Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Facts, not Fiction about SF shows
Posted by: peter ()
Date: November 17, 2005 08:54

The 2 shows in SF might be the best 2 outdoor stadium gigs in a row I have ever witnessed by the RS !...often 1 nite is slightly better than the other...this was not the case this week in SF...a major problem in booking an outdoor gig in mid November is that it will be raining & cold 90% of the time...a huge gamble to take...however, once again a miracle happened in SF this week...it was the best weather SF has EVER had since 1923 !...even us locals are stunned at Mother Nature...and us locals did read/hear about noise complaints from folks far away...this would have never happened except for the fact that the weather was so calm, the sound travelled much further than expected...as for the few residents that complained, @#$%& OFF !.....their neighborhoods have much bigger concerns than some noise before 11pm !....maybe the RS agreed to turn it down abit tuesday nite but I certainly don't think so....and they shouldn't have anyway...I hosted a pre/post party at the "High Dive" both nites & it was great to meet some of you....if you attended these gigs, you have to be thrilled & still basking in the afterglow !...great show, great weather, great joints, great crowd, liberal experience ( unlike Portland/Seattle ) where we got butt searched & couldn't take a beer to our seats....I for one, would love to hear from fans on this forum about the positive/negative things that make a concert experience...rather than why they didn't play a certain song...there is so much good stuff to share here...tix, seating charts, hotels, restrictions, security problems, camera options etc...peter in SF

Re: Facts, not Fiction about SF shows
Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: November 17, 2005 09:05

Very well said. Though I am reluctant to alcohol in both Stadiums and arenas as people tent to run in and out for either beer or toilet and this even during the show. (was discussed to its own level anyway).
Not being able to go to SF (after 7 Western shows we had to fly back to Switzerland) we had a wonderful time and met so many wonderful people. Friends we have been with in Stockholm. New ones which is invited us to share the pure Stones fever. I know that a lot of people discovered the Stones during the 90ies and still like those tours the best. As for myself I have to scale back to 81/82 Tour to find such a level. Anyway it's only an oppinion.

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: November 17, 2005 09:14

Care to share a few of the highlights ????

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 17, 2005 17:51

My two cents on the SF shows:

- The sound system is marvelous. Puts previous tours to shame in this regard.

- SF1 - On-Stage seats: cool idea, but if you don't get a chance to experience this, you will not have missed that much. Glad I did it, but if I could have traded my $250 for something in the middle of the field I would do it (in retrospect). Sound is very boomy up there and the sightlines are poor.

- SF1 - Sweet Virginia was the clear highlight (and only surprise). Singalongs are always cool with 50,000 people lending a helping hand.

- SF1 - Get Off of My Cloud was excellent - better than the '99 versions. Slowed down a bit from '99, more akin the studio song's pace. This should be there everynight....see my SF2 reference.

- SF2 - The video guys nailed it with a close-up of the full moon that was overheard at the moment Keith starting singing "first the sun, then the mooooooon." cool.

- SF2 - As Tears Go By - nicely done. Keith sits on a stool with a fag hanging out of his mouth the entire song. When he and Mick open the song without the other band members, a chill went through my bones....almost Prodigal Son-like for a moment there. MJ screws up the lyrics mid-way through - after the song he mouths over to KR with a wry grin: "I fu*ked up!"

- SF2 - A momentarily lapse in the PA (replaced by a loud BUZZZZZZ) a few seconds before the end of SFTD. Everyone looked around at one another as if to ask, what the fu*k?

- SF2 - the show really did not ignite until 3rd song, She's So Cold. SMU and Shattered were superfluous filler, IMO.

- SF2 - YGMR is a waste of valuable b-stage space and time - GOOMC in this spot the previous show was great - YGMR blows.

- SF2 - Night Time is winning me over. Jagger actually up-staged Lisa on this night with several falsetto "Baaaay-beeeees!" It's understandable why the Otis and Marley tribute songs have faded away....though I wouldn't mind more variety.

---at the risk of sparking unwanted renewed angst here - I can honestly say that Ronnie has completely lost whatever he had left as a valuable contributor to the Stones stage act. He played not a single coherent string of notes the entire two nites. He butchers any and every attempt at the most perfunctory and basic of solos. It's gotten to the point where I would actually not mind it all if Blondie were just given his spot in the act. I'm a huge Ronnie fan, but I'm afraid he is just totally incapable of playing in this band anymore.

Sorry - it needs to be said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-17 18:10 by T&A.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 17, 2005 18:47

Hi Peter. It was a pleasure meeting you and Thomas at the Hi Dive. T&A, you too! My thoughts on the show? I has a great time and I'm very happy I went to the 2nd show. My thoughts:

As Tears Go By. One of the things that makes going to a Stones show an experience is hearing rarely performed gems and this is one I have wanted to hear for some time. It was a great arrangement and thrilling to hear live.

