Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: 2022 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 10, 2022 19:49

Three Dog Night had 21 consecutive Top 40 hits. They are not in The Hall.

One
Try A Little Tenderness
Easy To Be Hard
Eli’s Coming
Celebrate
Mama Told Me (Not To Come)
Out In The Country
One Man Band
Joy To The World
Liar
An Old Fashioned Love Song
Never Been To Spain
The Family Of Man
Black And White
Pieces Of April
Shambala
Let Me Serenade You
The Show Must Go On
Sure As I’m Sittin’ Here
Play Something Sweet (Brickyard Blues)
‘Til The World Ends

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: February 10, 2022 20:24

Do fans really give a sh*t about the Hall of Fame? To me it means nothing but then again I am old and cynical.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 10, 2022 21:39

Captain Teague
Do fans really give a sh*t about the Hall of Fame? To me it means nothing but then again I am old and cynical.
Your sentiment I believe is shared by many . Example being folks will listen to music they enjoy and likewise will see bands and artist that they enjoy live regardless of who says what . I think that's the bottom line . Once upon a time I believe the premise was nice , but with the subsequent induction classes it has shown how meaningless that institution has become . Perfect example being the past several years inductees . The title says Rock & Roll . How do you explain the multi genre inductees ? which have zero to do with the title of this institution . This like so many other things in life has become all about $ and not integrity . You could regain some of that integrity by having years where there is no inductees what so ever . This could be explained by Mr. Wenner (what a fine gent ) by releasing a statement saying no bands or artists have met the guidelines and metrics of being worthy of induction . Heck why not make it harder to get inducted and thus make truly special ? versus who are we going to find to include in this years class . Then there is the "politics" of it all where there are truly artists and bands that belong who have not been inducted and to me that smacks of the payoff not being delivered to Mr. Wenner The above poster mentioned Three Dog Night with there string of hits including 21 top 40 hits . What am I missing here besides the obvious ? Maybe it's time for new blood to come in and take over and bid a graceful goodbye to Mr. Wenner ? How do you explain the New York Dolls not getting in ? The Sex Pistols (who certainly were not my cup of tea at all ) but you can't deny there influence to the burgeoning Punk movement in main stream music ? That is certainly a big swing and a miss . No J. Geils or Steppenwolf ? really ? But Dolly Parton is up for nomination . Doesn't Country Music have it's own Hall of Fame in Music City ? Eminem seriously this has to be a typographical error ? No Jethro Tull ? but Dione Warwick is nominated ( Keep smiling , Keep Shining knowing I will get inducted into Mr. Wenner party ) No John Mayall seriously with the music that his Blues Breakers played ? No Joe Cocker really ? It really makes you wonder what the criteria is beside the most obvious ($) As far as the fan vote goes that is a nice sentiment but I don't trust or believe in it for the obvious reason as the recent classes of inductees proves .

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: February 10, 2022 22:06

More Hot Rocks

One
Try A Little Tenderness
Easy To Be Hard
Eli’s Coming
Celebrate
Out In The Country
One Man Band
Joy To The World
Liar
Never Been To Spain
The Family Of Man
Black And White
Pieces Of April
Shambala
Let Me Serenade You
The Show Must Go On
Sure As I’m Sittin’ Here
‘Til The World Ends

Wow what a list!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 10, 2022 22:20

^

They didn't write most of those songs.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 10, 2022 22:57

Well Elvis didn't write songs and he was the first one in there

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 10, 2022 22:57

Hairball
^

And are any of them familiar to anyone born after the 70’s?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 10, 2022 22:58

..... HHhaaaaaa yeah thats right Nils ...

ROCKMAN

Date: February 11, 2022 00:49

Hairball
^

Neither did Linda Ronstadt and she's in.

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: February 11, 2022 01:25

Todd Rundgren did the right thing- didn't go to the bs induction ceremony-said he was busy.

Date: February 11, 2022 14:26

mrjones
Todd Rundgren did the right thing- didn't go to the bs induction ceremony-said he was busy.
It's because he is ahead of the curve

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: February 11, 2022 19:56

Big Al
Hairball
^

And are any of them familiar to anyone born after the 70’s?

What difference does that make? If you listen to music you would know these songs. Very close minded comment. Rock and Roll wasn’t invented in the 90s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-11 20:48 by Cooltoplady.

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: February 11, 2022 20:42

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is a farce, I find it hard to believe that it's been taken seriously by the media, the fans and even so many musicians.

The entire concept of selection by a chosen few, the award ceremony etc., it is all a betrayal, if not ridiculisation of Rock'n'Roll.

I fully agree with Andrew Loog Oldham: "I think those people basically hijacked the name Rock'n'Roll”

L.A. Times April 2014

Date: February 11, 2022 21:38

TIRED
The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is a farce, I find it hard to believe that it's been taken seriously by the media, the fans and even so many musicians.

The entire concept of selection by a chosen few, the award ceremony etc., it is all a betrayal, if not ridiculisation of Rock'n'Roll.

I fully agree with Andrew Loog Oldham: "I think those people basically hijacked the name Rock'n'Roll”

L.A. Times April 2014
So true ! In the article I really love the reference to Simon Cowell which I find spot on . Great analogy !

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 13, 2022 22:05

Captain Teague

They should've just called it a museum and left it at that.

It's got some cool stuff in it. But soon as you start singling out "hall of famers" it becomes a contest. Art shouldn't be a contest.

