Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hot Rocks 1964-1971 50th Anniversary SHM-CD
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: January 26, 2022 16:15

Somehow this recent Japanese release (from January, 21, 2022) did not produce a lot of buzz here. This is strange. The release is probably the most decorative one. Putting aside all that SHM buzz.

Detailed scans can be found here
[www.discogs.com]

Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 2CD 2022 Release.
Label: ABKCO / Universal Japan
Catalog Number: UICY-79767 / 8

Technically, it is not only about SHM, OBI and extras. The album was compiled and mastered anew. I.e., this is not a clone of the old 2002 Hot Rocks. It is different.

Here is the list:

CD1
01-Time Is On My Side DR10. Stereo. Tracks from 2002 and 2022 stay almost in sync. Audio signal for 2022 is phase inverted with respect to 2002. In the very beginning of the track there are a lot of static (sounds like vinyl ‘sand’ clicks). These were on old West German London CD but cleaned for 2002 remaster. Also, 2022 track is a bit compressed, louder and has more bass and treble with respect to 2002. It seems stereo scene is a bit wider here too due to wider bass/treble separation in right/left channels. Looks like different tape transfer.
02-Heart Of Stone DR11. Stereo. Tracks from 2002 and 2022 stay almost in sync. Audio signal for 2022 is phase inverted with respect to 2002. Also, 2022 track is a bit compressed, louder and has more in high-mids and treble with respect to 2002. It seems stereo scene is a bit wider due to different bass/treble separation in right/left channels. Looks like different tape transfer.
03-Play With Fire DR10. Mono. In terms of loudness, compression and tonality this track is almost identical to the one that is on CD Out Of Our Heads (US) from In Mono Box, 2016. But here it is a notch quieter. It is differently equalized to 2002 version but in general sound very similar. On 2002 Hot Rocks it has DR11, that is a bit more than here, but it can be just a result of equalization. Also, 2002 and 2022 tracks are negligibly off sync.
04-(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction DR10. Mono. On 2002 Hot Rocks it was in narrow stereo. Here it originated from the same transfer as the track on CD Out Of Our Heads (US) from In Mono Box, 2016. It is just a notch quieter here. Tracks from 2002 and 2022 stay in sync but equalized slightly different way.
05-As Tears Go By DR10. Mono. In terms of loudness, compression, and tonality this track is almost identical to the one that is on CD December’s Children from In Mono Box, 2016. It is just a notch quieter here. However, it is different from 2002 Hot Rocks version that is equalized differently and is not in sync with this one.
06-Get Off Of My Cloud DR10. Mono. In terms of loudness, compression, and tonality this track is almost identical to the one that is on CD December’s Children from In Mono Box, 2016. It is just a notch quieter here. On 2002 Hot Rocks it has DR12, that is a bit more than here, but it can be just a result of equalization.
07-Mother's Little Helper DR9. Mono. In terms of loudness, compression, and tonality this track is almost identical to the one that is on CD Aftermath (UK) from In Mono Box, 2016. It is just a notch quieter here. On 2002 Hot Rocks different tape transfer was used. That 2002 track is slightly off sync and phase inverted.
08-19th Nervous Breakdown DR9. Mono. In terms of loudness, compression, and tonality this track is almost identical to the one that is on CD Stray Cats from In Mono Box, 2016. It is just a notch quieter here. On 2002 Hot Rocks different tape transfer was used. Tracks are slightly off sync and are phase inverted. Lukpac wrote on Steve Hoffman Music Forum about 2016 mastering the following ‘Different from 2002. No remixed/edited on intro. No static around 0:04 common to many (but not all) older releases. Fade stays louder longer, then fades out more quickly. Light static in first few seconds of intro not present elsewhere. Intermittent hiss present throughout entire song between vocal lines, seemingly due to extreme compression on the vocal track. Audible and noticeable in spectral view. Other differences point to this being a different mix than the original mono mix.’
09-Paint It, Black DR9. Stereo. Different type transfer than in 2002. Tracks stay almost in sync. Audio signal is phase inverted with respect to 2002. Here, however, track is more processed and compressed. Also, the intro in the left channel is almost completely blanked out. In 2002 there was some negligible leakage of the signal from the right channel. In terms of tonality 2022 version has more bass but less trebles above 9kHz. It seems stereo scene is a bit wider too with respect to 2002 due to different bass/treble separation in right/left channels.
10-Under My Thumb DR10. Stereo. Different tape transfer comparing to 2002. Tracks are out of sync, with 2022 version running a bit faster. If one aligns tracks at the opening lick by the end there will be 0.6 sec. difference. Also, 2022 track is louder, more compressed and equalized differently with a lot of power in 4-6 kHz range. It seems stereo scene is a bit wider too with respect to 2002 due to wider bass/treble separation in right/left channels. More hiss over all track.
11-Ruby Tuesday DR9. Stereo. Correct mix with extra vocal overdub in the chorus. On 2002 Hot Rocks CD wrong mix without overdub was used. The version presented here is not like any other I know from the past. It is possible that it originates from the tape transfer that was used in 2019 for Through The Past Darkly (Big Hits Vol.2), Japanese only version [UICY-79023]. But I am not able to prove that because I do not own the CD. Here the track is slightly off sync with the one from CD Rolled Gold +, 2008 but is equalized kind of similar.
12-Let's Spend The Night Together DR8. Stereo. Different tape transfer with 2022 version running slightly faster. It is also more compressed and louder. In terms of tonality, it has more bass and treble. A disturbing thing is much more auditable hiss in the intro. It was less obvious for 2002 Hot Rocks. It is possible that 2022 version originates from the tape transfer that was used in 2019 for Through The Past Darkly (Big Hits Vol.2), Japanese only version [UICY-79023]. But I am not able to prove that because I do not own the CD.

