Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Rolling Stones Tongue design as told by Ernie Cefalu
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 29, 2022 18:15

UrbanSteel

Below on the link a good read about the design of the tongue.

Album art (Sticky Fingers) - [iorr.org] - section: 'The Logo'.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: January 29, 2022 19:32

Irix
UrbanSteel

Probably nobody knows exactly who was the first.

That's not true. You only have to note the places and especially the timelines to know who did what, when and where.

John Pasche was the first in 1970, London (UK) - V&A-Museum. Craig Braun and Ernie Cefalu re-drew it early 1971 in NYC - [iorr.org]. Ernie Cefalu was a Freelancer at Craig Braun Inc. (Sound Packaging Corp.) - [iorr.org] .

What date you see on the design below right?

btw, thanks for the link you posted on page 2.

Date: January 29, 2022 19:40

UrbanSteel

Ha, ha, ha - I've made the same mistake some years ago - [iorr.org] . It's no date - it's piece 12 of 70.

I like it when Americans just write 1/4. Is it a quarter or April 1st or January 4th or piece 1 of 4 ?

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 29, 2022 19:51

UrbanSteel
Irix
UrbanSteel

Probably nobody knows exactly who was the first.

That's not true. You only have to note the places and especially the timelines to know who did what, when and where.

John Pasche was the first in 1970, London (UK) - V&A-Museum. Craig Braun and Ernie Cefalu re-drew it early 1971 in NYC - [iorr.org]. Ernie Cefalu was a Freelancer at Craig Braun Inc. (Sound Packaging Corp.) - [iorr.org] .

btw, thanks for the link you posted on page 2.

Is that a date? On the coloured image you can also see 1/15. Would that be January 1915 or 2015? Read your stuff first UrbanSteel, you can still learn a lot from the threads that Irix gave. Ernie only joined Braun's company in 1971 (even told so himself).
If he (or you for that matter) tries to say that 12/70 is a date, he's is comitting forgery based on his own story and you are mistaken.
But really, this is an old story and you show nothing new here, old man.
winking smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: January 29, 2022 19:55

Done by Ernie Cefalu, 1971 - [iorr.org] .

Date: January 29, 2022 20:00

UrbanSteel

Ernie Cefalu started his work at Craig Braun Inc. earliest in February 1971 - [iorr.org] , [RockPopGallery.Typepad.com] . Therefore, he could have not known about the new RS-Logo end of 1970.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: January 29, 2022 20:03

Irix
UrbanSteel

Ha, ha, ha - I've made the same mistake some years ago - [iorr.org] . It's no date - it's piece 12 of 70.

I like it when Americans just write 1/4. Is it a quarter or April 1st or January 4th or piece 1 of 4 ?

We better stop the discussion, none of us were there, something from 52 years ago has started leading its own story, you know the story of a broken nail that ends with a broken hand. Mick Jagger is often wrong with the release dates of the songs they play.
Nobody is perfect.
Have a nice evening.

Date: January 29, 2022 20:25

UrbanSteel

something from 52 years ago has started leading its own story

Yep - fired up by John Pasche, Craig Braun, Ernie Cefalu, Ruby Mazur. They're artists - not historians. smiling smiley

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 29, 2022 20:59

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: January 29, 2022 22:48

Mick talks about the tongue logo design starting at about the 2 minute mark here in this video

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 29, 2022 23:11

deardoctortake1
Mick talks about the tongue logo design starting at about the 2 minute mark here in this video

[youtu.be]

Yeah, Mick seems that have a pretty clear conception of its origin: as he was looking a logo for Rolling Stones Records he spotted Kali's tongue. Then he presented the idea to Pasche who modernized it. That's it.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 29, 2022 23:15

Yeah that's it ....

Now we can get back to the death of Brian Jones ....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 29, 2022 23:30

Doxa

Yeah, Mick seems that have a pretty clear conception of its origin: as he was looking a logo for Rolling Stones Records he spotted Kali's tongue.

