Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Feb 26 1973, Randwick Racecourse - Happy
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 25, 2022 00:45

thomashanck
i think they are 2 different shows,
in the snippet from crossfire he wears the blue jumpsuit,
in the happy-video a jacket
Yes that one. And at 37 seconds there is a shot from the 1972 tour with Jagger wave to the crowd . That is not from the movie L&G. It would be great if they have a full 1972 concert in that quality

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-25 01:01 by Taylor1.

Posted by: exil ()
Date: January 25, 2022 06:23

Great stuff.love it.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: January 25, 2022 12:08

automaticchanger
john lomax
This is so awesome!!! Automatic Changer - is there any other footage on the way?

My upload is the complete film that Deniz shot - with a vantage point like his it's understandable that he'd put the camera away and enjoy the show after a while, haha.

Yes, definitely understandable. I am amazed that he was able to do such a great job of filming that.....The Randwick Racecourse gig is a bit of a mystery because there are hardly any photos of it, and this is the first film footage I have ever seen. My uncle was there and he remembers them being taken to the stage in a horse and carriage, and then he says he remembers that they entered the stage through the holes in the canvas backdrop (which you can see behind Charlie) - he said the security guy who sat on the stage (I think his name was Leroy) held the canvas open wto let the band step through....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 25, 2022 12:33

Wonderful stuff! Thank you!

The 70's live "Happy" - that was one of the highlights of the show. That Mick and Keith colloboration... both musically and and visually The Glimmer Twins at their best. We should not underestimate Mick's contribution there. Mick's holding of the chorus, and the way he sings/halfly shouts 'Appy!' with his unique voice at its best defines musically the chorus to me - something totally missing in latter day versions. Besides his shownmanship is at its best and he really backs up Keith's singing part with his movements, like making sure that the crowd goes wild (no rush to toilets then). All that is history now...

- Doxa

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: January 25, 2022 16:56

Did Keith use a slide during Happy on this tour? I can't make one out in the video but his left hand motions around 2:20 look like he could be using one. In the audio it sounds like Taylor is using a slide during the outro.

I think I recall seeing pictures of Keith with a slide during Happy on the 75 tour.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 25, 2022 17:13

Crackinup
Did Keith use a slide during Happy on this tour? I can't make one out in the video but his left hand motions around 2:20 look like he could be using one. In the audio it sounds like Taylor is using a slide during the outro.

I think I recall seeing pictures of Keith with a slide during Happy on the 75 tour.

Keith played slide on all live versions of the 1970's. 1988 Expensive Winos and then 1989 Stones were the first tours he did not play slide.

Mathijs

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: January 25, 2022 18:17

Gold Stones era.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: January 25, 2022 23:30

Mathijs
Crackinup

Keith played slide on all live versions of the 1970's. 1988 Expensive Winos and then 1989 Stones were the first tours he did not play slide.

Mathijs
Mathis, do you know which 1972 concert the snippet at 37 seconds on the Cross Fire hurricane promo posted above is from. It is really clear. Do you think they might have the full concert on film

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 26, 2022 02:56

john lomax
automaticchanger
john lomax
This is so awesome!!! Automatic Changer - is there any other footage on the way?

My upload is the complete film that Deniz shot - with a vantage point like his it's understandable that he'd put the camera away and enjoy the show after a while, haha.

Yes, definitely understandable. I am amazed that he was able to do such a great job of filming that.....The Randwick Racecourse gig is a bit of a mystery because there are hardly any photos of it, and this is the first film footage I have ever seen. My uncle was there and he remembers them being taken to the stage in a horse and carriage, and then he says he remembers that they entered the stage through the holes in the canvas backdrop (which you can see behind Charlie) - he said the security guy who sat on the stage (I think his name was Leroy) held the canvas open wto let the band step through....

seem to remember at least mick coming onstage in a similar manner in a c-cksucker blues scene

not the horse and carriage but the hole in the canvas

Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: January 26, 2022 03:18

Taylor1
Mathis, do you know which 1972 concert the snippet at 37 seconds on the Cross Fire hurricane promo posted above is from. It is really clear. Do you think they might have the full concert on film