CD2
01-Jumpin' Jack Flash DR8. In terms of loudness and equalization almost identical to the track that was issued recently Japanese only SHM-CD single Jumpin’ Jack Flash/Gimme Shelter [UICY-69010]. Here the track is just a notch quieter. The mastering is different from the one that was used on 2002 Hot Rocks CD. Although, polarity of the audio signal is inverted, 2002 and 2022 tracks stay almost perfectly in sync.
02-Street Fighting Man DR9. Originated from 50th anniversary re-issue of Beggar’s Banquet CD. It is tonally identical but negligibly quieter than the track on the album. Different tape transfer comparing to 2002 Hot Rocks CD.
03-Sympathy For The Devil DR7. Originated from 50th anniversary re-issue of Beggar’s Banquet CD. It is tonally identical but negligibly quieter than the track on the album. Different tape transfer comparing to 2002 Hot Rocks CD. Although, in terms of mastering 2002 and 2022 tracks are not critically different. Older version just a bit quieter and has less bass.
04-Honky Tonk Women DR8. Tracks are phase inverted with respect to each other, although almost in sync. Old 2002 version is mastered differently, with less bass and more treble. It seems stereo scene for 2022 version is a bit wider too with respect to 2002 due to wider bass/treble separation in right/left channels.It is possible that 2022 version originates from the tape transfer that was used in 2019 for Through The Past Darkly (Big Hits Vol.2), Japanese only version [UICY-79023]. But I am not able to prove that because I do not own the CD.
05-Gimme Shelter DR9. Originates from 50thanniversary re-issue of Let It Bleed CD. It is tonally identical but negligibly quieter than the track on the album. Tack on 2002 Hot Rocks CD is phase inverted and equalized differently.
06-Midnight Rambler (Live) DR9. Tracks are phase inverted but stay almost in sync. New version is more compressed, a bit louder and has more bass and presence in 4-6kHz range. Also, there is electrical 'crunch' at mark 4.19-4.20. This defect was on all pre-2002 editions of Hot Rocks and Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out. But it was removed in 2002 for SACD-hybrid CDs. Here it appears again. Did they used original, non-modified tapes for this re-issue????
07-You Can't Always Get What You Want DR8. Originates from 50th anniversary re-issue of Let It Bleed CD. It is identical tonally and in term of loudness/compression to the track on the album. Track on 2002 Hot Rocks CD is inverted and equalized differently. .
08-Brown Sugar DR7. Tonally identical but a notch louder than the track from 2002 Hot Rocks.
09-Wild Horses DR8. Tonally identical but a notch louder than the track from 2002 Hot Rocks.

Thus, all tracks but Street Fighting Man, Brown Sugar and Wild Horses were updated here with respect to 2002 edition (for better or worse).

I would say it is a must have for a completist winking smiley

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-01 10:57 by ironbelly.

Re: Hot Rock 1964-1971 50th Anniversary SHM-CD
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 26, 2022 16:30

Nice looking release, and great sales job ironbelly. You should get some commission points!

Re: Hot Rocks 1964-1971 50th Anniversary SHM-CD
Date: January 26, 2022 19:48

treaclefingers
Nice looking release, and great sales job ironbelly. You should get some commission points!
Hardly there will be extra sales. Completists and collectors of Japanese mini-vinyl replicas already got those. Average Joe do not care winking smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-27 10:29 by ironbelly.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 26, 2022 21:49

I saw this and if were a 7" version like those Japanese only singles, I would have grabbed a copy. Interested in hearing that Ruby Tuesday but not enough to buy it again, SHM or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-26 21:50 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: January 27, 2022 00:12

VoodooLounge13
I saw this and if were a 7" version like those Japanese only singles, I would have grabbed a copy. Interested in hearing that Ruby Tuesday but not enough to buy it again, SHM or not.
For correct mix of Ruby Tuesday you do not need this. It was around for ages.You can look for old West German CD Hot Rocks 1 [London 820 141-2] pressed from glass master 01 or 02. Otherwise, the same mix is on Rolled Gold + [Universal-ABKCO 5303281].

