Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: New Altamont footage
Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 11, 2022 08:19

Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter (Altamont, Dec.6, 1969) Ira Schneider

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 11, 2022 08:20

automaticchanger
I'm a technician in a education-related archive, yes - the reels are (presumably) school related-footage.

interesting

that helps explain some of your interests and skills with video editing

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: January 11, 2022 08:33

runaway
Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter (Altamont, Dec.6, 1969) Ira Schneider

video: [youtu.be]

Thanks for the link.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: January 11, 2022 08:56

Here is a comparison of Ira Schneider and Maysles Brothers footage. (Jefferson Airplane)

[youtu.be]

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: January 11, 2022 23:20

ok I think I saw a glimpse of Passero...lots of black "NY heavy" who I went nuts trying to find with no luck...mel beli.
what say you bemused??

Posted by: KSAM ()
Date: January 12, 2022 05:43

Here’s an interesting clip of Charlie and Mick listening to a post mortem of Altamont on the radio and a Hell’s Angel calls in. Mick looks glazed while Charlie opines…..

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 12, 2022 06:19

Lazy Day with sound ....................

ROCKMAN

Date: January 12, 2022 06:24

Rockman

thanks

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 12, 2022 06:26

Pleasure Professor .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: January 12, 2022 08:24

Albert Maysles told me a book was being done on George Lucas. Albert got the call asking if they could put George down as a cameraman on Gimme Shelter. Albert checked with the lab and they told him that the footage George shot, came back exposed, with nothing on it. And when viewed , they only saw white dust particles… the lab guys teased that they figured that’s where George got the idea for Star Wars..

ProfessorWolf
bmuseed
That's exactly what happened...Maysles called out to camerapeople to film..We bought the footage from them. Here is the estimate cost from David Maysles .George Lucas was one of them....thanks for the recommendation..Ronnie Schneider

wow so it really is that george lucas

i always wondered after i noticed it in the credits but figured it was someone else

huh wonder if he's ever talked about it in interviews?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 12, 2022 13:16

Rockman

That's well done! Thanks

Edit - credit should go to Jackson Fishauf for the excellent work

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-12 13:20 by Eleanor Rigby.

Date: January 12, 2022 18:40

bmuseed
Albert Maysles told me a book was being done on George Lucas. Albert got the call asking if they could put George down as a cameraman on Gimme Shelter. Albert checked with the lab and they told him that the footage George shot, came back exposed, with nothing on it. And when viewed , they only saw white dust particles… the lab guys teased that they figured that’s where George got the idea for Star Wars..

ProfessorWolf
bmuseed
That's exactly what happened...Maysles called out to camerapeople to film..We bought the footage from them. Here is the estimate cost from David Maysles .George Lucas was one of them....thanks for the recommendation..Ronnie Schneider

wow so it really is that george lucas

i always wondered after i noticed it in the credits but figured it was someone else

huh wonder if he's ever talked about it in interviews?

cool story

thanks for sharing

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 17, 2022 16:55

Who shot the mystery film of the Rolling Stones at Altamont?

Internet sleuths try to figure out the person behind the newly unearthed footage of the notorious 1969 concert

By Michael E. Ruane
January 17, 2022

Maysles Films

Was it the man in the blue shirt with the mustache and sideburns holding up the small, three-lens movie camera?

Was it the guy with curly brown hair and a tan shirt aiming a black camera at Jefferson Airplane?

Was it the man in the light green shirt, squinting with one eye as he filmed right in front of the stage?

Was it someone else?

After the Library of Congress announced on Jan. 4 that it had unearthed never-before-seen film of the notorious Rolling Stones 1969 concert at Altamont, near San Francisco, the question became: Who shot the footage?

“Immediately, we started getting … tips: ‘I wonder who the cameraman could be,’” said Mike Mashon, who is head of the library’s moving-image section and unveiled the find in a blog post. “It’s a super-interesting question.”

“As a next step, I would absolutely love to” find whoever made the film, he said, although “there’s a part of me that wonders if this person is still alive.”

If the person was 20 in 1969, he or she would be over 70 today. This is a “hunt for a face in the crowd,” Mashon said.

The free Dec. 6, 1969, concert at the Altamont Speedway was a dark milestone in the fading social revolution of the 1960s — a scene of stunning violence, a killing, three accidental deaths, and rampant drug and alcohol abuse. About 300,000 people attended.

