Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Your Favorite Movies Of 2021
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 11, 2022 05:34

hi
so i know this is a bit of an odd dumb topic but i'm always looking for something to watch

don't care the language it's in

if it's something more obscure all the better

thanks

Re: OT: Your Favorite Movies Of 2021
Date: January 11, 2022 05:53

Stones related movie:
The Quiet One, Bill Wyman's documentary. I saw it on Hulu. It was good and Bill is factual. Not especially exciting, but interesting and worth the time.

Date: January 11, 2022 06:14

BitchKeepsBitchin
Stones related movie:
The Quiet One, Bill Wyman's documentary. I saw it on Hulu. It was good and Bill is factual. Not especially exciting, but interesting and worth the time.

thanks got it on dvd

like the part at the end where he's talking about ray charles and in tears

really touching seeing how much he meant to him

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: January 11, 2022 23:30

I really loved Swan Song with Udo Kier - star of Warhol's Frankenstein and Dracula, among many other films. It's a small, quiet, film (starts out slow), but it's excellent IMO.

Date: January 12, 2022 02:19

DEmerson
I really loved Swan Song with Udo Kier - star of Warhol's Frankenstein and Dracula, among many other films. It's a small, quiet, film (starts out slow), but it's excellent IMO.

thanks i'll try to check it out

Posted by: rayrad ()
Date: January 12, 2022 12:11

my other half is a voting BAFTA member

so every december, we end up watching as many films as we can in advance of first round voting in early january

65 this year

these were our way out ahead faves:

Passing - Rebecca Hall's remarkable fever dream of a movie about two african american women in 20s NYC, one of whom is passing for white

The Worst Person In The World - Joachim Trier's wonderfully sympathetic portrait of a millennial woman and her relationship with an older comic book artist. heartbreaking and hilarious in equal measure

Licorice Pizza - another age gap romance - but between a 15 year old boy (Phillip Seymour Hoffman's son in his first acting role) and a 25 year old woman (Alana Haim of the band of the same name) in 70's LA

The Hand of God - Paolo Sorrentino's adaptation of his own youth in 80s napoli. and (tangentially) his (and every other neapolitan's) obsession with maradonna. incredibly, every insane thing that happens is apparently true

C’mon C’mon - Joachim Phoenix is a podcasting anthropologist who unexpectedly finds himself taking his 10 year old nephew on a working trip across the country. gentle, (seemingly) simple and very moving. Gaby Hoffman is fantastic as his sister, the boy's mother

those were our top 5 - but all of the below deserve an honourable mention:

Compartment No. 6
First Cow
Riders of Justice
Paris, 13th District
Surge
Fever Dream
Parallel Mothers
Petite Maman
I’m Your Man
Ali & Ava
After Love
The Bike Thief
The Card Counter
Cyrano
The Electrical Life of Louis Wain
Free Guy
Lamb
Red Rocket
Silent Night

it's subjective, of course, but below are the films we couldn't get on with at all (despite blanket critical praise for some of them...)

The Lost Daughter
Power of the Dog
Spencer
Dune
The Green Knight
The King’s Man
Last Night In Soho
Titane
Zola

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-12 12:14 by rayrad.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 12, 2022 13:16

James Bond No Time to Die

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 12, 2022 14:00

TheGreek

Good pick. The only film I saw at the cinema that year, actually. I hadn't seen any of Daniel Craig's Bond outings, yet was really quite impressed.

As for other films, I'm not really sure. I primarily view everything on Netflix and, admittedly, don't always note the year.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 12, 2022 14:19

I saw only 4 movies of 2021.

No great films.

Two were absolutely a waste of time and money.

Matrix IV was exceptionally stupid and bad. A real insult to the legacy of Matrix I (I haven't seen episodes II and III, so the legacy might have been already compromised)

007 wasn't a bad film in itself, but it was an abysmal James Bond movie. WTF, if they want a new "modern" 007, call him/her something else, double 0 schwa or whatever, but there was no need at all to sacrifice 007's myth on the altar of politically correctness ...

Only one fell in the "not bad" category, "Diabolik" (the new movie adaptation of a very famous Italian cartoon). Probably this could even work abroad.

C

Date: January 12, 2022 16:13

liddas

007 wasn't a bad film in itself, but it was an abysmal James Bond movie. WTF, if they want a new "modern" 007, call him/her something else, double 0 schwa or whatever, but there was no need at all to sacrifice 007's myth on the altar of politically correctness ...

