Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at El Mocambo to be released
Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 19, 2022 11:00

That setlist is more than "slightly tweaked" from the '76 European tour. Bring it on!

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: February 19, 2022 11:17

One of the best known bootleg releases (first vinyl, then later also CD):

LP Tracks

A1 Worried About You 7:30
A2 Crackin' Up 4:44
A3 Let's Spend The Night Together 2:40
A4 Route 66 2:48

B1 Hand Of Fate 3:49
B2 Around & Around 3:25
B3 Little Red Rooster 5:30
B4 Dance Little Sister 3:10
B5 Route 66 2:59

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 19, 2022 12:16

Looking forward to this one. I always loved that side of "Love You Live".

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 19, 2022 12:21

Muddyw
Hopefully Bob Clearmountain will do the honors!

And not Sam Wheat! I pay double if not ...

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: February 19, 2022 15:57

Keef of course, is completely straight.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 19, 2022 21:37

No modern overdubs please! Just the ones that were done in 77.
Keep the music vintage!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 19, 2022 22:55

This'll be an amazing time capsule if they keep it without any 'new additions', except 'cleaning up' maybe if it's necessary.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 20, 2022 04:24

TIRED
One of the best known bootleg releases (first vinyl, then later also CD):

LP Tracks

A1 Worried About You 7:30
A2 Crackin' Up 4:44
A3 Let's Spend The Night Together 2:40
A4 Route 66 2:48

B1 Hand Of Fate 3:49
B2 Around & Around 3:25
B3 Little Red Rooster 5:30
B4 Dance Little Sister 3:10
B5 Route 66 2:59

Decades ago released by an old friend of mine from Germany - the vinyl, of course. The later CD release, however, was done by somebody else, dubbed from the original vinyl, not from the vinyl master tape.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 20, 2022 04:24

I guess I'm a bit baffled here by many of the live releases held in such high regard around these parts, but again, it all comes down to a matter of personal taste. I don't think Ya-Ya's deserves the high praise that it does, and most certainly I don't think Love You Live even needs to be listened to more than a couple of times. I can't usually stand to get thru it, due to the poor sound of it all. I'm going to have to dig it out again, because for the life of me I don't know why anyone would be ecstatic about this one....Baffled.

Date: February 20, 2022 04:30

VoodooLounge13
I guess I'm a bit baffled here by many of the live releases held in such high regard around these parts, but again, it all comes down to a matter of personal taste. I don't think Ya-Ya's deserves the high praise that it does, and most certainly I don't think Love You Live even needs to be listened to more than a couple of times. I can't usually stand to get thru it, due to the poor sound of it all. I'm going to have to dig it out again, because for the life of me I don't know why anyone would be ecstatic about this one....Baffled.

Perhaps your screen name tells it all...maybe you're just too young to know.

Date: February 20, 2022 06:08

I admit I came into the band much later than a lot on here, and there is not an album in the cannon that will EVER surpass the excellence that VL is, in cassette format. However, I do appreciate a lot of the older stuff. Brussells is fantastic - to me the holy grail, not Ya-Ya's and certainly not Love You Live. I do still think Flashpoint is the quintessential sounding live album of the modern-era Stones, but I have a huge soft spot for all the Bridges releases, because that was the first time I saw them live. Again, LYL just doesn't age well to me, and I don't hardly ever replay it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 20, 2022 06:29

VoodooLounge13
I admit I came into the band much later than a lot on here, and there is not an album in the cannon that will EVER surpass the excellence that VL is, in cassette format. However, I do appreciate a lot of the older stuff. Brussells is fantastic - to me the holy grail, not Ya-Ya's and certainly not Love You Live. I do still think Flashpoint is the quintessential sounding live album of the modern-era Stones, but I have a huge soft spot for all the Bridges releases, because that was the first time I saw them live. Again, LYL just doesn't age well to me, and I don't hardly ever replay it.

I've never been a huge fan of LYL, with the exception of side 3...that is fantastic and a double album's worth would be very welcomed.