Wrong mix is a well known goof that appeared in 2002. It is present on all SACD-hybrid CDs.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 27, 2022 00:49

ironbelly
VoodooLounge13
For correct mix of Ruby Tuesday you do not need this. It was around for ages.You can look for old West German CD Hot Rocks 1 [London 820 141-2] pressed from glass master 01 or 02. Otherwise, the same mix is on Rolled Gold + [Universal-ABKCO 5303281].

Wrong mix is a well known goof that appeared in 2002. It is present on all SACD-hybrid CDs.

I have the Rolled Gold + on Vinyl, and they did a USB drive release so I thought that was unique and I grabbed that too.

Date: January 27, 2022 01:11

ironbelly
VoodooLounge13

Thanks Iron. I have Rolled Gold - the re-release from some 10 or so years ago. Is that the one you're referencing?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 27, 2022 01:20

Hi Ironbelly ....Please whats the story on this Japanese
Rolled Gold.... Found it the other day one in an old box still sealed

ROCKMAN

Date: January 27, 2022 02:14

I don't have that Japanese one, Rock, but that is the version I have. The re-released one.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 27, 2022 03:39

Is this release a SACD version?

Date: January 27, 2022 10:38

VoodooLounge13
Thanks Iron. I have Rolled Gold - the re-release from some 10 or so years ago. Is that the one you're referencing?
Originally, Rolled Gold+ was issued on CD in 2007. Probably, that is the one.

Rockman
Hi Ironbelly ....Please whats the story on this Japanese
Rolled Gold.... Found it the other day one in an old box still sealed
I can't remember anything specific. The one you show is Japanese SHM-CD re-issue from 2008 in regular jewel case. There were several Japanese editions of this compilation as regular CD and as SHM-CD. They came in different packages/with different catalog numbers but with the same digital material.

More Hot Rocks
New version of Hot Rocks is SHM-CD. It is CDDA (redbook) format only. There is no SACD this time.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 27, 2022 10:40

More Hot Rocks

No, normal CD only (apart from the Super High Material) - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] . The Vinyl was released at Record Store Day 2021 - [iorr.org] .

Date: January 27, 2022 10:56

ironbelly

Technically, it is not only about SHM, OBI and extras. The album was compiled and mastered anew. I.e., this is not a clone of the old 2002 Hot Rocks. It is different.

"Remastered by Bob Ludwig" - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] . Vinyl as well - [RecordStoreDay.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-27 11:10 by Irix.

Date: January 27, 2022 12:39

Irix
ironbelly

"Remastered by Bob Ludwig" - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] . Vinyl as well - [RecordStoreDay.com] .
Correct. Bob Ludwig. But it is just a part of the truth. Bob Ludwig re-mastered both versions - in 2002 and 2022. But those mastering works are different. Almost all tracks were replaced on 2022 edition with respect to 2002 with different versions (some from different tape transfers).

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: January 27, 2022 13:54

ironbelly
Somehow this recent Japanese release (from January, 21, 2022) did not produce a lot of buzz here. This is strange. The release is probably the most decorative one. Putting aside all that SHM buzz.

Detailed scans can be found here
[www.discogs.com]

Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 2CD 2022 Release.
Label: ABKCO / Universal Japan
Catalog Number: UICY-79767 / 8

Thanks for the update, IronBelly. I did not know this Hot Rocks was released.

I'm always interested in another Hot Rocks, they're like a treasue chest, we never know which version of each song we'll get!

Date: January 27, 2022 14:15

exilestones

I did not know this Hot Rocks was released.

Vinyl was posted here - [iorr.org] , SHM-CD here - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 27, 2022 15:01

I ordered the CD set 4 days ago. No idea why!

Rod

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: January 27, 2022 19:49

ironbelly

11-Ruby Tuesday DR9. Stereo. Correct mix with extra vocal overdub in the chorus. On 2002 Hot Rocks CD wrong mix without overdub was used. The version presented here is not like any other I know from the past. It is possible that it originates from the tape transfer that was used in 2019 for Through The Past Darkly (Big Hits Vol.2), Japanese only version [UICY-79023]. But I am not able to prove that because I do not own the CD. Here the track is slightly off sync with the one from CD Rolled Gold +, 2008 but is equalized kind of similar.

Thanks a lot for your post and for such detailed informations. Specially anything about Ruby Tuesday is very interesting. I compared all the versions i could listen to and found out, that the mono versions sounded a bit different to my ears. The mono versions from The Singles Box 1965 -1967 and Forty Licks [2CD 8133262-72] seem to be absolutely identical and close to The Singles Collection - The London Years [3CD 820 906 2]. These 3 mono versions seem to have a different chorus (@ 0.37), but this might be the mono effect.

