Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tattoo You - bootlegged anniversary edition?
Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: January 14, 2022 23:49

Looking for feedback from anyone who ordered the new Tatoo You release with bonus cd, as I think mine is bootlegged:
- had sticker on outside with "Made in Czech Republic"
- colors on case and pamphlet seem a little faded
- CD read out in car says Track 1, 2 etc instead of song name (it's old CD
player, but still not expected)
- sound quality a little hard to judge, but not convincingly good, for sure
- it was a gift, so don't know what site it was ordered from, but was mailed from address below, along with a "Roling Stones Tongue Face Mask":
The Rolling Stones, 2300 Gainsboro St. Ferndale, MI 48220

If your feedback indicates bootlegged, I'll find out what site it was ordered from and let everyone know...
Thanks, and Keep on Rollin'!

p.s. isn't Charlie's drumming on "Fast Talking, Slow Walking" particularly awesome?

Re: Tattoo You - bootlegged anniversary edition?
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: January 15, 2022 00:08

Did you check matrix number and ifpi codes? That is the easiest way to determine the origin/pressing plant for the CD. Official release has the following:

Album

Matrix CD1: [Universal logo] 00602438349425 A0103329982-0101 26 A00
SID Mastering code CD1: IFPI L552
SID Mould code CD1: IFPI 94xx (xx=two other letters or numbers, id for the moulding machine)

Bonus disc

Matrix CD2: [Universal logo] 00602438349449 A0103329986-0101 62 A00
SID Mastering code CD2: IFPI L556
SID Mould code CD2: IFPI 94xx (xx=two other letters or numbers, id for the moulding machine)

Sound quality of this 2021 remaster is awful. It is an example of one of the worst brickwalled mastering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-15 00:23 by ironbelly.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 15, 2022 11:10

UGot2Rollme

Because it was made by the Czech pressing plant [www.GZMedia.com]. Picture of the Sticker: [www.Discogs.com] .
Maybe GZ Media did only the whole print & packaging while the CDs were made by Sony DADC Austria according to the above IFPI-Molding-Codes (L552, L556).

- colors on case and pamphlet seem a little faded

That's sometimes the manufacturing quality of GZ Media: "The Czechs can do everything from lousy to excellent when it comes to pressing quality" - [iorr.org] .

- CD read out in car says Track 1, 2 etc instead of song name (it's old CD player, but still not expected)

CD-Player showing song names requires the CD-Text feature - not every CD or Player does support it.

- sound quality a little hard to judge, but not convincingly good, for sure

That's the bad Mastering by Stephen Marcussen & Stewart Whitmore - they had 'destroyed' all RS-album-reissues in 2009 by brickwalling.

- it was a gift, so don't know what site it was ordered from, but was mailed from address below, along with a "Roling Stones Tongue Face Mask": The Rolling Stones, 2300 Gainsboro St. Ferndale, MI 48220

This address belongs to [www.ArtistEndeavor.com] - which seem to fulfill the orders of the US RS-Shop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-15 11:35 by Irix.

Date: January 15, 2022 11:52

Irix
UGot2Rollme

Because it was made by the Czech pressing plant [www.GZMedia.com]. Picture of the Sticker: [www.Discogs.com] .
There is a kind of mess here.
Vinyl was made in Czech by GZMedia. Book and box for SuperDeluxe were made in Czech too.

CDs were pressed in Austria, Sony-DADC plant in Salzburg. SID Mastering Codes IFPI L551 - IFPI L560 and SID Mould codes IFPI 94xx belong to that plant.
GZ Digital Media (Lodenice, Czech Republic) have different codes: SID Mastering codes: IFPI LD01 - IFPI LD10, SID Mould codes: IFPI 5Jxx

Paper jacket for CD, however, (apparently) was printed in Czech. So the sticker probably tells a kind of the truth. The package could have been assembled in Czech.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 15, 2022 12:00

ironbelly

The package could have been assembled in Czech.

Yep, seems GZ Media did Vinyl, print/packaging and 'assembling' while the CDs came this time from Sony DACD Austria.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: January 15, 2022 15:47

Hi Irix and ironbelly,
Thanks so much for the info! It appears that what I received is not bootlegged, but it's a disappointment that the Stones have outsourced the production of this (and other?) release in such an inferior way. Definitely a blow to the brand. I find that the sound quality of this release is FAR SUPERIOR playing it off Apple Music into my car speakers, so these discs will just be gathering dust...
Thanks again, keep on rollin!

Date: January 15, 2022 17:02

UGot2Rollme
Hi Irix and ironbelly,
Thanks so much for the info! It appears that what I received is not bootlegged, but it's a disappointment that the Stones have outsourced the production of this (and other?) release in such an inferior way. Definitely a blow to the brand. I find that the sound quality of this release is FAR SUPERIOR playing it off Apple Music into my car speakers, so these discs will just be gathering dust...
Thanks again, keep on rollin!
You are welcome

Hate to tell you, the sound quality of these 2021 CDs is below par. It is inferior to all previous releases.

However, there is a trick. This release was mastered for 'nomad' listening, in car, for jogging etc. It probably sounds good in noisy surrounding and from earbuds. But if you'll try to listen to that one even on an average audio system in normal conditions the experience will be less than pleasant.

I offered a 'blind listening test' some time ago so the members of this forum will decide on 'dream mastering'. Try it. Here is a link
[iorr.org]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 16, 2022 10:38

As soon as the hoopla surrounding the new edition of Tattoo You dies down, I'll try and snatch a SHM CD version from Japan. The Goats Head Soup edition is fantastic. I'm waiting on a deluxe version from my local library, but it may not be the boxset, with a Dolby Atmos surround mix, but just a two-CD set with the remastered version, and bonus cuts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1932
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home