Midnight Rambler. I mentioned this earlier but the groove Charlie, Keith and Daryl got during the middle section was transcendental. I felt I was taken to an other place. I have seen the Stones 17 times now and that groove was perhaps the best I have ever felt, heard and experienced. WOW!

Charlie Watts. Charlie is always great but he was really on this night, espcecially on Midnight Rambler. Man, can he swing!

Mick Jagger. What can I say? The guy is ultimate showman and at 62 can run and sing circles around performers half his age. He and Charlie carried the show for me.

Lisa Fisher: Her singing on 'Night Time' made me feel like I was in church. What a voice!

Keith Richards. Keith is the reason I'm a Stones fan in the first place and the reason I took up guitar 25 years ago. My only qualm is that he should play his guitar more rather than holding it as he tends to do during his solos spots but when he plays and he and Charlie lock on, watch out!

Ronnie Wood. I hate to say it but he just can't seem to play a decent solo any more. He seems to spend more time doing rock star poses than playing his instrument and when he does bother to play he doesn't even play to the song but dissonantly and with no since of melody more often than not. I love Ronnie but I have to agree with T&A. He needs to get it together or take up painting full time.

Posted by: mcparty ()
Date: November 17, 2005 19:07

SF Sunday show was loads of fun. Unbelievable weather and great vibe throughout PacBell/SBC/AT&T (Willie Mays!) Park

Hey Peter, Thomas & T&A - great to meet you.

Sound quality was extremely good though I do think they changed the mix. Charlie's drums are front & center (much more than previous tours). Also MJ's guitar is pushed WAY UP in the mix (his git-tar came through much clearer than KR or RW).

And speaking of RW: T&A's right. Let Blondie play - at least we'll here a decent solo. Frankly, I'm not sure how the other band members can let RW get away with it. He adds nothing to the music.

Perhaps they'll return to SF in Spring '06?

If so, then we can do it all over again.

Cheers.

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: November 18, 2005 05:30

deleted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-15 03:08 by Jed Clever.

Posted by: dlyon ()
Date: November 18, 2005 05:54

Following "Start Me Up" and "Shattered," Mick greeted Tuesday night's crowd with a reference to "balmy, beautiful San Francisco" in awareness of three glorious days of weather in our area. He then shed his magenta frock, (Sunday night was gold lame) and settled in for the night. Once again, his performance was captivating. The highlight of this evening was the enchanting version of "As Tears Go By." With Keith on a stool, cigarette dangling, this arrangement sounded more polished than its debut last week. "Midnight Rambler" continued the positive momentum and it took this long into the show to reach the apex. There was no such delay Sunday night. Clearly, Mick was inspired to his highest level that night (see Joel Selvin's hagiographic review in the SF Chronicle 11/15- it is worth noting that Selvin has been critical of the Stones in prior tours).

On this night, the set list was as diverse as we can hope to expect from the boys these days, but the execution was not nearly as tight as Sunday. "Oh No..." did not achieve its accelarated pulse, unfortunately. At one point on the B Stage, Mick effectively silenced Ronnie who seemed to acknowledge that he was about to play over Keith's solo. His direction and management of Ronnie seemed more noticable tonight. Later, during IORR, Ronnie sidled up to Mick as he was about to deliver "Would it help to ease your pain?" and, instead, tossed his head and thumb towards Ronnie and delivered, "he's a paaaiiinnn." Possibly a rehearsed bit, but it was quite funny.

For his part, Keith was uncommonly chatty. He told us," this is a good town, you know." I have grown accustomed to his "good to be here; good to be anywhere line," so this banter was refreshing if "Slipping Away" and "Infamy" were not. What I would do for "Luxury" and "This Place Is Empty."

All in all, it was good to see the Stones still bringing the best live shows going. Mick certainly seems to like the area, (perhaps because one of his daughters is here) and has proved that we should appreciate any chance we get to see him backed by the best timepiece in the business and accompanied by his Glimmer Twin.

Duncan, San Francisco

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: November 18, 2005 08:00

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> ---at the risk of sparking unwanted renewed angst
> here - I can honestly say that Ronnie has
> completely lost whatever he had left as a valuable
> contributor to the Stones stage act. He played not
> a single coherent string of notes the entire two
> nites. He butchers any and every attempt at the
> most perfunctory and basic of solos. It's gotten
> to the point where I would actually not mind it
> all if Blondie were just given his spot in the
> act. I'm a huge Ronnie fan, but I'm afraid he is
> just totally incapable of playing in this band
> anymore.
>
> Sorry - it needs to be said.
>

Your comments don't create any angst, I'm just amazed that you can be comfortable with the following two assertions BOTH being true:

1) The SF concerts were 2 of the best stadium gigs the stones ever did AND

2) Ronnie Wood is a completely incompetent guitarist..

