Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10
Petition to get all 3 shows from MSG 1969 released
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 16, 2022 20:11

Over the last several months, I have been giving a lot of thought to following through with a pet project of mine, especially given recent posts I have been seeing on the Tell Me Thread and Hot Stuff regarding fans interest in the 1969 recordings. I, like a lot of the visitors to this site, am a big, big fan of the 1969 tour (I was a little too young at the time to appreciate and be into the Stones so I never caught them in the flesh). Out of all the many American tours that the Stones have graced us with their presence, I always seem to come back to the 69 tour, especially the shows they played on the east coast at MSG, as the Stones were well oiled by the time they played those three shows on 11/27 & 11/28 which luckily were recorded and found their way on Ya Yas. A true fan can truly hear and appreciate via bootleg recordings (and even the 1969 TRAX dropped on U Tube at the end of 2019 minus all the overdubs that went on Ya Yas), that the Stones were firing on all cylinders-the results of which were some truly great musical performances of Jack Flash, Sympathy, Rambler, Satisfaction, etc.

Many, many fans like myself feel that releasing these shows as is (minus all the vocal overdubs that went into the original Ya Yas release etc) certainly WOULD NOT tarnish the Rolling Stones image. What a better time to honor the occasion of the 60th anniversary by releasing these shows on what was arguably the Rolling Stones best return to the American concert stage (after a three-year hiatus) when the band was playing at its prime.

I have thought about this long and hard, and I know that compared to the 40th anniversary boxed set, that this may be a much harder sell as this is really a “niche” product that would appeal primarily to hard core Stones fans and the powers that be might not give a rat’s ass about it.

Also, there is the very real hurdle that the Stones and/or Abkco will continue to feud and stymie any release of 1960’s material. However, if there is agreement among the two parties, the reality is that they can make a quick buck for little effort as these tapes are just sitting in a vault somewhere, ready to be dusted off and released.

I admittedly have selfish reasons for wanting these shows released in their entirety. I am an older Rolling Stones fan with ever increasing health issues (nothing at the moment that is life threatening, just the standard health issues that come with advancing age) who wants to have and hear these shows before I get too disabled (or worse yet, die before I have them in my possession) to enjoy. I am at a point in my life where I would like to take the risk and at least say that I tried to make this happen instead of saying the usual should a, would a, couldas and doing nothing.

Lastly, I cannot take this on all myself, simply because I lack all the skill-sets that are needed to make it happen, and also, it is very time consuming for one individual. We would have to divvy up tasks. This would require some work and involvement from the Stones fans who are interested in seeing this come to fruition. However, if I don’t get a significant amount of folks to buy into it, I will walk away from this.

For those who are interested, I am forwarding the link where you can go and sign the petition:

[chng.it]

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I cannot do this without your help and support.

PS- if you want to e-mail me privately with your suggestions and comments, here is my address:
ssigel@rochester.rr.com
Scott Sigel aka Sighunt.

Edited 15 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-01 09:40 by bv.

Re: Fans of the 1969 MSG shows, please read:
Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: February 16, 2022 21:10

Sounds like very good idea to me. Haven't there been some rumours here, about a release of these shows? What can be done?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 16, 2022 21:13

Sighunt
Over the last several months, I have been giving a lot of thought to following through with a pet project of mine, especially given recent posts I have been seeing on the Tell Me Thread and Hot Stuff regarding fans interest in the 1969 recordings. I, like a lot of the visitors to this site, am a big, big fan of the 1969 tour (I was a little too young at the time to appreciate and be into the Stones so I never caught them in the flesh). Out of all the many American tours that the Stones have graced us with their presence, I always seem to come back to the 69 tour, especially the shows they played on the east coast at MSG, as the Stones were well oiled by the time they played those three shows on 11/27 & 11/28 which luckily were recorded and found their way on Ya Yas. A true fan can truly hear and appreciate via bootleg recordings (and even the 1969 TRAX dropped on U Tube at the end of 2019 minus all the overdubs that went on Ya Yas), that the Stones were firing on all cylinders-the results of which were some truly great musical performances of Jack Flash, Sympathy, Rambler, Satisfaction, etc.

