Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Days of Rage- Miami 1969 footage
Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: January 10, 2022 18:35

There isa new Stones documentary called "Days of Rage", all about the Stones and the lead up to Altamont. There is some brief footage of the band live in 1969 that I haven't seen before and I am pretty sure its from Miami, because Mick is wearing the same outfit that he wore at Altamont and as far as I know he didn't wear this anywhere else in 69.

Re: Days of Rage- Miami 1969 footage
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 10, 2022 23:46

For more information, and a trailer, see [www.imdb.com]

What I found odd about the trailer is that I'm sure I'd seen a lot of the colour film previously most likely in the Maysles film.

Do the Stones or the Maysles own the permissions to re-use that stuff?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: January 11, 2022 00:04

It's like one of those videos they used to sell in petrol stations in England, couldn't get the rights to the original songs and used Stonesy music instead...

Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: January 11, 2022 02:15

I think you're right about it being from Miami - you can tell the stage is way too high to be Altamont, and you can see Mick's breath. I pulled the clip in question:

[we.tl]

I'll have to check the film and see if there's anything else.

Date: January 11, 2022 03:08

Well, I paid a few bucks to stream the film on Vimeo and didn't see anything but MSG and Altamont footage, unfortunately. I'll take one more look just in case before my rental period is up but looks like it's a bust.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: January 11, 2022 06:29

I watched this a while ago on Prime or one of those apps, and it was not very good. I'll re-watch and see if my first impression was true.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: January 11, 2022 06:48

automaticchanger
I think you're right about it being from Miami - you can tell the stage is way too high to be Altamont, and you can see Mick's breath. I pulled the clip in question:

[we.tl]

I'll have to check the film and see if there's anything else.

I watched your clip and also saw MICK's breath. Why would you see MICK's breath in Miami? It never gets cold there. Maybe not Altamont but someplace cold.

It's playing on HBOMax if anyone subscribes to that.

Date: January 11, 2022 07:37

"4 a.m. on the first day of December — thirty more days until 1970 — and it is bitter, bitter cold in West Palm Beach, Florida [...] Thirty thousand kids are huddled before a makeshift stage vainly trying to stop the insistent wind from pushing the swamp’s primeval damp through every hole in their torn army jackets, dirty sleeping bags, raveled sweaters, and patched-up jeans"

A passage from Michael Lydon's book 'The Rolling Stones Discover America'

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 11, 2022 14:40

john lomax

There is a new Stones documentary called "Days of Rage", all about the Stones and the lead up to Altamont.

The 2020 DVD + Stream was also mentioned here - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Trailer: [www.YouTube.com] , [iorr.org] .

Date: January 13, 2022 07:28

I did take one more look at the full doc and managed to scope out a few more clips from the Miami show. I was able to sync up Flash and what I think is Stray Cat. I put it up on YouTube but here's a wetransfer:

[we.tl]

I don't believe that this footage is actually from the Maysles film crew, for two reasons: 1) all the Maysles footage from MSG and Altamont that is used in the Doc has a license credit on display, whereas this does not. 2) The footage shot by the Associated Press of Jumpin Jack Flash from MSG is used without a license credit on display (though they are credited at the end), and the quality of the footage matches with this Miami clip. Lastly, I've known for a while about an entry in the AP archive for footage of the Miami show that apparently features the Stones, but is not available for previewing:

[www.aparchive.com]

I tried requesting to see this clip more than once and had no luck, but if this is the same thing it's all there is.

Sorry for the novel of text!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 13, 2022 09:04

thank you

great job

any other rare footage you know about but haven't been able to get?

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: January 13, 2022 17:11

Date: January 13, 2022 20:56

ProfessorWolf
thank you

great job

One or two things but nothing definite yet.

Date: January 14, 2022 08:08

automaticchanger
ProfessorWolf
thank you

great job

One or two things but nothing definite yet.

well good luck

can't wait to see what you find next

Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: January 14, 2022 23:37

Strange this was on sky arts (uk) a few days ago. And now on BBC 4 tonight is crossfire hurricane followed by totally stripped. Weird it's as if...narrr can't be.. oh well good to dream.

