Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Damon Albarn rips The Rolling Stones
Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: January 25, 2022 20:57

Cheap, headlining grabbing shot from DA !!

Blur had a few good songs back in the 90s. Always found them a bit too pretentious tho.

How relevant is DA in 2022 anyway.....

Lets see how many stadiums or arenas Blur or DA can fill when they are 80 !!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 25, 2022 21:16

Stoneage
Parklife is brilliant. Very British. "It's got nothing to do with Vorsprung
durch technik you know...".

Parklife

Date: January 25, 2022 21:16

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-25 21:17 by Stoneage.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 25, 2022 21:59

Stoneage
Nothing outrageous about that. Just an opinion. Considering the fact that he is not into reunions it's a natural conclusion.

+1

Date: January 25, 2022 22:05

I can't speak for DA, but I don't think for a minute he was referring to Lennon/ McCartney, Jagger/Richards etc. In context what he is talking about (IMO) is this whole notion that exists now in Pop, Country and Hip Hop, where one person adds maybe one word, or one note, and becomes co=producer, and writer.
Are we talking about the same interview? He says noting bad about the Stones. I pretty much agree with what he said. Is it really sacrilege to poke fun, and question an almost 80 year old millionaire?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 25, 2022 22:25

His attempt at back peddling was pathetic, his limp statement that what he said was "taken out of context" - utter rubbish.

When Albarn was asked if he thinks a lot of modern musicians rely on sound and attitude, he responded, “name me someone who’s not.” After the interviewer cited Taylor Swift as an “excellent songwriter,” Albarn offered up a blunt response. “She doesn’t write her own songs,” he said.

The interviewer pressed Albarn saying “of course she does” and that she co-writes some of her music. “That doesn’t count,” Albarn responded. “I know what co-writing is. Co-writing is very different to writing. I’m not hating on anybody, I’m just saying there’s a big difference between a songwriter and a songwriter who co-writes. Doesn’t mean that the outcome can’t be really great.”

So co-writing and... writing are different? Writing is writing.

Has anyone ever asked Keith what he thinks, and thought, about Mick coming up with the lick or riff and music to Brown Sugar?

Obviously not all the songs they wrote together were written together, just like Lennon and McCartney. And not all the songs they wrote together did they write from the beginning - Jumpin' Jack Flash is a good example.

Who is this geezer? He was in a band called Gorilaz? He's badmouthing Taylor Swift and and he's playing at Disney World or whatever it is in California.

Sounds like a dying career. Which is quite charming considering what he said about the Stones:

“The greatest exponent of that is the Rolling Stones, who just couldn’t let it go,” he said. “It’s disappointing. Not to say that I didn’t absolutely love the Rolling Stones in their heyday — they were magnificent. But do other stuff in your life. Singing ‘(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction’ when you’re pushing 80? Come on.”

He sounds like an old person in the 1970s - "oh those awful Rolling Stones with that Mick Jagger."

Disappointing, eh? Wow. What a pathetic person.

Re: Damon Albarn
Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: January 25, 2022 22:30

retired_dog
Paddy
bye bye johnny
Taylor Swift's response to Damon Albarn's Los Angeles Times interview:

[twitter.com]

Poor Taylor. She’s got co-writers on almost all her songs.
What a fool.

Poor Mick. Poor Keith. They've got co-writers on almost all their songs.
What fools.

(irony off)

Jagger/Richards wrote music and a band called the Rolling Stones played them.
Lennon/McCartney wrote songs and a band called the Beatles played them.
Taylor Swift’s discography released as her alone, no band looks like this

Taylor Swift - 8 of the 11 tracks co-written
Fearless - 6 of the 13 tracks co written.
Speak Now - I think she gets full credit on all 14 tracks here
Red - 7 of the 15 tracks are co written
1989 - 12 of the 13 tracks are co written
Reputation - 15 of the 15 tracks are co written
Lover - 15 of the 18 tracks are co written
Folklore - 15 of the 16 tracks are co written
Evermore - 14 of the 15 tracks are co written

Take any solo act like Neil Young, Bob Dylan, who ever you want, there’s no way they’re releasing any album with that amount of track’s co written and claiming it under their name!