To refresh your memories, especially newer folks who have joined this group, a little back-story:
In late 2007, I was surfing the various Stones boards (including this one) and happen to be reading many posts bemoaning the fact that Get Yer Ya Yas Out (one of my favorite all time Stones albums) was not released in its entirety, and would it ever see the light of day with expanded tracks? I kept pondering this, knowing that the 40th anniversary of Ya Yas was looming. I, along with other Stones fans who inhabited the (now de-funked) Sister Morphine label fan-site then came up with a not too radical idea of crafting a petition for the re-release of Ya Yas (which I fondly dubbed the Ya Yas Project- you can do a search on this site and put me in as the author and you will find me pitching it) in an expanded format with the extra missing tracks and sets from the supporting artists (we were tickled pink that the 40th anniversary edition also contained a video of the extra missing tracks- at the time I think we purposely did not include requests for any video footage in our petition, thinking that if we asked for too much stuff, Abkco/the Stones might shoot our idea down as too much work). We developed, what I would call a little working group of sorts, with various members taking on various roles given their specialties. In other words, one person who was a great writer, crafted the petition. Another person who was (more techno savvy than me), put the petition on-line. My task was doing promotion, so I went to as many Stones fans boards (including this one) as I could think of to "pitch" the petition, including placing ads in (using my own money) in various music trade publications like Goldmine, etc. and requested readers to sign our petition...We then sent the petition to Abkco and the Stones organization (there was an individual on the Sister Morphine fan site that knew how to get in touch and/or had the address of Chuck Leavell and sent him the petition). Another individual was friendly with Bill German and directly sent him our petition to make sure it got to the right place...In the end, I put in almost a year working on the Ya Yas Project.

Now, unless ABKCO and/or Mick Jagger tells me to my face, I don't believe that the 40th anniversary re-release of Ya Yas was a mere coincidence. Although there are fans who were not completely satisfied with the end result, we pretty much got what was asked for in the petition.

Fast forward to today: What I am proposing is to get a little work group together of like-minded fans on this site who would like to see a commercially released boxed set of all the MSG 69 shows. Many, many fans like myself feel that releasing these shows as is (minus all the vocal overdubs that went into the original Ya Yas release etc) certainly WOULD NOT tarnish the Rolling Stones image. What a better time to honor the occasion of the 60th anniversary by releasing these shows on what was arguably the Rolling Stones best return to the American concert stage (after a three-year hiatus) when the band was playing at its prime.
I have thought about this long and hard, and I know that compared to the 40th anniversary boxed set, that this may be a much harder sell as this is really a “niche” product that would appeal primarily to hard core Stones fans and the powers that be might not give a rat’s ass about it. Also, there is the very real hurdle that the Stones and/or Abkco will continue to feud and stymie any release of 1960’s material. However, if there is agreement among the two parties, the reality is that they can make a quick buck for little effort as these tapes are just sitting in a vault somewhere, ready to be dusted off and released.
I admittedly have selfish reasons for wanting these shows released in their entirety. I am an older Rolling Stones fan with ever increasing health issues (nothing at the moment that is life threatening, just the standard health issues that come with advancing age) who wants to have and hear these shows before I get too disabled (or worse yet, die before I have them in my possession) to enjoy them.
I am at a point in my life where I would like to take the risk and at least say that I tried to make this happen instead of saying the usual should a, would a, couldas and doing nothing. The other thing that I want to state upfront is this: In 2007 or 2008 when I went and pitched the Ya Yas Project, I got a significant amount of blow-back from a small number folks on the various Stones board sites, questioning my motives and basically poo-pooing our petition. My message to you is this: If you don’t believe in or want it, you don’t need to respond to this post or get involved if you feel that strongly. I don’t need the negatively. For the other folks who are reading this, who are going to respond with something like, “Why don’t you ask for El Mocambo or 72 shows?” The answer is, I’m not interested. If different Stones era audio or video is something you feel passionate about, by all means go for it and make it happen. My cause is very specific and direct.
Unfortunately, I cannot take this on all myself, simply because I lack all the skill-sets that are needed to make it happen, and also, it was time consuming. We would have to divvy up tasks. This would require some work and involvement from the Stones fans who are interested in seeing this come to fruition. However, if I don’t get a significant amount of folks to buy into it, I will walk away from this.
Unfortunately, I haven’t kept in contact with some of the major players who were involved in the original Ya Yas petition as the gentleman behind the Sister Morphine releases has long since passed and his site closed down. Therefore, I am proposing a sort of follow-up, whether it be either a new petition, or a letter writing campaign, etc from fellow members of this board.
For those who are interested, I await your responses.

PS- if you want to e-mail me privately, here is my address:
ssigel@rochester.rr.com
Thank you, from Scott Sigel aka Sighunt.
I think this is an awesome idea . I for one can never get enough live and un cut and un filtered live Stones shows in there entirety both in Video ( which is what I prefer ) and audio . This is a noble and most worthy effort I must say . I hate edited and dubbed live releases as I want shows in there entirety including warts and all in audio /visual presentation as that way you can feel like you were there in essence as much as a folly as that sounds . Heck , why not ? Coming on the heels of the Vault series and such .

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: February 16, 2022 21:15

Not sure what help I can be, but I want to help!

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: February 16, 2022 21:22

I can guarantee the powers that be that ANY boxed set of LIVE 1969 will be be purchased by our family at pretty much whatever price they ask.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: February 16, 2022 22:31

timmyj3
I can guarantee the powers that be that ANY boxed set of LIVE 1969 will be be purchased by our family at pretty much whatever price they ask.