Date: February 14, 2022 00:08

kovach
Captain Teague

It's got some cool stuff in it. But soon as you start singling out "hall of famers" it becomes a contest. Art shouldn't be a contest.

There is the museum, which consists of 4 floors and a small walkway with signatures which is the Hall.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 14, 2022 16:10

More Hot Rocks
kovach
Captain Teague

There is the museum, which consists of 4 floors and a small walkway with signatures which is the Hall.

Yes, I've been there twice and quite enjoyed it.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 14, 2022 16:27

kovach
Captain Teague

They should've just called it a museum and left it at that...

I proposed the name "The Moderately Successful & Somewhat Lengthy Career of Fame" but I have not heard back from them yet. I'll post regular updates!

sad smileyRe: OT: 2022 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 14, 2022 16:33

More Hot Rocks

One
Try A Little Tenderness
Easy To Be Hard
Eli’s Coming
Celebrate
Out In The Country
One Man Band
Joy To The World
Liar
Never Been To Spain
The Family Of Man
Black And White
Pieces Of April
Shambala
Let Me Serenade You
The Show Must Go On
Sure As I’m Sittin’ Here
‘Til The World Ends

Many less worthy acts are already in there.... sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-14 16:34 by Elmo Lewis.

Re: sad smileyRe: OT: 2022 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame
Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 15, 2022 01:43

I'd be pleased if the Rolling Stones withdrew from the Hall. I bet Bill Wyman would be happy to write a good statement.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 14, 2022 17:45

Dolly Parton has removed herself from consideration:

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 14, 2022 18:06

Short of endorsing DEVO(haha), this is one of the finest gestures I've ever seen.....

Date: March 14, 2022 18:16

bye bye johnny
Dolly Parton has removed herself from consideration:

[www.instagram.com]

Wow that's a class act. I wish Joan Jett would remove herself along with Madonna.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 14, 2022 18:16

How gracious of her.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: March 18, 2022 15:08

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 19, 2022 01:00

It was dumb to assume they would let her take back the induction. These guys are morons, the Sex Pistols wanted to refute their induction and Jann inducted them anyway. Axl Rose requested he not go in with the rest of Guns N Roses, they inducted him anyway. The Hall does what they want, regardless of what the artists want, and swing their big dicks around and now hilariously its about stuff that doesn't even make sense. And then they put devil horns to show "yeah, we're cool!" Its like the coolest guy in school who doesn't realize everyone hates them, or does and just tries to dilute themselves otherwise.

Date: April 2, 2022 14:44

Devo on Rock Hall nomination, the true meaning of 'Whip It,' and what Jagger really thought of their 'Satisfaction' cover

Lyndsey Parker
April 1, 2011

The B-side of the “Whip It” single featured a cover of the Rolling Stones’ “(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction,” one of the most radical remakes of all time. But Devo had always had the support of various classic rock artists — for instance, Davie Bowie was instrumental in helping them land a record deal, and they later made the movie Human Highway with Neil Young — so perhaps it’s unsurprising that Stones were totally on board with Devo’s cover. Their version even had the one and only Mick Jagger doing his famous chicken dance.

“Back in those days, when you did a rearrangement like that, you had to get permission from the writer to be allowed to do it. And we wanted to put it on our album, so Gerry and I went to New York and we went to the Rolling Stones’ manager's office in Manhattan,” Mothersbaugh recalls. “And Jagger showed up and listened to it. And when he was about halfway through the song, he got up and started dancing around the room…”

“…like Mick Jagger,” Casale interjects.

“He did a very good impression of himself,” Mothersbaugh laughs. “And I read somewhere once where he said that our cover was his favorite Rolling Stones cover.”

While the above-mentioned doubters who thought Devo were a joke band probably assumed Devo were poking fun at the Stones, Mothersbaugh and Casale insist that was never the case.

“Because we got a reputation of being smart-ass or disrespectful, people thought we were ‘taking the piss’ out of the song. But that's not true at all,” Casale clarifies. “That was probably with us, as it was with millions of people, the penultimate rock song ever written. We thought it was incredible. We were kind of crazy to take it on, in a way, but we were fearless. So, we did it.”

“We were updating it. It was 10 years from the song originally coming out. And so, we just updated it,” adds Mothersbaugh. “We were in this room, a storage room for a car wash, and the snow was about three feet deep outside. We were freezing. And so, we're all wearing coats and gloves while we're playing. And [keyboardist/rhythm guitarist] Bob Casale started playing this little riff, and everybody started filling in, and we put the lyrics to ‘Satisfaction’ to it.”

Full interview > [www.yahoo.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 2, 2022 21:43

"The B-side of the “Whip It” single featured a cover of the Rolling Stones’ “(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction,”

The actual sentence from the article reads:

"Some editions of the “Whip It” single featured a B-side of an earlier released cover, of the Rolling Stones’ “(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction”

Devo's Satisfaction was originally released in 1977 as an A-side as one of their first singles - three years prior to Whip it from 1980.
They also played it live on SNL in 1978, coincidentally one week after the Rolling Stones appearance on the show.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 2, 2022 23:49

mrjones

WTH is Todd doing in the HOF? He had like one kind of hit record. The rest of it was cult stuff.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 3, 2022 07:26

24FPS
mrjones

WTH is Todd doing in the HOF? He had like one kind of hit record. The rest of it was cult stuff.

Sometimes I don't know what to feel..when I hear stuff like that.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-04 03:26 by loog droog.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home