Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 16
Re: Rolling Stones Licked Live In NYC
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 14, 2022 15:25

I've heard that about some releases and black vinyl editions actually being worth more than colored, because the fad is so geared toward the colored these days, that black vinyl editions of some albums are made in less numbers. Crazy that would seem, but personally, I try and buy a colored version of any of the newer stuff. If I could have caught any of the CS9 releases, I would have grabbed all those at the time of release to have yet another version of them on a colored vinyl.

Since I've decided to go back and obtain a vinyl catalog of actual, original releases, those will all be on black vinyl. With the releases, I know some of the ones I've bought have been on black, but for say TY and GHS, not only do I want the alternate cover versions, but those seem to coincide with the clear vinyl versions, which is my favorite for some reason of all the color versions. I do also sometimes think about the rarity of things. For instance, for this release, I'd probably want to get either the German or French version, since those will seem to be more rare - perhaps the German, since the French is available on 3 different country sites? Not sure. The only one that I ever wanted to buy in multiple colors was Copacabana, because I just loved all 3 versions. Unfortunately the CS9 one is long gone and fortune from 3rd parties.

I also want the CS9 Honk version, as I love the unique cover that it has. There's really no rhyme or reason to what I'll buy. For instance, I'm hoping to get one of the glow in the dark More Hot Rocks, but since the wear in not so good, I won't ever be playing it, but that one I will open to see the cool color, and to see if it really works.

Typically, I wait a lot of times to buy anything vinyl - sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't. But often the prices do seem to come down, and then it's not QUITE as bad. This worked for Some Girls, and seems to be working for GHS SD, as well as the colored version of Copa.

But yes, it can get VERY pricey trying to build out a collection and decide which version to get of anything.

I must say, I've not been overly enamored with the cover choices of the last few fault releases. When, the series first started, I thought it was really coolly designed. This one, in particular, seems to have just been thrown together. I think it's the weakest cover by far.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 14, 2022 17:55

Article & price-overview on [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 14, 2022 19:06

Irix

Article & price-overview on [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .
Thank You Kindly Irix for your due diligence in providing us all the details , which is very kind of you smiling smiley

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: April 14, 2022 20:33

2CD + DVD 25,99
[www.saturn.de]

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: April 15, 2022 02:10

Well I know the 'Tip Of The Tongue Documentary'.

What's the 'Tip Of The Tongue Boston Backstage' then? Really something new?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 15, 2022 04:54

Terrible artwork once again, but not surprised based on the weak artwork of their recent past.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 15, 2022 06:31

rebelhipi
I never bought the Four Flicks boxset. So this is a no brainer to buy.

Lets see if theres anoter release from this era coming.

A no brainer would be to buy either a used copy of Four Flicks for about $7 USD (including shipping), or brand new for $21.99 USD.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: April 15, 2022 12:05

Is there anything better on a SD bluray than on a DVD (apart from the uncompressed audio)?

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: April 15, 2022 12:34

wiredallnight
Is there anything better on a SD bluray than on a DVD (apart from the uncompressed audio)?
You get the documentary Tip Of The Tongue and Tip Of The Tongue Boston Backstage as a bonus.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: April 15, 2022 12:44

wiredallnight

The original resolution is still the same (even though upscaled) so it will never look like HD quality. But on a blu-ray there is room for a lot higher bitrate which means the video is less compressed. It might not make big difference but on a 55" 4K TV the SD blu-ray will probably look better than the old dvd.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-15 12:47 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 15, 2022 13:05

wiredallnight
Some blu-ray discs have better sound quality. When available i always get the blu-ray

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 15, 2022 13:09

24FPS
rebelhipi
I never bought the Four Flicks boxset. So this is a no brainer to buy.

Lets see if theres anoter release from this era coming.

A no brainer would be to buy either a used copy of Four Flicks for about $7 USD (including shipping), or brand new for $21.99 USD.

thumbs up

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: April 15, 2022 13:12

I doubt that. 720p or 480p on DVD will look exactly the same as 720p or 480p on Bluray. Yes, it's faster and it has a highter storage capacity, but when the data on both discs is the same, you won't see a difference on your TV.

As for the artwork: I kinda like it actually.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: April 15, 2022 13:24

wiredallnight

In this case more content

Date: April 15, 2022 13:27

ribbelchips
I doubt that. 720p or 480p on DVD will look exactly the same as 720p or 480p on Bluray. Yes, it's faster and it has a highter storage capacity, but when the data on both discs is the same, you won't see a difference on your TV.

As for the artwork: I kinda like it actually.

720p (1280x720 pixels) is already HD quality so it will always look better on blu-ray than on dvd. The highest resolution a DVD can support is 720x480 or 720x576.
Seeing a difference between 8 Mbit/s video on dvd and 30 Mbit/s on blu-ray is not impossible.

Posted by: saskiahidde ()
Date: April 16, 2022 00:36

What is wrong with the sound on these releases? The youtube clip sounds dull. They did not use the master mulitrack tapes? It sounds like a dodgy stereo. My old capture of the Emmy Award HBO version is much better

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 16, 2022 01:19

I was at the Amsterdam 2003 show. I remember Street Fighting Man and Star Star were fantastic! Street Fighting Man was 'over the top!'

