Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 1975 vs 1976 Tours
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 4, 2022 14:55

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-04 15:02 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: February 4, 2022 14:58

1975 wins

video: [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-04 14:59 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: February 4, 2022 15:00

Date: February 4, 2022 15:00

Despite:

Date: February 4, 2022 15:02

And

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: February 4, 2022 16:47

Bashlets
I always thought LA 75 was way better than Love You Live

This is the most true statement I have read in years!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 4, 2022 17:00

24FPS
GasLightStreet
LOVE YOU LIVE is a pretty good idea, sans overdubs galore, of 1976, since a majority of it comes from 1976. Only 3 tracks are from 1975.

Given that... the band sounded good yet... lost. A bit long.

As in, overdubs overlooked... fantastically lackluster yet still rocking.

That's all I have to go on, other than whatever 1976 videos on YouTube. Set list wise I'd choose 1976 over 1975.

I have never liked the non-El Mocambo cuts on Love You Live. I felt ripped off in '77. Black and Blue had been a mixed bag. IORR was okay, but not inspired. I really thought Love You Live was signaling the end of their relevance. Then came the great Some Girls, followed by the so so Emotional Rescue. I have sense learned to really like Black and Blue. Maybe I should find a copy of Love You Live and see if it sounds any better now.

Side 4 of LYL is probably my favourite side of any Stones live LP.

Tough, unpretentious, ragged, glorious, loud rock and roll. What’s NOT to love?

The El Mocambo side I’ve always thought as really REALLY nice. But just an oddity from the other 3 sides. I’d LOVE an whole release of the El Mocambo show(s) as a fully fledged, stand alone record. But AS a part of the LYL set, it never, obviously, fit.

Rod

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 4, 2022 19:14

There are so many good/great live albums of the Rolling Stones, meaning that over the past decades I never listed to LYL stadium recordings (after I had listened to them quite a few times in the early days). As someone says, it's a cheaply made compilation. On the other hand I still do listen frequently to the El Mocambo part. It's so much fun listening to that. Crackin Up is my favourite. My mind floats on it cool smiley

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 4, 2022 20:55

75 was better. (My 1st Stones concert.)

I think they sounded a little tired in 76.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 4, 2022 21:46

DandelionPowderman
z
DandelionPowderman
Honky Tonk Women
You Gotta Move
Hot Stuff
Happy
Star Star

I haven't heard better versions of those tunes on other live albums or bootlegs.

Top stuff!

IORR
YCAGWYW

I had IORR on my list at first, but realised it's a 1975-version. It's great anyway thumbs up

For YCAGWYW there are a few 1975-versions I prefer to the LYL version from Paris (although it's very good). This one, for instance: [youtu.be]
Happy was better on L&G 1972and Atlantic City 1989.But I prefer Wood live performances of Tumbling Dice Rocks Off, Star Star.1975 was a great tour.Top 5

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-04 21:56 by Taylor1.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 4, 2022 22:11

The sound mix on LYL is excellent. They had a lot going on around that time sound wise with Billy and Ollie in the band and it brings it all together in way that 75 boots do not (IMHO), and creates a distinct atmosphere and feeling.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-04 22:17 by ryanpow.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: February 4, 2022 23:39

ryanpow
The sound mix on LYL is excellent. They had a lot going on around that time sound wise with Billy and Ollie in the band and it brings it all together in way that 75 boots do not (IMHO), and creates a distinct atmosphere and feeling.

I just never like the sound/mix of Love you Live. It never felt like a live LP to me. When it came out I was disappointed. I always prefered my 75 bootlegs.

Posted by: yearsinthemaking ()
Date: February 5, 2022 02:53

The London shows from feel a little more energetic than the Paris shows to my ears. The 5/26 "Have you seen Keef Standing in the Shadows" is especially good. I just wish there was better soundboard London show

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 5, 2022 07:07

24FPS
GasLightStreet
LOVE YOU LIVE is a pretty good idea, sans overdubs galore, of 1976, since a majority of it comes from 1976. Only 3 tracks are from 1975.

Given that... the band sounded good yet... lost. A bit long.

As in, overdubs overlooked... fantastically lackluster yet still rocking.

That's all I have to go on, other than whatever 1976 videos on YouTube. Set list wise I'd choose 1976 over 1975.

I have never liked the non-El Mocambo cuts on Love You Live. I felt ripped off in '77. Black and Blue had been a mixed bag. IORR was okay, but not inspired. I really thought Love You Live was signaling the end of their relevance. Then came the great Some Girls, followed by the so so Emotional Rescue. I have sense learned to really like Black and Blue. Maybe I should find a copy of Love You Live and see if it sounds any better now.

As a teenager with a turntable and and cassette Walkman, I think of how I got TATTOO YOU as my first ever album, which was absolutely enthralling, possibly thanks to a girl down the street and some at school as well as seeing the Neighbors video on MTV at some point, shortly followed by AC/DC's FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK (an album with a canon on the cover? HELL YEAH!)... and Asia because I recognized a song title from the radio.

In 1983 I heard Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doooooo on the radio a lot... but had no idea what album it was on (if the DJ said it I never heard it); I figured it was a new single. So, to the record store I made my mom take me and I figured out, wow! UNDERCOVER.

Got the album. Gleefully went home and played it. Recognized the video single (at the time, ha ha) and thought, well, that's really different but not the song on the radio even though it was full of doo doo doo doo doos... just the wrong ones.

A little while goes by... GOATS HEAD SOUP shows up for Christmas! I had no idea.

I played it and... there it was! The right doo doo doo doo doo song!

