Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: Keith Richards Main Offender DeLuxe Edition.
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 7, 2022 16:44

He seemed emotional. Sarah, Babi, and Bobby are gone now. Bobby, especially, seemed to nearly tear him up.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 7, 2022 20:36

Rocky Dijon (and everyone) it's hard for me to see anything real these days. Please forgive me if I'm wrong about Keith's intentions/motives.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 8, 2022 04:17

Given this upcoming release, I was wondering what sort of numbers they were expecting for sales.

It also had me question what the original release did in 1992, so I looked...very interesting:

[bestsellingalbums.org]

Over 600000 units for Talk is Cheap, 40890 units for Main Offender, and 24210 for the Palladium album.

I was kind of shocked at how low the two latter albums sold. What the hell does that mean for sales expectations for the rereleases?

I guess they must make money on them, but it has to be pretty marginal...what are they going to sell, 10% of the original release?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 8, 2022 04:26

Rocky Dijon
He seemed emotional. Sarah, Babi, and Bobby are gone now. Bobby, especially, seemed to nearly tear him up.

Great point. Thank you.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 8, 2022 08:23

treaclefingers
Given this upcoming release, I was wondering what sort of numbers they were expecting for sales.

It also had me question what the original release did in 1992, so I looked...very interesting:

[bestsellingalbums.org]

Over 600000 units for Talk is Cheap, 40890 units for Main Offender, and 24210 for the Palladium album.

I was kind of shocked at how low the two latter albums sold. What the hell does that mean for sales expectations for the rereleases?

I guess they must make money on them, but it has to be pretty marginal...what are they going to sell, 10% of the original release?

maybe keith just wants to make us diehard fans happy money be damned

because he sure ain't gonna make much

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 8, 2022 08:44

well, super deluxe editions (which are usually very overpriced) aren't a bad way to make money. The profit margin is much higher than other physical releases.
In this case they sell us a box and some merch for some 100 Euros (= 140 for the deluxe box minus 17 for the double CD minus 24 for the LPs)…

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: March 8, 2022 19:02

[twitter.com]

I always thought it was “Doesn’t matter, honey” rather than “Doesn’t matter how many.”

Apparently Keith agrees!

Date: March 8, 2022 19:07

slewan
well, super deluxe editions (which are usually very overpriced) aren't a bad way to make money. The profit margin is much higher than other physical releases.
In this case they sell us a box and some merch for some 100 Euros (= 140 for the deluxe box minus 17 for the double CD minus 24 for the LPs)…

Well true, the margin is very high. But let's say it's $100 US/box profit. Maybe on the high side, but for arguments sake.

How many deluxe boxes is he going to sell, 1000? If it's that high, $100,000 profit. Probably not even that, but for arguments sake. Of that, how much goes to Keith?

I guess the record companies, doing this often enough with enough artists make their scratch that way.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 8, 2022 20:14

MelBelli
[twitter.com]

I always thought it was “Doesn’t matter, honey” rather than “Doesn’t matter how many.”

Apparently Keith agrees!

recording accoustic solo version of some of the 'Main Offender' songs would add some real value to the deluxe box

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 8, 2022 22:23

ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers

[bestsellingalbums.org]

Interest waned pretty quickly. Which is the general direction most solo artists from big known bands happens. Novelty, and then interest dropping. Look at George Harrison. His biggest was his first. What were the sales of Mick's first? And subsequent ones? The first Keith release had a semi-hit in Take It So Hard, probably owing to its Stones like sound. Main Offender had no comparable hit song. And live releases generally sell a lot less.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 11, 2022 16:50

Reviews: the German HiFi-Magazine 'Audio' (04/2022, p.140) gives for the music 3.5 out of 5 stars and for the sound-quality also 3.5 out of 5 stars. And the German HiFi-Magazine 'Stereo' (04/2022, p.142) says only that the LP has an impeccable pressing quality. For comparison: the same 'Audio'-reviewer gives for the music as well as the sound-quality 4 out of 5 stars each for Marianne Faithfull's 'Vagabond Ways'.