The stereo versions seem to have more voices in the chorus, maybe because their channels are more seperated. I compared Flowers [CD 820 139-2], Through The Past, Darkly [US HD ABKCO 2010], Between The Buttons [CD 820 138-2], RS 21 x 5 Remastered (2002), Through The Past, Darkly [UK HD 2010], Through The Past, Darkly [CD P25L 25044 Jp] and Hot Rocks [2LP MFSL Half Speed Mastered]. The version from the single CD Hot Rocks 1 [820 141-2] starts to fade out a lot earlier, but I couldn't hear differences in the chorus.

So I would like to know, if the version from the 2002 Hot Rocks CD is a mono version that sounds a bit different, or is it a stereo version without overdubs in the chorus? If so, I'll try to get a CD from this series. You can hopefully bring some light into the misterious 'Ruby Tuesday' darkness. smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-27 19:57 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Date: January 28, 2022 01:44

BlueTurns2Grey
ironbelly

Thanks a lot for your post and for such detailed informations. Specially anything about Ruby Tuesday is very interesting.

So I would like to know, if the version from the 2002 Hot Rocks CD is a mono version that sounds a bit different, or is it a stereo version without overdubs in the chorus?

First, imagination and reception can trick people. Also, small additions in volume, compression, and equalization can change the tonality of the track such a way that one will think of different mixes. Thus, it is necessary to use audio analysis tool to distinguish small differences. Usually, I do not trust my ears blindly winking smiley.

Anyway, Ruby Tuesday case was closed long time ago by lukpac. Here is a link.
[lukpac.org]
Left channel – SACD 2002 version without overdub.
Right channel – old London CD version with overdub.

Here is most general description how to find one mix or the other.

All pre-2002 CDs contain proper mix with overdub. These are:
- Singles Collection - The London Years, in print from 1989 till 2002, no matter country of origin and catalog number. Here you get mono version. Track from CD 820 906 2 has that overdub. The problem - the disc is mastered a bit murky, and some details are blurted.
- All Between The Buttons (US), Flowers and Hot Rocks CDs that were in print till 2002. No matter country of origin and record label. Sure, old ABKCO sounds not good. Old West German London is hard to find. But it does not matter, they have the same stereo mix but mastered and equalized differently. Flowers [CD 820 139-2], Between The Buttons [CD 820 138-2] and Hot Rocks 1 [820 141-2] came from the same A/D transfer. That fade out for Hot Rocks 1 is a result of ‘secret remaster’ that took place in 1988. It is on CDs that were pressed from glass masters 03 and 04. The 1st pressing from glass master 01 and the early re-issues from glass master 02 came w/o fade. This is the CD you should get
[www.discogs.com]
Ruby Tuesday here is wide stereo track with overdub and w/o fade. Do not pay fortune, this CD is relatively common.

Japanese CDs from 1985-1997 (I mean from P33L, P25L series and POCD with catalog numbers below 1930) came from the same tape transfer as West German London CDs but are mastered/equalized differently. Thus, all those also contain mix with overdub.

In 2002 for 40th anniversary re-issue campaign they did something wrong. Guys from Steve Hoffman music forum claimed that wrong tape was pulled from the vault. As a result, we got Ruby Tuesday with one vocal layer missing. The CDs are:
- Between The Buttons (US), Flowers, Hot Rocks and 21x5 sampler. These came with stereo version w/o overdub. No matter country of origin, catalog number etc.
As a matter of fact, Ruby Tuesday on 21x5 sampler is identical within negligible level shift to the one from Hot Rocks 2002. For two other discs the difference is a bit more pronounced. But that is a problem with ‘production mastering’ for individual CDs. Ruby Tuesday from all 2002 CDs stay in sync but is a bit tweaked in terms of volume adjustments.
- Forty Licks, Singles Collection – The London Years (2002 version) and box of singles from 2005 came with mono version of the track w/o overdub. It seems that they used fold down of stereo version.

In 2007 new remaster of stereo version with overdub was issued. It appeared for the first time on CD Rolled Gold +. Later it was used for Grrr! And now on Hot Rocks 2022 there is another stereo version with overdub. But it is a bit different from one from Rolled Gold+ and Grrr!

In 2016 for In Mono box dedicated mono mix with overdub was used.

PS. On 2002 Hot Rocks CD Ruby Tuesday is stereo version without overdub.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: January 28, 2022 06:28

ironbelly

Anyway, Ruby Tuesday case was closed long time ago by lukpac. Here is a link.
[lukpac.org]
Left channel – SACD 2002 version without overdub.
Right channel – old London CD version with overdub.

PS. On 2002 Hot Rocks CD Ruby Tuesday is stereo version without overdub.

Thanks a lot ironbelly. smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home