Asked in a telephone interview how important it was to find the filmmaker, Mashon paused and said: “Honestly, not terribly important. But we would like to acknowledge this person. … It would enhance our enjoyment of the footage.”

“We’d love to know more about this person and their story and to be able to thank them,” he said.

The film is 26 minutes long. It’s silent, on two reels, and was probably shot by someone on or very close to the stage. Both reels seem to come from the same camera.

Mashon said the “Super 8”-type 8-millimeter film was considered “abandoned” when it was acquired by chance in 2002 in a huge batch of reels from a film archivist.

The archivist, Rick Prelinger, got it in the 1990s when he acquired a cache of old reels from Palmer Films, a San Francisco company that was going out of business.

The film had apparently been dropped off there to be developed in 1969 but was never picked up.

Held at the library’s Packard Campus of the National Audio-Visual Conservation Center in Culpeper, Va., it is now considered the property of the American people, Mashon said.

The first reel, filmed during the day, features Santana; Jefferson Airplane; Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young; and the Flying Burrito Brothers.

The second reel, shot at night, features the Rolling Stones.

Sleuths on the Internet — including one in Australia and one in Spain — as well as a photo archivist in California have found four people who might have made the film.

The first is a man in a blue shirt who was spotted by Chris Haskett, a musician originally from Washington now living outside Sydney.

After seeing a Washington Post story about the discovery, Haskett spotted the man while reviewing the 1970 documentary about the concert, “Gimme Shelter.”

“I’m a huge music fan,” he said, adding, “I’m very familiar with ‘Gimme Shelter.’”

When he saw the new footage, he said he thought: “Oh, my God! This is fantastic! Look at Santana.”

“I’d forgotten about all the other bands that played,” he said.

“They are just wailing,” he said. “You’re like, ‘Oh my God. … I really wish I could hear this.’ … I was blown away. I am guitar player. … I was just kind of nerding out.”

A screenshot he provided from “Gimme Shelter” shows the man holding a small camera with three lenses.

But after some investigation, Mashon said in a blog post Thursday that the Keystone K-27 camera the man had did not shoot Super 8 film.

“So, unless he was working with two cameras, he’s not our guy,” Mashon wrote.

The second candidate is a man seen only from above and behind in a photo from the concert. He was spotted by João Gil, a Portuguese marine biologist living in Blanes, Spain, northeast of Barcelona.

The photo was taken by Bill Owens, a freelance photographer hired by the Associated Press to cover the concert. He lives in Hayward, Calif.

The candidate has wavy brown hair and a light brown jacket and appears to have a black Super 8 Kodak Instamatic camera.

“Right camera, right place, right time,” Mashon wrote. “He checks out. There’s nothing we’ve seen to disqualify him.”

Gil said he was “almost sure” it’s the person who took the footage. “It sure is a captivating story,” he said, “a quest to find the … author of such an interesting document picturing a turning point” in modern culture.

The third candidate was spotted last week in a photo provided by Owens’s archive. The man is wearing a green jacket and has what looks like a Canon 318, which used Super 8 film, Mashon said.

The man is so close to the action that he’s leaning against one of the music monitors at the front of the stage. He is clearly seen in profile, squinting with one eye as he films.

“But he appears to be camped out at center stage,” Mashon wrote on his blog. Much of the daytime footage in the mystery film seems to have been taken from left of the stage, as viewed from the audience. “That apparently rules him out,” Mashon wrote.

The fourth candidate is the man with a beard wearing a blue shirt, also spotted in “Gimme Shelter” by Haskett. The man is seen at night, during the Rolling Stones’ performance. He is in partial profile, his face slightly obscured by his camera.

“He’s shooting with a Super 8 camera, a Technicolor Super V, which could have shot our footage,” Mashon wrote of him. And he is roughly in the right spot to have shot the second reel. “Can’t rule him out,” Mashon wrote.

There were probably many others with home movie cameras there that day. But thus far only these candidates have emerged.

“At the moment, it’s our best guess that our mystery man is #2, Brown Jacket Man with the Instamatic,” Mashon wrote. “He’s in just the right spot working with just the right camera. As luck would have it, he’s the only one whose face we can’t see.”

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: January 17, 2022 18:35

Well it look that there is another snippet on YT from another source.

video: [www.youtube.com]

HMN

Date: January 19, 2022 15:13

Anyone have an idea what songs are being played for the Stones section?