Date: March 12, 2022 02:38

24FPS
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers

[bestsellingalbums.org]

Interest waned pretty quickly. Which is the general direction most solo artists from big known bands happens. Novelty, and then interest dropping. Look at George Harrison. His biggest was his first. What were the sales of Mick's first? And subsequent ones? The first Keith release had a semi-hit in Take It So Hard, probably owing to its Stones like sound. Main Offender had no comparable hit song. And live releases generally sell a lot less.

Those are fair points that I totally agree with. I just don't understand why the record company would bother rereleasing two titles that didn't sell well in the first place. Even if Keith wanted to, and didn't care about the money...the record company sure as hell does.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 12, 2022 06:21

Keith Richards celebrates 30th anniversary of his Main Offender solo record

In his only Australian interview, guitar-slinging Keith Richards reveals his alter ego to fans — and how he found valuable lost recordings for his new album.

Kathy McCabe
March 12, 2022

Keith Richards, rock’n’roll God, reformed hellraiser, gentleman gardener.
The rock titan knows it’s a hilariously incongruous image to conjure, the Rolling Stones guitar-slinger wielding a rake or slashing hedges.

But ask him how an inveterate road warrior occupied his time when the pandemic forced his band to halt their seemingly endless world tour, and Richards says he stopped and watched the garden grow.

He has hunkered down with wife Patti, daughters Theodora and Alexandra and pets at his rural pile in Connecticut, east of New York, for many months over the past two years.

“Me, I sat down and realised I had a garden. I’d never seen it do all of the things, like spring and summer … so that was novel,” he says, punctuating the revelation with his characteristic cackle.

When the swashbuckling rock pirate wasn’t reading epic seafaring tomes like the Master and Commander series by Patrick O’Brian, he was diverted by musical pursuits.

He tinkered with the songs earmarked for the first Rolling Stones studio album since 2016’s Blue & Lonesome, which was a covers collection of their favourite blues tracks.
The record remains a work-in-progress as Richards, Mick Jagger and their team plot the campaign to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Stones this year.
Richards also continued his own waltz down the memory lane of his solo career, one that was ignited with Talk Is Cheap in 1988. He reissued that record in 2019 and marks the 30th anniversary of his second album Main Offender with a special edition release this week.

He had always insisted the Stones would be his only band, but when his and Jagger’s relationship soured in the 80s over the band’s direction and the frontman devoted himself to making and touring his solo work, Richards formed the X-Pensive Winos.

It was a “mutual admiration society” of musicians who were either mates or players he respected and whose band name was coined during recording sessions in Canada.

“I had to go away for the day and I left them in the studio. And I also left at the studio a case of Chateau Lafite Rothschild (worth about $3000 in 2022 prices). It was a gift from a friend, you know, it was the stuff!” Richards says.
“When I came back, that thing has gone. Well, I just looked around the room and went ‘I’ve got your name, darlings, you’re just like expensive winos!”

His chief Wino is drummer Steve Jordan. The pair had crossed paths briefly when Jordan played percussion on the Stones’ Dirty Work record in 1986. He then enlisted the musician for the recording of Jumpin’ Jack Flash by Aretha Franklin for the Whoopi Goldberg film of the same name.

When he was recruiting for the Winos in the mid 80s, he sought the counsel of Charlie Watts who enthusiastically endorsed Jordan.
And 35 years later, and ahead of his death in August last year, Watts also “anointed” Jordan to take his seat with the Stones.
Jordan made his concert debut with the band when they resumed their No Filter tour in the US last September.

“Charlie nominated him and put him in position before he left us, ‘Steve Jordan, that’s the man.’ Whatever you say, Charlie,” Richard says.

“Yeah, Steve and I have known each other years and years and years; Charlie entrusted the stool to him and working with Steve is great, he’s slightly different, different dynamics and stuff, but it’s all for the better.”

The pair reunited last week in New York for a charity concert, along with fellow Winos Charley Drayton (who played and recorded with Cold Chisel after the death of drummer Steve Prestwich) guitarist Waddy Wachtel, keyboardist Ivan Neville and singer Sarah Dash.

