Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 15 of 16
Re: Rolling Stones Licked Live In NYC
Posted by: Georges ()
Date: June 23, 2022 19:42

The sound of the Licked Live in NYC (DVD + 2CD) is very disappointing. It is inacceptable.
Bass is almost inaudible. High notes strain ears. It tires out.
Years ago, the sound of the first release of Four Flicks DVD was much better.
And El Mocambo 1977 is perfect.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: June 23, 2022 19:50

It’s a pity that the whole Four Flicks isn’t available on bluray.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 24, 2022 00:29

Georges
The sound of the Licked Live in NYC (DVD + 2CD) is very disappointing. It is inacceptable.
Actually, it is easy to figure out the differences in EQ department using audio analysis software and tracks from this release and Live Licks (2004). There are handful of tracks from the same concert.

For example, for Gimme Shelter. Dynamic Range is 6 both for 2004 and 2022. Both versions are brickwalled. However, 2004 version is louder, peak value is at -0.01dB, while for 2022 it is at -0.95dB.

The trick is in EQ department. 2004 version has more power below ~400Hz and above ~3kHz. Which means, 2022 version with respect to 2004 is midrange-high midrange centered. In 2022 bass, lower midrange as well as presence and brilliance were rolled off.

Human hearing is most sensitive to 2-4kHz range (higher midrange). Thus, bust in these frequencies could be most unpleasant listening experience. And they did it for 2022 remaster winking smiley. Although, this version is OK in mp3 and on cheap headphones.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: June 24, 2022 00:56

ironbelly
Georges
Actually, it is easy to figure out the differences in EQ department using audio analysis software and tracks from this release and Live Licks (2004). There are handful of tracks from the same concert.

For example, for Gimme Shelter. Dynamic Range is 6 both for 2004 and 2022. Both versions are brickwalled. However, 2004 version is louder, peak value is at -0.01dB, while for 2022 it is at -0.95dB.

The trick is in EQ department. 2004 version has more power below ~400Hz and above ~3kHz. Which means, 2022 version with respect to 2004 is midrange-high midrange centered. In 2022 bass, lower midrange as well as presence and brilliance were rolled off.

Human hearing is most sensitive to 2-4kHz range (higher midrange). Thus, bust in these frequencies could be most unpleasant listening experience. And they did it for 2022 remaster winking smiley. Although, this version is OK in mp3 and on cheap headphones.
Can it be that this refers to the cd edition? At first listen the blu-ray seemed to be fine

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: June 24, 2022 05:15

It's a pity they didn't release one of the club shows from the 2002 (Boston Orpheum, NY Roseland, LA Wiltern)-2003 (Stockholm Cirkus) tour instead of this one.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 24, 2022 06:08

It’s a pity Light The Fuse has never seen a proper release.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 24, 2022 06:31

cimaz
It's a pity they didn't release one of the club shows from the 2002 (Boston Orpheum, NY Roseland, LA Wiltern)-2003 (Stockholm Cirkus) tour instead of this one.
Frankly I don't know if I even want to hear anymore shows considering what they did to this one.

Posted by: bcbud ()
Date: June 24, 2022 07:26

My 3-LP white vinyl copy arrived. While the sound quality is good and the performance is fairly decent latter day Stones, the physical manufacture of the vinyl is very disappointing. An ugly scratch scarred the beginning of Side 2 (for the first dozen rotations), crackles and pops are audible throughout all three records. The records are pressed slightly off-centre so that the stylus moves laterally as the records are played. I ordered a replacement but the surface noise is almost as bad on the replacement copy. The lack of quality control with today's vinyl is appalling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-24 07:31 by bcbud.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 24, 2022 11:32

Whale
ironbelly
Georges

Can it be that this refers to the cd edition? At first listen the blu-ray seemed to be fine
I was referring to:
2004 Live Licks CD
2022 Licked Live in NYC (DVD+2CD combo), track was taken from CD.
I just compare the same track from 2022 24bit/48kHz digital download. The EQ profiles for 2022 Hi-Res and 2022 regular CD are the same. Hardly believe they did something special for blue-ray.

Look, there are tons of factors that affect perception of the music - audio system, surrounding, person's state of hearing, physical state, mood etc. If you found it is OK - good for you.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 1, 2022 11:48

Have y'all tried to listen to the DVD with earphones? It sounds great! It's much more fun to have the complete concert as the flow takes you properly back to the Licks Tour.

I would like to state that I find the arena shows of 2002-03 WAY better than the No Security shows of spring 1999 as I prefer the Fender Twin attack of 02-03 to the more distorted sound of 99 and 05/06/07.

In my humble opinion, the first 4-5 songs in those arena shows of 02-03 are the best thought out ones they've ever done:

1. SFM

2. Start Me Up (as in Sweden and Australia, when Keith skipped YGMR and opted for IYCRM in the 2nd spot it served the show well as YGMR should not be the 2nd song as it is not as good as SMU or IYCRM and non-hardcore fans will look up the IORR album when they come home home after hearing IYCRM in the 2nd or 3rd spotthumbs up).

3. If You Can't Rock Me

4. Don't Stop

5. Monkey Man

...and the icing on the cake, to always use Dice as the last one before the introductions....

It comes too early when played in the 3rd or 4th spots...smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-01 12:02 by MadMax.