Could have also been Marshall Chess (RSR founding president) who was looking for a wordless logo for Rolling Stones Records and he spotted the Shell Oil logo. Mick & Kali came after that - [iorr.org] .

Re: The Rolling Stones Iconic Tongue and Lips Logo and The Controversy Behind It told by Ernie Cefalu
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 30, 2022 03:25

CaptainCorella
shawnriffhard1
Irix
The topic John Pasche vs. Craig Braun vs. Ernie Cefalu has been discussed here many many times - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

And they are all off base. Alan Aldridge's design is the true origin of the Stones Tongue.

Agreed!! But you must also agree that Alan Aldridge's design is usually mentioned by the third or fourth posting in a thread!

thumbs up

Date: January 30, 2022 21:50

Irix

Done by Ernie Cefalu, 1971 - [iorr.org] .

Completely fabricated and false. He "stole" it from Braun's company and made a nice "look this is mine" image many years later. Anyone can do that, even 5 year old kids these days.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
People like DiMicelli and Valez are normal, down to earth people and never claimed the beautiful "USA" version to be theirs. Maybe Aldridge saw my red lipped girlfriend walking around in London in 1967 sticking out her tongue to him and he made a photo of her leading to the Day Tripper image. Get real, Ernie cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-30 21:55 by georgie48.

Date: January 31, 2022 14:55

georgie48

He "stole" it from Braun's company and made a nice "look this is mine" image many years later.

"Stolen" is a bit exaggerated. Ernie Cefalu worked in the beginning as a Freelancer at Craig Braun Inc. - [iorr.org] - and is mentioned by the Rolling Stones:

RS Tongue-Litho-Set (2018) - [iorr.org] .

But without the research by georgie48 - [iorr.org] - we would probably never have known the names of Craig Braun's in-house illustrators Walter Velez and Toni DiMiceli who re-drew it 1971, "finished the mouth - narrowing the tongue, adding more white accents and a black void for the throat - before blowing it up to cover the entire inside sleeve of the American release" - [www.NYTimes.com] , [iorr.org] .

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 31, 2022 17:03

Rockman
Yeah that's it ....

cool smiley

Date: February 1, 2022 21:47

Irix
georgie48

He "stole" it from Braun's company and made a nice "look this is mine" image many years later.

"Stolen" is a bit exaggerated. Ernie Cefalu worked in the beginning as a Freelancer at Craig Braun Inc. - [iorr.org] - and is mentioned by the Rolling Stones:

RS Tongue-Litho-Set (2018) - [iorr.org] .

But without the research by georgie48 - [iorr.org] - we would probably never have known the names of Craig Braun's in-house illustrators Walter Velez and Toni DiMiceli who re-drew it 1971, "finished the mouth - narrowing the tongue, adding more white accents and a black void for the throat - before blowing it up to cover the entire inside sleeve of the American release" - [www.NYTimes.com] , [iorr.org] .

Thanks Irix. I did put stole in exclamation marks, because off course he worked on the eyeless version. What I don't like (or better: didn't like, because Ernie in the end told/confirmed about Braun's input) is that people take more credit than they deserve.
It happens all the time, but in the world of art (also music) it's a cheap way to sell yourself. I mentioned before that Ernie proved in different ways that he is a respectable, creative artist, but (mis)using the fame of the Rolling Stones to make himself look more important (and hoping to make extra money) is not a nice thing to do (I could have used other words here). His (and some of his "fans") spitting on Braun badly is only showing his/their limited human status. Braun was the one who took risks, which were not really appreciated by the Stones to start with and made him a disliked person. But it's Braun's risk-taking and the luck of having very talented co-workers at the right time, that gave us a supurb logo.
When I bought my Sticky Fingers album in April 1971, observing the sleeve front and behind, my first thought was "why didn't they use the small logo at the back as the dominant one" (I didn't know at the time that is was the dominant one in the USA). Man, you can't image how immensely proud I was about my all time favourite band becoming "independent" accompanied by that brilliant logo.
John Pasche is the first and original creator (of the "fatty one") and should be remembered and respected as such.

