Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at El Mocambo to be released
Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: February 23, 2022 23:06

MadMetaphoricalMax
Love You Live was the first Stones album I ever heard, and the first versions of Stones songs I ever heard. My brother bought it when it came out, I think for his 21st.
Hearing the percussion, the Fanfare, that French voice the crowd, the announcer..."Le Rolleeng Stones!!!", that sort of a shuffle on the drums from Charlie and then those chords, pulling as strong as oxes, the cattle of the sun.... I'd never ever heard anything like it, ever, the power of that moment was phenomenal, and remains so. It just blew the doors right out. Those chords always will...
Side 3 is brilliant, but I've always loved side 4 - that messy, ragged It's Only Rock n Roll, the fast-as-@#$%& Brown Sugar, then the ultraviolence of Jumpin Jack Flash segueing into the incredible, violent,chaotic churning energy of LYL's Sympathy - firebombs going off, wild guitars at the maxx, a screaming Jagger, huge drums n percussion, sounds like the stage is being whipped - a cacophony of noise - it's utterly glorious. I was 14.I felt like smashing up some chairs. I was like that guy whose head explodes in Scanners.
I'd like to see that Abbatoirs film released....

video: [www.youtube.com]

AMEN! Totally agree. Well said.

Date: February 24, 2022 14:57

There will be an official announcement about this release on March 11, according to Nico thumbs up

Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: February 24, 2022 15:17

I’ll believe it when boogaloojeff confirms.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 24, 2022 15:39

DandelionPowderman
There will be an official announcement about this release on March 11, according to Nico thumbs up

Great news! smileys with beer

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 24, 2022 16:53

DandelionPowderman

Nice.....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 24, 2022 16:58

We've been asking for this one for a really long time. Great to see it will finally get a release.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 24, 2022 17:13

Some El Mocambo photos at atsu-y's Hot Stuff webpage

[6101.teacup.com]

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: February 24, 2022 17:59

Dorn
MadMetaphoricalMax
Hearing the percussion, the Fanfare, that French voice the crowd, the announcer..."Le Rolleeng Stones!!!", that sort of a shuffle on the drums from Charlie and then those chords, pulling as strong as oxes, the cattle of the sun.... I'd never ever heard anything like it,the power of that moment was phenomenal, and remains so.

perfectly described, i can only second that
but don't forget the fantastic sound of that album....

I second that! I just love the sound. Hope they don't mess up the sound like they did the last few live releases.

Posted by: Sandy Beach ()
Date: February 24, 2022 18:51

Gastón, simply, you are a jealous guy. Respect.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-24 18:54 by Sandy Beach.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: February 24, 2022 19:14

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
I've always been a big fan of Love You Live, the only thing is that after getting my first TOTA 1975 bootlegs in the early 90s, I thought they were so much better compared to LYL. But prior to that, I listened a LOT to that double-album. Apart from the El Mocambo tracks, I think side 4 is terrific.

HTW, Happy, Hot Stuff and You Gotta Move are excellent, too, imo.

They did right in leaving out Fool To Cry and Ain't Too Proud To Beg. Yes, Hot Stuff is excellent, but so was Hand Of Fate and Hey Negrita, at just about every 1976 concert.

They should have omitted Hot Stuff and added a version of Hand of Fate from 1976

Date: February 24, 2022 19:29

If true, I wonder what this means for the rumored Four Flicks show from New York 2003 which has not been officially announced yet. I wonder which show would be released first?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-24 19:30 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 24, 2022 20:27

boogaloojef
If true, I wonder what this means for the rumored Four Flicks show from New York 2003 which has not been officially announced yet. I wonder which show would be released first?

maybe they'll release a torrent of archive releases for 60th and make us fans happy

yeah i know not likely but we can hopesmiling smiley

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 24, 2022 20:40

Muddyw
Dorn
MadMetaphoricalMax
Hearing the percussion, the Fanfare, that French voice the crowd, the announcer..."Le Rolleeng Stones!!!", that sort of a shuffle on the drums from Charlie and then those chords, pulling as strong as oxes, the cattle of the sun.... I'd never ever heard anything like it,the power of that moment was phenomenal, and remains so.

perfectly described, i can only second that
but don't forget the fantastic sound of that album....

I second that! I just love the sound. Hope they don't mess up the sound like they did the last few live releases.

they definetly will and despite that it will still be wonderful

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 24, 2022 20:56

Palace Revolution 2000
If the original info is correct, and if they're able to keep Mick from overdubbing, this would be a killer release.

It's cringeworthy to imagine some contemporary Mick vocals and Ronnie guitar solos overdubbed on to the original recording 45 years after the fact.
I'd rather hear warts and all botched up and sloppy any day vs. sterilized and doctored up - please leave well enough alone.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: February 24, 2022 20:59

No, really, what can be better than that?
Might be, it would be even more interesting, to get the gig from 1986 BUT: musically the were on the top of the game at El Mocambo. It´s such great news, if it´s true

Date: February 24, 2022 21:08

They haven't overdubbed any of their vault-live-releases yet, so no reason to suspect they will with El Mocambo. They only overdub live-recordings if it's just after the concert took place, that it's getting released. Like Love You Live, Four Flicks, etc.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: February 24, 2022 21:43

Erik_Snow
They haven't overdubbed any of their vault-live-releases yet, so no reason to suspect they will with El Mocambo. They only overdub live-recordings if it's just after the concert took place, that it's getting released. Like Love You Live, Four Flicks, etc.

