Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: O. T. Winter Olympics Beijing.
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 7, 2022 15:37

Doxa
I am following the mixed team race of ski jumping (never knew there exist such a race) Sounds like a total fiasco. They keep on disqualifying jumpers (due to having illegal dresses or something) from countries fighting for a medal: Japan, Austria, Germany... Never seen anything like that.. eye popping smiley

Edit: Okay, now Norway out (from a sure silver) ...

- Doxa

What a dramatic race it was! And with so many disqualifications, some biggest surprises in Olympic games so far.

Gold: Slovenia (they were favourite and clearly the best)
Silver: ROC (the first Russian medal in sky-jumping since 1968)
Bronze: Canada!!!!! (first medal ever in sky-jumping - congrats Treacle, SomeTorontoGirl, etc.!)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-07 15:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 7, 2022 15:46

Norway mixed curling team improving a lot from the first two days, now on the winning path. The semi final vs UK today was indeed nerve wrecking, but now we are in the final vs Italy. I just love their tactics and precision!

Bjornulf

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 7, 2022 15:58

Our snowboarders took 2 … and they’re adorable. I guess they’re supposed to seem baked?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 7, 2022 16:19

Doxa
Doxa
I am following the mixed team race of ski jumping (never knew there exist such a race) Sounds like a total fiasco. They keep on disqualifying jumpers (due to having illegal dresses or something) from countries fighting for a medal: Japan, Austria, Germany... Never seen anything like that.. eye popping smiley

Edit: Okay, now Norway out (from a sure silver) ...

- Doxa

What a dramatic race it was! And with so many disqualifications, some biggest surprises in Olympic games so far.

Gold: Slovenia (they were favourite and clearly the best)
Silver: ROC (the first Russian medal in sky-jumping since 1968)
Bronze: Canada!!!!! (first medal ever in sky-jumping - congrats Treacle, SomeTorontoGirl, etc.!)

- Doxa

Ha, that's wild! I just woke up, I'll have to catch that on the replay this morning.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 7, 2022 17:01

There are two big winter sports in Sweden: Cross-country skiing and biathlon. They are the most popular tv-sports to follow here. And they are out of form it seems. They don't seem to master the weather conditions
(windy, cold). Strange it is. Luckily we are doing well in other sports: Skating, giant slalom and x-sports. Three gold so far. I'm particularly proud of Niels van der poel. It was a long time since Sweden did well in skating
(1988, Tomas Gustavsson). Such a beautiful sport.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-07 17:02 by Stoneage.

Date: February 7, 2022 17:54

It's probably the height they don't master so well (same for many Norwegian athletes). Very difficult conditions and hard courses. I doubt it's the snow and the products.

Van der Poel is unique, the best long distance skater the world has ever seen smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-07 18:23 by DandelionPowderman.

OT-Paint it Black
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: February 6, 2022 03:43

Paint it Black was used by an American skater at the Olympics for her short program. Sorry if this is a repeat!

Date: February 7, 2022 23:13

I like Sara Hector's honesty. She said before the start, something like this: " I threw up this morning. I haven't been able to eat for a week now. I'm so nervous."
She kept it together though and won the gold (Giant Slalom). What an effort!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 8, 2022 11:05

Stoneage
I like Sara Hector's honesty. She said before the start, something like this: " I threw up this morning. I haven't been able to eat for a week now. I'm so nervous."
She kept it together though and won the gold (Giant Slalom). What an effort!

Good thing she wasn't competing in the ski jumping, where someone was disqualified for being 300g too light for the suit they were wearing!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 8, 2022 16:42

I couldn't believe it when the guy commentating said that all the disqualifications were because of an 'equipment violation'.
The only equipment they use are ski's.

Date: February 8, 2022 16:48

No, they use special suites which have to meet certain regulations. It all comes down to weight. Lighter athletes can jump further.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 8, 2022 16:57

Here's an article from Yahoo Sports re: the Five Olympic skiers who were disqualified for baggy outfits. The interesting thing is that the suits these jumpers were wearing had apparently been cleared in earlier jump outings.

[sports.yahoo.com]

Date: February 8, 2022 18:27

Sighunt
Here's an article from Yahoo Sports re: the Five Olympic skiers who were disqualified for baggy outfits. The interesting thing is that the suits these jumpers were wearing had apparently been cleared in earlier jump outings.

[sports.yahoo.com]

If they drink or eat too little their suits won't meet the requirements.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 8, 2022 18:46

DandelionPowderman
Sighunt

[sports.yahoo.com]

How crazy and/or OCD is that?

Date: February 8, 2022 21:01

Congrats to Italy in mixed curling. They won all their matches (11). Truly a worthy champion. Sweden snatched a bronze in the end. Congrats to them too. And to Norway's silver of course.

Re: OT-Paint it Black
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 8, 2022 21:57

steffialicia
Paint it Black was used by an American skater at the Olympics for her short program. Sorry if this is a repeat!

