Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 14 of 16
Re: Rolling Stones Licked Live In NYC
Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: June 15, 2022 23:27

CYHMK has always been one of my favorite songs. I always wanted them to play it live. When they started playing it live in '03 and '04 I kind of understood why they didn't play it live for so many years. You kind of get the idea they don't like the song as well as fans do. In 2015 when they were doing the different Sticky Fingers Songs in rotation someone pointed out that the second half of the song is mainly Taylor and Keys with Charlie keeping time. With Bobby gone and Taylor not on tour....not really a fun one for them to play live.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: June 16, 2022 03:32

TumblinDice76
CYHMK has always been one of my favorite songs. I always wanted them to play it live. When they started playing it live in '03 and '04 I kind of understood why they didn't play it live for so many years. You kind of get the idea they don't like the song as well as fans do. In 2015 when they were doing the different Sticky Fingers Songs in rotation someone pointed out that the second half of the song is mainly Taylor and Keys with Charlie keeping time. With Bobby gone and Taylor not on tour....not really a fun one for them to play live.
Its nice that we had some versions with both in 2013.

I really like Ronnies solo on this MSG show. Its got tension and feel. But ive still yet to find the ultimate live version.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 16, 2022 04:05

Surprisingly the only track so far that I've been digging is CYHMK. Daryl actually does pop through albeit thin and stringy.

The sound may be growing on me hard to tell. It's still worthy listen for the performance. Still a shame the sound doesn't entice you to come back.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: June 16, 2022 04:38

TumblinDice76

I think they could of done it starting in 1989. In 78 81,82 I don't think they could get past a song with more than 3 chords.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: June 16, 2022 06:43

I agree about the sound. After a couple listens it doesn't sound that bad. Much better then Copa. The first listen it did sound like they were playing in a cave though.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: June 16, 2022 13:52

TheBlockbuster
rebelhipi
I wonder why they choose the Amsterdam gig for the bonus tracks. There was some sloppy versions of Star Star and I Just Wanna Make Love With You.

Street Fighting Man was good at least. I think it's nice to see widescreen footage from 2003 and would've preferred to get the full Amsterdam show instead of the old rehashed HBO broadcast in 4:3 format... But maybe the show was too sloppy overall.

Would also have preferred something new instead of another messed up re-release.

Problem with the Amsterdam gig was that Keith screwed up the Brown Sugar intro (beyond post production repair).
Also Mick's voice got tired during the second half of the show.

But surely there must be many other Licks-tour shows they could've released instead of the HBO show. Hopefully some of them will be released further on.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-16 13:56 by EasterMan.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 16, 2022 16:58

Ah really spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[youtu.be] drinking smiley

EasterMan
TheBlockbuster
rebelhipi

Problem with the Amsterdam gig was that Keith screwed up the Brown Sugar intro (beyond post production repair).

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: June 17, 2022 06:58

I've listened to a number of grabs from the tracks at [www.youtube.com]

I can't get over how awful the sound is. It's so thin, like somebody's turned up the treble and turned off the bass. Mick's voice sounds distant a lot of the time. It reminds me of those audience recordings that almost always have their own natural limitations. It's like listening to it from an old transistor radio.

As just one example, CYHMK, at [www.youtube.com], hasn't got a patch on the quality of it in Four Flicks that has so much more depth.

I haven't been able to arrive at a decision to buy this one, particularly because it's only 4 more NYC songs and a few extras on top of what I already have in Four Flicks. Can anybody say something that would convince me to buy it? eye rolling smileysad smileyconfused smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 17, 2022 07:15

The mix is a bad joke. You're occasionally reminded that you're listening to "iconic material" when things like the shrieks right after the first SFM chorus come through. Not truly a new mix, just the stuff you know messed up.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 17, 2022 07:48

rebelhipi
TumblinDice76

I really like Ronnies solo on this MSG show. Its got tension and feel. But ive still yet to find the ultimate live version.

You never will beyond the album version.

Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: June 17, 2022 10:46

GasLightStreet
rebelhipi
TumblinDice76

You never will beyond the album version.

I reckon I can second that. F'n brilliant. thumbs up

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: June 18, 2022 00:56

The 2003 CYHMK performance is stunning

Posted by: andreas ()
Date: June 18, 2022 01:26

Watched the whole NYC Bluray today - awesome perfomance and great bonus stuff. They are on fire @ MSG - just as i remember them later on At wembley arena august 2003. God bless the rolling stones .
Bobby Keys & Lisa Fisher … mindblowing . Thanx for re- releasing this great gig. Not the worst mix Sam Wheat has done either ..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-18 09:08 by andreas.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: June 18, 2022 03:23

stonesman87

. Can anybody say something that would convince me to buy it? eye rolling smileysad smileyconfused smiley

2 words - the extras. As someone who went to all 3 Boston Licks shows, I especially really loved the Orpheum footage (best of the 40 Stones shows I have seen - so far) and the Tip of the Tongue Doc is GREAT. Go for the blu-ray (assuming U have one).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-18 03:25 by DEmerson.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 18, 2022 03:27

Tip of the Tongue is part of it? And there I was wondering why it's not on their official YT channel anymore

Date: June 18, 2022 03:52

Nikkei - yep. Dona’t think I had seen it before. Them rehearsing Slave may be worth the price of admission alone.

