Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Rolling Stones Special Stamps GB
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 15, 2022 12:20

UrbanSteel

[www.45worlds.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 15, 2022 13:05

Yeah, Royal Mail actually uses the version BV made or at least used as a IORR fan club logo. Of course, the original idea and version is from IORR album.

Cool.thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 15, 2022 13:08

CaptainCorella
His Majesty
Rollin92

I would have expected better from a publicly funded organisation such as the Royal Mail.

Royal Mail was privatised in 2015.

I was unaware of that. How come they can still be 'ROYAL' Mail? Aren't the Royals more than a little protective of that being added to things?

I suppose you could ask why they wouldn’t want the connection? It’s historical, I suppose. Henry VIII played a role in the very beginnings, so why not? And the Queen still appears on U.K. stamps. The continuing usage of ‘Royal’ would’ve had Cabinet Office approval, I believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-15 13:11 by Big Al.

Date: January 15, 2022 14:10

Doxa

Yeah, Royal Mail actually uses the version BV made or at least used as a IORR fan club logo. Of course, the original idea and version is from IORR album.

There seem to be more versions of this lettering:

IORR-LP US-version 1974 - [www.Discogs.com]

The lettering (with tongue) used on BV's IORR-Magazine was also on a Promo-Sticker for the RS-Album - see Matt Lee's Hot-Stuff-Book, page 112.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-15 14:25 by Irix.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: January 15, 2022 14:38

Irix
Doxa

The lettering (with tongue) used on BV's IORR-Magazine was also on a Promo-
Sticker for the RS-Album - see Matt Lee's Hot-Stuff-Book, page 112.

Thanks Irix

With others words it is a original Rolling Stones logo to promote It's Only Rock 'N' Roll.

Date: January 15, 2022 15:00

UrbanSteel

With others words it is a original Rolling Stones logo to promote It's Only Rock 'N' Roll.

And Merchandise - [iorr.org] :

Date: January 15, 2022 15:00

Concept-Artwork for the promotion of the IORR-Album, Matt Lee's Hot-Stuff-Book, page 115.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 15, 2022 15:06

My friend in England doesn't want me to pay for my set of stamps (he ordered for me) as I'm getting hammered by medical bills right now. Is very nice of him!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 15, 2022 15:13

CaptainCorella
His Majesty

Royal Mail was privatised in 2015.

I was unaware of that. How come they can still be 'ROYAL' Mail? Aren't the Royals more than a little protective of that being added to things?

I think it is because of historical aspects such as them still being the official handlers of the queens mail.

Continuing history, they are still, unlike their competitors, duty bound to deliver to every address in UK,

Date: January 15, 2022 15:15

Irix

Concept-Artwork for the promotion of the IORR-Album, Matt Lee's Hot-Stuff-Book, page 115.

Nice job.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: January 15, 2022 18:04

Doxa

Cool.thumbs up

- Doxa

The U.S. Mail did a Statue of Liberty stamp a few years ago. Unfortunately they used the Las Vegas version and had to pay the sculptor millions for copyright infringement.

[money.com]

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 16, 2022 18:04

Doxa

Cool.thumbs up

- Doxa

Oh, duh. Thanks for that, Doxa.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 16, 2022 18:30

Irix
Doxa

IORR-LP US-version 1974 - [www.Discogs.com]

The lettering (with tongue) used on BV's IORR-Magazine was also on a Promo-Sticker for the RS-Album - see Matt Lee's Hot-Stuff-Book, page 112.

I have that sticker on one of my copies of the album.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 19, 2022 01:11

Irix

That is messed up folks. The part around the eyes makes it a Mick-Keef hybrid and the outsized spraycan made me think of a deodorant at first. Also, too many watches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-19 01:13 by Nikkei.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 19, 2022 02:08

Nikkei
Irix

That is messed up folks. The part around the eyes makes it a Mick-Keef hybrid and the outsized spraycan made me think of a deodorant at first. Also, too many watches.

