Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: 2022 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame
Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: February 2, 2022 23:52

DGA35
bye bye johnny
Stoneage
95 percent US/CA bands, 5 percent British and 0 percent from the rest of the world it seems.

Fela Kuti was Nigerian.

I've never heard of this person.

I think they should change the name to Music Hall of Fame because alot of the nominees over the years have nothing to do with rock music. Dionne Warwick and Dolly Parton are great but definitely not rock.

How old are you? Imagine having never heard of Fela Kuti. Your attitude perfectly sums up the naivety and ignorance of many on this site.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 3, 2022 00:14

Bastion
DGA35
bye bye johnny
Stoneage
95 percent US/CA bands, 5 percent British and 0 percent from the rest of the world it seems.

Fela Kuti was Nigerian.

I think they should change the name to Music Hall of Fame because alot of the nominees over the years have nothing to do with rock music. Dionne Warwick and Dolly Parton are great but definitely not rock.

How old are you? Imagine having never heard of Fela Kuti. Your attitude perfectly sums up the naivety and ignorance of many on this site.

I'm 55, live near Vancouver. I've heard of all the other bands mentioned but never heard of Fela. Perhaps popular in Africa and Europe?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 3, 2022 00:51

Bastion
DGA35
bye bye johnny
Stoneage

Fela Kuti was Nigerian.

there's no need to insult people

the answer to ignorance is knowledge

i'm 29 and only heard of fela kuti a couple years ago and since then have come to greatly enjoy the man and his music

really cool artist dga35 you should check him out

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: February 3, 2022 01:07

By letting 'fans' vote, it's become a popularity contest, and not artists deserving honor for making a lasting influential impact on music. Sure, the more popular a band is, (ie. the more 'hits' they've had) the wider their potential reach of influence, but bands like The New York Dolls, although not chart toppers, had a huge influence on other bands like The Sex Pistols, who, in turn, changed the world almost as much as The Beatles did.

Same with Fela Kuti. He basically invented afrobeat in Nigeria in the 70's, which had a huge impact on the rest of Africa, and eventually the world, and is revered socially/politically as much as Bob Marley, and James Brown musically, even though he never really charted in the western world. (I saw his son Seun Kuti with his dad's original band, Egypt 80, and that was the deepest groove shit ever!).

So it's come back down to the average putz top 40 radio listener to decide who belongs in a 'rock' museum, because they remember it from high school or heard in the supermarket. The fact that it has to be a contest at all just makes it all the more demeaning.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 3, 2022 03:06

mosthigh
other bands like The Sex Pistols, who, in turn, changed the world almost as much as The Beatles did.

No. Not even close.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 3, 2022 06:25

Here's to Mitch Ryder, a most exciting rock performer. He should be in before many.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 3, 2022 11:03

Not yet Village People?

What's the problem with the Hall of Fame folks?

- Doxa

Date: February 3, 2022 20:48

MC5
NY Dolls
Fela Kuti
Eminem
Eurythmics
Dolly Parton

if it were up to me.

but it will prob be
Lionel Richie
Dionne warwick
Duran
Judas Priest
Beanatar

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 3, 2022 21:07

ProfessorWolf
Bastion
DGA35
bye bye johnny
Stoneage

Fela Kuti was Nigerian.

i'm 29 and only heard of fela kuti a couple years ago and since then have come to greatly enjoy the man and his music

I'm 57, live in the U.S., have been to several hundred concerts, own maybe 1200 albums, have never heard of this person either. Not saying he isn't good or worthy, just unfamiliar.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 3, 2022 21:26

Maybe the NY Dolls and Dolly Parton could go in as a team (so could Dolly's breasts) - The New York Dollys

J. Geils and Steppenwolf need to be in there. Many need to be taken out.....

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 3, 2022 21:59

I think it's time to close the whole thing down, including the building.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 3, 2022 22:41

YEAH wheel out all the bad guys
and rename it The Rock & Roll Hall Of Shame

ROCKMAN

Date: February 3, 2022 22:57

Rockman
YEAH wheel out all the bad guys
and rename it The Rock & Roll Hall Of Shame

Good plan Rockman, I'd show up to see that happen.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 3, 2022 23:08

Yeah get some action in the joint ....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 3, 2022 23:15

Rockman
Yeah get some action in the joint ....

