Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
O. T. Winter Olympics Beijing.
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 3, 2022 17:30

I know Olympics opening ceremony is tomorrow, Friday February 4th,but just watching USA 5 v Finland 2 women's ice hockey and plenty of action.

Had a look yesterday as well, when they had Great Britain v Sweden Curling competition, in the 'Ice Cube' as they call the stadium, but 15 minutes every now and then is enough for me.

BBC will have good coverage of The Olympics on their channels and as I've just had my knee op done yesterday, will be taking it easy (apart from the physio exercises).

Team GB will do their best and I really hope they will get a few medals. smileys with beer

Re: O. T. Winter Olympics Beijing.
Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: February 3, 2022 19:30

Another Olympics without many spectators. That’s too bad, but the Games will go on. Always enjoy the competition. Lots of Winter Sports make for good viewing.

Date: February 3, 2022 20:47

It's sad how many great athletes who get infected and can't compete...

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: February 3, 2022 22:37

I love the Winter Games! Hoping to see Shaun White win a 4th gold medal.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 3, 2022 23:45

Canadian womens hockey team beat SWitzerland 12-1 this morning. Unfortunately for US womens team, assistant captain Brianna Decker injured her leg and will miss the rest of the Olympics.
With no NHL players playing in the Olympics, the men's hockey won't be as exciting but I'll still be cheering for Canada.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 4, 2022 02:47

Norway is expected to get the most medals. Some folks here are going to be happy!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: February 4, 2022 09:30

rollmops
Norway is expected to get the most medals. Some folks here are going to be happy!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Every day we're losing some of our favourites to covid, though sad smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 4, 2022 10:56

Yeah, the Olympics are soon officially opened, and already a few days done. Personally I have difficulties to orientate myself to following them, since the bloody corona (there is another reason too, but let's not go there). Not that there athletes are dropping off daily (that is also a drag) but since NHL decided not to take part. It has been ages when the best ice hockey players have been able to face each other in national teams, and this tournament was waited so long and so much. Not the least here in Finland, because we have more young talented star-class players in NHL than ever before. Even winning a gold is is secondary to the possibility to see all the biggest stars on ice. Actually now Team Finland has better chances to win a gold - only Team 'Russia' is clearly better on a paper, but they always have the habit to screw up things - but it's not the same.

What goes for all the rest, I guess when the good old cross-skiing races start, I will follow them by old habit - although it is not that interesting anymore, since damn Norway will win all the medals anyhow...winking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-04 11:00 by Doxa.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 4, 2022 11:26

Norway have been predicted to make a record number of 20 gold medals during these winter Olympics in Beijing China by AP News, but that is before covid-19 was taken into account.

Right now we have 3 top candidates in covid-isolation in Seiser Alm Italy, and Jarl Magnus Riiber, the world's best in cross country combined the past three years, just tested positive in Beijing on the Olympic site. It is a nightmare for the athletes, who have been working hard for four years to this very special event.

Still, cancellation would be worse, because there are many who are still able to compete. It's a lottery, who is positive for covid-19, who is not, but let's hope for the best for all nations.

Norway to top medals table in unpredictable Beijing Olympics (AP News Feb 2, 2022)

Bjornulf

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-04 11:30 by bv.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 4, 2022 14:00

Frida Karlsson against Therese Johaug - go Sweden! smiling smiley

Date: February 4, 2022 14:10

Bjorn
Frida Karlsson against Therese Johaug - go Sweden! smiling smiley

Good luck! winking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 5, 2022 17:21

A bad start for Sweden. Congrats to Norway. Seems like tough conditions over there.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 5, 2022 18:25

Seen the highlights of Day 1 here in UK today, and well done to Therese Johaug for an outstanding gold medal win, and Norway biathlon team for their gold medal.smileys with beer

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: February 5, 2022 19:43

The Irene Schouten tompoes / tompouce
( she's from my parents village )

#gold !!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 5, 2022 20:10

On behalf of Canada, I just wanted to apologize to Doxa today.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 5, 2022 20:15

treaclefingers

(Should we send flowers?)