It is said/rumoured/who really knows, that Mick & Keef (and others I guess) did go around graffitti spray painting "Its Only Rock And Roll" in order to promote the album. There WAS spray painting, buy no evidence I ever saw to link it directly to the Glimmer Twins.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 19, 2022 05:18

CaptainCorella
Nikkei
Irix

It is said/rumoured/who really knows, that Mick & Keef (and others I guess) did go around graffitti spray painting "Its Only Rock And Roll" in order to promote the album. There WAS spray painting, buy no evidence I ever saw to link it directly to the Glimmer Twins.

As you say, around London definitely. An example can be seen in Roy Carr's "An illustrated record" - page 83.

I had a vinyl copy of iorr in the 70's with a cardboard cut out of the curvy "It's only rock 'n' roll" stuck on the front of the album. It was from a shop display. I saw it, went in an asked if they would save it for me when they changed their display.............."Yes".........Unfortunately lost somewhere along the line..............
Along with my sister's ticket for Cardiff '73.... confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-19 05:20 by EddieByword.

Date: January 19, 2022 11:51

EddieByword

As you say, around London definitely. An example can be seen in Roy Carr's "An illustrated record" - page 83.

I had a vinyl copy of iorr in the 70's with a cardboard cut out of the curvy "It's only rock 'n' roll" stuck on the front of the album. It was from a shop display. I saw it, went in an asked if they would save it for me when they changed their display.............."Yes".........Unfortunately lost somewhere along the line..............

Here you go.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 19, 2022 13:17

UrbanSteel
EddieByword

Here you go.

That's the one............thumbs up

Date: January 20, 2022 14:20

These stamps came out today, what does everyone think now you can see them 'in the flesh' - better or worse than expected/feared?!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 20, 2022 14:43

Irix
UrbanSteel

[www.45worlds.com]

Interesting in that they modified bv's version slightly.
Removed the tongue, and also added a contraction in front of the 'N.
Wonder if by modifying it they avoid copyright issues.

Date: January 20, 2022 14:55

MisterDDDD

It's strange that The Rolling Stones adapted a Logo in 1974 from BV's fan club magazine in the 80s, while this logo was already used in 1974, in other words BV borrowed it.
See the decal from 1974.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 20, 2022 15:07

UrbanSteel
MisterDDDD

It's strange that The Rolling Stones adapted a Logo in 1974 from BV's fan club magazine in the 80s, while this logo was already used in 1974, in other words BV borrowed it.
See the decal from 1974.

I was referring to the RM modifying bv's version, as I somehow thought the decal was added to later editions.
Either way, I guess the RM decided punctuation was important in their stamp release.. oddly not for "Its" though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-20 15:10 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 28, 2022 22:48

Anyone in Germany recieved these yet? I'm curious how they arrived, like which service, Detsche Post, DHL, Hermes, DPD or GLS? My email said they're sent with no tracking which has made me nervous.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: January 28, 2022 22:54

frankotero
Anyone in Germany recieved these yet? I'm curious how they arrived, like which service, Detsche Post, DHL, Hermes, DPD or GLS? My email said they're sent with no tracking which has made me nervous.

I ordered several items which they sent out in 4 different packs. 2 of them already arrived on Monday and wednesday via Deutsche Post.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: January 28, 2022 23:59

Yep. Sent without tracking code, through royal mail and deutsche post.
The stamps are cool, I like it.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: January 29, 2022 01:31

My sister was 50 today and I sent her card with the modern era core band on stage photo. It went down well. She’s not a fan but she came with me to the Coventry 2018 show as my lucky dip partner and enjoyed it. We scored my 1st ever Pit thumbs up.

Date: January 29, 2022 08:22

Thank you for the information. I'll be looking forward to the Deutsche Post at my door. Cheers!

Date: January 29, 2022 12:30

frankotero

Thank you for the information. I'll be looking forward to the Deutsche Post at my door.

Parcels sent from UK via Royal Mail will be delivered in Germany by different parcel services (currently GLS or DHL) - even it's the same sender - [iorr.org] , [de.Wikipedia.org] .

Date: January 29, 2022 15:52

OK, thanks for the information lrix. Think mine is held up in Customs, maybe other people were lucky and it went straight to them.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home