Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 13 of 16
Re: Rolling Stones Licked Live In NYC
Posted by: spunky ()
Date: June 12, 2022 13:49

Ricky
BlueTurns2Grey
Sorry, if it's written before. I recognised, that "Extreme Western Grip" is a lot longer, 6:43, than the Four Flicks version, which was 3.05 and edited at the end.

Interesting !!
I asked this question before but they didn't understand me... "Tip of the Tongue Backstage with All Down The Line from the Orpheum Theater": is it a full version of All Down The Line live at Orpheum Theater?
Yes it is a full version of All Down The Line

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 12, 2022 14:01

Is the bonus IJWMLTY from Amsterdam the same setting like in Twickenham? Were these shows identical down to the shirts?

Date: June 12, 2022 14:11

Maybe someone figured that releasing this stuff could drive up the resale value of Four Flicks? In terms of nostalgia one could get a better kick from folding out that one anyway.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: June 12, 2022 14:17

Nikkei
Is the bonus IJWMLTY from Amsterdam the same setting like in Twickenham? Were these shows identical down to the shirts?

Yes. First plan was to record the Amsterdam show for dvd release. If you look proberly at the Twickenham dvd you also see shots from the Arena mixed in

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: June 12, 2022 18:54

Mabru
Nikkei

Yes. First plan was to record the Amsterdam show for dvd release. If you look proberly at the Twickenham dvd you also see shots from the Arena mixed in

Was that derailed by Keith and Ronnie being completely out of it for Amsterdam?

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: June 12, 2022 23:27

BlueTurns2Grey
Ricky
BlueTurns2Grey
Sorry, if it's written before. I recognised, that "Extreme Western Grip" is a lot longer, 6:43, than the Four Flicks version, which was 3.05 and edited at the end.

Interesting !!
I asked this question before but they didn't understand me... "Tip of the Tongue Backstage with All Down The Line from the Orpheum Theater": is it a full version of All Down The Line live at Orpheum Theater?

I bought the DVD+2CD set, so I don't have "Tip of the Tongue Backstage from the Orpheum Theater". I didn't know about this BlueRay bonus, when I ordered the DVD. Hopefully someone else will compare this.

Anyway: thanks for the info on Extreme Western Grip.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 13, 2022 01:19

BlueTurns2Grey

Is it really or did they just combine it with "Well Well"?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 13, 2022 05:51

yeababyyea
GasLightStreet
Haven't read through much lately but the new YouTube of SFM reveals something interesting that is not on FOUR FLICKS (as well as "the official" until recently) - Keith botching a guitar line going into the chorus.

It was obviously fixed for the box set release.

There's a few fixes like that on Four Flicks. Basically removing sloppy playing, and replacing with cleaner playing from the same song.

First chorus of Brown Sugar has some sloppy playing by Keith, but on Four Flicks they fixed it by copy pasting the first clean riff of the chorus.

Or from the previous show, which they recorded audio and video of.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 13, 2022 11:35

After a first listen, got to agree with those who complain about the sound.

Just don’t understand. Bass, vocals and Keith’s guitar are perfect. Ronnie is too low in the mix when not playing leads, and Charlie sounds as if recorded from outside the MSG!

That said, great concert, and great memories: I was there, my first concert in the US, wild times!

C

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: June 13, 2022 11:42

retired_dog
BlueTurns2Grey

Is it really or did they just combine it with "Well Well"?

"Extreme Western Grip" is longer, "Well Well" is a seperate song with 3.00 min. It's not a combination of both tracks.

Date: June 13, 2022 11:44

liddas

Just don’t understand. Bass, vocals and Keith’s guitar are perfect. Ronnie is too low in the mix when not playing leads, and Charlie sounds as if recorded from outside the MSG!

That said, great concert, and great memories: I was there, my first concert in the US, wild times!

C

That's how it was on most of their live releases back then, too. It's surprising that they didn't correct this, as Ronnie's playing is quite good.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: June 13, 2022 12:21

I think Keith's playing is good on this release, he still sounded like he knew what he was doing. Fast forward to 2006/2007 and his playing is more sporadic and unpredictable. Mick's vocals are fantastic and Charlie is really tight. Great show with many killer versions!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-13 12:25 by EasterMan.

Date: June 13, 2022 12:25

EasterMan
I think Keith's playing is good on this release, he still sounded like knew what he was doing. Fast forward to 2006/2007 and his playing is more sporadic and unpredictable. Mick's vocals are fantastic and Charlie is really tight. Great show with many killer versions!

There are some horrible mistakes, though (If You Can't Rock Me, CYHMK).