Yeah, bring it on -all of it!
I support the idea of a complete MSG with no overdubsthumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 16, 2022 23:57

Are the shows different? Hendrix put out a boxset of all the New Years Eve Band of Gypsys shows at the Fillmore East. But there were plenty of songs not on the original album. It's not like the Stones play tunes differently one night to the next.

Date: February 17, 2022 00:21

24FPS
Are the shows different? Hendrix put out a boxset of all the New Years Eve Band of Gypsys shows at the Fillmore East. But there were plenty of songs not on the original album. It's not like the Stones play tunes differently one night to the next.

The answer to that question is no, other than I'm Free which is tagged on at the end of Under My Thumb on 11/27 and featured again on the first show on 11/28, there is not a lot of variation in the set-list....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-17 00:24 by Sighunt.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 17, 2022 04:12

sir if you were behind getting that ya ya's boxset out then you are a saint amongst stones fans and deserve thanks from myself and fans of music around the world

i wholeheartedly support this idea but am saddened to say i posses no usable skills or resources to assist besides my continuing to cheer you on

also you think it be possible to get baltimore as the bonus in the super deluxe?

and finally i know you said you weren't interested in other shows and i don't mean for this to get in the way of getting the msg shows out

but i just have to throw out that if this is successful in getting them to release these shows i propose that the next campaign should be to get the shows recorded in 65 and 66 for both versions of got live if you want it and charlie is my darling released in there entirety cleaned up and properly mixed into stereo

short of the msg 69 shows and 72-73 these have to be the shows that would appeal the most to us as a collective whole

and like you a lot of the fans who saw these shows are getting older and would surely like to hear these before they can't

Date: February 17, 2022 04:28

also maybe we can convince bv to make this a sticky

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: February 17, 2022 09:06

I do agree but would like to broaden the subject, how about sending the band and Abkco (backed by a substantially huge amount of fans signatures) a simple question: why don't you give people what they want?

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 17, 2022 10:07

I support this idea. Especially the three concerts in New York in a boxset would be a document of music history. And according to some YouTube videos and some bootlegs other versions are even greater than the versions in New York.The guitar sound on this tour is unique. Sed cave (but beware)! No Sam Wheat bullshit, I'm willing to pay double if Sam Wheat doesn't mix the sound.

Date: February 17, 2022 10:43

RobertJohnson
I support this idea. Especially the three concerts in New York in a boxset would be a document of music history. And according to some YouTube videos and some bootlegs other versions are even greater than the versions in New York.The guitar sound on this tour is unique. Sed cave (but beware)! No Sam Wheat bullshit, I'm willing to pay double if Sam Wheat doesn't mix the sound.

well doesn't abcko have a better track record when it comes to remastering/remixing things then stones/universal does?

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: February 17, 2022 10:45

RobertJohnson
No Sam Wheat bullshit, I'm willing to pay double if Sam Wheat doesn't mix the sound.
I bid 3x if Sam Wheat doesn't mix it.

Date: February 17, 2022 14:20

riccardo99
I do agree but would like to broaden the subject, how about sending the band and Abkco (backed by a substantially huge amount of fans signatures) a simple question: why don't you give people what they want?

Riccardo, you sir, are speaking my language! This is the kind of suggestion that I could get behind. I want everyone who is reading this post to please understand something I learned from getting involved in the Ya Yas Project. Unless lots of people get involved (and also I mean representatives from other Stones boards besides this one) as a group to let Abkco and the Stones organization know (either by letter writing or petition, etc) that these kinds of releases are important to us, what we treasure is just going to be lying in the vaults collecting dust...

Sorry to use this borrowed cliche, but it is the only one that comes to mind:

It's takes a village....

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 17, 2022 14:23

ProfessorWolf
also maybe we can convince bv to make this a sticky

Good idea.
How about we ask BV to assist !!!

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: February 17, 2022 18:00

Wow! That IS a great idea! I believe that (almost) every Stones fan realy would like a box like that. I would!

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 17, 2022 21:44

I am a 1969 tour fanatic so anything official from that tour would be welcome but a boxset of the three MSG concerts properly mixed without overdubs is probably my holy grail along with more of the Maysles video from those shows.

If I can get greedy why not throw in the complete Baltimore concert as we know there are mutlitracks for that as well.

In any case I would be willing to help depending on what is needed if time allowed.