If Taylor Swift was in a band, I’d have respect. Instead she’s fool who claims to have written ALL her own songs. Yeah, you co-wrote them. She’s an industry act.
If she gets kids picking up guitars, it’s the best that could come out of it.

Date: January 25, 2022 22:52

Paddy
retired_dog
Paddy
What a fool.

What fools.

(irony off)

Take any solo act like Neil Young, Bob Dylan, who ever you want, there’s no way they’re releasing any album with that amount of track’s co written and claiming it under their name!

If Taylor Swift was in a band, I’d have respect. Instead she’s fool who claims to have written ALL her own songs. Yeah, you co-wrote them. She’s an industry act.

Next thing you'll be telling us that only one person can design a building, that more than one architect means it's a fake building. Even though you're still not sure about what all she wrote.

Got it. You are the highest master of knowledge regarding the existence of what something is/should be, especially the cultural aspects of what defines a songwriter.

Fortunately no one asked about your respect or for your wrong opinion.

Who else sucks, then? Black Sabbath? Soundgarden? Led Zeppelin? AC/DC? U2? The Who? Pearl Jam? Zac Brown? So many bands and solo artists. Going by your ridiculous opinion, they all suck because more than one person wrote songs. Yet alone all the early albums of the Stones and Beatles. The early albums by the Stones and Beatles are fake because of how many covers are on them.

Bob Dylan's SELF PORTRAIT is fake because of how many not written by Bob Dylan songs are on it. There are 8 out of 24 songs. His self titled album has zero Dylan songs on it. What a foolish industry act he was.

Date: January 25, 2022 23:27

GasLightStreet
Paddy
retired_dog
Paddy
What a fool.

What fools.

(irony off)

Next thing you'll be telling us that only one person can design a building, that more than one architect means it's a fake building. Even though you're still not sure about what all she wrote

To take your example. No architect claims complete ownership and says the designed the building when it was a team.

A team of songwriters usually are a band. A person who issues their name and claims to be a SOLO architect of her music when the opposite is the truth.

Can you see the difference between a SOLO artist and a team of artists which is a band?

Taylor’s claims are the same as someone on a team claiming responsibility for all victory. Admit it’s a team effort! Don’t claim to have written ALL the material and release it under your name when the truth is different.

I’ll say it again a BAND is different to a SOLO effort. Did Elton John DENY Bernie Taupins input? No, he never claimed to have written all the words.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 26, 2022 02:45

Great version of Waterloo Sunset.....

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: January 26, 2022 04:11

Stuff like this always makes me laugh at SOME Y'ALL Stones' fans on this Board. I am from the US, but I remember first hearing "There's No Other Way" by Blur around the time that the Stone Roses, Primal Scream, Ride, and the Charlatans UK exploded on the UK music scene (and the world, except for the US, scene) and took over the music press like NME, Melody Maker, Q, Vox, etc. MUCH like the Stones, et al did in the mid-60s. Blur proved to be among the most successful and enduring acts of the BritPop movement of the early 1990s, and their 2009 and 2012 Hype Park shows were/are the stuff of legend. Go listen to them.

For anyone on here who doesn't know (or acknowledge) what Blur did or that Albarn is incredibly talented and respected by his peers and contemporaries means that he or she has remained deliberately ignorant of Blur or he or she has trouble appreciating anything beyond the Stones and those within their immediate sphere of contemporaries.

Remember, when the Stones asked the Stone Roses to open for them in 1989, the Roses' response was you ought to open for us! Say what you want, but the Stones weathered the storm.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 26, 2022 04:59

stonesstein
Stuff like this always makes me laugh at SOME Y'ALL Stones' fans on this Board. I am from the US, but I remember first hearing "There's No Other Way" by Blur around the time that the Stone Roses, Primal Scream, Ride, and the Charlatans UK exploded on the UK music scene (and the world, except for the US, scene) and took over the music press like NME, Melody Maker, Q, Vox, etc. MUCH like the Stones, et al did in the mid-60s. Blur proved to be among the most successful and enduring acts of the BritPop movement of the early 1990s, and their 2009 and 2012 Hype Park shows were/are the stuff of legend. Go listen to them.