Date: February 20, 2022 07:00

VoodooLounge13

Yeah, I admit that I don't play Love You Live very often these days, but if I do, it's almost Side 3 only - the El Mocambo tracks. And that's the point - this won't be an "expanded Love You Live", this will be an expanded El Mocambo...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 20, 2022 07:02

I would love to hear what Hot Stuff from El Mocambo sounds like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-20 07:03 by ryanpow.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 20, 2022 08:40

VoodooLounge13

I was thinking that too, to dig it out and see if my mind changes about the non-El Mocambo sides. I thought it was a letdown in '77 when I bought it, and only liked Side 3. As for Ya-Yas, it's my second favorite live album of all time, right behind Band of Gypsys, and right ahead of the Allman Brothers at the Fillmore East.

Date: February 20, 2022 08:45

VoodooLounge13
I admit I came into the band much later than a lot on here, and there is not an album in the cannon that will EVER surpass the excellence that VL is, in cassette format. /quote]

How strange. That's the album where they were basically over as a studio group and were just echoing the past. A couple good cuts, but a lot of clunkers. Much as I like New Faces, it's just Lady Jane with new lyrics. Have you gone through the entire Rolling Stone discography? My first Stones album was Let It Bleed for Christmas 1969. I was really into Ya Yas when somebody lent me their first few albums. Brian on King Bee knocked me out, even though I didn't think they were recorded all that well.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 20, 2022 14:26

24FPS
VoodooLounge13

I was thinking that too, to dig it out and see if my mind changes about the non-El Mocambo sides. I thought it was a letdown in '77 when I bought it, and only liked Side 3. As for Ya-Yas, it's my second favorite live album of all time, right behind Band of Gypsys, and right ahead of the Allman Brothers at the Fillmore East.

OMG I couldn't disagree more.....EL Mocambo is like a personal and intimate love letter from the greatest Rn R band in the world to their fans....how can you not feel like you are instantly transported into the smallest club witnessing the most intimate show....powerful....alive.....dripping with energy...you feel lucky to be there. I want more of that magic. Bring it!

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: February 20, 2022 18:51

Didn't Eddie Kramer say in an interview that some of the tapes were damaged?

Date: February 20, 2022 19:23

Rip This
24FPS
VoodooLounge13

OMG I couldn't disagree more.....EL Mocambo is like a personal and intimate love letter from the greatest Rn R band in the world to their fans....how can you not feel like you are instantly transported into the smallest club witnessing the most intimate show....powerful....alive.....dripping with energy...you feel lucky to be there. I want more of that magic. Bring it!

That's how I feel about the Stripped performances.

Date: February 20, 2022 19:32

24FPS
VoodooLounge13
I admit I came into the band much later than a lot on here, and there is not an album in the cannon that will EVER surpass the excellence that VL is, in cassette format. /quote]

How strange. That's the album where they were basically over as a studio group and were just echoing the past. A couple good cuts, but a lot of clunkers. Much as I like New Faces, it's just Lady Jane with new lyrics. Have you gone through the entire Rolling Stone discography? My first Stones album was Let It Bleed for Christmas 1969. I was really into Ya Yas when somebody lent me their first few albums. Brian on King Bee knocked me out, even though I didn't think they were recorded all that well.

I couldn't disagree more. I feel like that's the album where Keef was in control of the sound and what was and wasn't going to make the final album. The guitar snarls much like Main Offender, which is, IMHO, a FAR superior album to TIC (minus Locked Away), and that same sound energy carried over into VL. Mick, too, had the creative juices flowing from WS, though now we know it to be a far older project than we'd thought, but still the lyrics were solid. It is a phenomenal album by a group that had been around for 30+ years at that point, and was well-received the world over, including grammy's. The video for Love Is Strong is still one of my favorites. The sex appeal that that album oooooooooooooooooooooooooooozes start to finish was, to a boy of 18, better than anything I'd heard up to that point - the topics discussed and the audacity of the lyrics, though somewhat disguised, blew me away at the time. As a man of 46, the album still resonates with that personal soft spot and sounds like nothing else in their vast cannon, and to me, it is their best effort.

I would say B2B was their last great album - it holds up remarkably well. I actually just listened to it yday, and it really is a NYC album for the times. The cousin of SG, and just as dirty. They were adventurous then - allowing others into the recording process and it all worked - except for MAWGJ, which I just abhor.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 20, 2022 20:20

VoodooLounge13
24FPS
VoodooLounge13

I couldn't disagree more. I feel like that's the album where Keef was in control of the sound and what was and wasn't going to make the final album. The guitar snarls much like Main Offender, which is, IMHO, a FAR superior album to TIC (minus Locked Away), and that same sound energy carried over into VL. Mick, too, had the creative juices flowing from WS, though now we know it to be a far older project than we'd thought, but still the lyrics were solid. It is a phenomenal album by a group that had been around for 30+ years at that point, and was well-received the world over, including grammy's. The video for Love Is Strong is still one of my favorites. The sex appeal that that album oooooooooooooooooooooooooooozes start to finish was, to a boy of 18, better than anything I'd heard up to that point - the topics discussed and the audacity of the lyrics, though somewhat disguised, blew me away at the time. As a man of 46, the album still resonates with that personal soft spot and sounds like nothing else in their vast cannon, and to me, it is their best effort.