You know, I was semi-expecting expecting the movie to be a load-of-nonsense, politically correct, woke-fest. However, I really didn't think it was. I thought Bond was his cliched self. Not quite how Connery or Moore portrayed Flemming's creation, yet Daniel Craig has the rawness of the former, definitely. Are you talking about further Bond movies? Undoubtedly, things will change, and whether it'll be worth watching despite this, well, who knows?

Date: January 12, 2022 19:03

rayrad
my other half is a voting BAFTA member

so every december, we end up watching as many films as we can in advance of first round voting in early january

65 this year

these were our way out ahead faves:

Passing - Rebecca Hall's remarkable fever dream of a movie about two african american women in 20s NYC, one of whom is passing for white

The Worst Person In The World - Joachim Trier's wonderfully sympathetic portrait of a millennial woman and her relationship with an older comic book artist. heartbreaking and hilarious in equal measure

Licorice Pizza - another age gap romance - but between a 15 year old boy (Phillip Seymour Hoffman's son in his first acting role) and a 25 year old woman (Alana Haim of the band of the same name) in 70's LA

The Hand of God - Paolo Sorrentino's adaptation of his own youth in 80s napoli. and (tangentially) his (and every other neapolitan's) obsession with maradonna. incredibly, every insane thing that happens is apparently true

C’mon C’mon - Joachim Phoenix is a podcasting anthropologist who unexpectedly finds himself taking his 10 year old nephew on a working trip across the country. gentle, (seemingly) simple and very moving. Gaby Hoffman is fantastic as his sister, the boy's mother

those were our top 5 - but all of the below deserve an honourable mention:

Compartment No. 6
First Cow
Riders of Justice
Paris, 13th District
Surge
Fever Dream
Parallel Mothers
Petite Maman
I’m Your Man
Ali & Ava
After Love
The Bike Thief
The Card Counter
Cyrano
The Electrical Life of Louis Wain
Free Guy
Lamb
Red Rocket
Silent Night

it's subjective, of course, but below are the films we couldn't get on with at all (despite blanket critical praise for some of them...)

The Lost Daughter
Power of the Dog
Spencer
Dune
The Green Knight
The King’s Man
Last Night In Soho
Titane
Zola

thanks to you and your other half great list

as for one's you didn't like

i agree with you on green knight

and as for dune i love the original and novels but hate this film

Date: January 12, 2022 19:05

Big Al
liddas

You know, I was semi-expecting expecting the movie to be a load-of-nonsense, politically correct, woke-fest. However, I really didn't think it was. I thought Bond was his cliched self. Not quite how Connery or Moore portrayed Flemming's creation, yet Daniel Craig has the rawness of the former, definitely. Are you talking about further Bond movies? Undoubtedly, things will change, and whether it'll be worth watching despite this, well, who knows?

i haven't seen it yet but i will

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 12, 2022 19:06

I'll go w/ the latest Spider-Man movie!

Date: January 12, 2022 19:06

liddas
I saw only 4 movies of 2021.

No great films.

Two were absolutely a waste of time and money.

Matrix IV was exceptionally stupid and bad. A real insult to the legacy of Matrix I (I haven't seen episodes II and III, so the legacy might have been already compromised)

Only one fell in the "not bad" category, "Diabolik" (the new movie adaptation of a very famous Italian cartoon). Probably this could even work abroad.

C

i'll see if i can find the last one

thanks

Date: January 12, 2022 19:24

LeonidP

I struggle with this ‘Marvel Cinematic Universe’ thing. I don’t know if it’s just a mental block I have, but I simply don’t ‘get’ why these movies are so popular. I’d have undoubtedly loved them aged ten, but adults? They seem to be the biggest fans! Don’t you want a little more substance?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 12, 2022 19:33

Same here Big Al .... gimmie some reality ... gimmie some romance

ROCKMAN

Date: January 12, 2022 19:41

Big Al
LeonidP

I struggle with this ‘Marvel Cinematic Universe’ thing. I don’t know if it’s just a mental block I have, but I simply don’t ‘get’ why these movies are so popular. I’d have undoubtedly loved them aged ten, but adults? They seem to be the biggest fans! Don’t you want a little more substance?

i agree with you on that

and i still read tons of marvel comics

but i just can't get into them with a few exceptions

deadpool, anything with wolverine, and the first couple iron man films

and of those only the iron man films are technically part of disney's marvel cinematic universe

Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: January 12, 2022 20:06

Best movie of 2021 is cry maccho. He is still riding horse at 90

Date: January 12, 2022 20:11

pftw04
Best movie of 2021 is cry maccho. He is still riding horse at 90

yes this one is on my short list

Date: January 12, 2022 21:15

Big Al
TheGreek

Good pick. The only film I saw at the cinema that year, actually. I hadn't seen any of Daniel Craig's Bond outings, yet was really quite impressed.