Peace to everybody cool smiley

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 2, 2022 02:53

Rockman
Yeah that's it ....

you mean the the abduction of brian jones by aliens from the horse head nebula

who pulled him from the pool (leaving behind a already deceased clone)

mere moments before the invisible secret super bullet fired by jfk in a monkey suit from a orbiting cloaked illumenati (cia) space station

funded by the pope in a misguided (and ultimately unsuccessful) plot to take over the the country of paraguay

all in in attempt to gain favor with his one true master allen klein

Date: February 2, 2022 03:06

Well thats kinda how it goes but
Scotland Yard has never been able to fully
answer how Marilyn Monroe knew how to hover
a space ship while wearing a tight dress and high heels ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 2, 2022 04:03

deardoctortake1

[youtu.be]

Cheers Deardoctor.............

This is what I had always thought to be the origin of the 'tongue'..........Kali.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-02 04:05 by EddieByword.

Date: February 2, 2022 04:28

Rockman
Well thats kinda how it goes but
Scotland Yard has never been able to fully
answer how Marilyn Monroe knew how to hover
a space ship while wearing a tight dress and high heels ....

because she had two extra retractable legs wearing sensible shoes

and the tight dress was an illusion created thru the implementation of lizard people tech

this is all explained of course in harry potter and the goblet of fire

if read cover to cover on peyote during the spring equinox while ascending directly from the center of the bermuda triangle in a hot air ballon

Date: February 2, 2022 04:55

Heck I cant read .... cant tell season from season
afraid of heights but some of that peyote could be good for me imagination

ROCKMAN

Date: February 2, 2022 05:11

the secret can also be learned from listening to the audio book of life backwards underground in carlsbad caverns anytime of the year

the peyote i must admit is not yet proven to be necessary in the interbatation of the information

i'm still awaiting results from the peer reviewed studies being conducted by nasa scientists operating from there secret cold war era pyramid base on the dark side of the moon

Date: February 2, 2022 05:26

Shit what a simple uncomplicated life you live Professor

ROCKMAN

Date: February 2, 2022 05:54

well thanks

but i just wake up and put my tin foil lined moon boots on one foot at a time just like everyone else

and then continue my tireless campaign against lays potatoe chips and there evil sinister plot to put microchips into the linings of our stomach to control our dietary habits and get us addicted to there chips

and also to corrupt our wholesome natural bodily fluids thru fluoridation of the oil used to fry there potatoes chips

Date: February 2, 2022 06:36

Ya spelt there wrong ..... HHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: February 2, 2022 07:37

ahhh! your right i did

well i guess i better go take my meds and off ta bed

before i write anything weird and unhinged

Date: February 2, 2022 10:45

EddieByword

This is what I had always thought to be the origin of the 'tongue'..........Kali.........

Yes - but there're 1000+ depictions of Kali goddess since the year 600 - just have a look at Google Image Search - [www.Google.com] .

That's the version John Pasche saw (presented by Mick) in 1970:

[www.YouTube.com] - Pos. 3:25

John Pasche did this Kali doodle detail in 2020:

[Gramho.com] , [iorr.org]

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 2, 2022 11:04

Irix
EddieByword

Yes - but there're 1000+ depictions of Kali goddess since the year 600 - just have a look at Google Image Search - [www.Google.com] .

That's the version John Pasche saw (presented by Mick) in 1970:

[www.YouTube.com] - Pos. 3:25

John Pasche did this Kali doodle detail in 2020:

[Gramho.com] , [iorr.org]

Yeah, I know there's thousands of interpretations of Kali............bit like the Stones tongue nowadays ...........winking smiley

I just picked two that I liked............Interesting to learn that's the exact one Mick showed John Pasche

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-02 11:06 by EddieByword.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home