Parts of Hampton are overdubbed. For example the vocals on Time is in my Side and the Refrain of Miss You

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-24 21:44 by hockenheim95.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: February 24, 2022 21:49

Those overdubs were already done decades earlier, so no new overdubs on Hampton.

Date: February 24, 2022 21:58

GJV
Those overdubs were already done decades earlier, so no new overdubs on Hampton.

Yes they did lots of overdubs in 1982, not only on the tracks for Still Life, but for the KBFH radio broadcasts, etc

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: February 24, 2022 21:58

GJV

And they've done overdubs for Love You Live on the El Mocambo tapes. So there is at least a possibility that they use them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-24 21:59 by hockenheim95.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 24, 2022 22:29

Didn't someone mention there are actually THREE guitars on one "side 3" track ("Mannish Boy" iirc), which proves there were overdubs done a few days after the gigs.

Date: February 24, 2022 22:31

dcba
Didn't someone mention there are actually THREE guitars on one "side 3" track ("Mannish Boy" iirc), which proves there were overdubs done a few days after the gigs.

On Little Red Rooster as well.

Anyway, it doesn't worry me. They played just as good in the spring/summer of 1977 as they did at March 5th.

It would be a different thing if they messed with it now. Or if Pierre did.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 24, 2022 23:55

Erik_Snow
dcba

On Little Red Rooster as well.

Anyway, it doesn't worry me. They played just as good in the spring/summer of 1977 as they did at March 5th.

It would be a different thing if they messed with it now. Or if Pierre did.

I don't think they've overdubbed the complete show back then, instead most likely just the tracks they considered for inclusion on LYL. The famous El Mocambo acetate from back then has just two unreleased tracks, Route 66 and Dance Little Sister, so they possibly overdubbed these, too.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 25, 2022 00:04

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
I've always been a big fan of Love You Live, the only thing is that after getting my first TOTA 1975 bootlegs in the early 90s, I thought they were so much better compared to LYL. But prior to that, I listened a LOT to that double-album. Apart from the El Mocambo tracks, I think side 4 is terrific.

They did right in leaving out Fool To Cry and Ain't Too Proud To Beg. Yes, Hot Stuff is excellent, but so was Hand Of Fate and Hey Negrita, at just about every 1976 concert.

I think Fool To Cry from the french TV broadcast was excellent, but yes, Ain't Too Proud To Beg sounded pretty, let's say generic, not bad, but not adding anything to the studio version either. Hey Negrita and in particular Hand Of Fate were simply cooking - I always regretted that these were not included. Could have lived without Sympathy, though - I think this version was pretty awful.

Date: February 25, 2022 00:12

retired_dog
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow

I think Fool To Cry from the french TV broadcast was excellent, but yes, Ain't Too Proud To Beg sounded pretty, let's say generic, not bad, but not adding anything to the studio version either. Hey Negrita and in particular Hand Of Fate were simply cooking - I always regretted that these were not included. Could have lived without Sympathy, though - I think this version was pretty awful.

Yep, them 2 tracks + Hot Stuff were highlights in 1976.
It might not make up for Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo, All Down The Line or Gimme Shelter, as in 1975 setlists....but, nice with a change

I never cared for Hey Negrita, when I was young, before I got to hear 1976 "bootlegs". And it's one of them tracks that almost sound better on some so-so audience recording, when the guitars are way higher than they would have been on a professional recording

And I agree; Fool To Cry wasn't bad at all, but as they had to leave out so many tracks, since there's only 3 sides of 1975/76 recordings; Fool To Cry had to go, especially since they allready chose YCAGWYW to be included. I would say the same thing about Angie

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: February 25, 2022 02:16

Mrs Trudeau in the front row

Date: February 25, 2022 03:37

The shows themselves went well enough, though the versions that appear on album are heavily overdubbed with new guitar tracks and backing vocals by Richards and/or Ronnie Wood. Jagger overdubbed the harmonica of "Mannish Boy" as well. Only "Around and Around" is untouched.

From Wikipedia article about Love You Live lp.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 25, 2022 09:31

Hairball
Palace Revolution 2000
If the original info is correct, and if they're able to keep Mick from overdubbing, this would be a killer release.

It's cringeworthy to imagine some contemporary Mick vocals and Ronnie guitar solos overdubbed on to the original recording 45 years after the fact.
I'd rather hear warts and all botched up and sloppy any day vs. sterilized and doctored up - please leave well enough alone.

Have they ever touched up any live release? Obviously not the big label live releases. I meant only the big label releases, not the vault releases.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-26 06:48 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: February 25, 2022 09:53

Hard to say if they touched up or only touched the recordings. They've done overdubbing already on Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out. Here's what wikipedia says:

The performances captured for this release were recorded on 27 November 1969 (one show) and 28 November 1969 (two shows) at New York City's Madison Square Garden, except for "Love in Vain", recorded in Baltimore on 26 November 1969. Overdubbing sessions were undertaken during January 1970 in London's Olympic Studios. The finished product featured an overdubbed lead vocal on all tracks except for "Love In Vain" and "Midnight Rambler," added back-up vocals on three tracks, and overdubbed guitar on two songs ("Little Queenie" and "Stray Cat Blues").[citation needed] However, this album is widely recognized as one of few actual 'live' albums during this era.

The same goes with LYL:
Love You Live was overdubbed and mixed from late May to mid-June 1977.

And continues until today. I doubt there's any official liv recording that hasn't been overdubbed.

Date: February 25, 2022 10:05

dcba

And how many guitar tracks can you identify on Crackin' Up? winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2197
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home