That gig served as a launch of sorts for the 30th anniversary reissue this week of Main Offender, his second solo record first released in 1992 featuring singles Wicked As It Seems, Eileen and Hate It When You Leave.
Deep dives into his treasure trove of tapes and film and memorabilia unearthed a recording of their Winos Live In London ‘92’ performance at the Town & Country Club, Kentish Town which has been restored to include on the 2022 edition of Main Offender.

“What I was really happy about, and didn’t know existed, was that live record,” she says.

“I sent people out searching every little nook and cranny and it was hiding … it was just mislaid in a tape box probably. I mean, it was 30 years ago and we have moved around a bit.”

Listening back to the tapes as Richards and his team were preparing the new Main Offender box set was a revelation to the songwriter. After a few decades of writing almost exclusively with Jagger for the Stones, collaborating with the X-Pensive Winos was a different beast.

And yet he remains as mystified by the magical process of melding musical notes with words as anyone else, even after 60 years in the service of songwriting.

“They all start bits and pieces, you don’t know quite what to do with them, but somehow before your ears and eyes they sort of meld together; you are not doing anything, you’re just watching this thing happen, and it’s just a matter of whether you keep it going or chop it off for it. It’s a fascinating process,” he says.

“I guess it is the mystery of it all. I’ve just sat around with a lot of songwriters and nobody can put their finger on it. It’s a feeling, you know.”
The Stones kick off their 60th anniversary year with the release of a revamped version of their 1977 Live At The El Mocambo album in April.

As for their other plans, Richards remains relatively tight-lipped.
“We’re going out again in a few months, in Europe, start off our 60th year victory lap,” he says.

“When I think about a bunch of musicians holding that place for so long, I feel really humble about it now. I didn’t used to … but when you think about all the lives that have been lived around us and the people who listen to us, it’s an amazing thing.”

Will Australia be on that victory lap?
“I’d love to come back down; we’ll see what happens in the next year or two.”
Main Offender is out on March 18.

[www.heraldsun.com.au]

Date: March 12, 2022 09:16

wow lot to unpack there

his only astralian interview?

he reunited in ny last week with sarah dash?

el mocambo conformed and is coming out in april!eye popping smiley

and the stones maybe touring australia in the next couple years

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 12, 2022 09:45

The most excitng thing is the reunion with Sarah Dash
What the hell of journalist!! Unprofessionall

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 12, 2022 16:03

Rocky Dijon

I tend to agree Rocky. He seems to be much more sensitive to these things with Charlie’s passing. I still believe he was really overcome by it in Nashville trying to end Slipping Away.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 14, 2022 18:51

Keith talks to Marc Maron about the reissue, Charlie, and other things. Their 2015 conversation is also included.

[www.wtfpod.com]

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: March 15, 2022 01:28

As publicist of KR reissues, I gave to the website of Télérama (important TV and cultural weekly magazine) his exclusive interview to France (for the subscribers only) :

[www.telerama.fr]

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: March 15, 2022 18:03

He sold out 100 signed prints at official store:

Date: March 15, 2022 18:12

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 15, 2022 22:11

Date: March 15, 2022 22:42

bye bye johnny

[music.apple.com]

Thank you, bbj!

Posted by: roma1927 ()
Date: March 15, 2022 23:04

rogerriffin

Where?

Date: March 16, 2022 20:38

bye bye johnny

[music.apple.com]

i can't figure out how to download this

can someone who can please post here?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 17, 2022 08:18

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: March 17, 2022 20:55

roma1927
rogerriffin

Where?

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: March 17, 2022 23:57

Brian Hiatt interviews Keith:

[www.rollingstone.com]

On behalf of all us, he literally asks “What’s taking so long?” on the album.

Keith dodges and weaves, of course.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: March 18, 2022 03:19

To download the interview

[dcs.megaphone.fm]

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 18, 2022 08:29

Do we know the date of this gig,or is it an amalgam of the two shows

Posted by: IsakSun ()
Date: March 18, 2022 11:20

Delete

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1370
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home