2022 16:50

DandelionPowderman

or that they could release it WITH the tour

Keith didn't say that (nor I did). He said: "My feeling is that we will be on tour later this year. And after that, maybe we'll think about how we want to finish the record." - [iorr.org] .

Respectively that they were uncertain if they can do recording and touring at the same time, or recording first then touring, or first touring and then recording - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 16, 2022 18:01

AntoineParis
There is a mistake on FNAC web site, the release date originally scheduled for 29 april, has been delayed to middle of may. 15 more days to wait.

The frenchies / the Devils winking smiley
sympathyforthedevils.com

Aren't we looking at a delay of two weeks to Mid May?

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: March 16, 2022 18:02

I don't need new songs like "living in a ghost town" which is Mick solo declared as stones. Give us El Mocambo!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 16, 2022 18:06

StonedRambler
Amazing how all the people here judge the sound quality from that one bad MP3 of IORR

Or a youtube video shot with a smart phone from the last row to judge a Stones concert

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: March 16, 2022 18:08

deardoctor
I don't need new songs like "living in a ghost town" which is Mick solo declared as stones. Give us El Mocambo!

smileys with beer

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: March 16, 2022 18:28

Does anyone have any idea when this will be officially announced?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home