I'm thinking the film starts around the end of Sympathy.
We "seem" to get The Sun Is Shining and Stray Cat Blues.
But the footage chops and changes a bit which is weird.
Feels like Under My Thumb is in there also.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: January 19, 2022 15:40

Eleanor Rigby

UMT is in there. The fottage contains the guy on acid (on stage) that tryes to rip his hear off. He gets lifted off stage by the Hells Angels after a while.

Posted by: lenchik ()
Date: January 19, 2022 16:46

Eleanor Rigby

The first 30 seconds are “Love in vain”, we see MT playing slide guitar.

Date: January 19, 2022 21:05

lenchik
Eleanor Rigby

The first 30 seconds are “Love in vain”, we see MT playing slide guitar.

Taylor plays slide guitar during "The Sun is Shining" also.
The fact that Jagger is smiling/clapping leads me to believe it's this song.....impromptu bluesy song.

"Love in Vain' is possible as it is around the right period of the show.

Date: January 19, 2022 22:22

Eleanor Rigby

THat's "love in Vain" for sure. I've already tried audio and it matched pefectly.

Now if anyone could identify the song that starts at 15:04 mark...

Date: January 19, 2022 22:49

lenchik
Eleanor Rigby

THat's "love in Vain" for sure. I've already tried audio and it matched pefectly.

If I were to guess I'd say Stray Cat Blues.

Date: January 20, 2022 00:51

lenchik
Eleanor Rigby

Please share your synced sound.

Yeah - Stray Cat is my guess also...Taylor seems to be playing a heavy solo

Date: January 20, 2022 07:55

I will share for sure once finished.
“Stray cat blues” is also featured at the end of the film. Does it mean this footage combines shots from Two cameras?

Date: January 20, 2022 08:26

lenchik
I will share for sure once finished.
“Stray cat blues” is also featured at the end of the film. Does it mean this footage combines shots from Two cameras?

this is where it gets weird.
There's UMT footage 'before' Stray Cat Blues.
Not sure how the processing was done whether they combined 2 seperate reels of footage together but in the wrong order?

Date: January 20, 2022 10:37

I contacted the folks from the LOC and they told there were no “digital edits”. So, it seems there were several reels that weren’t numbered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-20 10:45 by lenchik.

Date: January 20, 2022 11:06

lenchik
I contacted the folks from the LOC and they told there were no “digital edits”. So, it seems there were several reels that weren’t numbered.

S.T.P, Eleanor Rigby - you were right, it’s indeed “Stray cat blues”, so we get this performance from two camera angles!

Nice. Good work!!

Date: January 20, 2022 11:23

Good job! Thanks

So it's footage from Stray Cat to Under My Thumb.
Amazing....as the guy had a camera during the stabbing. Must have been mayhem!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-20 11:27 by Eleanor Rigby.

Date: January 20, 2022 22:23

Well, after several iterations it turned out that we have a bit of Carol and SFTD, not Stray Cat Blues as we thought.
Here is sample for you to judge -
[youtu.be]

Date: January 21, 2022 05:25

lenchik
Well, after several iterations it turned out that we have a bit of Carol and SFTD, not Stray Cat Blues as we thought.
Here is sample for you to judge -
[youtu.be]

nice effort.

I'm not sure it's Sympathy.
Notice from 0.32 to the end, Jagger is completing a song with a bow to the crowd.
The time from the microphone/last words of song to the bow (end of song) has to be any of:
Stray Cat, Carol or Sun is Shining

Date: January 21, 2022 09:44

Eleanor Rigby
Notice from 0.32 to the end, Jagger is completing a song with a bow to the crowd.
The time from the microphone/last words of song to the bow (end of song) has to be any of:
Stray Cat, Carol or Sun is Shining

It's none of these - i've checked.

"I was 'round" line matched well, I think. It's likely someone turned off Jagger's mike so that we barely hear the word "pain" from the next line. And to indicate that the band should finish the song Jagger took a bow. This is just my theory.

Date: January 22, 2022 17:06

Respectably disagree, I reckon the last vocals are Stray Cat Blues...with the bow...
It's the end of the song and Jagger bows to the crowd.
It's definitely not SDTD...it can't be as the song goes longer.
But I love the intrigue...and the effort with the sync

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home