I checked the clip and I'm pretty sure it's from 06/15/72 Albuquerque. Mick's wearing the purple jumpsuit with the silver jacket like in Long Beach, but Taylor's wearing a light coloured shirt - that combination happened at Albuquerque, and I know Robert Frank shot film at that show because he used a clip of Happy in CS Blues, which I synced up with the audience recording:

[www.youtube.com]

They definitely do not have the full concert, as Robert would not have shot any concert in full, just certain songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-26 03:18 by automaticchanger.

Date: January 26, 2022 04:07

automaticchanger
Taylor1

I checked the clip and I'm pretty sure it's from 06/15/72 Albuquerque. Mick's wearing the purple jumpsuit with the silver jacket like in Long Beach, but Taylor's wearing a light coloured shirt - that combination happened at Albuquerque, and I know Robert Frank shot film at that show because he used a clip of Happy in CS Blues, which I synced up with the audience recording:

[www.youtube.com]

They definitely do not have the full concert, as Robert would not have shot any concert in full, just certain songs.
Thanks for the great info.Maybe collectively Frank filmed enough for a whole show.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 26, 2022 04:51

Warren McKay -------------- Basement News #18 --- April 1997

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 26, 2022 08:57

I feel it is important to mention that this (26th) was my 21st birthday.

(I mean, I wasn't there or anything, and in fact for various reasons *cough* I can't remember that day at all. But it feels somehow significant . . )

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 26, 2022 09:24

....'appy Berfday Aqua .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: January 26, 2022 11:49

Rockman

Warren McKay -------------- Basement News #18 --- April 1997

Great story Rockman. Interesting about the girl knocked unconscious by a full beer bottle. My cousin was at that gig and, while lining up outside waiting to get in, his friend was hit in the head by a flying beer bottle and was also knocked unconscious. My cousin was then faced with a terrible dilemma - to go with his friend in the ambulance to the hospital, or to leave him and stay for the show......he chose to stick with his friend, so he never got to see the Stones!!!! I am not sure I would be such a good friend.....

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 26, 2022 15:49

Well, it's a great story from Warren McKay!

Date: January 27, 2022 12:37

Taylor1
automaticchanger
Taylor1

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for the great info.Maybe collectively Frank filmed enough for a whole show.

Really doubt it -he took a handful of 8MM camera's with him, which have cassettes of about 7 minutes of film. You use the first minutes or so to adjust coloring etc, so there's about 6 minutes of film in every camera.

This is the same reason why there is no complete MSG 1969.

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 27, 2022 12:54

Mathijs

Really doubt it -he took a handful of 8MM camera's with him, which have cassettes of about 7 minutes of film. You use the first minutes or so to adjust coloring etc, so there's about 6 minutes of film in every camera.

Mathijs
It's 16mm format. 8mm never was considered a "pro" format so it was 16 that was chosen and it fit the "reportage" angle adopted by Frank.
35 mm stock was far too pricey and cameras are too heavy to be carried on the shoulder.
[cinemasojourns.com]

Depending on the size of the film carrier above the camera (the "Mickey ears") Frank could shoot up to half an hour of footage before reloading. I guess he took the 25cm "ears" so he could shoot 21 minutes).

It's very likely some members of the tour (Jagger comes to mind) also documented the 72 tour with their personal 8mm camera.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-27 13:09 by dcba.

Date: January 27, 2022 13:49

dcba
Mathijs

Mathijs
It's 16mm format. 8mm never was considered a "pro" format so it was 16 that was chosen and it fit the "reportage" angle adopted by Frank.
35 mm stock was far too pricey and cameras are too heavy to be carried on the shoulder.
[cinemasojourns.com]

Depending on the size of the film carrier above the camera (the "Mickey ears") Frank could shoot up to half an hour of footage before reloading. I guess he took the 25cm "ears" so he could shoot 21 minutes).