For anyone on here who doesn't know (or acknowledge) what Blur did or that Albarn is incredibly talented and respected by his peers and contemporaries means that he or she has remained deliberately ignorant of Blur or he or she has trouble appreciating anything beyond the Stones and those within their immediate sphere of contemporaries.

Remember, when the Stones asked the Stone Roses to open for them in 1989, the Roses' response was you ought to open for us! Say what you want, but the Stones weathered the storm.

Surely writing in blue takes you a step above us normals here, but still, even from a higher place your overview seems to be a bit clouded because I rarely see a voice here that puts down what Albarn achieved as a musician. I don't have to say that "Parklife" is one of my all time favourite songs (which in fact it really is!) to say that it usually stinks if artists put other artists down, for whatever reason, but usually as a publicity-seeking stunt in phases of a waning career.

Posted by: GhostTown2021 ()
Date: January 26, 2022 05:09

Paddy
I’ll say it again a BAND is different to a SOLO effort. Did Elton John DENY Bernie Taupins input? No, he never claimed to have written all the words.

Where can I get these albums by 'Elton & Bernie' duo? smiling smiley

That aside, here are the co-writing credits of couple of solo artists:

TIC 11/11
MO 10/10
CH 10 /15

StB 3/9
PC 3/10
WS 2/14
GitD 5/12

Make of that what you will.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 26, 2022 05:26

Hot take

Date: January 26, 2022 14:06

GasLightStreet
His attempt at back peddling was pathetic, his limp statement that what he said was "taken out of context" - utter rubbish.

When Albarn was asked if he thinks a lot of modern musicians rely on sound and attitude, he responded, “name me someone who’s not.” After the interviewer cited Taylor Swift as an “excellent songwriter,” Albarn offered up a blunt response. “She doesn’t write her own songs,” he said.

The interviewer pressed Albarn saying “of course she does” and that she co-writes some of her music. “That doesn’t count,” Albarn responded. “I know what co-writing is. Co-writing is very different to writing. I’m not hating on anybody, I’m just saying there’s a big difference between a songwriter and a songwriter who co-writes. Doesn’t mean that the outcome can’t be really great.”

So co-writing and... writing are different? Writing is writing.

Has anyone ever asked Keith what he thinks, and thought, about Mick coming up with the lick or riff and music to Brown Sugar?

Obviously not all the songs they wrote together were written together, just like Lennon and McCartney. And not all the songs they wrote together did they write from the beginning - Jumpin' Jack Flash is a good example.

Who is this geezer? He was in a band called Gorilaz? He's badmouthing Taylor Swift and and he's playing at Disney World or whatever it is in California.

Sounds like a dying career. Which is quite charming considering what he said about the Stones:

“The greatest exponent of that is the Rolling Stones, who just couldn’t let it go,” he said. “It’s disappointing. Not to say that I didn’t absolutely love the Rolling Stones in their heyday — they were magnificent. But do other stuff in your life. Singing ‘(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction’ when you’re pushing 80? Come on.”

He sounds like an old person in the 1970s - "oh those awful Rolling Stones with that Mick Jagger."

Disappointing, eh? Wow. What a pathetic person.

Again, all I can say "Are we looking at the same interview?" All he is doing is NOT fawning over the Stones? Or Taylor S. That's no put down; good for Damon to say whatever is on his mind.

Date: January 27, 2022 03:55

Paddy
GasLightStreet
Paddy
retired_dog
Paddy
What a fool.

What fools.

(irony off)

Next thing you'll be telling us that only one person can design a building, that more than one architect means it's a fake building. Even though you're still not sure about what all she wrote

To take your example. No architect claims complete ownership and says the designed the building when it was a team.

A team of songwriters usually are a band. A person who issues their name and claims to be a SOLO architect of her music when the opposite is the truth.

Can you see the difference between a SOLO artist and a team of artists which is a band?