Date: February 5, 2022 20:36

SomeTorontoGirl
treaclefingers

I think if we get a few other people, DG, Paddy, I know there's a few others, we could probably afford a really nice arrangement.

Date: February 5, 2022 20:40

SomeTorontoGirl
treaclefingers

Another lopsided Canada women's hockey win, 11-1 vs Finland. At least in BC the game was on in the early evening so I watched it. The real test is when we play the US.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 5, 2022 21:49

Yep, women's hockey is a one-sided affair. In fact so much so that one could argue whether it belongs in the Olympics or not. It is Canada and USA basically.
The other teams are left behind. I hear now that the associations here (Sweden) will make a big drive for the next Olympics. The problem is money I guess.
Women players can't support themselves playing hockey.

Date: February 5, 2022 22:15

Stoneage
Yep, women's hockey is a one-sided affair. In fact so much so that one could argue whether it belongs in the Olympics or not. It is Canada and USA basically.

Let's not argue, and just keep it in!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 6, 2022 02:03

Dutch TV reporter who was dragged away during live Olympic segment: 'We followed their orders'

Date: February 6, 2022 07:16

treaclefingers

Thank you, very kind of you. But it was just a warming-up game, the result doesn't matter... Let us count the ice-hockey medals when the games are over... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: February 6, 2022 20:10

Doxa
treaclefingers

Thank you, very kind of you. But it was just a warming-up game, the result doesn't matter... Let us count the ice-hockey medals when the games are over... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Sure that's easy for you to say. You won't have to count as high!

Date: February 6, 2022 23:38

Well, Canada's mixed curling team has been disappointing! Defending gold medalists and are now in danger of not even making the medal rounds. They lost to Australia, a team that was previously winless! I honestly didn't even know anyone in Australia curled. I read that their Olympic team trains in Canada, ironically they're coached by the guy they just beat!
Every small town in Canada has an arena and a curling rink! A lot of foreign countries come to Canada to train and get coached here or have hired Canadians to coach them back home. Hopefully we can get our act together and beat Italy in a must win game!

Date: February 6, 2022 23:40

DGA35
Well, Canada's mixed curling team has been disappointing! Defending gold medalists and are now in danger of not even making the medal rounds. They lost to Australia, a team that was previously winless! I honestly didn't even know anyone in Australia curled. I read that their Olympic team trains in Canada, ironically they're coached by the guy they just beat!
Every small town in Canada has an arena and a curling rink! A lot of foreign countries come to Canada to train and get coached here or have hired Canadians to coach them back home. Hopefully we can get our act together and beat Italy in a must win game!

They didn't play great for sure, but what a comeback...from down 7 to a draw in the last end.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 7, 2022 01:29

Lost? In curling? To… Australia?

Oh, FFS, they don’t even have ice. Except in their Fosters, which is needed to mask the taste! This is gonna require some serious trash talking! grinning smiley

Date: February 7, 2022 06:09

Well, Canada lost to Italy 8-7 so now we're officially eliminated from the mixed curling. Pathetic!

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 7, 2022 11:57

Sara Hector! That´s how we do it in Sweden! smiling smiley

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: February 7, 2022 12:41

Ireen Wust from the Netherlands

Olympic speed skating champion.

2006: 3000 meters.
2010: 1500 meters.
2014: 3000 meters.
2018: 1500 meters.
2022: 1500 meters.

2014: Team pursuit.

Date: February 7, 2022 14:44

I am following the mixed team race of ski jumping (never knew there exist such a race) Sounds like a total fiasco. They keep on disqualifying jumpers (due to having illegal dresses or something) from countries fighting for a medal: Japan, Austria, Germany... Never seen anything like that.. eye popping smiley

Edit: Okay, now Norway out (from a sure silver) ...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-07 15:13 by Doxa.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home