I'll bring a bullhorn, the drink needs to be stirred.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: February 3, 2022 23:50

The New York Dolls & MC5 should have been in 30 years ago.
No Motörhead AGAIN. Things a Joke, the Sex Pistols handled it well.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 3, 2022 23:55

Paddy

Sad that no original Motorhead members are still alive. Hey Paddy, saw Motorhead in 1982 at the Kerrisdale Arena in Vancouver, which I recently found out was the last concert held there. This was just after Fast Eddie quit the band so I was thinking who's this red haired guitarist (Brian Robertson). They had played Kerrisdale the summer of 81 opening for Ozzy. I didn't go but 3 of my friends saw it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 3, 2022 23:57

kovach
ProfessorWolf
Bastion
DGA35
bye bye johnny
Stoneage

Fela Kuti was Nigerian.

I'm 57, live in the U.S., have been to several hundred concerts, own maybe 1200 albums, have never heard of this person either. Not saying he isn't good or worthy, just unfamiliar.

From what I see, the only person exhibiting any 'attitude' here is Bastion.

I haven't heard of this person either and it doesn't mean I'm displaying any 'attitude'.

Have you heard of DOA, Slow, Skinny Puppy? Whether you have or haven't has got nothing to do with attitude, just exposure to these artists.

The term 'ignorant' isn't even appropriate because it's used so dismissively and implies stupidity.

Play nice.

Date: February 4, 2022 01:41

treaclefingers
kovach
ProfessorWolf
Bastion
DGA35
bye bye johnny
Stoneage

Fela Kuti was Nigerian.

I haven't heard of this person either and it doesn't mean I'm displaying any 'attitude'.

Have you heard of DOA, Slow, Skinny Puppy? Whether you have or haven't has got nothing to do with attitude, just exposure to these artists.

The term 'ignorant' isn't even appropriate because it's used so dismissively and implies stupidity.

Play nice.

my use of the word ignorance was only used to imply that dga35 didn't know about fela not that he was stupid

sorry if it came out that way

Date: February 4, 2022 01:47

also found this from maccartney about hearing fela kuti for the first time from fela's wikipedia page

In 2021, Hulu released a six-episode documentary entitled "McCartney 3, 2, 1," in which Paul McCartney is quoted as saying of a visit to see Fela Kuti at the African Shrine, Kuti's club outside of Lagos, in the early 1970s: "The music was so incredible that I wept. Hearing that was one of the greatest music moments of my life."

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 4, 2022 01:54

ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
kovach
ProfessorWolf
Bastion
DGA35
bye bye johnny
Stoneage

Fela Kuti was Nigerian.

Play nice.

my use of the word ignorance was only used to imply that dga35 didn't know about fela not that he was stupid

Thanks and no it didn't come out that way Prof, sorry to imply that you intended anything other than what you posted.

Date: February 4, 2022 02:08

treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
kovach
ProfessorWolf
Bastion
DGA35
bye bye johnny
Stoneage

Fela Kuti was Nigerian.

Play nice.

Thanks and no it didn't come out that way Prof, sorry to imply that you intended anything other than what you posted.

that's okay just glad that off the way i intended

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 4, 2022 06:16

kovach
ProfessorWolf
Bastion
DGA35
bye bye johnny
Stoneage

Fela Kuti was Nigerian.

I'm even older and wouldn't be familiar with Kuti if someone from South Africa hadn't come into our life in the states. I've seen his son Femi in concert and it was a gas. I want to look into recordings Fela did with Ginger Baker. Fela seems like a fascinating person.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 5, 2022 19:16

Is it too late for artists from the 60's?

[variety.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-05 23:23 by loog droog.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 9, 2022 21:49

Top 5 in current fan vote results:

- Eminem
- Duran Duran
- Pat Benatar
- Dolly Parton
- Eurythmics

[vote.rockhall.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 9, 2022 23:45

Fan vote winner only accounts for one vote in the nomination for that artist. So it means very little.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 10, 2022 00:46

We Are DEVO >grinning smiley<

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 10, 2022 02:05

For me counts if they put another new dimension in music

This is my vote goes tooooo............

Kate Bush
Rage Against The Machine

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 10, 2022 03:33

Devo
Rage Against The Machine
Beck
New York Dolls
MC5

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: February 10, 2022 04:10

DGA35
Paddy

Sad that no original Motorhead members are still alive. Hey Paddy, saw Motorhead in 1982 at the Kerrisdale Arena in Vancouver, which I recently found out was the last concert held there. This was just after Fast Eddie quit the band so I was thinking who's this red haired guitarist (Brian Robertson). They had played Kerrisdale the summer of 81 opening for Ozzy. I didn't go but 3 of my friends saw it.

Great you caught them with Robertson though, he got ragged on a bit but Another perfect Day is a great album and apart from the shorts he was great onstage.

You must have caught Ozzy around the time Randy Rhoads died?

I saw Motörhead 8-10 times over the years, twice here at the vogue and once in Abbotsford. I loved that band live, always a great night. They’re the Loudest band I’ve seen apart from My Bloody Valentine.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home