Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones Albums vs. Beatles Albums Discussion [PART VII]
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 24, 2022 23:16

Between the Buttons vs. Revolver

This is another tough one for me. I've listened to Revolver a handful of times and there's something about it that doesn't completely do it for me as a great album like Rubber Soul was. As for Between the Buttons, I think it's a bit weaker than Aftermath but the singles are much better than the singles on Revolver. Between the Buttons wins this round for me.

The Beatles 4
Stones 3

Re: Rolling Stones Albums vs. Beatles Albums Discussion [PART VII]
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 25, 2022 04:05

Rolling Stones win again for me!

Agree w/ Jordy ... Revolver is a step back from Rubber Soul for sure. It still has some great tunes, my favorites are Eleanor Rigby, And Your Bird Can Sing, I Want You, Got To Get You Into My Life
... but suffers from too much Indian Eastern experimentation, but not in a good way - Love You To and Tomorrow Never Knows just aren't catchy in any way, some other lame tracks, She Said, Good Day Sunshine, a couple others.

Between The Buttons is a step forward, imo, from Aftermath. USA version for me, w/ Let's Spend The Night and Ruby Tuesday ... I'll take those over any of the Beatles tracks! Add on some of my other favorites, Connection, All Sold Out, My Obsession, Who's Been Sleeping Here, Miss Amanda Jones ... And Stones win it fairly easily.

boxscore:
Stones 6, Beatles 1

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 25, 2022 04:33

I gotta go with Revolver. Often regarded as their best album, Between The Buttons though great, doesn't always make it into the top 10 stones albums.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 25, 2022 04:49

REALLY ... Is that considered their best album ?
Cant handle that Elenor Rigby thing

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 25, 2022 04:59

The Beatles take it to another level for the win in another landslide victory, while the Stones (and other bands) are still following in the wake.
I always wondered what kind drugs Brian was frying on in that cover pic...maybe a combination of several - he looks quite demonic.

Current standings:

Beatles 7, Stones 0.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: January 25, 2022 05:00

This one’s easy for me. REVOLVER…British version.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 25, 2022 05:21

Revolver by a country mile.

Date: January 25, 2022 05:23

Rockman
REALLY ... Is that considered their best album ?
Cant handle that Elenor Rigby thing

I think their best is Abbey Road. But I see it from the POV of how they shifted the landscape starting in 65.

All the Stones were able to muster in '65 was the most iconic single of all time.

I think the reaction to TSMR, and THEIR reaction to that reaction changed everything in 1968 starting with JJF. The Stones were now 'on par' and at the top.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 25, 2022 05:46

HELL!!! .... glad i didnt go ta kindergarten ...
Mop Top stuff meant nothing ... kids stuff that floated by

Id rather be on the side thats losing ..... HHHaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 25, 2022 06:49

Revolver is a collection of dreadful songs.They really proved how bland they are with this release. I remember this LP as lame and even annoying.George Martin couldn't do anything with this stuff. It was DOA.
Rolling Stones 7 Beatles 0

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 25, 2022 06:51

REVOLVER

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: January 25, 2022 08:23

Dead culture

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 25, 2022 08:40

Both albums are not very good. Between the Buttons is not the Stones' worst, but it's their most boring and mediocre. Worse albums like TMSR and DW have at least some great stuff on it, but this one has nothing.
Revolver is less good than Rubber Soul because it has some really lame nonsense on it (Yellow Submarine, Good Day Sunshine, Taxman) but it has two absolute amazingly brilliant songs on it: Here There and Everywhere and Tomorrow Never Knows.
I find Between the Buttons unlistenable, every time I try it, I have to give up. Revolver, I'd have to skip songs, but those two songs I just mentioned make it worth it.
So, Revolver wins

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 25, 2022 08:45

Revolver was a revolutionary, groundbreaking work: it influenced contemporaries and subsequent generations. From the pop-art sleeve design, to Lennon’s Tomorrow Never Knows, it is, in my opinion, their most important and very finest work.

Between The Buttons is very good, however. I certainly prefer it - both U.S. and U.K. versions - to the butchered U.S. Aftermath. In fact, I’d go as far as to say that Between The Buttons is somewhat under appreciated. It’s often overlooked by Stones fans and, in fact, only reached #3 on the U.K. album chart. It may have been the beginning of a little dip in popularity, actually. Both Satanic Majesty’s and Beggars Banquet underachieved commercially, too.

Date: January 25, 2022 11:15

Love both albums. The US BTB-version might be the only american release that is an improvement to the original UK-release, imo (even though the lovely Back Street Girl was omitted).

However, we're talking about Revolver here, an album with lots of great songs (although with a cold and harsh mix that is hard to listen to, imo).

I know many have Revolver as their favourite Beatles-album. I don't, but that doesn't mean I don't recognise its greatness.

Revolver is a great album, BTB is a very good album, imo.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 25, 2022 16:24

As I wrote on the 'Rubber Soul' thread, I once made a CD mix of 'Rubber Soul' and 'Revolver' (Rubber Revolver or something like that) which had about half of each album combined into one and it was pretty great. For me though, both aren't what they're cracked up to be on their own.

The '66-'67 era is my least favorite period of the Stones (or the Beatles for that matter) with the poppy psychedelia ruling the day, but songs like "Connection" and "Miss Amanda Jones" are more fun than anything on 'Revolver'. And "Back Street Girl" is truly sublime. I could just listen to that one on repeat. Nothing on 'Revolver' prompts repeated listening for me. In fact I don't even own it anymore.

Even from an artwork comparison, 'Buttons' all the way. What a shot. I've got it framed.

Beatles 5 Stones 2

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-25 16:57 by floodonthepage.

Date: January 25, 2022 16:27

Rockman
HELL!!! .... glad i didnt go ta kindergarten ...
Mop Top stuff meant nothing ... kids stuff that floated by

Id rather be on the side thats losing ..... HHHaaaaaa

don't worry, our team stage a remarkable turnaround coming up real soon!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2047
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home