Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 16
Re: Rolling Stones Licked Live In NYC
Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 17, 2022 09:37

Me neither. Do we talk about real HD in terms of higher resolution or just about widescreen here? Because Twickenham was recorded in widescreen, but I don't know if also in higher resolution.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: April 17, 2022 11:37

Some Licks-shows were recorded in widescreen, but probably not in HD. Not sure if any shows 1994-1999 were recorded in widescreen? The first Stones show I can recall recorded in HD was Saitama 2006.

If there's any shows 1994-2005 recorded on film or in HD then it would be nice to have them released.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-17 12:19 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 17, 2022 17:02

StonedRambler
Me neither. Do we talk about real HD in terms of higher resolution or just about widescreen here? Because Twickenham was recorded in widescreen, but I don't know if also in higher resolution.

I'm not sure. I was thinking wide-screen/HD.

Date: April 17, 2022 18:24

exilestones
StonedRambler

It's not necessarily the same. While the HD standard has a 16:9 widescreen format and the SD standard a 4:3 format there are also widescreen formats possible in SD.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: April 17, 2022 19:15

yeababyyea
Some Licks-shows were recorded in widescreen, but probably not in HD. Not sure if any shows 1994-1999 were recorded in widescreen? The first Stones show I can recall recorded in HD was Saitama 2006.

If there's any shows 1994-2005 recorded on film or in HD then it would be nice to have them released.

Yep we are probably stuck with 4:3 standard definition video for all shows 1994-1999. Saitama 2006 was the first HD broadcast ever for a Stones show. Probably it will be released on blu-ray sooner or later, but I hope not since it's already available in great quality as bootleg and a pretty boring show.

Date: April 17, 2022 21:17

The reason why upscaled SD video on Blu-ray CAN look better than SD video on DVD is that it makes a difference if you upscale it first and then compress the video (Blueray) or if you let the already compressed video upscale by your TV (DVD). Also compression algorithms of bluray are more subtle in terms of possible artifacts then those of DVDs. If that difference is notable and matters depends on several factors including your TV. On my TV the difference between a DVD and a upscaled SD Blueray definitely matters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-17 21:18 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 18, 2022 02:15

StonedRambler

On my TV the difference between a DVD and a upscaled SD Blueray definitely matters.

Due to the Video data-rate of the SD-BluRay - for instance the 2021 re-release of Copacabana 2006 uses the full 40 GB of the SD-BluRay and has hence an appropriate Video data-rate which looks better.

Date: April 19, 2022 01:52

Another release of something we already have and not much extra.

Sad.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: April 19, 2022 02:21

StonedRambler
exilestones
StonedRambler

It's not necessarily the same. While the HD standard has a 16:9 widescreen format and the SD standard a 4:3 format there are also widescreen formats possible in SD.

Rambler from Saitama is great, Keith wound back the clock on that one!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 19, 2022 02:48

georgemcdonnell314

Sad.

There is a demand and there is demand. With this one I can only think that there is a certain fanbase that actually is taught to need releases like this.

But who cares. If it only makes someone happy, that's cool. That's all that is needed. Everything is 'justified' (like a fair business deal needs any justification, no, it does not. No one is forced to buy this product). And besides, we all gonna die sooner or later.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-19 02:52 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 19, 2022 05:57

Doxa
georgemcdonnell314

Sad.

There is a demand and there is demand. With this one I can only think that there is a certain fanbase that actually is taught to need releases like this.

But who cares. If it only makes someone happy, that's cool. That's all that is needed. Everything is 'justified' (like a fair business deal needs any justification, no, it does not. No one is forced to buy this product). And besides, we all gonna die sooner or later.

- Doxa

Well and I've weighed in before on how interesting I find it that the band does these releases that sell in the very low thousands, meaning how much can they possibly make? Or the record company?

And it just struck me that is the strategy. In a world where most people don't buy physical releases anymore, a very few do, so what you cannot make in volume on a single release with a low margin, you increase that margin and you do multiple releases/limited releases.

Yes, you're selling to the same few thousand people each time but they don't care about that.

A band like the Stones, at this stage in their career are unlikely to have a mammoth hit again so the physical release or rerelease is the way to go. Sell a few thousand at exceptionally high prices, and then move on to the next one.

I think they must have noticed that the limited vinyl they released for Voodoo Lounge, Stripped and Bridges to Babylon had the prices for those soar. They must have realized there was a market in 'rare', and decided to do a bunch of 'rare' stuff. Red coloured, clear coloured, speckled, white, yellow, translucent green, orange, this concert, that concert.

Amazing how the business fights to stay alive. And for the band they probably aren't pulling all that much from it, even still, compared to the tours but what the heck, it keeps their name out there.

Anyway maybe this is all pretty obvious but now I finally get it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 19, 2022 07:22

UMG is doing this, not the Stones, although the Stones ie Promotone BV, the Stones, are licensing whatever.

It's possibly an antiquated modality of being a record label: make A, put out B, get C. After that, who cares.

It also gives Bravado and Eagle Rock (UMG) new material to put in places like Target and Walmart, Amazon etc.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: April 19, 2022 12:22

Apparently there are just enough Stones fans who buy this blindly to make this kind of easy cash-in releases profitable. I wonder how many of them actually play these releases, when I hear people say they're even buying multiple versions of them (2CD+BR, boxset, vinyl in all the color variations ect).