Taylor’s claims are the same as someone on a team claiming responsibility for all victory. Admit it’s a team effort! Don’t claim to have written ALL the material and release it under your name when the truth is different.

You sidestepped the point about an architect in regard with a solo artist.

Solo artists write with other people as well. I can only think of one solo artist that never wrote with anyone else - Willis Alan Ramsey. He only has one LP released.

It doesn't matter if a solo artist wrote solo or with others. It's their release. Your argument is weak and foundless. The Stones' first LP, regardless of UK or US, only has one Jagger/Richards song on it. So... it's not a Stones album for you.

That's basically what you're saying.

WEAK! Give it up!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 27, 2022 06:07

GasLightStreet
Paddy
GasLightStreet
Paddy
retired_dog
Paddy
What a fool.

What fools.

(irony off)

You sidestepped the point about an architect in regard with a solo artist.

Solo artists write with other people as well. I can only think of one solo artist that never wrote with anyone else - Willis Alan Ramsey. He only has one LP released.

It doesn't matter if a solo artist wrote solo or with others. It's their release. Your argument is weak and foundless. The Stones' first LP, regardless of UK or US, only has one Jagger/Richards song on it. So... it's not a Stones album for you.

That's basically what you're saying.

WEAK! Give it up!

I can't believe that moron, Albarn, created an argument as to whether 'co-writing' material is real writing, and we have some people on IORR that fall for that argument.

Take a step back and think about it...it's ludicrous.

Do comedy writing teams actually write? If a singer has backup singers, are they actually considered to be doing the vocals?

Is Blondie under the stage, not actually a guitar player? COME ON!

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: January 27, 2022 06:23

retired_dog
stonesstein

Surely writing in blue takes you a step above us normals here, but still, even from a higher place your overview seems to be a bit clouded because I rarely see a voice here that puts down what Albarn achieved as a musician. I don't have to say that "Parklife" is one of my all time favourite songs (which in fact it really is!) to say that it usually stinks if artists put other artists down, for whatever reason, but usually as a publicity-seeking stunt in phases of a waning career.

Surely, retired_dog, writing in blue hardly takes me above anyone. I originally wrote in blue so I could easily find my posts later on. Now, I write in blue to draw comments from people who have nothing else to do but comment on the fact that I write in blue.

I'll not dare question the accuracy of that which you wrote, though, but much, though not all, of that which appeared before what I first wrote reeked of being dismissive of Albarn and Blur.

BTW, I think that Parklife is also one of my all timers. Oy!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: January 27, 2022 08:04

I’ll say it again. SHE said in HER tweet SHE writes ALL HER OWN music.
And that blatantly ain’t true.

Take your Taylor and shove her. I’ll take blur any day.
He co wrote some tunes. He didn’t release them as Damon Albarn. He co wrote then with 4 other guys and called it blur. A band. He didn’t claim he wrote them all.

That’s it. It was her words, which are drama Queen lies that caused me to respond.

All the people
So many people
And they all go hand-in-hand
Hand-in-hand through their parklife
Know what I mean?

Date: January 27, 2022 08:36

stonesstein
retired_dog
stonesstein

Surely, retired_dog, writing in blue hardly takes me above anyone. I originally wrote in blue so I could easily find my posts later on. Now, I write in blue to draw comments from people who have nothing else to do but comment on the fact that I write in blue.

I'll not dare question the accuracy of that which you wrote, though, but much, though not all, of that which appeared before what I first wrote reeked of being dismissive of Albarn and Blur.

BTW, I think that Parklife is also one of my all timers. Oy!

Ah, oy, let's forget that Albarn thing. What really fascinates me in the moment is you writing in blue. Despite an excellent search function here - would it confuse you if I also write in blue? Or even cause a copyright claim? Just curious. Old, retired, but still curious!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 27, 2022 08:48

Writing in white is safer .........

ROCKMAN

Date: January 27, 2022 09:54

Rockman
Writing in white is safer .........