I would say B2B was their last great album - it holds up remarkably well. I actually just listened to it yday, and it really is a NYC album for the times. The cousin of SG, and just as dirty. They were adventurous then - allowing others into the recording process and it all worked - except for MAWGJ, which I just abhor.

nice to know someone adores the 90's stones as much as me

what's your thoughts on ronnie's slide on this and slide on this live?

Date: February 20, 2022 20:53

ProfessorWolf
VoodooLounge13
24FPS
VoodooLounge13

nice to know someone adores the 90's stones as much as me

what's your thoughts on ronnie's slide on this and slide on this live?

Funny you should ask, Professor, as I just listened to a bunch of Ronnie solo cd's last week. 1234 is my personal favorite of his, but I'd put SOT in the second spot. It, too, is a really solid effort, with a lot of top notch players helping craft the sound of the album. Honestly, the 90's for the Stones - as a band and solo - were really Rock Solid. Main Offender, Wandering Spirt, Slide On This, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges To Babylon, Stripped, plus Charlie's Long Ago and Far Away (not really a big jazz person, but I do think this to be his best work) - tell me how any of these albums missed the mark?!?!?

Post Stripped is when I think things just really fell apart for them. There was only 3 years between VL & B2B (after 5 between SW & VL), and then we got the huge gap to ABB, which is a decent effort by a group of elder statesmen confronting death for the first time and wanting to get out another album before anything happened to any of them. To me, I sometimes feel like, for them, that really was the last big go round - hence the reason why everything was called, A Bigger Bang, IDK. Last world tour, rush to get the album done for Charlie. It's decent enough and has some good moments, but the lyrics and Mick's delivery/enunciation really grate on me, along with a lot of the greatest hits tack on songs.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: February 20, 2022 21:00

24FPS
VoodooLounge13

Date: February 20, 2022 21:10

Whale
24FPS
VoodooLounge13

Off the top of my head, I'd have to say that my favorite live albums of all time - top 3 at least - would have to be

McCartney - Tripping the Live Fantastic. Just a phenomenal song selection and tight band.
Paul Simon - Concert in the Park. Love the African influences here.
AC/DC - River Plate

To come up with a more definitive list, I'd really need to go thru my whole collection.

Date: February 20, 2022 21:13

It's interesting to read people who came to the Stones late in the party. They don't hear what long time fans hear. Which is fine. Except for the radio singles in the 60s, I wasn't aware of the group's album cuts until later. Personally I consider the group as a meaningful studio creature to have ended with Steel Wheels. Everything after was below their previous output. But come on, that was almost thirty years. Bill took one of the three legs of the rhythm stool with him.

I can't imagine my Stones listening to have begun with Voodoo Lounge. It would be like catching onto Duke Ellington in the 50s, unaware of his 20s, 30s, and 40s masterpieces. In fact the Stones and Ellington are very similar. A golden era, followed by years of touring the hits around the world.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: February 20, 2022 22:08

24FPS
It's interesting to read people who came to the Stones late in the party. They don't hear what long time fans hear. Which is fine. Except for the radio singles in the 60s, I wasn't aware of the group's album cuts until later. Personally I consider the group as a meaningful studio creature to have ended with Steel Wheels. Everything after was below their previous output. But come on, that was almost thirty years. Bill took one of the three legs of the rhythm stool with him.

I can't imagine my Stones listening to have begun with Voodoo Lounge. It would be like catching onto Duke Ellington in the 50s, unaware of his 20s, 30s, and 40s masterpieces. In fact the Stones and Ellington are very similar. A golden era, followed by years of touring the hits around the world.

Man, ain't that the truth. There have been some great tracks since 'Steel Wheels', but other than 'Blue and Lonesome' no albums have truly held together for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-21 05:44 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 20, 2022 22:42

boogaloojef
Didn't Eddie Kramer say in an interview that some of the tapes were damaged?