As for other films, I'm not really sure. I primarily view everything on Netflix and, admittedly, don't always note the year.
I also seen House of Gucci which was good as was Lady Gaga who I am no fan of , and Al Pacino . The actor who I was most impressed with besides Adam Driver was Oscar winner Jeremy Irons whose acting was superb in this film and really made me take notice . I did not want to go to the theatre to see this film as I thought it was going to be a snooze fest and this movie started out and just picked up steam and was a really wonderful story . Highly recommend it !

Date: January 12, 2022 21:24

Big Al
liddas

I am a big fan of the James Bond franchise and to me Daniel Craig's 007 was a dark brooding bad ass unlike Connery, Moore , Brosnan ,whom I love all of them , but the darkness in how Daniel Craig portrayed 007 was very refreshing to me and he sure did love his drink a LOT ! . Disappointed that they killed him off but that to me shows me how good the writing was where they took the fork in the road and surprised me . 5 Bond films puts Craig in the top of the Pantheon with Connery and Sir Roger Moore ! Who probably is my favorite Bond as he was such a ladies man and a total bad ass as well !

Date: January 12, 2022 22:23

TheGreek
Big Al
TheGreek

I also seen House of Gucci which was good as was Lady Gaga who I am no fan of , and Al Pacino . The actor who I was most impressed with besides Adam Driver was Oscar winner Jeremy Irons whose acting was superb in this film and really made me take notice . I did not want to go to the theatre to see this film as I thought it was going to be a snooze fest and this movie started out and just picked up steam and was a really wonderful story . Highly recommend it !

agreed

saw it and like it in my tiny local theatre

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: January 12, 2022 23:07

I recently saw a british Film "the last bus" and it was quite good, very moving.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 13, 2022 23:40

rayrad, I agree on Licorice Pizza, and The Worst Person in the World, which I'm glad I caught at a film festival.

You didn't care for Power of Dog? I have to admit, if I had seen it alone, I might not have been able to take it. I saw it with a friend and we were both wowed by the intensity. I looked it up after to get a handle on sections I didn't understand, and liked it even better.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 14, 2022 00:24

I liked “Power of the Dog”

I kind of liked “House of Gucci”…

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 14, 2022 02:33

Summer of Soul tops my list.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 14, 2022 05:56

I missed Summer of Soul.

I wasn't a Bond aficionado, so maybe this is atypical...I enjoyed Daniel Craig in this last one very much. Raw and emotional (--relatively--) as others have stated.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 14, 2022 07:06

Havent seen yet but what's Tom like in Licorice Pizza ?????

ROCKMAN

Date: January 14, 2022 11:35

Rockman
Havent seen yet but what's Tom like in Licorice Pizza ?????

oh - fantastic!

he basically plays john huston

he and sean penn recreating a scene where penn has to jump a motorcycle on a golf course is gold

penn's character is based on william holden

and the lines that penn uses on his date with alana haim are all lifted from 'breezy', a 73 movie holden made with houston

Date: January 14, 2022 11:39

angee
rayrad, I agree on Licorice Pizza, and The Worst Person in the World, which I'm glad I caught at a film festival.

You didn't care for Power of Dog? I have to admit, if I had seen it alone, I might not have been able to take it. I saw it with a friend and we were both wowed by the intensity. I looked it up after to get a handle on sections I didn't understand, and liked it even better.

mrs rad and i both found 'power of the dog' kind of overwrought

benedict cumberpatch is a fantastic actor

but we just couldn't buy him as a cowboy

and we guessed his 'big secret' in the first 10 minutes

there's a lot of great acting in this - but all adding up to not very much, we thought

but hey, it's all very subjective!

one man's poison is another man's meat

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1702
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home