Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: 1973 - a so-so year?
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 6, 2022 01:56

At least there are 4 albums I remember as a letdown; "Brain Salad Surgery" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer, "A Passion Play" by Jethro Tull, "Who Do We Think We Are" by Deep Purple and "Houses of The Holy" by Led Zeppelin.

Re: OT: 1973 - a so-so year?
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 6, 2022 02:12

Disagree. Who Do We Think We Are is indeed a dud but the others are great albums.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 6, 2022 02:52

1973 looks pretty good to me…
[www.besteveralbums.com]

Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: January 6, 2022 02:53

Any year with 'Time Fades Away', 'Raw Power' and the first NY Dolls album is pretty good in my book.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 6, 2022 03:05

More like the end of an era. The post-war "fordist" accumulation regime came to an end, signalled by the oil crisis, which ushered in a period of "stagflation" that in turn enabled the rise of the wildly successful "philosophy" of neoliberalism which then proceeded to f*ck up everything beyond recognition by the millennium.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 6, 2022 03:15

Debut Lynyrd Skynyrd - Dark Side Of The Moon, Houses Of The Holy, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Band On The Run..
Overall a very decent year imo smileys with beer

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 6, 2022 03:22

Few more not yet mentioned: Stevie Wonder’s Innervisions, Lou Reed’s Berlin, Tom Waits’ Closing Time, ZZ Top’s Tres Hombres, Hawkwind’s Space Ritual, The Who’s Quadrophenia, Genesis’ Selling England By The Pound, Queen’s debut, Aerosmith’s debut…

I love the variety of 1973.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-06 03:29 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 6, 2022 03:27

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 6, 2022 03:46

GOATS HEAD SOUP!

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: January 6, 2022 04:22

Nikkei
More like the end of an era. The post-war "fordist" accumulation regime came to an end, signalled by the oil crisis, which ushered in a period of "stagflation" that in turn enabled the rise of the wildly successful "philosophy" of neoliberalism which then proceeded to f*ck up everything beyond recognition by the millennium.

Agreed in large part. From a different angle — they say the 60’s ended with Altamont, but the ethos still remained and felt up to 1972 to some degree. That finally died in the following year.

For rock music fans in Japan, the year 1973 started with the last minute cancellation of the so anticipated first ever performances of The Rolling Stones on their turf, which was a massive letdown. That kind of shaped the overall negative impression of the year among them, a scar still vividly felt to this day.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 6, 2022 06:20

MisterDDDD
Debut Lynyrd Skynyrd - Dark Side Of The Moon, Houses Of The Holy, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Band On The Run..
Overall a very decent year imo smileys with beer

Yes, and I'll add Billion Dollar Babies to this list which hit #1 in the US replacing Dark Side.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 6, 2022 08:48

1973 was the ultimate year for the Stones, live. That's when they peaked, though the average fan didn't know that until they could somehow get a copy of Brussels Affair. Aladdin Sane. Springsteen's first album. A great year.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 6, 2022 10:07

Bowie - Aladdin Sane and Mott the Hoople - Mott

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: January 6, 2022 10:29

I was born in 1973, thus it was a fantastic year :-)

As far as popular music in this very year is concerned, there were some great releases such as
Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd
Arosmith - Aerosmith
Quadrophenia - The Who
Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye
Catch A Fire - Bob Marley & The Wailers
Aladdin Sane - David Bowie
Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield
Berlin - Lou Reed
... plus many others

PLUS, of course, Goats Head Soup, which is still one of my fav albums ever

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: January 6, 2022 10:45

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, last top rated Ozzy album with Sabbath
Burnin', last album with Peter and Bunny still part of the Wailers

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 6, 2022 10:52

I remember it as a fantastic year for me anyway. Seeing Bowie and the Spiders a couple of times on the last Ziggy outing, the Stones at Wembley Empire Pool, fantastic albums from the two of them and lots of other great stuff as already mentioned in this thread. Wasn't it also the year for Tubular Bells? Anyway, I liked Brain Salad Surgery!