That was great. My wife even noticed it!

Date: February 9, 2022 00:40

crawdaddy
I couldn't believe it when the guy commentating said that all the disqualifications were because of an 'equipment violation'.

From today’s Guardian:

Ursa Bogataj and Nika Kriznar, who took gold and bronze in the women’s individual event, helped Slovenia to secure gold alongside Peter Prevc and Timi Zajc. Taking advantage of the chaos, the Russian Olympic Committee claimed the silver medal and Canada, rank outsiders, collected bronze.

Partners in crime? grinning smiley

Date: February 9, 2022 01:02

SomeTorontoGirl
crawdaddy

From today’s Guardian:

Ursa Bogataj and Nika Kriznar, who took gold and bronze in the women’s individual event, helped Slovenia to secure gold alongside Peter Prevc and Timi Zajc. Taking advantage of the chaos, the Russian Olympic Committee claimed the silver medal and Canada, rank outsiders, collected bronze.

Partners in crime? grinning smiley

I think Canada was actually rated 6's and 7's and 9's.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 9, 2022 01:26

tumblin' dice .......

ROCKMAN

Date: February 9, 2022 01:38

Rockman
tumblin' dice .......

I got to Roll U Rock!

Date: February 9, 2022 01:42

Rockman
tumblin' dice .......

Don’t need your jewels…but a bronze is nice!

Re: OT-Paint it Black
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 9, 2022 03:22

Elmo Lewis
steffialicia

That was great. My wife even noticed it!

An American born skater who chose to skate for China.
Quite a bit of criticism for that decision,rightfully so imo.

Also unfortunate, she crashed and burned while skating to it.

Figureskating-China's U.S.-born Zhu inconsolable after team event flop

BEIJING, Feb 6 (Reuters) - A tearful Zhu Yi was inconsolable after nerves and pressure got the better of the U.S.-born Chinese figure skater, whose last-place performance knocked China to fifth place from third in the Beijing Games' team event on Saturday.

Skating to The Rolling Stones' "Paint It Black", Zhu tumbled on her first combination triple flip-triple toeloop jump, crashing into the wall, and bungled her triple loop later, scoring 47.03.
[www.reuters.com]

Date: February 9, 2022 04:51

Even though it is for the evil Bell corporation, this is a pretty funny Olympic ad.

[youtu.be]

(The link for which you likely can’t see if using a Mac)

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: February 9, 2022 06:52

DandelionPowderman
Sighunt

[sports.yahoo.com]

The violation is having a suit that is too big so more air flows through it, holding the jumper aloft for longer.

Date: February 9, 2022 08:14

ChrisL
DandelionPowderman
Sighunt

[sports.yahoo.com]

The violation is having a suit that is too big so more air flows through it, holding the jumper aloft for longer.

All of that's understandable, but they have to have a better system in place than to disqualify competitors wearing the suits they that passed the requirements earlier. This sounds totally stupid. There's an administrative way to handle this, the athlete's shouldn't bear the brunt of this ineptitude.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: February 9, 2022 08:35

treaclefingers
ChrisL
DandelionPowderman
Sighunt

[sports.yahoo.com]

All of that's understandable, but they have to have a better system in place than to disqualify competitors wearing the suits they that passed the requirements earlier. This sounds totally stupid. There's an administrative way to handle this, the athlete's shouldn't bear the brunt of this ineptitude.

Totally agree, but athletes do cheat.

Date: February 9, 2022 08:58

ChrisL
DandelionPowderman
Sighunt

[sports.yahoo.com]

Indeed, but when they get too little time to eat and drink between their first and second jumps their suits get too big.

That's what happened to Halvor Granerud in the men's 90m competition.

They need new rules. Today's rules are unhealthy, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-09 08:59 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 9, 2022 09:20

ChrisL
treaclefingers
ChrisL
DandelionPowderman
Sighunt

[sports.yahoo.com]

Totally agree, but athletes do cheat.

Yeah, but it looks like that this time they wanted to show that there are rules to follow. Seemingly earlier they have had a looser control, so this came as a shock for the athletes. I guess the reason earlier being that, with all respect, women's sky jumping hasn't been that professional or high-level competition yet. So for such a still early stages being form of sports this was as awful publicity as it can be. The Olympics is the only event the race might enjoy bigger attraction. But then again: any publicity is good publicity, or how it goes...

- Doxa

Date: February 9, 2022 10:14

According to the Norwegian female ski jumpers, they were asked to stand in a different way than usual for the check up.

That's a bit weird, as it were the same persons controlling their suits as in the world cup.

Date: February 9, 2022 10:25

DandelionPowderman
According to the Norwegian female ski jumpers, they were asked to stand in a different way than usual for the check up.

That's a bit weird, as it were the same persons controlling their suits as in the world cup.

It is strange indeed. A Finnish person who in the charge of control was asked about it, but he says that he didn't have anything to do with it, since the actual checking in done by female officers (due to intimacy reasons).

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home