The Rolling Stones perform at Madison Square Garden during their Forty Licks
Tour 2003 in NYC for HBO.

photo by KMazur

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 16, 2022 11:20

Why is there not a standalone dvd or bluray? I don't care about the cd's, I can listen to it on Spotify.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: April 16, 2022 13:09

There seems to be a lot of complaints about this release.

-ugly artwork
-poor audio mix
-poor video quality
-no standalone blu-ray
-too few bonus tracks

I'm at least happy to have a new restored version of this show since it's one of my favourite Stones shows!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-16 13:10 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: April 16, 2022 15:30

I'll be skipping this one, but I'll eagerly buy the Olympia show if they ever put it out as a stand-alone CD set.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 16, 2022 16:47

NilsHolgersson
Why is there not a standalone dvd or bluray? I don't care about the cd's, I can listen to it on Spotify.
Because they can make more money if everyone has to buy the double CD + Blueray set for 30€.

Date: April 16, 2022 16:52

I would also like a standalone blu-ray for this one, They look nice together in my collection, don't want a fat digipack CD interrupting my blu-ray shelf.

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: April 16, 2022 18:57

Will it have a carnaby version or is it many vinyl versions

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: April 16, 2022 22:47

TheBlockbuster
There seems to be a lot of complaints about this release.

-ugly artwork
-poor audio mix
-poor video quality
-no standalone blu-ray
-too few bonus tracks

I'm at least happy to have a new restored version of this show since it's one of my favourite Stones shows!

As always when a new release appears, everything is ugly, terrible, awful, horrible, and so on. That's how Stones fans here are...

Date: April 16, 2022 22:53

GasLightStreet
As much as I enjoyed that MSG show, and I do have FOUR FLICKS, I can't see any reason to spend money on this.

MOCAMBO?

Absolutely.

Maybe if the previous show, which was recorded, with a huge two song difference, was included I might be more interested in buying it.

I don't know about the money aspect but the bonus tracks from Amsterdam will be awesome!

Date: April 16, 2022 22:56

yeababyyea
Twickenham and Wiltern were recorded in widescreen, but MSG and Olympia only in 4:3. Would be nice to know how many shows from 2002-2003 are available in widescreen.

The upscaled SD blu-ray releases looks pretty good on a modern flat screen considering the source material. I have a VCR connected to my modern tv and the difference in quality between an old tape and these new upscaled releases is pretty big. Compared to the Four Flicks dvd this new blu-ray might not be a big improvement though.

I don't get why the MSG show isn't in 1080p HD. Besides the obvious answer, they didn't recorded it in HD.

Date: April 16, 2022 23:01

The Blu-ray of the Tami show looks and sounds a lot better than the Collector's Edition DVD.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 17, 2022 00:12

exilestones
yeababyyea
Twickenham and Wiltern were recorded in widescreen, but MSG and Olympia only in 4:3. Would be nice to know how many shows from 2002-2003 are available in widescreen.

The upscaled SD blu-ray releases looks pretty good on a modern flat screen considering the source material. I have a VCR connected to my modern tv and the difference in quality between an old tape and these new upscaled releases is pretty big. Compared to the Four Flicks dvd this new blu-ray might not be a big improvement though.

I don't get why the MSG show isn't in 1080p HD. Besides the obvious answer, they didn't recorded it in HD.
I guess all the cameras used for the MSG show were broadcast equipment in standard definition so recording in a higher definition had not brought any benefit. HD as a consumer medium began around 2005 or so.

Date: April 17, 2022 02:37

StonedRambler
exilestones
yeababyyea

I guess all the cameras used for the MSG show were broadcast equipment in standard definition, so recording in a higher definition had not brought any benefit. HD as a consumer medium began around 2005 or so.

Really? We didn't have HD TV in 2002? We still had the square TVs in 2002?

I looked up the history of HD TV and it didn't start in the until 2004 which wasn't the standard back then. I remember around 2010 we switched from analog to digital TV.

The technology was available as the other Four Flicks shows were in HD.

I remember reading HBO paid for everything to do with producing that MSG HBO special and the Stones received ownership rights to it. Does anyone remember that Story?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-17 03:41 by exilestones.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: April 17, 2022 09:28

exilestones
StonedRambler
exilestones
yeababyyea

I guess all the cameras used for the MSG show were broadcast equipment in standard definition, so recording in a higher definition had not brought any benefit. HD as a consumer medium began around 2005 or so.

Really? We didn't have HD TV in 2002? We still had the square TVs in 2002?

I looked up the history of HD TV and it didn't start in the until 2004 which wasn't the standard back then. I remember around 2010 we switched from analog to digital TV.

The technology was available as the other Four Flicks shows were in HD.

I remember reading HBO paid for everything to do with producing that MSG HBO special and the Stones received ownership rights to it. Does anyone remember that Story?

Are you sure the other Flicks shows were recorded in HD? Never heard of that...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1605
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home