Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Betty Davis
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: February 10, 2022 11:26

I am very sad to hear the news, so fond of her music

Betty Davis, Boundary-Smashing Funk Singer, Dead at 77

Re: OT: RIP Betty Davis
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 10, 2022 11:31

RIP

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 10, 2022 11:34

sad liked her too and just after hearing about syl johnson

this place is starting to feel like a graveyard lately

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 10, 2022 11:34

Only 3 albums, but 3 winners.
"They Say I'm Different"... oh yes, she was.

Rest in power...

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: February 10, 2022 13:57

The Queen of Funk, the one who made discover Jimi to Miles

washingtonpost.com/betty-davis-appreciation/

My favorite song: They say I'm different They say I'm different, as a tribute to a lot of great Blues names.

An other article rollingstone.com/betty-davis

Sorry for the double thread.

OT RIP Betty Davis
Date: February 10, 2022 12:42

Sorry for the double thread, this one can be deleted

The Queen of Funk, the one who made discover Jimi to Miles

washingtonpost.com/betty-davis-appreciation/

My favorite song: They say I'm different They say I'm different, as a tribute to a lot of great Blues names.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-10 13:59 by djgab.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 10, 2022 23:22

RIP

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: February 11, 2022 04:29

I just watched a movie about her life. T"hey say Im different". She was years ahead of her time and that was the issue. She did not conform to what a black female singer should have been. A cross between rock and funk. She was highly sexual for the time and no one knew how to market her. She refused to compromise her music and simply disappeared after 3 or 4 albums. I saw her in Philly and after her opening number
" If I'm in lack I just might get picked up" the audience was in total shock. Dead silence. It was amazing. She would be considered tame by todays standards. Sad story for someone with so much talent. Watch the movie!

Date: February 11, 2022 11:28

Taj Mahal on his FB account facebook.com/tajmahal

"Saddened by the passing this week of one of America’s (and the world’s for that matter) most pioneering, radical and unsung Divas!
I took a moment to reflect on who she was/is and the many things she did, the people in her life she was connected to and inspired and was an iconic example to during her lifetime!
I met her briefly when a tour manager who worked for me, who knew her, brought her back after a show we did in NYC! From that encounter I learned she was personal friends with Miles Davis and Jimi Hendrix! It was she who introduced Miles to Jimi and vice-versa!
Between meeting Jimi and seeing Sly & The Family Stone, one can get how Miles moved forward and embraced contemporary music and musicians with incredible amazing results! What coup for Betty, what a fantastic musical outcome!
She in my opinion brokered the way for Grace Jones, who, again in my opinion, (was born ready to be who she became and do the things she does so well!)
Interesting that they were on Island Records label nearly the same time!
Island Records, a company who definitely took chances and recorded artists the mainstream companies would have never recorded and released!
Betty’s shows were raw, raunchy, full of sly humor and double entendre and absolutely brilliantly inspired!
Definitely not for Casper milk toast or the faint of heart, but truly exciting and creative performance!! A powerful, forceful Woman, a genuine soul whose presence will be missed by those who are just learning about her and those who knew her well!
Peace
Taj"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1371
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home