How can BOTH of those things be true ?

Also... are you wasting any more of your hard-earned money seeing such a terrible guitarist ?

You can probably sell your remaining tickets on e-bay and save yourself the torture.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 18, 2005 18:30

Bayou - I don't know where you got those quotes, but they are not mine.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 18, 2005 20:05

My friend who was there said Metallica OWNED Tuesday night.

Posted by: toko ()
Date: November 18, 2005 20:45

T & A wrote
> ---at the risk of sparking unwanted renewed angst
> here - I can honestly say that Ronnie has
> completely lost whatever he had left as a valuable
> contributor to the Stones stage act. He played not
> a single coherent string of notes the entire two
> nites.

Yes, we were the victims of a great sound system. I'm
always pulling for Ronnie, and his flubs have always
been helped by the sheer muddy volume of a live show.
But his many finger farts Tuesday night came through loud
and clear. What is up with Tumbling Dice? He doesn't even
play the tired old solo he's used since '89. He's just
all over the place. I guess he's trying to have fun with
it, since there is no way to simply forget such a simple
solo. It's like forgetting how to make a peanut butter
sandwich. And when he hits a bum note, he doesn't
try to correct himself! Fascinating to watch.

Same thing happening on "Dead Flowers" a few weeks ago.
Easiest damn solo. Hard to mess up. And there he is,
trying to do some wacky adlib. I welcome the effort,
but....

That said, this is the first time I've been able to hear
his rhythm work with Keith on Midnight Rambler so clearly.
Clean, sweet, punchy riffage throughout. Oh well!

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: November 18, 2005 22:00

Jed Clever Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >
> OK, perhaps I am being overly critical here. The
> group of people I was with, mostly casual Stones
> fans, all enjoyed the show immensely, >

I had the same dilemma with the one show I attended (Anaheim). I was appalled by a lot of what I witnessed, but everyone I was with was just fine with everything.

I do think when this tour is over, this band needs to do some serious reassessment. It may be time for them to decide if this is what they want their legacy to be...

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 18, 2005 23:17

To them, their legacy is their bank account. I am sure they see things quite differently than the rest of us.

Posted by: spearshaker ()
Date: November 19, 2005 04:44

Sunday night in S.F.:

The Good:

Jagger at his peak, excellent set-list, good energy, Lisa's singing, Sweet Virginia, great weather.

The Bad:

Ronnie Wood basically shit all over his guitar. The solo on Tumbling Dice was a disgrace.

Date: November 19, 2005 07:30

I posted this in the "is ronnie clean..." thread but I believe it has relevance here as well "In 1969 it became possible to kick out a founding memeber of the band because he was no longer able to contribute. I love Ronnie and want nothing but the best for him but perhaps such an action would be good for him and the band because for whatever reason his contributions and playing on this tour are next to nil."

Posted by: peter ()
Date: November 19, 2005 07:52

WOW....many interesting comments/opinions about the SF shows which I thought were just fantastic..it was my 5th & 6th time for this tour...47 shows since 1966 which is probably nothing compared to some of the fans on the message board...however, I have some thoughts on the 'ultimate concert experience' whether it be the RS or any other band...how great of a time you have at any given show depends on many factors..your seat location is probably the biggest factor...the friends you have chosen to go with...the fans that sit next to you, in front of you & behind you..I can't tell you how often I PRAY that my seat-mates are cool !...the security & staff can also make a big difference while enjoying the show..not very pleasant when your drunken seatmate spills his beer all over your girlfriend before the show starts...the weather for an outdoor show is a major factor of course...it's difficult for any band to whip the crowd into a frenzy if everyone is cold or wet...after attending 2000 shows in 40 years in SF, I was so thrilled that all of the above concerns were not a problem for me...guess I was having too good of a time and missed Ronnie's mistakes and any other tech problems that might have occured...give me a good seat, great sound, great seat mates, perfect weather, great crowd energy, great staff & a close bar/bathroom AND I can handle a missed note/cue anytime....Peter Stupar..SF

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 19, 2005 08:36

good points Peter - and to reiterate: I had a great time both nights, despite RW's irrelevence. The Stones DO know how to put on a show, for sure.

Date: November 19, 2005 20:12

That's true. Despite Ronnies playing, I had a great at the show because of the things Peter mentions but also becasue the Stones do indeed know how to put on a show.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home