Date: April 19, 2022 12:40

ribbelchips

I wonder how many of them actually play these releases, when I hear people say they're even buying multiple versions of them (2CD+BR, boxset, vinyl in all the color variations ect).

Completists do not play these releases - it has to stay in the shrink-wrap to preserve the mint condition .... smiling smiley

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: April 19, 2022 13:05

I just wonder if the oversaturation of all these vinyl releases will diminish the collectors value in the future.

A sealed No Security vinyl is now worth 10x more than you paid for it in 1998. But I doubt a sealed "Licked Live" will be worth much more than today's retail price in the future.

Date: April 19, 2022 13:16

RaiseTheKnife
I just wonder if the oversaturation of all these vinyl releases will diminish the collectors value in the future.
Hopefully. It's absolutely ridiculous and stupid for what prices people are selling those old releases only because they have been sitting sealed on their shelf for decades. But even more ridiculous that people are paying these prices

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 19, 2022 13:42

ribbelchips
Apparently there are just enough Stones fans who buy this blindly to make this kind of easy cash-in releases profitable. I wonder how many of them actually play these releases, when I hear people say they're even buying multiple versions of them (2CD+BR, boxset, vinyl in all the color variations ect).
I buy them up as fast as they come out and I can't remember the last time and it has to be several years indeed that I have watched/listened to one of these releases . Heck being ambitious for me would be even taking off the plastic wrapping that they come in when brand new . Just eyeballing stuff over the weekend I seen at least a half dozen of these Stones releases unopened . Oh well life goes on smiling smiley

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 19, 2022 15:04

Bought Rio but haven’t watched it. The sound from just streaming it was atrocious as well as Miami 1994. I did buy the Japanese version for Salt Lake City show and probably watched 2 or 3 songs from that. I still find it hard to believe that they didn’t film more of the 1975 shows from LA or NYC.

Posted by: IsakSun ()
Date: April 19, 2022 15:14

Bashlets
Bought Rio but haven’t watched it. The sound from just streaming it was atrocious as well as Miami 1994. I did buy the Japanese version for Salt Lake City show and probably watched 2 or 3 songs from that. I still find it hard to believe that they didn’t film more of the 1975 shows from LA or NYC.

Is the japanese version of Salt Lake City the same as the us/eu version?

Date: April 19, 2022 15:50

IsakSun

Is the japanese version of Salt Lake City the same as the us/eu version?

Yes - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] , [TheRollingStonesShop.com] - (Japanese Bonus was the Rio-Documentary).

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: April 20, 2022 12:07

Anyone know what show Satisfaction is from in this clip? Maybe the Amsterdam show?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-20 12:14 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 20, 2022 21:45

I bet they make money off these releases , or else why bother going thru the effort ? I just seen the Licked Live in NYC on the EMAIL from RS.com . I checked my usual big box (Walmart ) and it is not on there site yet , which EL Mo is . That's who I use for all my media releases , as they are fast and reliable .

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 20, 2022 22:04

TheGreek
I bet they make money off these releases , or else why bother going thru the effort ? I just seen the Licked Live in NYC on the EMAIL from RS.com . I checked my usual big box (Walmart ) and it is not on there site yet , which EL Mo is . That's who I use for all my media releases , as they are fast and reliable .

I'll bet it's because the whole model has flipped. Tours used to be loss leaders, with manageable ticket prices. It was a promo tool to push physical vinyl releases, where the real money was. (Plus churn up more radio play royalties for Jagger/Richards).

Physical product now keeps the band in the press to promote tours. I remember when Prince gave away a copy of Musicology to people attending his shows. Since there aren't any new songs on El Mocambo, or NYC, they'll probably release a new single to freshen up their tired war horse setlists.

Posted by: INDIANO ()
Date: April 20, 2022 23:15

One of the best Jumpin' Jack Flash ever

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 21, 2022 16:57

Rolling Stones Four Flicks Best Buy Promo DVD

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: April 21, 2022 17:05

Don't Stop from Licked Live in NYC:
[youtu.be]

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: April 21, 2022 17:14

spunky
[youtu.be]

How convenient the Four Flicks version is still up on their youtube channel for easy comparsion:

Four Flicks:

Licked Live:

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 21, 2022 17:35

RaiseTheKnife
spunky
[youtu.be]

How convenient the Four Flicks version is still up on their youtube channel for easy comparsion:

Four Flicks:

Licked Live:

Well...
Muffed, compressed, mid-ranged, guitar-focused, bass reduced, echo added.
But this is crappy youtube sound the real one could be different, although I doubt.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: April 21, 2022 17:40

ironbelly

Well...
Muffed, compressed, mid-ranged, guitar-focused, bass reduced, echo added.
But this is crappy youtube sound the real one could be different, although I doubt.

This new didn´t reached the 720p neither (never 1080), a little blurry, ihope Bluray will be better...

Fortunately they delete those horrible spheric take effects and brings better new ones!

Date: April 21, 2022 20:34

RaiseTheKnife
spunky
[youtu.be]

Four Flicks:

Licked Live:

Amazing how the always manage to let the re-release sound worse than the Original. You would think they would learn from it one day but every time a new release comes up it's the same.

At least the guitars are louder to name something positive...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-21 20:36 by StonedRambler.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home