Those of the 1st night only?

Date: February 20, 2022 22:46

24FPS

Actually, I knew a lot of the Stones singles from the Oldies channel growing up and just didn't know that they were theirs. To give a quick summation of my intro, which has been done in other threads over the years:

I came into them in '89 at 13. Mixed Emotions single and video was the first I'd seen of them on MTV. Same year The London Years came out, and I got that for xmas. But I was allowed to keep it in my bedroom unopened until closer to xmas. Was with my mom when she bought it, so I was able to read and study the song selections on the back, and then I'd hear other songs on the radio - Monkey Man comes to mind and realized that that one wasn't on there and I couldn't figure out why, as I had thought that that box was a definitive collection of all their singles. I had just gotten into my own music in '87 while in 6th grade, and it all started out with Whitesnake's Here I Go Again. That was the first cassette I ever bought. Soon after I got into AC/DC and all sorts of other music on the radio stations then. A lot of Hair Metal. Mostly hair metal actually - Kiss, Metallica, Ozzy would all come much much later. Flashpoint came, and I thought it was great. Long long wait til VL came out and to me, it blew AWAY SW, hands down. As a teenager of 18 with barely manageable hormones, it resonated in a way that not even the AC/DC stuff could. Between SW and VL, I picked up a cassette of IORR cheap, and figured I'd love it too, but alas I was greatly disappointed - so much so that I would later on sell the tape in a secondhand shop.

At this point, The Beatles were still my favorite band, and would remain so until I saw the boys live for the first time in '97 when they completely blew me away. Looking back, over half of that setlist I didn't know at the time, but it caused me to go back and dive into the back catalog more. The first CD I got was SF, because much of the unknown songs from that first concert seemed to be on there. I loved it!!! Still do. Actually, to me, if I were to introduce someone to ONE Stones record, it would be Sticky Fingers. To me, it is THE quintessential Stones album. Has it all - blues, rock, country, ballads, lyrics, controversy, a gritty dirtiness and that star on the guitar. The album is everything that makes the Rolling Stones THE Rolling Stones. Then I picked up some others - Let It Bleed, Flowers, Some Girls. Loved them all. From there, I don't remember, but I kept going until I had all of em.

To this day several of my favorite songs from the 60's are deep album cuts that would only be known to the true fans: Back Street Girl, Blue Turns To Grey, Flight 505, Fortune Teller, My Obsession, Out Of Time, Poison Ivy, Jiving Sister Fanny, Sittin On A Fence, Take It Or Leave It, Ride On Baby, Yesterday's Papers. It's true that my first introduction into the band of their early stuff was thru the singles on The London Years, so then I really went backwards thru the albums. Flowers to this day remains one of my favorites of theirs, and it was a little while before I realized that that wasn't an album, but a compilation. It just has so many great songs that I love.

It took me a long time to get into EOMS. I just couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. It sounded murky and ya can't understand wtf Mick's saying half the time, but in time, I grew to appreciate it for the great album that it is. I just happen to think that they have a couple albums better is all. Nothing wrong with that. My top 3 would be Voodoo, Sticky, Goats. Anything thereafter is subject to change on any given day.

I don't get the love that ER and U get, as those two are throwaways for me really - couple decent tracks on each, but that's about it, and I'm glad we didn't get anything more in those veins. DW is a much, much better album than it gets credit for, and over time, I've come to look less favorably on SG - at least I don't listen to it as much as I once did. I think I prefer the funk of B&B to it, really.

We each have our own personal tastes and that's what makes the world go round. To each their own. I prefer the US Aftermath. Doesn't make me a bad person. Just a different appreciation. Together we all love the same thing.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: February 21, 2022 00:33

Though hearing is subjective, to me Love You Live has a warm production overall. The productions of some great live material released in the last years were really messed up. Blue And Lonesome does not equal their blues sound like The Storm, So Young, Fancyman, etc. Yes, they recorded Blue spontaneously, but still. Even some bootlegs sound better than the official releases. It's a bit of an insult to music lovers really, the music company and the Stones just don't care about quality production anymore..

Their last best sound production was Bridges To Babylon, and live material Totally Stripped, though Stripped is more upfront.