Date: June 18, 2022 04:32

Not to mention - the 3 Amsterdam xtras are awesome.

Date: June 18, 2022 04:58

EasterMan
TheBlockbuster
rebelhipi
I wonder why they choose the Amsterdam gig for the bonus tracks. There was some sloppy versions of Star Star and I Just Wanna Make Love With You.

Street Fighting Man was good at least. I think it's nice to see widescreen footage from 2003 and would've preferred to get the full Amsterdam show instead of the old rehashed HBO broadcast in 4:3 format... But maybe the show was too sloppy overall.

Would also have preferred something new instead of another messed up re-release.

But surely there must be many other Licks-tour shows they could've released instead of the HBO show. Hopefully some of them will be released further on.

Has that ever been on YouTube?

Date: June 18, 2022 05:13

GasLightStreet
EasterMan
TheBlockbuster
rebelhipi

Brown Sugar from Amsterdam:

Full concert in lesser sound quality (with Mick's funny reaction to Keith's mistake)

Date: June 21, 2022 17:19

Did anyone order this from Badlands in the U.K?

Not got mine yet from them for some reason.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 21, 2022 18:17

EasterMan
GasLightStreet
EasterMan
TheBlockbuster
rebelhipi

Brown Sugar from Amsterdam:

Full concert in lesser sound quality (with Mick's funny reaction to Keith's mistake)

Is it really Keith's mistake? To me it sounds like Charlie's coming in off-beat.

Date: June 21, 2022 18:46

retired_dog
Is it really Keith's mistake? To me it sounds like Charlie's coming in off-beat.

Charlie comes in off-beat but Keith makes the first mistake when he starts the intro at the 5th fret instead of the 12th fret and proceeds to restart the intro, which throws Charlie off.

Similar thing happened in Spielberg 2017 when Keith took too long to change between the 12th and 5th fret which threw Charlie off. If Keith just played the intro as a normal guitar player it would never have been any problem.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-21 18:50 by EasterMan.

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: June 21, 2022 21:39

the next release Hollywood 2021 will have the 4K format

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 22, 2022 01:46

mick64
Is this reliable info or just speculating?

Date: June 22, 2022 08:49

StonedRambler
mick64
Is this reliable info or just speculating?

A question mark is lacking, probably.

Date: June 22, 2022 09:25

retired_dog

Keith screwed up.

Date: June 22, 2022 09:29

stonesman87

I can't get over how awful the sound is. It's so thin, like somebody's turned up the treble and turned off the bass. Mick's voice sounds distant a lot of the time. It reminds me of those audience recordings that almost always have their own natural limitations. It's like listening to it from an old transistor radio.

As just one example, CYHMK, at [www.youtube.com], hasn't got a patch on the quality of it in Four Flicks that has so much more depth.

I haven't been able to arrive at a decision to buy this one, particularly because it's only 4 more NYC songs and a few extras on top of what I already have in Four Flicks. Can anybody say something that would convince me to buy it? eye rolling smileysad smileyconfused smiley

Nope. Waste your money freely, though! They're counting on you!

Date: June 22, 2022 09:32

EasterMan
retired_dog

Charlie comes in off-beat but Keith makes the first mistake when he starts the intro at the 5th fret instead of the 12th fret and proceeds to restart the intro, which throws Charlie off.

Similar thing happened in Spielberg 2017 when Keith took too long to change between the 12th and 5th fret which threw Charlie off. If Keith just played the intro as a normal guitar player it would never have been any problem.

Wow!

Both are pretty bad! Bad enough!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 22, 2022 09:33

GasLightStreet
stonesman87

Nope. Waste your money freely, though! They're counting on you!

yeah you know amidst amazing stuff like Elmo, they're 're-releasing' this and Copa. I don't get it other than the 'cash grab' argument.

If they really want to flood the market, which I'm not sure is wise because it dilutes the 'product value', at least focus on things that haven't recently already been released - though you can make an argument that things released 20 years ago AREN'T RECENT - so there's that.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 23, 2022 07:43

stonesman87

I can't get over how awful the sound is. It's so thin, like somebody's turned up the treble and turned off the bass. eye rolling smileysad smileyconfused smiley

That's a perfect description of youtube audio quality. The CD sounds much better in comparison. The mix may be a matter of taste but what surprised me is how clearly the bass can be heard throughout the whole album. My guess is the bluray must sound even better (bought only the 2-CD version).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-23 07:44 by kowalski.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 14 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home