Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones Albums vs. Beatles Albums Discussion [PART VI]
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 10, 2022 23:12

Aftermath vs. Rubber Soul

There's no argument that both albums are huge breakthroughs artistically for each groups. There's no right or wrong answer. I'm going with Aftermath. I'm using the UK version as it is far better than the US release.

The Beatles 4
Stones 2

Re: Rolling Stones Albums vs. Beatles Albums Discussion [PART VI]
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 10, 2022 23:20

Rubber Soul all the way. A landmark album. Maybe the Beatles best. While Aftermath has some great songs there are too may average ones.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 10, 2022 23:51

Jackpot for The Beatles! A complete album of great tracks!

Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man, I'm Looking Through You, In My Life ... just those 4 are probable enough to dethrone the Stones. Add Michelle, The Word, Drive My Car, What Goes On, Girl, etc. and no contest on this one.

Aftermath I always felt was overrated on here (I know the US version better). You can't go wrong w/ Paint It Black and Lady Jane ... and Under My Thumb ... but after that it is mostly average. Songs like Stupid Girl, Think, I Am Waiting are all decent, but nothing great there, imo. And I never liked Going Home much.

Beatles take this one: Stones 5, Beatles 1

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 11, 2022 02:29

A classic from the Stones where they're finally writing all their own material, but going against the Beatles who are continuously blazing trails with their superior originality...it's no contest - Rubber Soul for the win.

BEATLES 6, Stones 0.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-11 02:30 by Hairball.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 11, 2022 02:51

Rubber Soul easily. Aftermath is also great though.

Date: January 11, 2022 09:29

A tough one. Is it possible to make it a draw? smiling smiley

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: January 11, 2022 09:55

Aftermath.
Rubber Soul has some great songs but Aftermath has more, it’s more rocking for sure.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 11, 2022 12:14

Aftermath is very good, and yes, it's the first LP of all Jagger-Richards originals. Let's not forget, however, The Beatles achieved this two whole years earlier, with A Hard Day's Night. It's Rubber Soul all the way, for me. The Stones were not quite there yet: their contemporary singles were terrific, though: 19th Nervous Breakdown, Paint it, Black, and Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?. Nope, let's wait 'till 68. winking smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 11, 2022 13:09

I know that I am in the minority here, but I find the US version of Aftermath way better than the UK counterpart: more concise and a with a stronger opening.

That said, even the UK version wins hands down over Rubber Soul!

Aftermath vs Rubber Soul is Rolling Stones vs Beatles at the essence.

I know, I know, on Rubber Soul the vocal parts are better, the melodies are great, the harmonies are way above average for pop songs, the playing is great etc. etc., but as a matter of fact in my whole life, I've spent more time listening to the finale of Going Home alone, than the entire Beatles discography (including solo releases)

C

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 11, 2022 13:28

The U.S. Aftermath has a terribly boring sleeve in comparison to the U.K. original; the latter is almost pop-art and, in my opinion, is up there with the Beatles' Revolver and The Kinks', Face to Face. Very 1966.

The track-listing of the U.S. Aftermath is weaker, too. Okay, so Paint It, Black is a stellar opening - although it's a slighter shorter edit, isn't it? - and Going Home is in it's rightful place, I suppose. As liddas proves, however: it's all very subjective!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 11, 2022 14:41

I am not a big fan of the Beatles and I probably prefer listening to Aftermath in some ways, but there is no doubt that Rubber Soul is by far the better album.
In composition, in variety, in melodies, in scope, in lyrics.
Moreover, I think it's their only album with not a single weak or silly song on it.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 11, 2022 16:15

'Rubber Soul' is pleasant and sounds great. It could even be considered the Beatles' best, though for me it is not their best...and it's certainly not better than 'Aftermath' for me. This is the Stones' first win, IMHO.

As it has been said, the comparison of 'Aftermath' and 'Rubber Soul' is the comparison of the Beatles and the Stones at their essence.

The Beatles as pop rock and the Stones as blues rock. Of course there's more to it than that, but at the essence it's all there.

"Going Home" alone makes 'Aftermath' my favorite pre-1968 Stones album, and the track is a great closer on the US version. For me, "Under My Thumb" is another draw to 'Aftermath' and my favorite Stones song from the '66-'67 era, more so than "Paint It, Black". I also love "I am Waiting" (also check out the Lindsey Buckingham cover if you haven't) and the Satisfaction piano teaser on "Flight 505".

As a side note, I once took half of 'Rubber Soul' and half of 'Revolver' and made a pretty killer album (I think I called it 'Rubber Revolver') but I suppose I'm the weirdo who doesn't think 'Rubber Soul' or 'Revolver' as stand alone records are all they're cracked up to be.

Beatles 5 Stones 1

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-25 16:07 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 12, 2022 21:12

Stones 6. Beatles 0.

I also have it Abba 5--- Beatles 1
Monkees3-- Beatles 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home