Date: February 21, 2022 00:49

VoodooLounge13
24FPS

Actually, I knew a lot of the Stones singles from the Oldies channel growing up and just didn't know that they were theirs. To give a quick summation of my intro, which has been done in other threads over the years:

I came into them in '89 at 13. Mixed Emotions single and video was the first I'd seen of them on MTV. Same year The London Years came out, and I got that for xmas. But I was allowed to keep it in my bedroom unopened until closer to xmas. Was with my mom when she bought it, so I was able to read and study the song selections on the back, and then I'd hear other songs on the radio - Monkey Man comes to mind and realized that that one wasn't on there and I couldn't figure out why, as I had thought that that box was a definitive collection of all their singles. I had just gotten into my own music in '87 while in 6th grade, and it all started out with Whitesnake's Here I Go Again. That was the first cassette I ever bought. Soon after I got into AC/DC and all sorts of other music on the radio stations then. A lot of Hair Metal. Mostly hair metal actually - Kiss, Metallica, Ozzy would all come much much later. Flashpoint came, and I thought it was great. Long long wait til VL came out and to me, it blew AWAY SW, hands down. As a teenager of 18 with barely manageable hormones, it resonated in a way that not even the AC/DC stuff could. Between SW and VL, I picked up a cassette of IORR cheap, and figured I'd love it too, but alas I was greatly disappointed - so much so that I would later on sell the tape in a secondhand shop.

At this point, The Beatles were still my favorite band, and would remain so until I saw the boys live for the first time in '97 when they completely blew me away. Looking back, over half of that setlist I didn't know at the time, but it caused me to go back and dive into the back catalog more. The first CD I got was SF, because much of the unknown songs from that first concert seemed to be on there. I loved it!!! Still do. Actually, to me, if I were to introduce someone to ONE Stones record, it would be Sticky Fingers. To me, it is THE quintessential Stones album. Has it all - blues, rock, country, ballads, lyrics, controversy, a gritty dirtiness and that star on the guitar. The album is everything that makes the Rolling Stones THE Rolling Stones. Then I picked up some others - Let It Bleed, Flowers, Some Girls. Loved them all. From there, I don't remember, but I kept going until I had all of em.

To this day several of my favorite songs from the 60's are deep album cuts that would only be known to the true fans: Back Street Girl, Blue Turns To Grey, Flight 505, Fortune Teller, My Obsession, Out Of Time, Poison Ivy, Jiving Sister Fanny, Sittin On A Fence, Take It Or Leave It, Ride On Baby, Yesterday's Papers. It's true that my first introduction into the band of their early stuff was thru the singles on The London Years, so then I really went backwards thru the albums. Flowers to this day remains one of my favorites of theirs, and it was a little while before I realized that that wasn't an album, but a compilation. It just has so many great songs that I love.

It took me a long time to get into EOMS. I just couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. It sounded murky and ya can't understand wtf Mick's saying half the time, but in time, I grew to appreciate it for the great album that it is. I just happen to think that they have a couple albums better is all. Nothing wrong with that. My top 3 would be Voodoo, Sticky, Goats. Anything thereafter is subject to change on any given day.

I don't get the love that ER and U get, as those two are throwaways for me really - couple decent tracks on each, but that's about it, and I'm glad we didn't get anything more in those veins. DW is a much, much better album than it gets credit for, and over time, I've come to look less favorably on SG - at least I don't listen to it as much as I once did. I think I prefer the funk of B&B to it, really.

We each have our own personal tastes and that's what makes the world go round. To each their own. I prefer the US Aftermath. Doesn't make me a bad person. Just a different appreciation. Together we all love the same thing.

It is indeed interesting to hear somebody with a different perspective on the Stones. What you love in Voodoo Lounge is reminiscent of what the band did in the 60s, early 70s. Steel Wheels was not their strongest album, but it was coherent, with some above average songs, and a great improvement over their previous two, DW and Undercover. There are three great Stones eras, 1963-1969. 1969-1973, and 1975-1989. That is when they had the greatest rhythm section, and the greatest side musicians. Yes, they have had the odd great single since then, but no great album of new material. Blue and Lonesome is a favorite. I listened to it the other day. Those are blues masters putting it down.

How strange to think of future generations who will discover the Stones, and how they will judge the different periods. I guess that's what is happening with the Beatles now. Having grown up with the Beatles in chronological order, and gasping at how much further they took the music each year, it would be strange to start with something like Abbey Road, and then go backward to Meet The Beatles.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home