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: July 4, 2022 19:18

I´ve been only able to listen to it on spotify and it doesn´t sound good. I love this show and I´m really curiuos of how it would sound on CD in my living room stereo..

freddyscholtz@gmail.com

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 5, 2022 12:56

Got to hand it to Darryl: the intro to Monkey Man is probably the best one on any live recording.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 5, 2022 15:25

bcbud
My 3-LP white vinyl copy arrived. While the sound quality is good and the performance is fairly decent latter day Stones, the physical manufacture of the vinyl is very disappointing. An ugly scratch scarred the beginning of Side 2 (for the first dozen rotations), crackles and pops are audible throughout all three records. The records are pressed slightly off-centre so that the stylus moves laterally as the records are played. I ordered a replacement but the surface noise is almost as bad on the replacement copy. The lack of quality control with today's vinyl is appalling.

Got my 3 LP fluro blue German set today. Immaculate pressing. Sounds great. But the sleeve LP 3 came in was torn about an inch on the edge where the edge of the record pressed against it during shipping. That’s a Bugga. But the records themselves? Nice.

Rod

Posted by: elmod ()
Date: July 17, 2022 19:35

Does anyone know how many colors there are from the vinyl editions? I have so far 1) Black, 2) White (UK) 3) Blue (Germany) 4) Red (France)

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: July 17, 2022 19:51

elmod
Does anyone know how many colors there are from the vinyl editions? I have so far 1) Black, 2) White (UK) 3) Blue (Germany) 4) Red (France)

Black & white: worldwide not UK Only.
Blue: Germany different webshops.
Red: FRance, FNAC Only.

Date: July 17, 2022 20:07

UrbanSteel
elmod

Thanks!

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: July 17, 2022 20:18

elmod
UrbanSteel
elmod

Thanks!

You're welcome.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: July 17, 2022 20:54

VoodooLounge13

Right !!!!

She's So Cold
Infamy
Get Up Stand Up
Mr. Pitiful
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Back Of My Hand...

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: July 17, 2022 20:55

UrbanSteel
elmod
UrbanSteel
elmod

Thanks!

You're welcome.

I read that the blue and red ones are only 1000 copies each, but I don't know if it's true

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 17, 2022 21:27

Ricky
VoodooLounge13

Right !!!!

She's So Cold
Infamy
Get Up Stand Up
Mr. Pitiful
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Back Of My Hand...
An interesting but quite rusty performance.

Date: July 17, 2022 22:39

Ricky
UrbanSteel
elmod
UrbanSteel
elmod

Thanks!

You're welcome.

I read that the blue and red ones are only 1000 copies each, but I don't know if it's true
Both are still available.
[www.fnac.com]

[www.jpc.de]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-17 22:47 by elmod.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 18, 2022 06:57

Ricky
VoodooLounge13

Right !!!!

She's So Cold
Infamy
Get Up Stand Up
Mr. Pitiful
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Back Of My Hand...

It is from the ridiculous BANG tour. I bought THE BIGGEST BANG, watched it once, set it on a shelf. Awful. All of it. That tour, like DIRTY WORK, should be eliminated from their history.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 18, 2022 13:29

GasLightStreet
Ricky
VoodooLounge13

Right !!!!

She's So Cold
Infamy
Get Up Stand Up
Mr. Pitiful
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Back Of My Hand...

It is from the ridiculous BANG tour. I bought THE BIGGEST BANG, watched it once, set it on a shelf. Awful. All of it. That tour, like DIRTY WORK, should be eliminated from their history.

Well Worried About You from BA 2006 is the best officially released version ever. Beats El Mocambo and Paris 03 easily. Ronnie's on fire!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 18, 2022 14:54

GasLightStreet

I'm tempted to agree with you. After the magnificent Four Flicks, The Biggest Bang DVD set was quite the climatic let down. Like you, I watched it once, then put it straight on the shelf. Despite being present at four shows, it's not a tour of have much nostalgia for. I far preferred the proceeding Licks Tour, and, more recent shows, like Hyde Park #1

Date: July 18, 2022 15:32

StonedRambler
Ricky
VoodooLounge13

Right !!!!

She's So Cold
Infamy
Get Up Stand Up
Mr. Pitiful
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Back Of My Hand...
An interesting but quite rusty performance.

Nonetheless, I'd love to have a physical release of this digital only show. I loved all the covers they did on the ABB tour, tho I only heard Get Up and Night Time.

Date: July 18, 2022 15:37

GasLightStreet
Ricky
VoodooLounge13

Right !!!!

She's So Cold
Infamy
Get Up Stand Up
Mr. Pitiful
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Back Of My Hand...

While the DVD release might be a letdown compared to Four Flicks, the tour holds a special place with me for a couple of reasons: 1. it was their last full-fledged World Tour, and 2. (most importantly), it was the only time that I actually got to act like a groupie and follow them around. Most of my concerts are from that tour - opening night at Fenway (something I'd wanted to do as well), Hartford, Albany, Hershey, Twick 1, Foxborough (opening night of US leg 2), MSG 2, Louisville, KY. And Aside from KY, where I only got 1 new song live, I was still adding quite a few songs to my list of songs heard live. And let's not forget the monstrous stage!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-19 17:14 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 19, 2022 13:50

I am enjoying this show much more than I thought I would. Nice set list, they actually play quite good and I think the sound is actually really good. Likely the last show were Wood still played quite decently.

Mathijs

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 19, 2022 17:15

Much better release that i expected.i like it.
Imho the weakest release is the bridges in argentinoa

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: July 19, 2022 18:18

KeithNacho
Much better release that i expected.i like it.
Imho the weakest release is the bridges in argentinoa

It does have a Bob Dylan / Mick Jagger duet though

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 19, 2022 18:53

That duet is, imho, very forgetable.
My two favourite artists in a bad day.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 15 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1935
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home