Date: January 15, 2022 00:14

Strange this was on sky arts (uk) a few days ago. And now on BBC 4 tonight is crossfire hurricane followed by totally stripped. Weird it's as if...narrr can't be.. oh well good to dream.
Love the thoughtthumbs up

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: January 15, 2022 00:55

automaticchanger
I did take one more look at the full doc and managed to scope out a few more clips from the Miami show. I was able to sync up Flash and what I think is Stray Cat. I put it up on YouTube but here's a wetransfer:

[we.tl]

Thanks !!!

AP footage of Miami 1969
Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: January 19, 2022 08:31

On my Facebook feed yesterday there was a post from Associated Press with over an hour of footage from the 1969 West Palm Beach festival, with about10 minutes of Stones content at the end (it is the footage used in the Days of Rage documentary). It includes audio as well. Songs shown were JJF, Strat Cat, Midnight Rambler, Live With Me and a bit of Little Queenie. Did anyone else see this?

Re: AP footage of Miami 1969
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 19, 2022 08:35

Yeah watched it over RocksOff ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 19, 2022 08:43

It's on Associated Press archive website.
Just put a filter for Rolling Stones and a date filter for 1969...

Thanks for the heads up!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 19, 2022 08:47

Yes, on Associated Press archive website > West Palm Beach rock festival

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: January 19, 2022 08:49

Just great! THX

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: January 19, 2022 08:54

I’ve uploaded it to Buy/Sell/Trade forun

Date: January 19, 2022 09:48

john lomax
On my Facebook feed yesterday there was a post from Associated Press with over an hour of footage from the 1969 West Palm Beach festival, with about10 minutes of Stones content at the end (it is the footage used in the Days of Rage documentary). It includes audio as well. Songs shown were JJF, Strat Cat, Midnight Rambler, Live With Me and a bit of Little Queenie. Did anyone else see this?

Didn't know this excisted. Thanks!!

Date: January 19, 2022 12:14

just wow

i wonder how much more footage the ap has like this?

this has to be the earliest footage of them performing gimme shelter

am i right?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 19, 2022 12:31

Nice! smoking smiley

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: January 19, 2022 15:40

How funny! Yesterday I was browsing Stones bootlegs on YT and came across audio of this show. Then I read some stories about it and watched other footage. I was surprised how terribly organized this festival was. Maybe even worse than Altamont but nobody got killed in front of the cameras so it was not that famous and people largely have forgotten about this festival.

Some interesting reading with footage and photos are here: [www.thepalmbeaches.com]

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: January 19, 2022 15:55

ProfessorWolf
just wow

am i right?

If you click on the UPITN link there are a few more clips from various places.
The video comes from the TV arm of UPI (United Press International), the AP's former biggest rival until its collapse (though it still exists in some form). UPITN changed to another name, and the AP eventually bought it and it makes up the base of the AP's TV arm, known as APTN (Associated Press Television News).

Date: January 19, 2022 22:37

ProfessorWolf
just wow

am i right?

I've spent time going through the AP site and knew about this clip (it wasn't viewable before) but never found anything else that wasn't already circulating. If Bill Graham's video(s) of the Oakland shows still exist, that would be the earliest GS.

Date: January 20, 2022 02:38

automaticchanger
ProfessorWolf
just wow

am i right?

I've spent time going through the AP site and knew about this clip (it wasn't viewable before) but never found anything else that wasn't already circulating. If Bill Graham's video(s) of the Oakland shows still exist, that would be the earliest GS.

yes i remember you mentioning that but i assumed it was just something like that short clip from days of rage not the 10 minutes of footage thats in this video

i sure hope those bill graham videos surface soon

given how much new footage from 69 that has been showing up lately i got some hopesmiling smiley

plus the complete video of detroit 69 as wellgrinning smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home