Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
RATING The Deluxe parts of the rereleases
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 11, 2022 17:41

Using the old "Rolling Stone" star ranking system, and ranking only the added tracks as if they were there own album, this is how I'd rank the series of albums so far, sans the original album.

so this is only the extra cuts on each album, as if they were their own release:

**** 1/2 - Some Girls Deluxe - 4.5 stars - a very solid consistent album worthy of it's own release, and on it's own, one of the top albums in the last 40 years.

**** - Goats Head Soup Deluxe - 4.0 stars - some stellar 'new' tracks, Criss Cross, Scarlet, All The Rage.

*** 1/2 - Exile on Main Street - 3.5 stars - a little uneven, but also a bit of 'alright', with a completely bullet-proof single, Plundered My soul pulling it up half a star.

*** - Tattoo You Deluxe - 3.0 stars solid release with some good songs. Nothing standout.

*** - Sticky Fingers Deluxe - 3.0 stars - Alright, nothing bad here. If you didn't have it on the Hot Rocks "Shelley" vinyl, then Worth it for the Clapton Brown Sugar if nothing else.

Re: RATING The Deluxe parts of the rereleases
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 11, 2022 18:05

treaclefingers
Using the old "Rolling Stone" star ranking system, and ranking only the added tracks as if they were there own album, this is how I'd rank the series of albums so far, sans the original album.

so this is only the extra cuts on each album, as if they were their own release:

**** 1/2 - Some Girls Deluxe - 4.5 stars - a very solid consistent album worthy of it's own release, and on it's own, one of the top albums in the last 40 years.

**** - Goats Head Soup Deluxe - 4.0 stars - some stellar 'new' tracks, Criss Cross, Scarlet, All The Rage.

*** 1/2 - Exile on Main Street - 3.5 stars - a little uneven, but also a bit of 'alright', with a completely bullet-proof single, Plundered My soul pulling it up half a star.

*** - Tattoo You Deluxe - 3.0 stars solid release with some good songs. Nothing standout.

*** - Sticky Fingers Deluxe - 3.0 stars - Alright, nothing bad here. If you didn't have it on the Hot Rocks "Shelley" vinyl, then Worth it for the Clapton Brown Sugar if nothing else.

IMHO, the Some Girls release is arguably the best of the bunch- definitely worthy of a 4.5 rating. The bonus disc of the set is a great listen, which features some very strong tracks, just about as good and enjoyable as the original release (even with the additional touch-ups that they did on the second disc for the re-issue). Out of all the five re-releases you noted, the some Girls re-issue is the one I come back to more often.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-12 03:19 by Sighunt.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 11, 2022 18:12

This is tough, because to this day I still can't get used to the very old track with very new overdubs concept.

So one way to see it would be to consider the releases for the quality of the untouched material (or sort of, lets say at least original vocals).

Soup ****
Some Girls ***1/2
TY ***
Fingers **1/2
Exile **

Another way would be to hold my nose and rate the Frankenstein trax

Soup ****
Exile ****
TY ***
Some Girls *1/2
Fingers --

C

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 11, 2022 18:13

I generally agree, though I'd put the Exile cuts a little higher. So Young and Don't Be a Stranger are like sparkling new tracks. I have an advantage in that I'm not familiar with previously unreleased material after 1969 or so. (I have the Black Box release). I don't have to be disappointed when one of my old bootleg faves come on in new form, and it's not what I expected.

Date: February 11, 2022 18:30

***** Some Girls Deluxe
**** Goats Head Soup Deluxe
**** Tattoo You Deluxe
*** Exile Deluxe
*** Sticky Fingers Deluxe

The live concert/tracks on SF make it my favourite when I sum it up, though.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 11, 2022 18:35

DandelionPowderman

Absolutely agree!

C

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: February 11, 2022 18:44

DandelionPowderman
***** Some Girls Deluxe
**** Tattoo You Deluxe
*** Exile Deluxe

Yes, but the complete Leeds concert makes it really a joy!

Date: February 11, 2022 19:05

DandelionPowderman
***** Some Girls Deluxe
**** Tattoo You Deluxe
*** Exile Deluxe

And the reason I didn't give it 5 stars, is that I reserve that to only the top tier...The BIG FOUR, Some Girls & Tattoo You...maybe Aftermath.

But what a solid album. If there were one really big missed opportunity in their career, it would have been to release that as a standalone at some point...not sure about best 'timing' for it. Maybe after Undercover, or better still, after Dirty Work?