It's very likely some members of the tour (Jagger comes to mind) also documented the 72 tour with their personal 8mm camera.

I stand corrected on the 8MM. But the 7/8 minutes film were both confirmed by Robert Frank and by Albert Maysles. Maysles also stated you had to shoot at high speed as there was insufficient light on stage at MSG. They had to make shooting plans to decide beforehand which track to film with multiple cameras and when to reload. Rambler was omitted as it ran too long for the camera's to shoot without reloading.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-27 16:04 by Mathijs.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 27, 2022 14:28

Aquamarine
I feel it is important to mention that this (26th) was my 21st birthday.

(I mean, I wasn't there or anything, and in fact for various reasons *cough* I can't remember that day at all. But it feels somehow significant . . )

Happy Birthday, fellow Aquarian! The ocean children....

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: January 27, 2022 15:19

Mathijs
Taylor1
automaticchanger
Taylor1

I checked the clip and I'm pretty sure it's from 06/15/72 Albuquerque. Mick's wearing the purple jumpsuit with the silver jacket like in Long Beach, but Taylor's wearing a light coloured shirt - that combination happened at Albuquerque, and I know Robert Frank shot film at that show because he used a clip of Happy

This is the same reason why there is no complete MSG 1969.

Mathijs

Not 100%, but I thought StonesDoug and a group of lucky Shidoobees had an evening (2012?) with Albert Maysles where they saw a full MSG show including, Midnight Rambler.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: January 27, 2022 15:52

...saw a full show from MSG '69 including Midnight Rambler...

-Thats disgusting!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-27 15:56 by S.T.P.

Date: January 27, 2022 16:17

Hello

I am not an english speaker.
May you please help me with the meaning?

Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade

1.- Who did not want get him no trade?. He, himself (Keith) or the strangers.
2.- What does "get no trade" exactly mean?

Never got a flash out of cocktails
Never got a lift out of Lear jets
When I can fly way back home

Never Got a flash out of cocktails. No idea of what it really means. (besides "flash" as related to drugs).

When I got some flesh off the bone. No idea either.

Never got a lift out of Lear jets. He never travelled by a private plane?eye rolling smiley
When I can fly way back home. When he is able to go home by plane? eye rolling smiley

I guess he is using metaphors and so on but I am not able to understand them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-27 16:28 by emotionalbarbecue.

Date: January 27, 2022 16:38

shawnriffhard1
Not 100%, but I thought StonesDoug and a group of lucky Shidoobees had an evening (2012?) with Albert Maysles where they saw a full MSG show including, Midnight Rambler.

I remember an evening like that as well, but in my mind it was also confirmed that what is released now is just about all Maysles had filmed.

I do know for sure all three shows plus Baltimore, Detroit and Altamont are available in excellent soundboard to some collectors.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-27 19:06 by Mathijs.

Posted by: yearsinthemaking ()
Date: January 27, 2022 16:49

So is it correct that the clip at 56 seconds is from the Randwick concert? It certainly see,

Date: January 27, 2022 18:15

s there anyway with today's technology someone like Ludwig could take a bootleg live show and enhance the sound to the level of like Flashpoint or Get Yer Ya Ya's Out. The Austraila 1973 shows were great but the bootlegs, even Perth, have crappy sound quality

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 27, 2022 18:54

Taylor1
ยจ The Austraila 1973 shows were great but the bootlegs, even Perth, have crappy sound quality

??

Both Sydney shows and Perth are excellect, as far as I'm concerned

Date: January 27, 2022 18:58

Rome 1970, Vienna 1970 and Nashville 1972.....now that's crappy.
Perth and Sydney are way better sounding than most official releases.

Date: January 27, 2022 19:26

IMO,Perth and Sydney have inferior sound compared to Flashpoint and Ya Ya's. They sound dry and the guitars sound distant and thin

Date: January 27, 2022 19:29

It's a raw capture. Anyway, all is well, you can listen to Flashpoint then.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home