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: June 13, 2022 12:28

DandelionPowderman
EasterMan
I think Keith's playing is good on this release, he still sounded like knew what he was doing. Fast forward to 2006/2007 and his playing is more sporadic and unpredictable. Mick's vocals are fantastic and Charlie is really tight. Great show with many killer versions!

There are some horrible mistakes, though (If You Can't Rock Me, CYHMK).

Yea there are mistakes here and there, but overall he still sounds like he's in tune with the rest of the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-13 12:32 by EasterMan.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 13, 2022 16:58

DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

That's how it was on most of their live releases back then, too. It's surprising that they didn't correct this, as Ronnie's playing is quite good.

It doesn't help that the guitars on this version are panned way left and way right.

Quite some time that I haven't listened to the Live Licks DVD. Curious to listen how it compares

C

Date: June 13, 2022 17:02

liddas
DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

It doesn't help that the guitars on this version are panned way left and way right.

Quite some time that I haven't listened to the Live Licks DVD. Curious to listen how it compares

C

I never liked the Live Licks-mix. However, I loved the sound of the Four Flicks-release.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: June 13, 2022 18:53

I'm addicted to the groove Charlie had on this tour, and Mick sounds so powerful. Even though the guitar playing might not be as good as on earlier tours, I still prefer this to most 90's shows. Voodoo Lounge-tour sounds soft in comparison.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 13, 2022 23:44

Now I'm worried what they'll do to St. Louis 97 if that ever comes out again

Date: June 14, 2022 00:14

But you don't have to throw it out because it's rereleased. Thinking of that show I remember they sounded sort of bombastic but I also seem to hear a constant drone of artificial crowd noise that never really stops. There you have one that actually could be improved.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 14, 2022 00:28

Justin
Now I'm worried what they'll do to St. Louis 97 if that ever comes out again

Yea they really messed up the sound on this one. If I want to revisit this show I will stick to the HBO broadcast bootleg. It's sounds really good and the audio mix was Emmy nominated.

St. Louis is well mixed although I wish Ronnie was bit louder and as Nikkei says the crowd noise is annoying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-14 00:29 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: June 14, 2022 02:30

Jumping in late on this one. Is there a valid, historical reason for issuing this show? The Stones don’t get much more generic than they did at this point in their history.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 14, 2022 06:28

rbk
Jumping in late on this one. Is there a valid, historical reason for issuing this show? The Stones don’t get much more generic than they did at this point in their history.

First off, it was already released.

Second off, it's the end of the 1997 era. As in, 1997-2003. They were just as good in 2003 as they were in 1997 and both, and all, are better than 1994-95.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 14, 2022 11:10

rbk
Guess it was the simplest way to fulfill their contract obligations.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: June 14, 2022 18:24

ironbelly
rbk
Guess it was the simplest way to fulfill their contract obligations.

It would appear so.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: June 14, 2022 21:24

spunky
Ricky
BlueTurns2Grey

Interesting !!
Yes it is a full version of All Down The Line

Thanks for the info !!!!!!!!

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: June 14, 2022 21:26

Some of the songs are now available in 4 different official audio mixes:

1. HBO Broadcast
2. Four Flicks
3. Live Licks
4. Licked Live in NYC

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: June 15, 2022 14:36

Just watched the dvd last night.
Its one of my favorite 2000s concerts for sure. Maybe even the top.

I compared the audio mix with Live Licks, i find its no too bad. Not the best ever but good enough. Probably the mix on Four Flicks was the best.

Live Licks sounds too compressed and too sterilized. This one is better but a bit much reverb and the horns sounds a distorted.

Any way great release.
I wonder why they choose the Amsterdam gig for the bonus tracks. There was some sloppy versions of Star Star and I Just Wanna Make Love With You.

Posted by: laf848 ()
Date: June 15, 2022 14:39

I really like this release. Sounds good to me. The setlist is great in my opinion. This is on my playlist along with El Mocambo 1977. I am in Stones heaven right now. What a catalog of studio and Live Concert Recording's.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 15, 2022 17:02

rebelhipi
I wonder why they choose the Amsterdam gig for the bonus tracks. There was some sloppy versions of Star Star and I Just Wanna Make Love With You.

Street Fighting Man was good at least. I think it's nice to see widescreen footage from 2003 and would've preferred to get the full Amsterdam show instead of the old rehashed HBO broadcast in 4:3 format... But maybe the show was too sloppy overall.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 15, 2022 23:05

I don't like the CYHMK version at all. Ronnie is non-existent, Mick's harmonica fails to make up for the absence of the guitar solo from the unrivalled studio version with Mick Taylor. Ronnie's short late solo is a mess.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 13 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home