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: February 11, 2022 19:18

I'm in the minority but I prefer the Tattoo You bonus disc to the one with Some Girls even though both are good.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: February 11, 2022 19:19

I like the TY bonus. confused smiley

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 11, 2022 19:23

Some Girls for me!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 11, 2022 20:48

I think the Super Deluxes started with Ya-Ya's so if we factor em all in, I'd have to list them in the order of frequency that I listen to them really:

Soup
Girls
TY
Exile
SF
YaYas

Never understood all the love Plundered gets. I think Following The River is superior all the way around. Again different strokes.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-11 20:49 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 11, 2022 21:06

They're all rather mediocre for the most part, and ranking them is like picking from your least favorite cousins.
That said, each has at least one "gift", and as a random pick off the top of my head I'd probably go with Some Girls...or maybe GHS for Criss Cross alone.

Date: February 11, 2022 21:09

Criss Cross is So Divine

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: February 11, 2022 21:13

Ya-Ya’s: ****1/2 - Half a new live album from the same recordings that made one of the best live albums of all time. Unmissable.

Exile: ***1/2 Uneven collection of songs. Frankensteined or not, I like what they did to the tracks. ‘Plundered’ and ‘Following The River’ stands up against the tracks they made during 1971-72. Love ‘I’m Not Signifying’ as well.

Some Girls: ***** - The best of them all. Great songs, works as an album in it’s own right. Every track is made uniformed. Jagger’s overdubs are more subtle here and to great effect.

Sticky Fingers: **** - Again uneven, but the live tracks saves it. Kick-a** versions from the Round House and Leeds. Great outtake of ‘Bitch’ as well.

Goats Head Soup: **** - Works better than it should. Short on new tracks, but the Glyn Johns mixes are actually superior to what they released eventually. The Giles Martin mix is also superior to the original and of course: Brussels Affair.

Tattoo You: *** - Okay collection, but harmed by an awful mix and horrible mastering. It really sounds bad and is compressed to death. There are fine songs like ‘Troubles Are Comin’, but it’s almost unlistenable.

Date: February 11, 2022 21:15

Blueranger
Ya-Ya’s: ****1/2 - Half a new live album from the same recordings that made one of the best live albums of all time. Unmissable.

Exile: ***1/2 Uneven collection of songs. Frankensteined or not, I like what they did to the tracks. ‘Plundered’ and ‘Following The River’ stands up against the tracks they made during 1971-72. Love ‘I’m Not Signifying’ as well.

Some Girls: ***** - The best of them all. Great songs, works as an album in it’s own right. Every track is made uniformed. Jagger’s overdubs are more subtle here and to great effect.

Sticky Fingers: **** - Again uneven, but the live tracks saves it. Kick-a** versions from the Round House and Leeds. Great outtake of ‘Bitch’ as well.

Goats Head Soup: **** - Works better than it should. Short on new tracks, but the Glyn Johns mixes are actually superior to what they released eventually. The Giles Martin mix is also superior to the original and of course: Brussels Affair.

Tattoo You: *** - Okay collection, but harmed by an awful mix and horrible mastering. It really sounds bad and is compressed to death. There are fine songs like ‘Troubles Are Comin’, but it’s almost unlistenable.

I love the bonus version of 100 Years Ago on Soup

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 11, 2022 21:21

The alt. mix of Hide Your Live was also great on GHS deluxe.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 11, 2022 21:34

All get a 4-star for me ... sticky makes it because of the live sticky.

I probably go w/ Exile as my favorite, mainly because of I Ain't Signifying, but Tattoo comes close w/ Troubles a Comin'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-12 21:56 by LeonidP.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 12, 2022 00:21

VoodooLounge13

Never understood all the love Plundered gets.

I was hooked the moment I heard Bill's taut but rubbery bass encircling the whole thing. It sounded like it belonged to the Exile era. I can see where the end product was a little too much like Tumbling Dice. To me it's the best song of all the bonus cuts. To each his own.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: February 12, 2022 01:04

For me, I'd give SG 4 stars - I still listen to Claudine regularly, the best of the bunch to my ears. I still prefer some of the bootlegged versions of the other tracks, however.

3.5 stars go to GHS - love Criss Cross! All The Rage is alright, but never could get much into Scarlett. The remixes/alternative versions of the standard tracks are pretty good though.

3 stars for TY with some hits and misses for me. Was glad to see Drift Away finally get an official release as that was always a favourite bootleg of mine. Some missed opportunity though on what wasn't included.

Perhaps 3 stars as well for EOMS. Interesting alternative versions of the standard tracks but the extras aren't too memorable for me. Plundered My Soul was interesting to hear as a track that hadn't existed previously as a bootleg, though I don't revisit it much these days

2.5 stars for SF, mostly because there were no new tracks added. But the remixes were rather decent for the most part, especially Brown Sugar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-12 01:08 by sf37.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 12, 2022 01:06

24FPS
VoodooLounge13

Never understood all the love Plundered gets.