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: January 6, 2022 11:14

Maybe a so-so year to actually live through but the music was incredible. Classic releases by Steely Dan, Sparks, Black Sabbath, Tom Waits, King Crimson, Beach Boys, Herbie Hancock, and the previously mentioned releases are from 1973. And Brain Salad Surgery is the best ELP album

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-06 11:15 by it's_all_wrong.

Date: January 6, 2022 11:26

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-06 11:27 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 6, 2022 12:27

Rockman

Concur. This alone made it a VERY GOOD..no.. a GREAT year. First date with the missus was Perth’s WACA show. Wonderful. And then we got Goats Head Soup. All good…

Rod

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 6, 2022 13:00

Innervisions alone makes 1973 one of the greatest years in music.

Of those not yet mentioned:

Ship Ahoy (O'Jays), For Your Pleasure & Street Life (Roxy Music), Volume 1 (Don Williams), Live at Carnegie Hall (Bill Withers), Fresh (Sly & The Family Stone), There Goes Rhymin' Simon (Paul Simon), David Ruffin (David Ruffin), Blue Ridge Rangers (John Fogerty), The Payback & Black Caesar (James Brown), Buckingham Nicks (Buckingham & Nicks), Betty Davis (Betty Davis), These Foolish Things (Bryan Ferry), Call Me & Livin' for You (Al Green), 3+3 (Isley Brothers), Masterpiece & 1990 (Temptations), Live in Japan (Jackson 5).

Oh yes... what a great year.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 6, 2022 13:09

1973 - I salute you!

Date: January 6, 2022 13:59

Status Quo - Hello

A great album from 1973.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 6, 2022 16:25

By 1973 we are inevitably way into the 70s, and neccesarily, the music will reflect this. Then comes the question; do you like it? The music has changed. Of course there are both "Dark Side of The Moon", "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and "Alladin Sane", and well, I like it, but the "long hair, T-shirt and denim thing" was no longer so appearent in music. Pink Floyd is no longer playing "space rock", but a more streamlined and concept-based version of themselves. You (still) have beer drinking, good-time rollers like Status Quo, but that`s another story.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 6, 2022 20:40

Difficult to say in general, but for me personally it was an exiting year. I finished my studies, was awarded a research scholarship to Japan, fullfilled a youth dream by meeting with eskimo's and other Greenlanders in impressive Greenland, and although it looked like I was going to miss the Rolling Stones (in the Netherlands) due to my travel to Japan, thanks to German friends of my parents I managed to get a concert ticket for the first of two Stones concerts in Hamburg, days before I left for Japan.
Weird thought these days: for the price of the return train ticket to Hamburg in 1973 I could have bought 5 Stones concert tickets that year. These days a return flight to New York is cheaper than a Rolling Stones ticket in that city grinning smiley
Apart from that I think 1973 delivered some great albums. apart from Goats Head Soup, acts like Led Zeppelin, Elton John, David Bowie and Bob Marley made some great music.

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 6, 2022 22:45

I think it’s my favorite year for music.

The Allman Bothers - Brothers and Sisters

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 7, 2022 09:45

I forgot that Disco was beginning to creep in. I was in basic training at the end of '73. Eddie Kendrick's 'Keep on Truckin' was on a jukebox. Yes, music was veering away from harder rock.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 7, 2022 12:53

1975 - THAT was bad.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 7, 2022 13:05

Bjorn
1975 - THAT was bad.

and 1974, perhaps?

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: January 7, 2022 13:52

Big Al
Bjorn
1975 - THAT was bad.

and 1974, perhaps?

So much great music released throughout the 70s, I miss that analog vibe and sound. Might have been more torturous to make music without the digital possibilities, but it sounds so much more organic.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 7, 2022 16:15

No way !

Greetings from Asbury Park, Beach Boys Holland, Little Feat Dixie Chicken, Billion Dollar Babies, Ooh La La, Catch a Fire, Band on the Run, Ringo , Beck Bogart Appice, Pat Garret & Billy the Kid , Blueprint Rory Gallagher, Still Alive & Well Johnny Winter, GOATS HEAD SOUP

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1595
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home