Which, oddly, sent me back to UNDERCOVER. Now having an understanding of detail of what I was listening to, songs like Tie You Up, Pretty Beat Up and All The Way Down jumped out at me. It was a few years until I appreciated GHS in its entirety.

Then I got LOVE YOU LIVE. Wow. Listened to it for months! Found STILL LIFE, about destroyed that... all the while thinking, this is the same band that put out GYYYO! and LYL?

And there you have it: why U and GHS are special albums for me, along with TY. Shortly after that, it was SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES and then REWIND along with STILL LIFE. My dad had LET IT BLEED, GYYYO!, HOT ROCKS and MORE HOT ROCKs. I had listened to those prior to anything I ever got for myself. He loved The Beatles, too, so I had that exposure as well. Great music... but the Stones connected "better".

When I got older I realized... both are great. But damn, that weird year of finding the Stones on my own outside of what my dad had... incredible, really.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 5, 2022 09:28

i found the stones about 25 years after you from my mom's heavily worn childhood copies of flowers and between the buttons

and the first album i got after that was a bigger bang and i was hooked

oh and the song i heard on the radio and couldn't figure out were it came from was weirdly rocks off

ah we've come a long way huhsmiling smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 5, 2022 12:52

The 75 tour was the last tour they played SFTD without any samples and without plink plonk Chuck, rough and dirty. This is the real interpretation of this song. I like 75 and 76 in the same way, Ronnie was on his peak in soloing. Ollie Brown and Billie Preston made essential contributions. Without them no medley If You can't Rock Me / Get Off of My Cloud, a gem in the catalogue.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 5, 2022 15:09

I've always had mixed feelings about the 75-76 tour. For me, it was Jagger's singing and phraseology that got in the way of enjoying recordings of those shows, which IMHO got progressively worse as the tour progressed (given a variety of bootleg recordings I have heard over the years).

Probably, the one show I consistently come back to as a representative sample of a good 75 show that I can enjoy from beginning to end (I wish there was a great soundboard release of this show in its entirety as it was professionally recorded, as parts of it were used for Love You Live) was Toronto 75. It is a great early show from the tour (which eventually turned up as a good sounding audience recording). Very enjoyable.

Regarding Love You Live, that's one live album that never grabbed me, primarily because it doesn't flow right. It is kind of a mish mash affair. The recordings span from 1975-77. As much as I love the El Mocambo side, wouldn't have made more sense to have released El Mocambo as a complete show (or shows) instead of attempting to throw the whole kitchen sink (so to speak) into a two album set?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-05 15:14 by Sighunt.

Date: February 6, 2022 04:15

RobertJohnson
The 75 tour was the last tour they played SFTD without any samples and without plink plonk Chuck, rough and dirty. This is the real interpretation of this song. I like 75 and 76 in the same way, Ronnie was on his peak in soloing. Ollie Brown and Billie Preston made essential contributions. Without them no medley If You can't Rock Me / Get Off of My Cloud, a gem in the catalogue.

Amen

Date: February 6, 2022 06:22

RobertJohnson

Now that's a bonafide truth right there!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 6, 2022 18:41

I look at pre-vault live releases by the Stones as "Samplers" of their live show, not a re creation of the concert experience. If you didn't have access to bootlegs or didn't get tickets to see them, you had to use your imagination to fill in the gaps.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-06 18:50 by ryanpow.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 8, 2022 00:07

RobertJohnson
The 75 tour was the last tour they played SFTD without any samples and without plink plonk Chuck, rough and dirty.

I think the 89 arrangement with the extended guitar solo was a brilliant retake of the song.
In 94 they set the current version of the track (with a brief guitar solo) and that weak arrangement demoted the song from "all-time classic" to "boring and too long" à la Miss You.

Oh well... cool smiley

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: February 9, 2022 12:01

I think both tours are crazy good. Billy is on fire! Ollie too.
Of course they were high and sometimes sloppy. But I love it - Rocknroll!

Hey Negrita from Germany - hot as hell!
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 9, 2022 14:44

I like both

Date: February 10, 2022 07:56

Sighunt
Regarding Love You Live, that's one live album that never grabbed me, primarily because it doesn't flow right. It is kind of a mish mash affair. The recordings span from 1975-77. As much as I love the El Mocambo side, wouldn't have made more sense to have released El Mocambo as a complete show (or shows) instead of attempting to throw the whole kitchen sink (so to speak) into a two album set?

Well, it does now. In 1977 it didn't.

LOVE YOU LIVE was started the fall of 1976. Maybe someone has some info as to why they felt the need to record additional music for the album, at the moment I can't recall, but there's nothing stating such a thing on timewaitsfornoone.com that I can see.

LOL in regard to how it doesn't flow right for you:

What we tried to do is make the sides have to stand up on their own. I mean, 'cause peole aren't going to pay a hell of a lot for a live album. So each side should stand on its own, have a pacing just like the show has a pacing.

Mick Jagger
[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 10, 2022 08:57

GasLightStreet
Sighunt

Well, it does now. In 1977 it didn't.

LOVE YOU LIVE was started the fall of 1976. Maybe someone has some info as to why they felt the need to record additional music for the album, at the moment I can't recall, but there's nothing stating such a thing on timewaitsfornoone.com that I can see.

LOL in regard to how it doesn't flow right for you:

What we tried to do is make the sides have to stand up on their own. I mean, 'cause peole aren't going to pay a hell of a lot for a live album. So each side should stand on its own, have a pacing just like the show has a pacing.

Mick Jagger
[timeisonourside.com]

that's how it always felt to me

kinda like exile in that regard each side has its on feel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-10 08:57 by ProfessorWolf.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home