Posted by: Ebling ()
Date: February 17, 2022 22:14

Huge fan of 1969. Sign me up.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: February 17, 2022 22:15

Here, here!! I too, think this is a brilliant idea. I also think the video component is a huge part of it. It's been discussed here before, without total agreement, that some Shidoobees of Stonesdoug's group, enjoyed a night at Albert Maysles place where they viewed an entire show's worth of MSG video. It wasn't clear what show(s) was seen as there was a CIA level hush, hush nature to it all, but maybe it's far enough in the past that we can now find out if Lee Harvey Oswald actually did the recording unassisted drinking smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 17, 2022 22:56

Go for it Scott and those who want to help with this project...................................

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 17, 2022 22:58

Can you also petition for any high quality recordings from their greatest Mick Taylor American Tour, 1972

Date: February 17, 2022 23:02

This is the greatest Rolling Stones fan page in the world. If BV makes it a sticky, God knows who reads it .

Date: February 17, 2022 23:23

shawnriffhard1
Here, here!! I too, think this is a brilliant idea. I also think the video component is a huge part of it. It's been discussed here before, without total agreement, that some Shidoobees of Stonesdoug's group, enjoyed a night at Albert Maysles place where they viewed an entire show's worth of MSG video. It wasn't clear what show(s) was seen as there was a CIA level hush, hush nature to it all, but maybe it's far enough in the past that we can now find out if Lee Harvey Oswald actually did the recording unassisted drinking smiley

Several folks have now contacted me on my e-mail who also have requested that we add any unseen Maysles video to the audio package for this potential petition and/or letter.

I have mixed feelings about it. Don't get me wrong, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A COMPLETE CONCERT OF AN MSG SHOW from 69 ON VIDEO, but I feel that adding something else to this project could torpedo it entirely.

The other thing is, how do we even know if there are complete professionally shot versions of Sympathy, Stray Cat, Rambler and Live With Me that may or may not have been shot by the Maysles brothers?

Alluding to your point above, yes, I do remember that there was an event several years ago, where people paid (?) to see a outtakes of Gimme Shelter and apparently were sworn to secrecy about the event.

I know people who habit this board were there. The Maysle brothers have since passed away, so can anybody here spill the beans on what footage they saw??

PS- if anybody can persuade me that a whole concert shot by the Maysles does exist, I will certainly consider that possibility as far as adding this to the proposal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-17 23:35 by Sighunt.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 17, 2022 23:52

Sighunt
shawnriffhard1

Several folks have now contacted me on my e-mail who also have requested that we add any unseen Maysles video to the audio package for this potential petition and/or letter.

I have mixed feelings about it. Don't get me wrong, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A COMPLETE CONCERT OF AN MSG SHOW from 69 ON VIDEO, but I feel that adding something else to this project could torpedo it entirely.

The other thing is, how do we even know if there are complete professionally shot versions of Sympathy, Stray Cat, Rambler and Live With Me that may or may not have been shot by the Maysles brothers?

Alluding to your point above, yes, I do remember that there was an event several years ago, where people paid (?) to see a outtakes of Gimme Shelter and apparently were sworn to secrecy about the event.

I know people who habit this board were there. The Maysle brothers have since passed away, so can anybody here spill the beans on what footage they saw??

PS- if anybody can persuade me that a whole concert shot by the Maysles does exist, I will certainly consider that possibility as far as adding this to the proposal.

You're right Sighunt the aim is the '69 Ya Ya's music from MSG but a request if there is any useful quality footage available for a DVD that won't hurt your project/question

Date: February 18, 2022 03:06

or perhaps the footage from detroit 69 as well

make a nice little bonus and it's not like they can't afford to buy it

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 18, 2022 14:44

West - East coast then back
Oakland - new York- altamont

But as Siggers says...let's focus on one thing!
More likely for success.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-18 14:44 by Eleanor Rigby.

Date: February 18, 2022 18:10

ProfessorWolf
or perhaps the footage from detroit 69 as well

make a nice little bonus and it's not like they can't afford to buy it

True, that would be a nice bonus but based on his history I don't think Mick is paying for anything that won't make him money so not sure there is profit in buying the footage to include in a low volume box set.

How many units did the 40th YaYa's sell and how many do these Vault releases sell in any case, anyone know?

Date: February 18, 2022 18:27

I understand sigs desire to not make this too complicated by also asking for video in an MSG release and I would support however he want to pitch this to ABKCO and the band.

But just as an FYI videojames did post what video he knows is in existence in this thread.

[iorr.org]

Would kill to see any of these videos.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-18 19:05 by oldschool.

Date: February 18, 2022 19:20

I am currently working on a rough draft of a potential petition/letter that I will unveil to this group probably next week as I am on vacation and should have some time to work on it.

After that, I will need volunteers from this group to then post it and/or promote it on other Stones fan boards.

I may scout around again to see if I can advertise in some (reasonably priced) music trade mags. But we'll see where this goes...

PS- I'm being cautiously optimistic (via another thread)that El Mocambo will see the light of day as far as an official release! That would be great news.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-18 19:32 by Sighunt.

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1435
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home