I was hooked the moment I heard Bill's taut but rubbery bass encircling the whole thing. It sounded like it belonged to the Exile era. I can see where the end product was a little too much like Tumbling Dice. To me it's the best song of all the bonus cuts. To each his own.

I think it is a magical track. Mick does a wonderful work but the true magic - or something he beautifully co-works with - is in the backing track. The way Charlie, Bill and Keith are keeping up the groove is just amazing. That laid-back feel.. Pure sex. I guess back in the early 70's it was business as usual, and yeah, too close to "Tumbling Dice" I guess, but after hearing that again after all these decades was simply mind-blowing... And also like hearing plain and clear what had been 'wrong' or missing with all the stuff for ages... I hadn't heard that great 'new' Stones song since, shit, TATTOO YOU days. And Taylor's melodic 'no bullshitting' lead guitar straight from the start ices the cake... And Jagger, how he sounds like one instrument more, with his accents and all breathing the rhythm like no other white singer does.

One of those moments when hearing why the Stones are above anyone else - no other band can make such a beautiful noise. The song is more like a groove than a song. And probably that's why listening it was like once EXILE. First figuring out 'what the hell is this?', but as listening it more and more, the more capturing and magical it just got. Giving more and more. Finally totally hooked...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-12 01:12 by Doxa.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: February 12, 2022 05:09

DandelionPowderman
***** Some Girls Deluxe
**** Tattoo You Deluxe
*** Exile Deluxe

Yes, this is how I feel exactly. SF is my favorite because of full Leeds '71 and the killer extended 'Bitch', but as for "new" bonus tracks, 'Some Girls' by a country mile and 'Exile' a distant last.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 12, 2022 07:09

Ya Yas. Wow Band on fire on Under My Thumb, I’m Free
Exile. So Divine only misstep
Goats Head Soup. Don’t forget the two Japanese bonus cuts
(Tie)Tattoo You Deluxe. Come to the Ball (Japanese bonus?)
(Tie)Some Girls
Sticky Fingers. Amazing lack of a jam session

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: February 12, 2022 07:31

VoodooLounge13
Blueranger

I love the bonus version of 100 Years Ago on Soup

How could I forget to mention that one?!? It’s the jewel on that disc!

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 12, 2022 11:39

floodonthepage
DandelionPowderman
***** Some Girls Deluxe
**** Tattoo You Deluxe
*** Exile Deluxe

Yes, this is how I feel exactly. SF is my favorite because of full Leeds '71 and the killer extended 'Bitch', but as for "new" bonus tracks, 'Some Girls' by a country mile and 'Exile' a distant last.

It's all about the Roundhouse live tracks for me, Leeds never really did it for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-12 11:44 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 12, 2022 15:25

BowieStone
floodonthepage
DandelionPowderman
***** Some Girls Deluxe
**** Tattoo You Deluxe
*** Exile Deluxe

It's all about the Roundhouse live tracks for me, Leeds never really did it for me.

Out of all the re-issues cited above, it was the Sticky Fingers release that was such a disappointment for me. You had to shell out extra bucks for the super deluxe edition so the Stones could throw us a bone and grace us with the two opening tracks that have been previously missing on various Leeds bootlegs for years. Whoopeee! Big F'ing Deal!

At the same time, they tease us with about half of a superbly recorded show on the bonus disc and arguably better performed live tracks from the superior 71 Roundhouse gig (which I am hoping we'll see a complete version released sometime soon).

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-12 18:25 by Sighunt.

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: February 12, 2022 17:49

my point of view is im glad to have anything to listen to that is new different better quality. i just have what been bootlegged and some of those were butchered from the source
2005 how many quality items did you have voodoo brew stew gimme sheter imax
thank you for all the releases keep them coming ineed more outakes if someone is listening

Date: February 12, 2022 18:00

kkhoranstoned
my point of view is im glad to have anything to listen to that is new different better quality. i just have what been bootlegged and some of those were butchered from the source
2005 how many quality items did you have voodoo brew stew gimme sheter imax
thank you for all the releases keep them coming ineed more outakes if someone is listening

I don't disagree with any of that, but I think it's ok to say 'some releases are better than others', and why. What the heck are we all doing on here other than to hyper-scrutinize every minutia of every utterance and flatulence of this band?

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: February 12, 2022 20:43

Cheers I can't imagine going to Europe for a stones show but I'm thinking about it
Trouble a coming

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 13, 2022 09:09

Goats Head Soup - *****
Tattoo You - ****1/2
Exile ***1/2
Sticky Fingers ***
Some Girls **1/2

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1296
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home