...and much less offensive - could hardly create a shitstorm, should not be underestimated these days...
...but probably as exciting as safer s..!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 27, 2022 10:00

Dont matter what ole Damon said ...
Ya hear worse coming from women trying ta piss with guys ....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 27, 2022 10:04

Paddy

He co wrote some tunes. He didn’t release them as Damon Albarn. He co wrote then with 4 other guys and called it blur. A band. He didn’t claim he wrote them all.

That’s it. It was her words, which are drama Queen lies that caused me to respond.

All the people
So many people
And they all go hand-in-hand
Hand-in-hand through their parklife
Know what I mean?

How do you know that? Apparently, she does just that. However, in the music world of today, producers also want a piece of the cake and make sure they add their "magic" later on in the process, hence getting their credits.

It would have been different if Swift added some small parts on other people's songs, wouldn't it?

Date: January 27, 2022 16:12

Paddy

What the hell are you talking about? She didn't claim she wrote them all either.

So he's a 'co-writer' too? Ergo, according to himself, not a writer?

Now that's funny.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 27, 2022 17:40

treaclefingers

Now that's funny.

He wrote Blur's music with the group's guitarist, Graham Coxon. The 'Blur' song-writing credit is to ensure the drummer and bassist get their share of the royalties. That's my understanding, anyway.

Date: January 27, 2022 17:56

Why make a hen out of a feather? Does Paddy, or Damon, really deserve the IORR inquisition? His name is not Demon in that case...

Date: January 27, 2022 18:10

Big Al
treaclefingers

Now that's funny.

He wrote Blur's music with the group's guitarist, Graham Coxon. The 'Blur' song-writing credit is to ensure the drummer and bassist get their share of the royalties. That's my understanding, anyway.

I've no quibble with that, or with Blur. That's fine and makes sense. It's him slagging an artist because she's co-written, as though she actually had no part in the writing BECAUSE it's co-written, that's the issue.

If he thinks she's a fraud then he should just say so and provide some proof, rather than state songs that are co-written aren't valid.

For whatever respect one may have for him as an artist or his past works, he's a bit of a bonehead for those comments.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 27, 2022 18:35

treaclefingers
Big Al
treaclefingers

Now that's funny.

I've no quibble with that, or with Blur. That's fine and makes sense. It's him slagging an artist because she's co-written, as though she actually had no part in the writing BECAUSE it's co-written, that's the issue.

If he thinks she's a fraud then he should just say so and provide some proof, rather than state songs that are co-written aren't valid.

For whatever respect one may have for him as an artist or his past works, he's a bit of a bonehead for those comments.

I think that Damon's point is that nowadays more and more artist relay on a pool of professional "song-crafters" (composers/arrangers/musicians/whatever, imposed by the record company or hired by the artist himself). Professionals that tend to be the same for most artists, with the result that so many pop songs sound alike.

I truly don't have a clue if Taylor Smith is one of those artists.

For sure the current state is nothing new in the music business. Motown, for example.

C

Date: January 27, 2022 19:48

liddas
treaclefingers
Big Al
treaclefingers

Now that's funny.

I think that Damon's point is that nowadays more and more artist relay on a pool of professional "song-crafters" (composers/arrangers/musicians/whatever, imposed by the record company or hired by the artist himself). Professionals that tend to be the same for most artists, with the result that so many pop songs sound alike.

I truly don't have a clue if Taylor Smith is one of those artists.

For sure the current state is nothing new in the music business. Motown, for example.

C

And so I won't argue with you on that, because that is probably his point. At issue is his inability to clearly articulate that point, slagging someone without evidence along the way. He has no idea what he's talking about vis-a-vis Taylor and if he evidence he should produce it (of course he doesn't).

So why even go there? I don't listen to her music, not my thing but I understand that she wrote at least some of the songs for her first album herself, as a teenager. Clearly she can write a pop hook.

And guess what...NOW, he's 'ureservedly' apologized:

[www.ctvnews.ca]

At least he had the presence of mind to apologize, but probably more to do with the 'slanderous and damaging' effect this had on Swift. I'm sure Taylor's lawyers were absolutely salivating until they realized this dude probably doesn't have enough money to take.

So...case closed, he recanted. What a goober.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-27 19:49 by treaclefingers.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home